Degaussing a monitor

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
barmskii

Degaussing a monitor

Post by barmskii »

Before the old forum went down I posted in this section about my monitor going funny colours when I tated it and someone suggested that I try degaussing it with a magnet.

Well (if you've seen my post in the trading station you'll already know) i've now got Raiden fighters 2 and it's gone blue and purple on me when I rotate the monitor to vertical. I've tried letting it stand with no power on for about 8 hours and that didn't help so I thought what the hell and got one of my speakers off the shelf and tried slowly running it in front of the screen. To my amazement the colours went perfect but as soon as I move the speaker away from the screen it just goes back to the crappy blue colours again.

Does anybody know how I can get the correct colours to 'stick'. I seem to have managed to get about half of the screen almost right but the other half just keeps jumping back to the crap blue colours.

This is really pissing me off :evil:

Any help greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Barm
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I've heard about these cloths you can use-evidently you can literally wipe away any discoloration on your screen caused by tating with one of these.

Unfortunately I have no idea what they're called or where to buy them-I'll let you know if I find out, though.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

That link doesn't mention the cloth I've heard about-does anyone know anything about this???
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Soldato J

Post by Soldato J »

You may just have to get a tv repair guy to degauss it. They have special magnets just for this task. Should be pretty cheap too......
dpful

Post by dpful »

I don't think there's such thing as that cloth.
You also don't need a rapair guy- check out that link above, I didn't read the whole thing, so I don't know if he mentioned using magnets. As far as magnets go, you simply need a magnet stonger than whatever is discoloring your screen (the earth), and then if you can get the colors right, it will be permenant only in THAT position. If your degaussing coil is broken (shouldn't take more than 30 min. to cool down), then you'd have to demagnetize (or appropriately remagnatize, however you look at it) when you wanted to put the monitor back down. You can conceptualize it as metal particles being moved around by a magnet, you just get them where you want them and then they stay there, so it just requires some creative magnet waving.

Read the link above for using degaussing tools. Here's your options-
1. Hire somebody (don't do it)
2. Use a degaussing tool (I use a coil ripped from an old TV- it's the one that runs around the perimiter of the screen, plugged right into an outlet, with a switch to turn it off and on- if I left it on for a whole minute, it would probably light on fire. It just takes a few seconds to degauss)
3. Use a bulk tape eraser (it's the same thing)
4. Use a magnet each time you turn it (has to be strong enough- but not too strong or else you'll need a stronger one to reverse it)
dpful

Post by dpful »

Soldato J wrote:You may just have to get a tv repair guy to degauss it. They have special magnets just for this task. Should be pretty cheap too......
Oh yeah, also, if your coil was broken, you'd have to have him come over every time you rotated it.
vek

Post by vek »

i dunno where you can buy them or how much they cost, but you can get degaussing wands, just turn it on, wave it around in front of the monitor a bit and there you go. used to use them in an old job of mine. probably just a version of dpful's coil which doesn't set on fire :)
dpful

Post by dpful »

It probably is just the same, but with a part called a thermistor in the circiut, which slowly turns it off- That's how it works when inside the TV. Then again, bulk tape erasers stay on and don't get hot, so maybe it's a little different.