GD: Gunbird 2 Boss Milking

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
IlMrm

GD: Gunbird 2 Boss Milking

Post by IlMrm »

Some areas of milking:

- Blowing up every bit of the England boss, especially the four rotars(3,000 points each). However I don't wait for it to spit out the rolling things a second time, because it's only about 2,000 or so total points I think, and it's too dangerous.

- The Japan boss - Same as the England boss. Take out every part and bits of the tank. Those balls it throws out in its second form are 3,000 points total. Not worth it for to wait for the second set.

- 1-4 boss, the blimp. Right now on the blimp, I get points for the four turrets, 5,000 on one of the box things, and 5,000 on the destruction of the blimp. The other turrets, box shaped things will shoot many more patterns when destroyed. I am not sure how much they are worth.

-1-4 boss, the bird. Cigs is the man for dodging all the patterns of the bird. I hide under the wings with Marion. I think those missiles the bird shoots are 200 points each.

- 1-5 boss - Right now I only destroy one of the bits. Destroy both and the boss will get very nasty.

- 1-6 boss - Also destroy only one of the bits.

- The last boss has the frogs/pills, or the pills/pills(DC version). Each of the frogs are 10,000 points, plus the 4,000 points powerups.

Any other places where our fellow Gunbird 2 players milk bosses and enemies? Your inputs are very welcomed.

Marion note: Right now using Marion, I would say I get around >40,000 points from her bomb candy bonus. I'll never be able to no bomb it to the point of getting the 100,000 bomb bonus, so I bomb the most bullet dense patterns(the yellow sprays of 1-5 boss), and get some points out of it.

Thanks for reading.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Judging from videos I've seen, milking is only worth it on the last pattern of the 1-4 boss, the 1-7 midboss (extras of the detached pods first form, second form the ball that produces the radial needle pattern) and the pills for the final boss. The pills are the most lucrative by far so if you pick one to learn that'd be it.

RE: 100k bomb bonus- had a scary game the other day. Made it to the 5-2-1 guys just before the 1-7 boss without dying or bombing. Of course after successfully dodging all the difficult parts in the game, I screw it up there. Nice to know I can do it anyway.
dboeren

Gunbird 2 Milking

Post by dboeren »

Interesting. I just got my Gunbird 2 PCB last night, so I'm still learning the basics, but I'll have to try some of these techniques. About all I've done so far is repeat the first couple levels until I can find the gemheads pretty reliably. Honestly though, I think I need to practice coin chaining before getting into any more advanced tricks like milking :)

It's worth noting that the hidden character Aine has the same sort of bomb as Marion, it turns enemy bullets into 200pt awards (roses in this case). To select him in the PCB version, put the box on the random character selection and press the joystick down. I have no idea if he's in the console versions or not.
Currently playing: Gunbird 2 PCB
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Yep, he's there...Morrigan from Darkstalkers is also hidden in the DC version.
japtor

Post by japtor »

aine has to be turned on in the pcb version with a maintenance code (51024), i think the default is to have him off, but i havent run into a machine like that (or x-36 turned off in strikers 1999 for that matter).

pcb also has an elephant as the final boss instead of the dog seen in the dc version.
BER

Post by BER »

One more:

For the England boss, start and maintain a power level of 1 throughout the battle. That way, the game keeps sending out the trio of drones (two blue and one red) worth 200 points each. You can trigger this trio up to twelve times in this battle, so you can get up to 7,200 points here. This makes up for the 4,000 points you would otherwise get by not powering down and collecting a power-up in the next stage. (It's not a loss of 8,000 points, since an extra trio of drones will appear in the next stage if you leave England with a power level of 1.)

I've seen this done in some replay, and GAL mentions it, too.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
IlMrm

Post by IlMrm »

Thanks BER. That's a cool little trick. My friend and I use that trick in Strikers Plus so he can get the extend quicker.

Isn't Galford the Arcadia record holder for Tavia, if I remember correctly from the link Cigs provided.
BER

Post by BER »

IlMrm wrote:Isn't Galford the Arcadia record holder for Tavia, if I remember correctly from the link Cigs provided.
Yes, he still is.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)