Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire [PCE]

Kino

Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire [PCE]

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:05 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Kino

Re: Ginga Fukei Densetsu: Sapphire [PCE]

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perikles

Re: Ginga Fukei Densetsu Sapphire [PCE]

Post by Perikles »

Perikles - 655,920 - Charotte - ALL

First raw clear, will definitely try to improve this! I just bombed the final boss into oblivion, it was pretty sad. :lol:
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Perikles - 937,850 - Charotte - ALL

I surrender. I tried really hard to get a NMNB whilst scoring well, but the game scornfully laughed at me as a result. There's no other 16-bit shooter that is as versed as Sapphire is in subtly signifying: "Go play CORYOON, you SCRUB!" I must've died to every single enemy in the game over the course of the last few days. :mrgreen: Anyway, this is a 1LC with some decent scoring for the first two stages as well as parts of stages 3 & 4, so it's not that terrible, I suppose. I am, however, very proud of myself that I bombed during the high-speed section in stage 4, I always die there for some reason, and I would've crashed into one pillar again if not for one good bomb. Used way too many bombs on the final boss, ending the game with only one left, but I was scared. :oops:

I can now say with certainty that this is objectively speaking the best 16-bit shooter out there. It's not even close. There's so much room for improvement as far as scoring is concerned, and not a single dull moment throughout. I still prefer a few contemporaries like Undeadline and BioMetal for their style and more straightforward design, Sapphire cannot be praised enough nonetheless.

Can't wait to see Kollision's score, and I hope that BIL plays it one day, too - game needs your extraordinary penmanship! :o And what about you, Kino? Are you going to strive for a higher score? :)

I'll play some Cotton Original now, need some relaxation after that one! :mrgreen:
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Great score! I actually own this one but haven't played it much, after your recommendations I'm probably going to move it up higher on my play list.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Thanks! And please do so, I'm absolutely sure you're going to break the million barrier - I didn't even dare to charge the pods for a single second in stage 5, you could get a massive amount of points there. Same is true for stage 4 where you can spare some of the bigger enemies so that they spew out little ones which in turn will greatly increase your score, but it's extremely finicky to pull off. Would be delighted to see what you can squeeze out of this one. :D
Kino

Post by Kino »

Last edited by Kino on Tue Sep 18, 2018 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Thank you, too! :)
Kino wrote:(perhaps the only truly interesting one?)
I wouldn't go that far, but then again I love me my multi-loop Toaplan/Konami endurance tests. :mrgreen: Pop'n TwinBee and PCE Detana!! TwinBee are certainly interesting to play for score, albeit infuriating in equal measure, same is true for all the Parodius ports/Jikkyo Oshaberi Parodius (sans the frustration). After that it gets indeed a bit hard to find multifaceted titles such as Sapphire - games like Magical Chase, Winds of Thunder, Kiki Kaikai: Nazo no Kuro Manto and even Kiaidan 00 are certainly fun from a scoring aspect, but not nearly as deep. Perhaps Granada under a strict speed running perspective, that game is hard on Normal and terrifying on Mania!
Kino wrote:The option-deployment still confounds me at times, though. Wouldn't mind seeing an upload of one of your runs, to get a better grasp on it. Certain formations are real tricky to get the 'bar' to come out.
I don't have any recording equipment for my consoles, but here's the definitive Sapphire run as far as I'm concerned: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm1178615 ... _key_video. There are two elements to the options: charge time and positioning. While it is possible to throw them out immediately once they glow, they're not going to stay active for as long as when you wait just a bit longer. The other important aspect is where you are relative to the enemies: if you sit on the left edge of the screen, for example, the options will just bunch together and chase a few enemies. But if you're in between multiple enemies, the options will split up and create the electric bar in the process.
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

Akraten - 597,200 - Charotte - ALL
Spoiler