RQ: Dogyuun

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
sven666

RQ: Dogyuun

Post by sven666 »

sooo, how the hell does it work?

been playing this a bit tonight, brilliant game!
but i have no idea how the weapons system works, malcs review doesnt shed much light on it either.. anyone?
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

A button: fire weapon
B button: use item
C button: drop item

The angular purple-ish item is a bomb. Only one can be held at a time. When used, the attachment disappears.
The blue, more rounded item is a speed-up. Holding B speeds you up. Unlimited use.

There is a hidden power-up on the final stage. I won't explain it for now.

Weapons are:

Mega Shot -- starting weapon. Strong central shot, but very minimal coverage. Most of the game can be cleared with this weapon. Tapping faster or using autofire can make this weapon a little stronger.
Psycho Beam -- swirling homing weapon. Lots of coverage, but only two beams can be on screen at a time. A pleasant weapon to use, but the power can seem lacking at times. Tapping faster or using autofire make no difference.
V-Laser -- shoots a laser in the shape of a V. Center is left exposed, but there is decent side coverage. Helpful for some bosses and certain enemy configurations. Tapping or autofire prevent this weapon from working.
Homing Fire -- shoots two pairs of homing lasers that travel in straight lines and right angles. I try to avoid this weapon, but I can't remember why. Tapping or autofire will result in both volleys leaving quicker, but no help beyond that.

Not shooting for a while will create an aura a bit like those seen in certain Raizing games. It can damage enemies, but won't stop bullets or anything fancy like that.
sven666

Post by sven666 »

a-aight.. so whats the deal with capturing enemies? does it have any use other than looking fancy?
the destruction of everything, is the beginning of something new. your whole world is on fire, and soon, you'll be too..
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

!

I hadn't tried this until you mentioned it.

It protects the rear of your ship a little. (Zero Wing inverted)
I couldn't get it to do anything other than that.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Enemy capturing? How the hell does that work?

I also have a question regarding Dogyuun.
How long does it take to power up a given weapon?
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

this game have infinite loops but only 4 loops are playable, because in stage 5-1 there is a bug, vertical scroll is blocked.

hi score for this game on gamest magazine is "4 loops all clear" (score is 60.000.000+)

in this game there is a 1up secret item.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

So anyone out there want to field my earlier questions?
incognoscente

Post by incognoscente »

Hold C-button to create a capture-beam behind the ship. Then find a way to lure an enemy behind to capture it. May not work with ground enemies.

I have not seen the weapons power up in single-player games.
Michaelm

Post by Michaelm »

I've been playing the game lately on the 2 player side.
Starting a 2P game and then I capture player1 and get a big ship :)
If you watch the attract mode of the game this mode is featured so I guess they did mean you to play it like that too.
All errors are intentional but mistakes could have been made.
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

Michaelm wrote:I've been playing the game lately on the 2 player side.
Starting a 2P game and then I capture player1 and get a big ship :)
If you watch the attract mode of the game this mode is featured so I guess they did mean you to play it like that too.
Holy shit, you're right. This is the 'powered' up version I saw during attract mode. What's really nice is that you don't need to hold C once you've grabbed the other ship! :D

The plus is, of course, your weapons are all powered up but the hitbox surely increases as the new ship you acquire is pretty big/wide.
antron

Post by antron »

You can also capture floating upgrade pods. You can then acquire another upgrade.

Bomb first scenario: Capture a pod you know contains an upgrade. Then get another bomb upgrade. When you use the bomb you must release the captured pod while you are in the fireball. That way the pod will not fly off the screen because it gets hit by the fire and releases the upgrade. Back up to pick up the second upgrade.

Basically you get to drop two bombs on a boss, or drop a bomb then get speed/sideships instantly.

Also,
If you are wearing an upgrade and want to capture another one: release your current one - capture the one in a pod - then pick your old upgrade back up.
Last edited by antron on Fri May 01, 2009 1:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Another thing worth mentioning: the blue laser deals damage according to how long the beam is. If you use autofire at the fastest rate, each beam will be very short and deal very little damage. If you set delay to 10, for example, the beams will become very long and deal much more damage. Especially noticeable on boss fights.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
neorichieb1971

Re: RQ: Dogyuun

Post by neorichieb1971 »

I've just started playing Dogyuun today and got really frustrated. I think the game looks fun but all those mechanics just make my head spin.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
Estebang

Post by Estebang »

neorichieb1971 wrote:I've just started playing Dogyuun today and got really frustrated. I think the game looks fun but all those mechanics just make my head spin.
Better not play any shmups made after 1994, then!

I've been getting into Dogyuun myself now that the sound finally works in MAME. I believe someone described the weapons and enemy attacks as being more in line with an action platformer than a shmup, and I'd call that accurate--there's a definite emphasis on lasers, sonic booms and destructible missiles over bullets, and none of your own weapons contain any bullets either! It leads to some unfair situations, but overall the game is pretty fresh.

The second boss has lasers that can be countered by your own, predating DFK by a good sixteen years! Metal Black had beam duels first, but they were very different in appearance and execution.

My current wall is the third stage. The combination of a ludicrously fast scrolling background, tons of jittery bonus items, and a lack of plentiful bombs makes it a bit of a crapshoot. A few times I've mashed the B button in despair expecting a bomb.
Crayfish

Post by Crayfish »

Guys how do you power up your weapons? I initially thought there was only 1 level of weapon power since u just get points bonus for picking up multiple weapon pods of the same color, unlike in Truxton (which seems like this games closest relative) where the weapon get visually more powerful, bbut I just saw this vid showing 2x laser weapons?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=er2NAcHOQ2E
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

What the hell is wrong with that video?

Player 1's ship can use its tractor beam to attach player 2's ship to itself, and the combined ship has meatier versions of the weapons. No input is necessary from the second player, so starting with two coins and combining right away should be a viable alternate way for a single player to tackle the game, giving up the ability to attach the booster module or bombs in exchange for more firepower.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

So in addition to the 1up/100k bonus item you recieve for killing the stage 4 boss with the red laser, you can get another 1up/100k bonus item if you kill the stage 3 boss with the green laser.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

maximo310 wrote:So in addition to the 1up/100k bonus item you recieve for killing the stage 4 boss with the red laser, you can get another 1up/100k bonus item if you kill the stage 3 boss with the green laser.
Just checked that out. You do get a 1UP for beating the 3rd boss with the green laser, but then it won't appear again when you beat the 4th boss with the red laser.
mastermx wrote:
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

OK, so if you get one 1up item, then it won't pop up for the other boss? I guess I'll just focus on killing the 4th the red laser then.

There was a replay where the player killed the 4th boss with the red laser, but went through the 5th stage/boss while carrying the item container with the 1up. At stage 6's beginning he lets it go, and gets two 1ups, but I don't understand how that was triggered.

You can find it at the 16:30 mark of this replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zpt5SZ-FA8
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Hmmm very interesting, didn't know you could do that!

I believe this is what's going on: some bosses have a specific type of laser you need to use to trigger the 1UP item, but it triggers only once per loop. If you don't destroy the item container it doesn't count as triggered, so you can make it appear multiple times.

If my theory is correct, you could beat the 3rd boss with the green laser, carry the container with you to the 4th boss, beat it with the red laser and get both 1UPs. The problem is being able to carry the container with you all the way, any stray bullet or enemy can destroy it.
mastermx wrote:
maximo310

Post by maximo310 »

Kinda forgot, but here is a link which notates which weapon to kill a stage boss for the 1up item ( can only be done once, or two if you use the beam tractor trick) http://shootingstar.game.coocan.jp/dogyuun.html

It also mentions that the homing fire will attack flying enemies preferentially, while the psycho beam attacks ground enemies preferentially

The only other notable weird thing I've noticed is that while the yellow bullets will get faster over time due to rank increase & less bullet reload from enemies over subsequent loops, some other types of bullets ( like stg 3/8/9/10 boss) don't have that, so the same strats will work. boss hp does seem to increase somewhat per loop.