RQ: Giga Wing

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
black mariah
Banned User

RQ: Giga Wing

Post by black mariah »

I picked this one up a while back and I'm just now getting into it. Does anyone have some links to good strategies? I simply can't figure out what the hell my approach should be. It's obviously not like Mars Matrix.
Blow up self to involve enemies.
BER

Post by BER »

If you're concerned about getting a high score, search through my entries about Gigawing. You can start here:

http://www.free-conversant.com/gaming_j ... rd%20Doria

For the Widerstand, I have covered all of the first three stages and the fourth stage trip in great detail. I may have a few tactics for the rest of the game covered, too. If you just want to survive, I suppose you can adapt my scoring strategy anyway.

If you have any specific concerns about the game, please let me know.
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

There is one thing that's seriously bugging me. Score Attack mode. I manage to get through stage 1, dying only once, and get about 6 trillion. I go through it again, bombing like crazy and dying like a noob, and somehow manage 10 trillion. WTF?! I don't understand the scoring system, apparently.
BER

Post by BER »

Actually, I know nothing about the Dreamcast's Score Attack mode and its scoring mechanics. Maybe all that bombing increased your destruction rate or your time bonus, so you can get a larger bonus at the end of the stage...
Bernard A. DORIA (retired)
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

IIRC, basically all that score attack mode does is toss an additional multiplier into the fray (it's displayed onscreen, it's the number on the side that just keeps on going up automatically); it continues to increase until you either A) die, or B) use a bomb. Which makes your story about scoring higher when dying and bombing frequently all the more puzzling...
raiden

Post by raiden »

How much dying influences your score depends largely on when you die. The worst place is right in the middle of the stage, because dying resets your medal value, which is reset at the beginning each stage anyway. So, if you die shortly after the stage starts, or shortly before the boss, it´s not as bad, as you still get to collect medals of high value. But if the medal value is reset in the middle of the stage, it won´t reach a high value.
black mariah
Banned User

Post by black mariah »

Then why would me dying and bombing like a scared little girl constitute a 10 trillion point run? Also, does anyone happen to have some Score Attack strategies for scoring higher? I know I'm doing something wrong because I've seen level 1 scores over 40 trillion. :oops: