one-two (it's a stg and i made it)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Noah!

one-two (it's a stg and i made it)

Post by Noah! »

ok here's a game i finished (months) multiple years ago and i dunno maybe you can enjoy this. it's probably fun and sorta raizing-y and 16:10 TATE MODE
(note! as of 2014+ it's not really raizing-y. i'm kinda sad about that too)

macwinmp3src

you have a tap shot, a focus shot, and a bomb that recharges quickly. use them all and try to get to the end.

score by using your bomb a lot. yep it's one of those

[todo: take and add pictures again]

(misc notes)
• it might not run or it might run like shit and if that happens i'm sorry.
• ok now i'm not gonna do anything with feedback or complaints or bug reports. maybe. i don't wanna be shackled to this forever!
• if you fix or alter anything substantial (rendering engine, replay system, 色 label etc) feel free to do whatever, up to and including straight selling it. i don't really care. somebody already did that and i thought the ensuing backlash was really fun!
Last edited by Noah! on Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
shmuppyLove

Re: one-two (it's a stg and i made it)

Post by shmuppyLove »

Rad, dude. Seriously rad.

Great presentation, plays very nicely. Had no trouble getting it running and mapping my joystick (MC Cthulhu).
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

whoa it's beautiful

and I will rest easy knowing that the patron saint of the arts, Bob Ross, has smiled upon this endeavor.

Couple quick comments for the Windows release:
- __MACOSX folder, really? Must be compiling on a Mac.
- damn thing doesn't lose focus when you switch away from it
- VSYNC on by default? Bob Ross does not approve.

Having a console behind the game window is also kind of gnarly but I can deal.

Edit: A few quick impressions from the gameplay:

- Personally, I'm really over cheesy "emotionally stirring" music set to arbitrary shapes. Oh the humanity!
- More concretely, why does it take so long to start up the action?
- I'm not sure if it's a stroke of genius or corruption on the screen, in the pre-boss warning effect. Looks like scrambled Invaders.
- There's a lot more to this than I picked up right away. Estimated Influence: 0. That's business as usual.
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Whoa, two new indie games in two days, this is a fun game, there are parts like the beginning of stage 2 where the game speed increases at an almost abnormal rate and then stabilizes, I no missed the first stage and got to stage 3 before game over on my first try so this is a fresh first impression. The music is kickin', I'm glad you included an mp3 download. It is a tad difficult to see the bullets with the background being bright but I can adjust my monitor.
Good job 8) :!:

The track Strange Communication is so good.
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Still trying to figure out exactly how everything works, but can still say this is a very nice effort, especially since the OST is also free. Not sure my laptop is running it at full speed, but I'm enjoying myself regardless, heh. Many thanks!
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

I don't dislike it-- seems pretty polished for the most part. Not a huge fan of some of the graphics; overall I understand the visual style you're going for, and it's executed pretty well, but it's not my first choice personally. The music is nice too. Might give it some more play in the future. Either way, it certainly seems pretty well put together overall.

I know you claim not to care, but:
-Scoring seems really inconsistent-- my first run I didn't bomb at all, and ended up getting literally 4x as many points as on either subsequent run, when I was *trying* to bomb things based on how you described the scoring system.
-Maybe it's just me, but there sometimes isn't a ton of contrast between bullets, enemies, and background objects, which makes some parts kinda visually confusing.

Also, 16:10 tate is fun.
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

I like the visual style -- very reminiscent of HELLSINKER, but please make the bullets more distinguishable from your blue shot spread. :?
1CC List | YouTube Channel | Twitter | RebKMG/KMG
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Seems like a DAMN GOOD GAME.
Will give it a serious another try, after you patch it with more visible bullets. (I suggest dark pink, add sdoj-like glow behind them if you're cool guy) but right now it's hard to see enemy bullets when they mix with your own shot
• it might not run or it might run like shit and if that happens i'm sorry.
• i'm not gonna do anything with feedback or complaints or bug reports just fyi. i can rationalize them if you want but i don't feel like making revisions nor making any more games in the future. that's why i provided the source. fix the problems yourself.
• if you fix or alter anything substantial (rendering engine, replay system, 色 label etc) feel free to do whatever, up to and including selling it as your own thing and earning some benjs. i don't really care.
What the fuck? k, cagar label here we come...
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

Even the source looks like hellsinker :mrgreen:
btw how long did it take you to make this??
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Noah!

Post by Noah! »

okkk.....

here's a visibility patch (recolored shots) because i feel like the "your eyes adjust" argument isn't gonna fly. kinda ugly but lemme know if it helps

softdrink you managed to run into the one (i think) major scoring quirk in this game: if you do not touch the bomb button throughout the stage the game assumes you're trying for a no-bomb clear and jacks the end bonus up so that you can maybe get an extend or two.

the windows build was made by a sorta-friend since the only windows machine i have is one of those with an integrated chip optimized for microsoft word and not a whole lot else. so the quirks aren't really my fault except they are since i sorta signed off on them by being too nice to nitpick someone's porting my game for me. (this is also why i'm reluctant to make patches)

i think you can fix the focus issues by going into either of the input settings and setting polling to passive. it's active by default since with passive there's like a 1/10000 chance or something that the library will fail to report a key-off and your run gets fucked.

reasons for having ten seconds of dead air:
* it gives new people time to test out the controls.
* it gives old people time to refresh their nerves and get in the zone
* i kinda backed myself into a corner with the orchestration of the music and pure artist vision won out over good sense (i feel this is a common theme—half the reason everything's glowy and unreadable is because it also makes stuff look synthetic and less doujin-y)
* i've noticed that there is an inverse relationship between shmup quality and time to first exploding-thing. so maybe i subconsciously put that in as my game's big marring flaw to knock it down a few pegs in case i accidentally would've made something great.

oh and development took about a year though most of it was spent sleeping
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Noah! wrote: because i feel like the "your eyes adjust" argument isn't gonna fly. kinda ugly but lemme know if it helps
It looks better, totally not "ugly".
Anyways, I hope that you don't mind if I "cagar label" the game, like I did with giest118's trigonometry wars 3 redux.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

You didn't replace the "bullet shard" colors btw. (the destroyable enemy bullets)

Anyways, can you give us a little more info about scoring mechanics?
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Solid game, enjoying it :) Inverted mode is interesting since you sacrifice options to bomb, but seems like the big no-bomb bonus is still there? thanks for sharing and for the visibility patch. Runs fine for me on a laptop using windows 8
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

The patch has made this 100% more playable. My only complaint now is that I don't retain the same shot type and the beginning of every level.
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

What Aleksei said. It's not a huge deal; I'm sure I'll get used to it, since it's easy enough to change to the correct shot type again. Thanks for patching it like that, it really is much better this way. I don't mind the shards being the same color, since they never really have a chance to hit you anyways.

However, there are a couple places that feel weirdly balanced to me. The backwards-scrolling section of stage 3, for example. The enemies on the side walls seem to be way too hard to kill, which makes it a really tricky section since it lasts so long (unless there's an easy way to do it and I'm being silly). In the last stage, the fixed turrets have the same problem, although in that case it kinda makes sense because a) it's the last stage and b) they're spread out far enough from each other that it seems reasonable to dodge through without much issue.
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
Noah!

Post by Noah! »

the shards are colored in-game so i think i'd need to mess with the source to get them to look acceptable. which is kind of a bummer (since now there's this duality among the bullets); maybe i'll look into this more.

hadn't thought about having the option formation be persistent, though i'm not sure how to do it without hacks or architecture rewrites. (and to be honest i kinda wish i could've made the whole world persistent a la rayforce)

yo cagar (and anyone else interested) it's totally cool if you wanna do whatever. also here's a supplemental data file which has source files for the assets and stuff in case you wanna get extensive.

the proper way to handle the latter half of stage 3 is to set options to front and ignore them. the ballsy way is to bomb, get inside them, then try to get another bomb before invincibility wears off and repeat. the turrets are killable with a bit of prep and faith.

and now here's the gist of scoring so stop reading if you wanna figure it out on your own:

killing enemies with your bomb boosts your multiplier. bigger enemies give more mult than popcorn. everything killed gets scored as base value x mult.
the multiplier then decays. chain enemies to slow its decay (decay speed increases with your multiplier, decay-prevention based on the enemy's mult value). decay can also be slowed by attacking core boss parts.
get bomb energy by killing enemies. proximity determines how much you get. abuse post-bomb invincibility!
get HIT mainly by canceling bullets and attacking core boss parts. there are a couple places where you can cash in from this. outside of those it only matters for optimization. HIT is only factored into the end bonus.
extends are every 300 mil. dying gets you a shockwave and +3 bomb stock and no explicit penalty so suicide for score is a viable option. there's no end-game bonus so use up those lives.
inv label changes: killing enemies adds to the multiplier and also HIT based on the enemy's base value. killing stuff with your bomb nets you base value x mult x hit. after bomb HIT resets to 1. you can hit the bomb button multiple times to increase the length and size of your bomb. the chain doesn't decay but it can break.
Pteriforever

Post by Pteriforever »

I'm getting pretty severe slowdowns, is this intentional? Anyway, I quite like it. The mechanics are lots of fun ^.^
Starhall || Abmneshi || Starhall 2
RegalSin wrote:The art in my opinion is quesitonable, because it looks like it relies on computer art
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Made (my first ever) high-score thread here:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48213

Get posting scores, people!
Wyrmnus

Post by Wyrmnus »

Dat Enemy Bullet speed. Too fast :(
Check out my Youtube Channel! Pleeeeeeeease?
Latest Upload: DoDonPachi SaiDaiOuJou 360 1CC/DeathSmiles II X mode 1CC
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

microfolk

Post by microfolk »

The links are all down. :( Same for Cagar's label, that's a huge bummer. :(
Noah!

Post by Noah! »

uh ok so maybe it's time i stop fucking toying with people who care about the stuff i make.
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/122 ... index.html
here is a revision i made over a year ago yet never released because i am pathetic. it's basically cagar label but with the original ending and all the levels flow into each other now! hopefully it works.
there's some other stuff on that site too.
(i don't have binaries of the original or cagar label anymore sorry)

i wonder if i'll ever get better.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Well I took Cagar Label down because I thought that's what Master would've wanted...
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

*blush* "C...Cagar-kun..."
microfolk

Post by microfolk »

Noah! wrote:uh ok so maybe it's time i stop fucking toying with people who care about the stuff i make.
here is a revision i made over a year ago yet never released because i am pathetic. it's basically cagar label but with the original ending and all the levels flow into each other now! hopefully it works.

Oh my that's a lot of stuff. Thank you so much for sharing your game again, and with the source code too! I replied to this topic after realizing how I deleted the sources for your original game while clearing my HDD (I think I downloaded them years ago? I can't even remember) because I didn't know what they were... Then I remembered and I cursed myself for my stupidity, reading how the original game was fare more raizing-y makes me very curious about how it played.

I also have to give you a huge thank for sharing your garegga site again, I just recently began to tackle the beast and I've heard of your site but the only way to read it was through the wayback machine, which sadly didn't save the images. I can't wait to read the full version!
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

I'll second the thanks for sharing your creations again, including the Garegga site. I appreciate it.
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

Noah! wrote:uh ok so maybe it's time i stop fucking toying with people who care about the stuff i make.

Thank you very much for reuploading your works. I have rehosted your Garegga site at battlegareg.ga. I modified the front page text to add your username, but it seems like that might not be something you desire. If you want me to remove that (or change it in any way), or take the page down, feel free to PM on here.
Noah!

Post by Noah! »

Cagar wrote:Well I took Cagar Label down because I thought that's what Master would've wanted...
this isn't sdoj. i'm not your master. though if you wanna be a dress-up anime girl then that's cool with me. it's your life and i will support you in this.
(though in a sad way your instincts were probably right. maybe. it changes with the moon with me)
microfolk wrote:Oh my that's a lot of stuff. Thank you so much for sharing your game again, and with the source code too! I replied to this topic after realizing how I deleted the sources for your original game while clearing my HDD (I think I downloaded them years ago? I can't even remember) because I didn't know what they were... Then I remembered and I cursed myself for my stupidity, reading how the original game was fare more raizing-y makes me very curious about how it played.
: )

but basically the original game was a haphazard collection of compromises brought about by trying to reconcile contradictory fetishes, some of which had their roots in raizing and that's why i called it raizingy. but i don't think it ever really felt much like a yagawa game. i honestly don't know what it feels like now, or what it could be reasonably compared to. but it isn't much different from the original. just a lot more coherent, and you can thank cagar 100% for that.
KevinDDR wrote:Thank you very much for reuploading your works. I have rehosted your Garegga site at battlegareg.ga. I modified the front page text to add your username, but it seems like that might not be something you desire. If you want me to remove that (or change it in any way), or take the page down, feel free to PM on here.
oh wow i'm flattered

but nah you can keep the credit on there if you want. at this point i don't particularly care either way
horaceappleton

Post by horaceappleton »

hey i just played this for the first time! I liked it! ty for making it