Xenon 2 Megablast - Mega Drive vs. Master system or Neither

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
sdamike

Xenon 2 Megablast - Mega Drive vs. Master system or Neither

Post by sdamike »

Any opinions on which version to buy out of Sega Master System or Mega Drive? Or neither, is the game garbage?

From video's Im really liking the 8 bit audio on the master system but the mega drive does look alot better.
Seems like gameplay might be... terrible?

Thanks for any input!
chempop

Re: Xenon 2 Megablast - Mega Drive vs. Master system or Neit

Post by chempop »

I loved this game back in the day, suppose it was some DOS version though. I have no idea how the megadrive ver plays but I've been thinking about picking it up for old times sake.

Not necessarily a great game but certainly unique with all the weapons/shop system. A bit like Slap Fight with how your ship gets huge. I mainly want to play it again for nostalgia.
Last edited by chempop on Wed Feb 03, 2016 9:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Mero

Post by Mero »

I'd say it's crap tbh.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Xenon 2 was basically only a thing because of the music license. For one thing just look at the way everything moves; it's total shit. Also i can't stand the typical bitmap brothers graphics. Just skip this one.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I cannot comment on the Master System version, but I'll take a wild guess and speculate that it's equally as terrible as the MD version. Horrendous frame rate, atrocious hit detection, godawful flickering (especially if you use external autofire/mash the shot button - you can buy autofire in the shop, but you're still better off doing it manually or with external autofire :roll:), terrible design choices everywhere (typical Euroshmup design in that you will get hit no matter what, but you have an energy bar to compensate for that), mind-numbing five-second loop of a soundtrack (it's turned off by default for a reason), no redeeming qualities whatsoever unless you want a fair dose of insufferable shlock.

I can think of a few worse MD shooters (most of those unlicensed failures like The Earth Defend, Adventurous Boy or Divine Sealing; Gadget Twins also comes to mind), but not many. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone, honestly.
clippa

Post by clippa »

I had the amiga version. I remember at the time, all the mags were giving it rave reviews but it just didn't do much for me at all. Tried a lot to get into it but just couldn't.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

I can vouch for the SMS version not being worth having.

Slow movement, epic slowdown, very easy difficulty, irritating short music loop, insulting "well done, you can turn the game off now" ending. Probably nothing that's unique to the SMS version either...

Basically it's a horrible game that I can only assume the publishers paid to get good reviews.
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

If all these negative comments didn't stop you from considering the purchase, you could make a "demo" on your own and try the first level, for example.
Spoiler
I hope to God this doesn't get me banned.
SuperDeadite

Post by SuperDeadite »

I really really tried to get into the X68000 port of this game. Even though the graphics are nowhere close to pushing the system's capabilities, it's still a slow choppy mess. I think this is a game that you really had to grow up with as a child to actually enjoy it today.
sdamike

Post by sdamike »

Thanks for the input everyone, I will definitely skip this one then!!

Is there any real good shmups for the master system that were specific to the master system?
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

Here's a Top 5, and here's a full (?) list.
Don't know which ones are SMS exclusives, except I know Sagaia and R-Type aren't.
Herr Schatten

Post by Herr Schatten »

sdamike wrote:Any opinions on which version to buy out of Sega Master System or Mega Drive? Or neither, is the game garbage?
Both those versions are awful and not worth playing.

The Amiga version, on the other hand, is actually okay-ish for people who don't really like shooting games. Those can definitely get some enjoyment out of it, as it's a pretty game and not too difficult. If you do like shooting games and the traits usually associated with them, Xenon 2 won't make you very happy, though.

On the Master System, Power Strike II is probably the best one, but a few others are well worth checking out.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Xenon and the the pinball had some cool art.

"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

sdamike wrote:Is there any real good shmups for the master system that were specific to the master system?
Fantasy Zone 2 is the highlight, but I think Astro Warrior is ace too.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

sdamike wrote:Is there any real good shmups for the master system that were specific to the master system?
Good exclusives:

Astro Warrior - nice little Star Force style early shmup but only has a few levels that loop (version on cart with Hang On does end after a few though)

Power Strike II - amazing game but very pricey. Default setting is typically Compile easy but there are fun harder settings

Aerial Assault - different enough to the Game Gear version. Mix of UN Squadron/Carrier Airwing and R-Type/Gradius aesthetics but only interesting to play on hard

Worthwhile ports:

Power Strike/Aleste - incredible graphics and sound for the system, fun console-style shmup

Scramble Spirits - obscure arcade port, fun but on the easy side

Sagaia/Darius 2 - brilliant attempt for the hardware, still fun but the Mega Drive version is probably better

Super Space Invaders - good conversion but for some reason you can't play the full level set and bonus stages (they're only included in a short form game)

Curiousity:

Line of Fire - not the same gameplay as the arcade light gun shooter, but not quite a good shmup either. Restricted movement and large hitbox means you have a lifebar but it's not bad. Worth a look for something different.
louisg

Post by louisg »

Yeah, Power Strike II is great! I think it's among Compile's best.

Xenon 2 is awful for the MD and SMS. The game was all music, art, with mediocre gameplay, and a lot what's good about it goes missing on those systems. It's not even all that great on the Amiga or X68000-- it's kind of a shmup masher that was all style over substance. I do admit that the last time I played it I had a good enough time, but there are definitely other shmups I'd play ahead of that one. I say this as someone who would not stop talking about how cool Xenon 2 was, back when I was a little kid :)

It's not a shmup (it's a run n gun crossed with Gauntlet), but if you want to play a great Bitmap Bros game, you should try The Chaos Engine on Amiga. It's fast, smart, replayable, well-balanced, and has a ton of secrets and a lot of variety per-world.
Humans, think about what you have done
clippa

Post by clippa »

Yeah, the chaos engine was definitely their masterpiece. Speedball 2 is amazing. I remember quite liking magic pockets as well, though I think that was mostly the graphics and music since I was a nipper. I remember that bit where you ride back and forth on the pushbike running over munsters being really exciting at the time.
BIL

Post by BIL »

AxelMill wrote:If all these negative comments didn't stop you from considering the purchase, you could make a "demo" on your own and try the first level, for example.
Spoiler
I hope to God this doesn't get me banned.
Talking about TEH ROMZ is fine. It's begging for or providing them that'll get you skullfucked into next week. ;3
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

i even used to play straight xenon on my s.t back in the day :oops: .. the waggle mechanic to change from tank to ship still haunts me
sdamike

Post by sdamike »

Wow nice, Thanks for the input and reccomendations everyone!

Theres alot of games I didnt even know existed. The power strikes do look really good (Yikes, yep 2 is pricey). I never knew Aerial Assault also came out for the SMS, will be nice to not play it on a 3 inch screen.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

for a laugh i fired up the sms xenon 2 on the everdrive..
the game is more treacly slow than nearly any game i've ever played and your shots actually shewt through enemies without harming them :lol: .
i think virgin were behind this port and it is total shit.
thank gawd the megadrive version is region locked so i can't play that
G-Darius

Post by G-Darius »

I first played the amiga version which I enjoyed although it will not exactly get your blood pumping,I played the Sega ports later and the sharp version around six months ago.
I would say the game is above average ,you should not instantly dismiss it but give it a go.
papa_november

Post by papa_november »

The X68000 version is best because it has better music and slightly (and I do mean SLIGHTLY) improved collision detection.

Xenon 2 is mostly loved because the people who played it the most didn't have access to anything better.
davyK

Post by davyK »

Xenon 2 on Megadrive is one of the few cartridge based games I have actually thrown in the bin.

Truly awful.
d0s

Post by d0s »

n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

Xenon 2 is mostly loved because the people who played it the most didn't have access to anything better.
This is very true. If you grew up with it, you probably have a special place in your heart for it and I will admit I do like Xenon 2 for that reason but it's not exactly a great game by the normal standards. Wouldn't say it's bin-worthy but that's probably nostalgia.

Mind you, I did also have access to Atomic Robokid.

You should get that instead.
facebook: Facebook
joeblade

Post by joeblade »

I grew up with Xenon2 on the Amiga and have no special place in my heart for it compared to the original!!

Now hybris on the other hand.... 8)
"Have you ever retired a human by mistake"
LSU

Post by LSU »

Tetsuya Mizuguchi has a special place in his heart for it:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/17/112563 ... -mizuguchi

I actually attended that postmortem at GDC this year, and I have to admit that when he said that, I was a tad surprised that a Japanese game developer would be so affected by a western-made shooting game. Perhaps it was simply the title's close reliance on music?

For the record, I played Xenon 2 Megablast quite a bit on my Amiga when I was younger (as well as the original Xenon, but that's quite a different game) and while I would never say it's anywhere up to par with the majority of shmups we play, I enjoyed it enough simply for what it was at the time, despite the sluggish ship movement, paltry rate of initial fire and 30 fps performance. It's kind of painful to play now though, at least without autofire (shudder). I'm obviously a masochist.

Bottom line though: if it helped inspire the thought process that give birth to Rez in any way, shape or form - I'm glad it existed.
louisg

Post by louisg »

LSU wrote:Tetsuya Mizuguchi has a special place in his heart for it:

http://www.polygon.com/2016/3/17/112563 ... -mizuguchi

I actually attended that postmortem at GDC this year, and I have to admit that when he said that, I was a tad surprised that a Japanese game developer would be so affected by a western-made shooting game. Perhaps it was simply the title's close reliance on music?
Yeah I remember how blown away I was by it. He says in that:

"Mizuguchi remembered that hearing dance music and seeing game mechanics "being intertwined in a real balanced way was something I didn't know existed.""

Which was kind of my impression. Everything from the deep multilayered scrolling, chromed out powerups and other smooth cool art design, and the blasting music connected together in this way that completely floored me. It's not so great as a game, but it sure made an impression at the time in terms of the graphics/music. Kinda like Rez hahahahaha
Humans, think about what you have done
system11

Post by system11 »

The Amiga version is by far the best version of a pretty mediocre game, it's the original version. Megadrive being at least the same type of CPU is closest.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org