MAGFest 14 (Feb 18-21, 2016)

Having a shmupmeet? Want to find one in your area? Come on in here then...
StarCreator

MAGFest 14 (Feb 18-21, 2016)

Post by StarCreator »

We're just over two months out. Figure it's a good time for a roll call.

It looks like I'll be more on the music game side of things this year but I'm always up for helping with the STGs if majors needs a hand.
Kiken

Re: MAGFest 14 (Feb 18-21, 2016)

Post by Kiken »

Minzoku and I will be there. I will be bringing the following PCBs:

ESPGaluda II
Pink Sweets
Mushihime-sama Futari ver 1.5

(my Strikers 1945 II board has messed up sound)
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Still having some reboot issues with Gradius IV, but it's booting now, which means it'll come if I can get those smoothed out.

As always I can bring all 3 Parodius games.
majors

Post by majors »

I'm down with the board help again. I'll work out a list so we can all be on the same page.

My only new STG pick-ups is the PGM DoDon 2, Dragon Saber and MVS Andro Dunos. What else I have is:
Raiden Fighters
Viper: Phase 1
Sexy Parodius
Thunderforce AC
Pulstar
Blazing Star
Alpha Mission 2
1945 Plus
(Multi CPS2, so all that stuffs: ProGear, Mars Matrix, 1944/XX, Dimahoo, Gigawing)
Ikaruga
Side Arms

These are what I have, not what all I'm bringing. We can start planning. I'll reach out to folks that helped in the past in case they skip the thread.

There is a another arcade volunteer with candy from Columbus bringing cabs, dunno if they are all multi JAMMA's or MAME boxes, but if it is cool with us using them for some of our boards, that could allow for even more shmups action at MAGFest.

SC -> Thanks for starting the post!
Wedoca '24
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I haven't really picked up much of anything in the past year (I think I might be up a couple F3 games but I've forgotten which ones). I have Blazing Star, EspRaDe, Progear, and Elevator Action Returns, but most of these were covered by other people last year.

I can do 360-in-a-cab as always, or could even attempt PC-in-a-cab for stuff like Crimzon Clover.

Also need someone to help me figure out why I can't get my Metal Slug 3 working right...
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

I might be able to bring DOJBL, TGM2, and Gunbird 2. I just don't want the TSA to think that they are bombs.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

MVS-wise, I have available:

Metal Slug
Metal Slug 2
Metal Slug 4
Blazing Star
Pulstar
Prehistoric Isle 2
Zed Blade/Operation Ragnarok
Shock Troopers 2nd Squad
majors

Post by majors »

I'm starting to compile what boards we have available, weeding out what would be good to run. I'll have an Astro with a 1p CP in tate for the hardcore and up to 3 Blasts that can also be tate or hori with 2p CP's. Other cab volunteers have netboot Naomi's so if I can coordinate with them, we could use theirs to run all the Naomi STGs in rotation in tate if we feel Radirgly, Under Defeat, Ikaruga, etc would be desired? My Naomi Uni cabs and hardware maybe used for fighters, so not available.

I plan to have a Neo Candy with a 2-slut dedicated for MVS shooters, make it a bit easier to have choice titles on rotation during the weekend.

Right now I have Kiken, dieKatze88, Starcreator, ratikal and myself with board donations. MAGFest arcade group has starting hamming out the game room layout, looks like we will have 30 candy cabs this year!
Wedoca '24
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Does that rule out 360/PC in a cab? I think it's pretty important to have at least one of those setups available to us; home ports pad out a significant hole in our PCB collections and are always popular.
majors

Post by majors »

StarCreator wrote:Does that rule out 360/PC in a cab? I think it's pretty important to have at least one of those setups available to us; home ports pad out a significant hole in our PCB collections and are always popular.
Not to be a 'tard, but does the console room take care of running 360 Cave ports? Or is it just more fun to have it all in one area(arcade)? I have one Naomi Uni running CvS2, so in theory I have the other we can use for 360 shooters. I'll make note on my working spreadsheet and plan for it. I only have a US 360 with/ Akai, Smiles, Raiden Fighters/IV and Guwange.

Star -> I still have your 360 faceplate controller port flap. Ended up in my cab few cons ago.
Wedoca '24
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I run stuff in the console room also but ever since it was moved to its own expo slice (and it's even further away from arcade this year) that entire room seems to get so much less attention than the arcade. There's a good amount of overlap between the STG players and the music game players also, and it has worked out well to keep everything pretty close. There's also just something about the experience of playing it in a cab that I've never been able to replicate outside of one.

If my music game console stuff could work in the arcade room, I'd totally be setting them up over there also.

By the way, at AGDQ and my hotel roommate mentioned having a Mr. Driller G he could contribute, if that's not already in the plan. I'll reconfirm with him if there's interest.
majors

Post by majors »

@povertfest on Twitter offered these: (sorry if you're on this forum and I just didn't make the connection)
Gekirindan
Twin Cobra 2
Space Invaders '95
Soukyugurentai
Shienryu
Radiant Silvergun
and more(https://t.co/syejU1mFCu)

Might not be able to use all of everyones boards, but at least we can get the cream of the crop running.
Wedoca '24
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

Space Invaders 95 makes me hard, but I'm an odd person.

I'd love to see a Super Space Invaders '91 but I doubt I ever will.
Rei

Post by Rei »

I'll be there, I can bring Fate Unlimited Codes, Street Fighter EX2+, and Magical Drop 3 if needed.
RecklessRave

Post by RecklessRave »

Since Tokyo Attack will be bringing a DariusBurst: ACEX cab this year, I think it would be cool to be able to play with other shmuppers. I've played this at 2 cons already and it's neat to play with others crammed into the cab, but it's usually new players (people completely new to shmups), which is still nice, but playing with other people who already know how to play the game seems like it would be really fun. That being said, I'm not a great player myself and have only 1cc'd the easiest route (disclaimer: I have not really actively tried to 1cc the others yet) so I would likely hold great players back, but I'm not a total beginner, either.
majors

Post by majors »

I have DoDon 2 also, if ppl think it's worthy. I forgot I picked that up last year.

Still working a board schedule. Trying to confirm what's on the other candys. I know Troy is planning to run Elevator Action Returns, so Starcreator can keep his at home. The other folks bringing candy are not keen on rotating their monitors. Looking like I'll have 3 tates for JAMMA, a Naomi tate for 360 and one hori plus a 2-slot Neo.
Wedoca '24
majors

Post by majors »

Pre-prelim thoughts?

What I have written down as available:
Kiken - ESPGaluda II, Pink Sweets, Mushihime-sama Futari ver 1.5, Blazing Star, Pulstar, Prehistoric Isle 2, Zed Blade/Operation Ragnarok
dieKatze88 - Parodius, Gokujou Parodius, Sexy Parodius
majors - Raiden Fighters, Viper: Phase 1, DoDon 2, Sexy Parodius, Thunderforce AC, Dragon Saber, Ikaruga, Side Arms, Andro Dunos, Pulstar, Blazing Star, Alpha Mission 2, 1945 Plus
StarCreator - Blazing Star, EspRaDe, Progear
ratikal - DOJBL
SK@PSO2_Ship5- Gekirindan, Twin Cobra 2, Space Invaders '95 (needs to borrow F3 mobo)
Strider77- Muchi Muchi Pork, Ibara Kuro, Mushi Futari BL, Mushi, Dogyuun, Out zone, Guwange, Feveron, ESP Rade, Progear, AvP, Batrider, Cannon Dancer, Moonwalker, Rastan, Viper, Pulstar, Last Resort, Blazing Star

Code: Select all

+---Thurs AM---+---Thurs PM---+---Fri AM---+---Fri PM---+---Sat AM---+---Sat PM---+---Sun AM---+
NAC       |  ESPGaluda 2 |  ESPGaluda 2 |    DOJBL   |   DOJBL    |   Futari   |   Futari   |   DoDon2   |
Madonna   | Dragon Saber |   Batrider   |   EspRaDe  | Ibara Kuro | Ibara Kuro |  Guwange   |Dragon Saber|
Blast #2  | 19XX (multi) | 19XX (multi) |   Dogyuun  |   Dogyuun  |    Pink    |    Pink    |    Viper   |
Blast #1  | Thunderforce |   Parodius   |  Parodius  |   ProGear  |   Gokujou  |    Sexy    |    Sexy    |
Neo       |  Isle2/Zed   |   Isle2/Zed  |Pulse\Blaze |Pulse\Blaze |   Tetris   |   Tetris   | ASO2/Andro |
Naomi 360 |     SDOJ     |     SDOJ     |  Mushi 1.5 |  Mushi 1.5 |   Ketsui   |   Ketsui   |  Raiden 4  |

notes: NAC will have 1 player CP, Blast #1 is hori, Neo cab is JAMMA compliment

This is just me putting games ins slots. Nothing is set in stone. I used only my personal PCBs on Sun just in case ppl need to leave the con early (I stay sunday night, leave Monday).

Star -> If you bring your F3 mobo, we can run some of the carts from SK. We have Elevator Action Retruns running all wknd on one of Troys candys.

*1/15 update* removed hori 360 games
*2/2 update* added ProGear
*2/3 update* added Strider77 PCB's
*2/5 update* added 360 titles
*2/8 update* changed Blast #3 to Madonna
*2/12 update* small lineup changes, removed Gunbird 2
Last edited by majors on Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:12 pm, edited 6 times in total.
Wedoca '24
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I can bring the F3. It is region modded so it should be able to play any cartridge. Not tested since I'm too much a wimp to try removing Elevator from the mobo .-.

Is the 360 cab vert? The list is all horizontal games so far. I'd probably focus on DDP SDOJ, Crimzon Clover (requires a switch to PC, going to try prepping a 360-sized one), and whatever other games we don't have boards for.
dieKatze88

Post by dieKatze88 »

I will TRY to get Gradius IV stable by the con, but I have my doubts. The GOOD NEWS is it's related to the video board, not the CPU Board, and I have about 30 of the video board.

If you have a 24khz monitor in one of these, Gradius IV looks amazing on them.
majors

Post by majors »

StarCreator wrote: Is the 360 cab vert? The list is all horizontal games so far. I'd probably focus on DDP SDOJ, Crimzon Clover (requires a switch to PC, going to try prepping a 360-sized one), and whatever other games we don't have boards for.
Dolp! My bad...I was just listing my discs. I'll have the Naomi vert, all the cords and a PSU ready for your 360.

I'm comfortable changing the F3 cart if you all think those STG's are solid enough to run. I know Dead Kitty is all about some Invaders 95. I was going to try and see if we can borrow a ST-V for some more carts that SK has, but I think we have enough to run a good mix.

die -> Yes, my monitors support 24khz, just need to reach and move the plug...so let's do that in the AM before I get piss drunk. LMK if you get he video fixed, we can plan for it.
Wedoca '24
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

Just booked my flight all the way from Seattle! Can't wait for MAGFest. If you want any PCBs I have, I can probably bring them. I just need to know well in advance so I can prepare some packing materials.

Stuff I have:
Tetris The Grand Master 1/2/3 (if you want 3 I will have to ship it to someone local ahead of time, unless you have a Type-X I can use)
Armed Police Batrider
Strikers 1945 II
Strikers 1945 III / 1999
Block Out
Naomi with Cosmic Smash, Virtua Tennis, and Slashout
Neo-Geo single slot motherboards in case you don't have enough
Five billion squillion (well, basically...) spare brand new JLFs and Sanwa buttons

Additionally, if anyone is looking for arcade parts, let me know. My stock is varied and uh...numerous!
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I'm local and can receive TGM3 if needed.
majors

Post by majors »

KevinDDR wrote:If you want any PCBs I have, I can probably bring them.
That Batrider could be put to use unless a local has a board. Dan from Lost Ark might have that, be easier for him to bring it rather than risk the plane trip.
KevinDDR wrote:Additionally, if anyone is looking for arcade parts, let me know. My stock is varied and uh...numerous!
Namco Cyberlead audio amp? I ordered some china 10w el cheapos to make do, but always nice to have original parts. I know the guy bringing a New Versus City is looking for a power supply. I have a one from a project cab he can borrow, but I'll need it back.
Wedoca '24
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

I recently purchased RayStorm. I could bring that as well.
KevinDDR

Post by KevinDDR »

KevinDDR wrote:Additionally, if anyone is looking for arcade parts, let me know. My stock is varied and uh...numerous!
Namco Cyberlead audio amp? I ordered some china 10w el cheapos to make do, but always nice to have original parts. I know the guy bringing a New Versus City is looking for a power supply. I have a one from a project cab he can borrow, but I'll need it back.[/quote]

Sadly I have neither of these things...I have a Blast PSU but no NVC. :(

I do have something cool that I could bring, which is a mobile streaming setup for JAMMA. Assuming there's decent 4G reception inside the hotel, I have unlimited unthrottled LTE and a small rig (splitter + cab powered scaler + laptop + X-Capture) that can be thrown inside a cab to easily stream from any JAMMA game. If there's interest in setting something like this up, let me know! It doesn't take much space in my luggage as the wiring and X-Capture are the only parts I wouldn't be bringing anyway.
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

Kevin: It depends on provider but I'm not certain I would rely on a data connection being viable simply because of how many people will be in the room.

Did you still need to ship out the Type X?

majors: I'm not sure why he didn't post here himself but Khoa requested Progear (on my list already, horizontal, it's CPS2) and Ibara Kuro (is Tim coming?)
majors

Post by majors »

KevinDDR wrote: I do have something cool that I could bring, which is a mobile streaming setup for JAMMA.
I've got one JAMMA j-rok capture thingy. But data is gonna suck in the expo hall. You could cap it and upload later tho.
StarCreator wrote: majors: I'm not sure why he didn't post here himself but Khoa requested Progear (on my list already, horizontal, it's CPS2) and Ibara Kuro (is Tim coming?)
I've got Progear on the multi, but might need to bump a Parodius or throw it in the Neo Candy(jamma wired). I'll put it on the master spreadsheet. Tim is planning to come but I dunno what he planning to bring board-wise. I'll bump him.
Wedoca '24
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Yes I'm coming. This what I have, tell me what to bring.

Muchi Muchi Pork
Ibara Kuro
Mushi Futari BL
Mushi
Dogyuun
Out zone
Guwange
Feveron
ESP Rade
Progear
AvP
Batrider
Cannon Dancer
Moonwalker
Rastan
Viper
Pulstar
Last Resort
Blazing Star

Other MVS stuff but imagine that's not needed?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
StarCreator

Post by StarCreator »

I would never turn down Pork.

I'd say bring all the Cave that isn't already called for since they seem to consistently be the most popular at these things.
majors

Post by majors »

StarCreator wrote: I'd say bring all the Cave that isn't already called for since
We have a 360 running, so you can focus on the PCB's that do not have decent-ported Cave releases on xbox.

Made some updates but I really need to STG heads to let me know what is best to run. No board ego's or epenis...just best games. I see Strider had BL Futari, is that preferred over Kiken's 1.5? I do not know these things.

Star -> Give me an idea of what 360 discs you want to run. It'll help be sort what boards to run.
Wedoca '24