Raiden Legacy now has an "improved" Steam version.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Danny

Raiden Legacy now has an "improved" Steam version.

Post by Danny »

Hey gang just letting you know that Raiden Legacy is now on Steam and has some Steam only features like online multiplayer and stuff.

Unfortunately the port is awful, in fact it is worse for me than the GoG version. (at least I can get that version to run without stuttering!) The gameplay and music stutters like crazy making the game pretty much unplayable.

This is a shame because the port does have some nice options like because able to change to resolution and being able to configure your buttons and to rotate the screen.

Anyway just letting y'all know. I am most likely going to ask for a refund because this port is pretty bad! :(

EDIT: Oh joy because the Raiden Fighters games run at 57 FPS is means that the gametap emu DotEmu is using does not run them properly, Grrrreeeeeaaaattttt! :(
qmish

Re: Raiden Legacy now has an "improved" Steam version.

Post by qmish »

57 fps? i heard that before. in CCWI. Strange coincidence.
Danny

Post by Danny »

I just went back and tested the GoG version, that version actually runs properly so somehow DotEmu have managed to make their port WORSE than the one they already did for GoG and other such services. *facepalms*
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

We've had to fix 57 fps capping in several games, actually - Crimzon, Mushihimesama, and to a lesser extent Eschatos. It must have something to do with windows GPU interaction because it seems to be a common problem.
Danny

Post by Danny »

Blackbird wrote:We've had to fix 57 fps capping in several games, actually - Crimzon, Mushihimesama, and to a lesser extent Eschatos. It must have something to do with windows GPU interaction because it seems to be a common problem.
I am running Windows 10 and have a Nvidia GTX 980 Ti so it could be a combination of those two things. :lol:

The baffling thing is that the older GoG release works fine for me (for the most part at least) I am guessing it is something to do with the new emulator they are using.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

The Raiden Fighters games originally ran at 54FPS.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

IIRC Aces had exellent display options including the choice of 60Hz (forced/sped up), 54Hz (original), and 54Hz (frame blending).

I don't own the compilation myself (super procrastinated on buying it) but I think you had to download a patch/fix to get the good options, right ?

Was there ever a second print that included all the patches ? If it ever comes to PC in place of the dotemu shit, I hope the patches will be included...
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The 360 version is fantastic. Patch is required (but available), but wasn't included on any pressed version. The japanese version has become quite expensive, but it's hands down the best shoot'em up release on the 360 and worth every cent.

The PC collection is messy at best and shouldn't be compared to this masterpiece :mrgreen:
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

There was a patch that added freeplay and some other options for the Japanese RFA. The US release of RFA is prepatched.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Fudoh wrote:Patch is required (but available)
Maybe I should finally move my ass and buy it before that patch disappears then. :oops:

It's about 30€ used, but easily over 100€ new.
What's in the package originally ? Only the disc and manual ?
Chaos Phoenixma wrote:There was a patch that added freeplay and some other options for the Japanese RFA. The US release of RFA is prepatched.
Interesting. Does it play on a Japanese 360 ?

EDIT: no it doesn't according to play-asia... and the JP release is over 100€ exclusively. Rats. That's a bit much.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

I bought Legacy direct from DotEmu when it first came out... it was rather disappointing. My biggest gripes are twofold:

1) The framerate is not stable. Sometimes it'll be ripping along at 50+ fps, but will randomly activate significant frameskipping.
2) Their UI actually REPLACES some parts of the arcade original - there is no (skippable) boot sequence, no intro, no game over or initial input, and presumably no ending. When you start the game it just immediately dumps you to the plane select screen.

The 1p score counter also flickers for some reason but that's pretty minor, if a little distracting.

I'll see if I can get a steam key from them to test out this "new" version.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Fudoh wrote:The 360 version is fantastic. Patch is required (but available), but wasn't included on any pressed version. The japanese version has become quite expensive, but it's hands down the best shoot'em up release on the 360 and worth every cent.

The PC collection is messy at best and shouldn't be compared to this masterpiece :mrgreen:
I thought the US retail release included everything that the JP version has patched?

I don't recall needing to download a patch for it anyway, but its been some time
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I believe you're correct, IIRC only the Japanese version needed a patch.
bulbousbeard

Post by bulbousbeard »

Just use MAME. Screw companies who release subpar crap.

If your PORT is worse than 10 year old emulation, you don't deserve any money for it. Just embarrassing.

We're so lucky MAME exists. We'd be left at the mercy of these shit companies otherwise.
MathU

Post by MathU »

At some point I think it may be unreasonable to even expect a port developer to be able to come up with a better product from scratch than an emulator with nearly twenty years of work and scores of people behind it. That's why I think we would all be better off if companies would just give up this silly game and sell direct ROM licenses. They would hardly even need to do any work!
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
bulbousbeard

Post by bulbousbeard »

MathU wrote:At some point I think it may be unreasonable to even expect a port developer to be able to come up with a better product from scratch than an emulator with nearly twenty years of work and scores of people behind it. That's why I think we would all be better off if companies would just give up this silly game and sell direct ROM licenses. They would hardly even need to do any work!
I think it's reasonable to expect a high quality port for the prices some of these companies are asking. Hell, I'd pay $15+ for these games if they'd actually add cool enhancements.

It'd be pretty awesome if Capcom released a port of Street Fighter 2 with 16:9 support (show more of the backgrounds), Final Fight with 3 players simultaneous and 16:9 support (Haggar, Cody, and Guy all being playable simultaneously), black frame insertion, 120hz+ support, and stuff like that. That'd actually be cool.

What do we get? Crap worse than MAME. It feels like a ripoff because it is.

Just to put it into perspective, Arc just released Guilty Gear Xrd Sign on Steam for $24. Some of these shitty old arcade releases are like $15. The value is just not there.

What adds insult to injury is that half the time these guys are STEALING MAME code in the first place. It's just a shitty situation.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

we need final fight infinite fix WAY before we need three-player mode, as cool as that is
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
DotEmu

Post by DotEmu »

Hello,

Thank you very much for all your feedback and bug reports. We take your comments and concerns very seriously.

In order to be as precise as possible, we have opened an official topic to regroup all the bugs and issues: http://steamcommunity.com/app/407600/di ... 225459870/

Please, feel free to report any issue you may find.

EDIT: our first update is live. Changelog on the topic.
Retrogaming is not dead!
koda

Post by koda »

Is anyone able to report on any changes the "minor fixes on emulation engine" had? Are things any better? Any worse?
horrible at shmups!
Danny

Post by Danny »

From that I herd as a response to the thread that DotEmu posted on the Steam Forums a user is still reporting the game running at 56 frames which dips to 55 or 54 on occasion. I would test myself but I got a refund after seeing how poorly the port was handled.
ShamefurDispray

Post by ShamefurDispray »

Gaaaahhhhh. I SO want a half decent version of Raiden Fighters with online scoreboards. Whose dick do I have to suck to get it? Christ.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

DotEmu wrote:EDIT: our first update is live. Changelog on the topic.
Nice!

But could you please be more precise about you have done exactly ? 'fix to the raiden fighters engine' doesn't mean anything honestly.

If you read a bit up there you'll see we care a lot about a stable refresh rate and accurate game speed (it must be the same as the originals).
The marvelous Xbox 360 offers three refresh rate options (see Fudoh's post) and this is what we expect really.
Infiltrator

Post by Infiltrator »

Game is 70% off for CDN $3.29 during this summer sale that will last until the 10th of this month.

Just be sure to download the Raiden Legacy FPS/Lag FIX from here; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1413309775
crazyrexz

Post by crazyrexz »

Infiltrator wrote:Game is 70% off for CDN $3.29 during this summer sale that will last until the 10th of this month.

Just be sure to download the Raiden Legacy FPS/Lag FIX from here; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1413309775
thanks for info mate , is the fix available on android version ?
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Xyga wrote:
Fudoh wrote:Patch is required (but available)
Maybe I should finally move my ass and buy it before that patch disappears then. :oops:

It's about 30€ used, but easily over 100€ new.
What's in the package originally ? Only the disc and manual ?
The US version includes the disc, manual, case and insert.

The Japanese version includes the disc, manual, case, insert and INH Replay DVD The Onslaught Raiden Fighters Special Edition.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Infiltrator wrote:Just be sure to download the Raiden Legacy FPS/Lag FIX from here; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1413309775
Apparently after applying the fix the following features no longer work: achievements, leaderboards, multiplayer.

Forget it, just play it in MAME and never give DotEmu any money for this pile of crap.
xxx128

Post by xxx128 »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
Infiltrator wrote:Just be sure to download the Raiden Legacy FPS/Lag FIX from here; https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/ ... 1413309775
Forget it, just play it in MAME and never give DotEmu any money for this pile of crap.
Seconded.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

You guys were not joking on how botched this port is... I had bought it ages ago and only got round to playing it recently. Even tried the supposed lag fix from the Steam forum. Sure it makes the games playable but it messes up the resolution ( I guess because of having to run inside the engine of the mobile version? ) so its all surrounded by nice thick black bars and isn't centered. That on top of the mobile UI which still runs slow for me just made me delete it within minutes. I've seen some people say that the DotEmu version is better, is that true considering all the negative feedback it has on the store page? Don't see myself as getting a X360 console ever again so besides emulation is there another way to sensibly play those games at all? :?
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

My negative opinion about the product comes from a non-Steam digital package bought directly from DotEmu's website many years ago. It has framerate issues, and I don't like how their new custom menus displaced actual parts of the game. Their "HD Audio" setting is kind of interesting, but the poor quality video emulation was a dealbreaker since MAME runs it better.

I reported all of my findings to them, but that stand-alone version was never fixed. When it came out on Steam, I asked them for a steam key because I already bought it and got no response.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

I recall that folks had similar issues with their Irem collection that were reported but never addressed, the company's pretty much left for dead around here.