DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Icarus

Re: DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

Post by Icarus »

EDIT: Wrong thread lol.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Silly question: how do I move the burst laser around? I can only fire it normally, or at a fixed location. Does it depend on the ship? (I've only tried the default and I think the Legend - whatever the two original DB ships were).

Secondly, is the only way to counter-burst is to fire your burst (coming straight from your ship) right as it's about to hit you?

And thirdly and finally - CS mode's adjusted aspect ratio, using all that extra real-estate, is quite nice. I take it there's no way i can bring some of that goodness to the arcade mode with my measly laptop screen?

EDIT: I wonder if at some point some of the niceties of CS mode can be implemented into the Original Mode: burst bar underneath the letterboxing, some larger text boxes on the ship select - stuff that would free up clutter and the need for me to put my face into my screen.

I am enjoying myself so much with the release, though I think I will prefer arcade mode's short bursts (no pun intended) than the longer sprawling CS mode.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Metalsludge

Post by Metalsludge »

It occurs to me that VR could also provide a display solution for schmups like this, as virtual desktop applications allow for almost limitless size and distance from the screen views in virtual reality. So, in theory, you could display this in long form and manage just fine in the virtual space. Without VorpX supporting it, you would not get any stereoscopic 3D effect, but that's not so important for a shooter that is 2D style in spirit.

I may give it a try in a headset and see if I can get it to work decently.
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

^ That sounds like it'd be pretty damn awesome if it worked.
EmperorIng wrote:Silly question: how do I move the burst laser around? I can only fire it normally, or at a fixed location. Does it depend on the ship? (I've only tried the default and I think the Legend - whatever the two original DB ships were).
If you're talking about the angle, stop shooting and the pod will either rotate to face you or face away from you, depending on the ship.
Secondly, is the only way to counter-burst is to fire your burst (coming straight from your ship) right as it's about to hit you?
Yup. You can also hold the button and move into a laser so that you start Bursting the moment you run into the laser. I'm terribad at both!

Also, wheee, got an ADH clear with Assault!
ArmoredCore

Post by ArmoredCore »

Zaarock wrote:Found G.T.B. in CS mode: https://youtu.be/_0TcgiTJ2vc?t=29m50s
Gigantic Bite is still a lot harder so confirmed for toughest fish™
crazy, how do you self destruct a G.T.B?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

EmperorIng wrote:Silly question: how do I move the burst laser around? I can only fire it normally, or at a fixed location. Does it depend on the ship? (I've only tried the default and I think the Legend - whatever the two original DB ships were).
I'll just go through all the ships and their burst features or their equivalents, even though Legend, Next, and Formula are what you're interested in.

For Legend, Next, and Formula:
Press C (default keyboard controls) to fire the straight burst, which eats up your burst meter quickly and gives the x4 multiplier. Activate your burst laser right as you're getting hit by one of the enemy's burst lasers (the red one with a countdown sound before it) to counterburst - you can do this either by starting it right as the enemy's laser starts, or wait until after the enemy's laser starts and move into it while activating your burst. Counterburst gives a x6 multiplier instead of x4 and I think it uses up the burst energy more slowly (like the fixed burst).

Double-tap C or press V to fire the fixed burst, which doesn't give the multiplier but uses burst energy much more slowly, making it easy to sustain for a long time by using it to absorb bullets or destroy enemies (which both recharge energy) by positioning it like a wall. For Legend and Formula, the fixed burst will try to point away from your ship, while with Next the fixed burst will try to point towards your ship. It doesn't rotate while you're firing, except while you're initially setting it up by holding C/V, so let go of fire if you need to rotate it. Press C or V again to end the fixed burst.

I think Formula's burst drains more slowly than Legend and Next's, making up for its low range. Edit: Apparently not according to Zaarock, but it recharges faster.

Genesis and Murakumo don't have fixed burst and instead press C to change option formation and hold C to charge up the burst. Similar to G.Darius, with these two ships you can start the burst and move into the enemy's beam at separate times, no precise timing required. Also similar to G.Darius, Genesis can only use the whole burst gauge at once (Murakumo can use it on demand). When Murakumo's burst ends it detonates similar to Assault's burst finish.

Gaiden replaces the burst feature with Darius Gaiden's black hole bomb. Press C when the gauge is full, pretty simple.

With Assault, you press the burst button to fire the spark burst, which does damage around it while draining your burst gauge. You can press the burst button again while the spark burst is out to detonate it, dealing great damage and giving you potentially the highest multiplier in the game.

Origin and Second have no burst, and instead you hold C to fire missiles separately like in Darius 1 and 2. Their regular multipliers are scaled higher than the other ships, though, so they don't miss out on all that multiplier-based scoring.
mamboFoxtrot wrote:On PC it' should be the Shift key for keyboard, and for joystick it's whatever button on your controller is considered #4, and not related to whatever you've mapped anything to. I don't know why more PC games don't let you configure the menu controls - it's always a weird time for me when using my PS2 controller.
Thanks, shift worked for me. I personally don't mind non-configurable menu controls (though being able to configure is always better), as long as they actually tell you what the controls are (especially for buttons that don't correspond to anything in the game itself, like shift).
Last edited by Shepardus on Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:36 am, edited 2 times in total.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

ArmoredCore wrote:crazy, how do you self destruct a G.T.B?
I think that just means timing it out. Every boss still explodes on timeout. I think outside CS mode the boss can only be fought in Chronicle mode in the final areas? Guessing that will take at least a few months for people to unlock.
Shepardus wrote:I think Formula's burst drains more slowly than Legend and Next's, making up for its low range.
No, it's exactly the same. However Formula has the fastest movement speed. The nice thing about Formula is that you always have fast fire rate even if shots miss because of the range limit. But it's actually stronger in CS mode because of narrower screen and might move even faster, haven't tested. The shot is also really good if you keep it at the max level of the yellow/piercing shot instead of the green wave.

Assault has a counter burst that's triggered exactly like every other Burst ship. You can counter burst the same enemy laser multiple times. With the counter explosion you can get the 112x multiplier on bosses but it's really annoying to do (you need to be spot on with the health)
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Anyone else having an issue on PS4 of the contents of the screen not all fitting?
I'm running my PS4 on a new Samsung tv via HDMI, all my other games are sized normally but I notice in DBCS that the margins are just outside my viewing area. I.e. The loading icons, some of the words and graphics are clipped off. Happens in both AC and CS modes.

I don't see any visual options in game.
IDruggedShamu

Post by IDruggedShamu »

ATTRACTS wrote:Anyone else having an issue on PS4 of the contents of the screen not all fitting?
I'm running my PS4 on a new Samsung tv via HDMI, all my other games are sized normally but I notice in DBCS that the margins are just outside my viewing area. I.e. The loading icons, some of the words and graphics are clipped off. Happens in both AC and CS modes.

Same for me. Need to disable overscan in your TV settings.
Last edited by IDruggedShamu on Mon Dec 07, 2015 3:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Zaarock wrote:
Shepardus wrote:I think Formula's burst drains more slowly than Legend and Next's, making up for its low range.
No, it's exactly the same. However Formula has the fastest movement speed. The nice thing about Formula is that you always have fast fire rate even if shots miss because of the range limit. But it's actually stronger in CS mode because of narrower screen and might move even faster, haven't tested. The shot is also really good if you keep it at the max level of the yellow/piercing shot instead of the green wave.

Assault has a counter burst that's triggered exactly like every other Burst ship. You can counter burst the same enemy laser multiple times. With the counter explosion you can get the 112x multiplier on bosses but it's really annoying to do (you need to be spot on with the health)
Scratch that, just read up on some japanese wiki and it indeed says that Formula has the fastest burst gauge regain. That would explain why it has higher WRs on some routes than Legend/NEXT and why it's good to stay with the bullet cancelling yellow shot..

http://www24.atwiki.jp/darius/pages/54.html
BONKERS

Post by BONKERS »

ATTRACTS wrote:Anyone else having an issue on PS4 of the contents of the screen not all fitting?

You can blame the television industry for that. For whatever god damn reason, TVs still ship with overscan on.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

BONKERS wrote:

You can blame the television industry for that. For whatever god damn reason, TVs still ship with overscan on.
Thank you (and the other reply above). A simple switch of sizing on the tv fixed it right up. I appreciate the tip!

This game is fantastic.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

BONKERS wrote: You can blame the television industry for that. For whatever god damn reason, TVs still ship with overscan on.
Well now I know why I've been having display issues with my HD consoles for the past few years :lol:

So is there a point in the AC chronicle and CS modes when they kick into high gear? I'm still fairly early on in CS mode, and it seems pretty grindy with the same stage archetypes and bosses being constantly repeated.

Apparently at some point previously cleared stages will get invaded or something? I'm just going off what I saw in the trailer with some of the mission hexes getting covered with WARNINGS.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

BONKERS wrote:You can blame Samsung for that. For whatever god damn reason, TVs still ship with overscan on.
Fixed. :P
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
ratsflif

Post by ratsflif »

We setup two matching 60" tvs and had some 4 player DariusBurst action today. It was glorious...

trap15

Post by trap15 »

Oh my god that looks amazing, great setup.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

sweet setup. I only have a laptop and a 32" HDTV to play it on, but the game still looks and plays nice, even on the 14" laptop screen. Similar max resolution for both at 768p. I can't imagine playing AC EX on the Vita, though, and this is coming from someone used to playing games on a small screen. One odd thing is that Dariusburst Chronicle Saviors forces the TV to 59p Hz. It doesn't seem to cause any problems and still runs at 60 FPS.
ArmoredCore

Post by ArmoredCore »

So what are all the new bosses? I've encountered Gigantic Bite, Azure Nightmare & Crimson Nightmare so far.
antron

Post by antron »

How can I get that there ^ dual screen setup? Steam?

Saw a pretty sweet looking PSTV YouTube video. Pretty cheap...
Steelix100

Post by Steelix100 »

antron wrote:How can I get that there ^ dual screen setup? Steam?

Saw a pretty sweet looking PSTV YouTube video. Pretty cheap...
Dual screen is steam exclusive.
Casual shmup player
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

ArmoredCore wrote:So what are all the new bosses? I've encountered Gigantic Bite, Azure Nightmare & Crimson Nightmare so far.
Nice, you've gotten very far then. There's also the three Crab boss variants.
Spoiler
Looking at game file names on pc ver: there is a fourth set of files for the crab for some reason. Gigantic bite only has one set so I doubt it has a variant. Azure Nightmare has two sets as it has two variants. But who knows, there might be some surprises left. I wish there was a super hard variant of the Nightmare, its design and music are amazing but it's easy compared to most bosses.

Ran into this review http://www.hardcoregamer.com/2015/12/05 ... rs/180490/
hardcoregamer.com wrote:Some levels require multiple players to beat and others only a single credit. That latter requirement is particularly challenging seeing as the difficulty is set to the same quarter-eating level as the arcade mode. Credits are endless, though, and quarter-feeding quickly becomes a somewhat guilty second nature in both Original and Chronicle modes.
ADH route confirmed quarter-eater. I thought that was ok overall though.

I have seen a total of 0 reviews mention the fact that CS mode has unique stages and bosses and effectively ends the Dariusburst series. Gigantic Bite is even in the cover art. Maybe the reviews are bad or this could've been advertized more in the west (pretty sure the japanese playerbase knows about this)

edit: an article on Eurogamer does mention all this. Also confirms that there are 6 new bosses.
so new bosses:
Spoiler
Force Claw, Solid Claw, Twin Claw, Azure Nightmare, Crimson Nightmare, Gigantic Bite
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

ratsflif wrote:We setup two matching 60" tvs and had some 4 player DariusBurst action today. It was glorious...
Amazing setup. You should consider posting in that thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=960
Working in the japanese language achievement
ratsflif

Post by ratsflif »

jandrogo wrote:
ratsflif wrote:We setup two matching 60" tvs and had some 4 player DariusBurst action today. It was glorious...
Amazing setup. You should consider posting in that thread: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... &start=960

Thanks, here is a post on instagram:

https://www.instagram.com/p/-9v0tdhe4v/

We also streamed it on twitch, here is one of the videos, at the very end of the video I finally pulled off the Counter Burst on the last boss:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5khVMXYjs3E
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

Question for those playing this on an arcade stick: how exactly do you have your buttons mapped?
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

amdiggywhut wrote:Question for those playing this on an arcade stick: how exactly do you have your buttons mapped?
I just mimicked the arcade setup with my index finger on the turn button, my middle finger on fire, and my ring finger on burst.
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

Ew, that's how it's setup in the arcade? That's pretty counter intuitive for me, think I'll need to switch it up a bit.

Thank you for your response.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Yeah it seemed dumb to me too, but I assumed maybe Taito knew something about ergonomics I didn't?

So I just went with it.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Code: Select all

[Shot] [Burst] [F.Burst]
[Turn]
vector7

Post by vector7 »

http://steamcommunity.com/id/dimmujed/r ... ed/377870/ Great, apparently 4.9 hours is enough to write a review.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

4.9 is quite a lot, especially considering no trading cards. :P
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS