ZeroRanger (formerly FINALBOSS) - New DEMO out now!

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Dave_K.

Re: FINAL BOSS -Raw Label- (Version 2015/10/21)

Post by Dave_K. »

Shadolf wrote: Do you know some more details about the Airframe Arcade System?
Skycurser team released the Airframe specs.
AIRFRAME supports any game compiled for x86 Linux or HTML5. GMS is NOT a requirement. Video Support from 240p (CGA) via JAMMA, all the way to 1080p via HDMI (we do not plan on internally developing HD games any time soon). Up to 6 buttons per player, although we plan to use no more than 4 with our games.

Specs:

- Processor aka "Crazy Eddie"- Instruction Set: x86-64 - Cores: four (4) Athlon - Frequency: 1.6 GHz - Cache: 2 MB

- Main Memory- Size: 2 GB - Frequency: 1333 MHz

- Graphics Processor aka "Orwell" - AMD Radeon HD8400 - Frequency: 600 MHz - Graphics Memory: 256 MB

- Sound Processor aka "Blast" - Realtek ALC887
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Having Final Boss as well as ZenoHell on Airframe would be godlike.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
jandrogo

Post by jandrogo »

Dave_K. wrote: - Processor aka "Crazy Eddie"- Instruction Set: x86-64 - Cores: four (4) Athlon - Frequency: 1.6 GHz - Cache: 2 MB
- Main Memory- Size: 2 GB - Frequency: 1333 MHz
- Graphics Processor aka "Orwell" - AMD Radeon HD8400 - Frequency: 600 MHz - Graphics Memory: 256 MB
- Sound Processor aka "Blast" - Realtek ALC887
Considering the specs, AMD Athlon 5150 based?

Guys, your game looks amazing. You can see the love, the effort and enthusiasm put in it
Working in the japanese language achievement
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

I'll take my time to say that you two (Ebbo and eebrozgi) are pretty much one of a kind awesome developers.
When I suggested Lock-on/Arc Adder background meddling is stage 2-1, I was kinda throwing words on wind. And you just fucking up and made it happen.
You deserve every 10k medal.
1. Unusual Weaponry
2. Short Words
3. Blind(ing) Fire
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Six years ago, the first public demo of Final Boss was released. The time sure has flown by so quickly!
To celebrate this anniversary we decided to take a trip down the memory lane and dug up some true legacy versions of the game, all the way from the beginning of the year 2008.

Things were certainly... simpler back then...

Brace yourself and take a look.
Spoiler
On more brighter note, eebrozgi is currently working on TATE-version and has already made some encouraging progress so hopefully we'll get that one out of our system as soon as possible :P
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

That honestly doesn't look or sound bad at all, I was expecting much worse for nearly eight years ago.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

That bullet size is actually quite terrifying
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

Just out of interest after this many years, are you sick of that shade of blue/green yet? :)

Seriously though - great video. Nice you took the time to put that together, the effort that has gone in to this game and overall polish-as-you-go approach is fantastic.
facebook: Facebook
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Ebbo wrote:
Spoiler
Should have Photoshopped "Green Orange Julius" onto the drink cup.
ReiKusanagi

Post by ReiKusanagi »

Everything has a humble beginning. But this game has come a long way from that.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

n0rtygames wrote:Just out of interest after this many years, are you sick of that shade of blue/green yet? :)
Surprisingly I'd say no, not yet. There has been some minor tweaking and experimentation with other colors along the way but for some reason the current palette has really stuck with us. Although the selection of colors was made in quite a haphazard way, the low amount of colors has been very helpful as well. It sort of forced me to work around its limitations and learn how pixel art actually works (well, the basics at least).
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Truly beautiful and a real inspiration.

I like how you set some hard limits and I like the limited palettes.
I want to play this.
More Bromances = safer people
Captain

Post by Captain »

Hey Eebroshidori, I have a simple suggestion!

Add a way to cut straight to the bosses from stage selection so we can practice ̶g̶r̶a̶p̶e̶f̶r̶u̶i̶t̶ ̶d̶r̶i̶l̶l̶ ̶r̶u̶n̶s̶ them more easily.

Also maybe a boss rush mode while you're at it? Would be very player-friendly.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
Ebbo

Re: FINAL BOSS -Raw Label- (TATE build available)

Post by Ebbo »

Happy new year everyone!

The dream is alive: TATE build is done, you can download it from here. If you fancy flip-screen action, please give it a try and report if you encounter any problems or bugs.
Besides TATE the game is identical to the previous version.

Since TATE is finally out of the way (for now at least), there most likely won't be any big updates for a while unless something game breaking turns out. Now we enter the long, arduous road towards the final version. It's hard to tell how long it will take us to finish everything but since we've come so far already, I don't think there is anything stopping this train. It will be done, eventually.

We'll meet again somewhere in the hopefully-not-so-distant future. Until then, take care.

@Captain: We'll see what we can do... We'll try our hardest!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Has anyone else had problems with the tate build? I have my winXP starting in 640x480 and the two oranges logo displays properly, but when the game starts, the image is squished and partially off the screen. I tried adjusting the visuals options but nothing corrects this. Could it be my video card?

Here is a pic http://imgur.com/r3y3DWm
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

Hoo boy. Hmm... Does anything change in your favor when you start a stage, change between windowed/different fullscreen modes or change the resolution?

I'll try looking into it, whatever causes this. To me the build behaves all nice 'n' dandy so pinpointing it might take some time.
If watching the trailer of the game
makes you feel a certain way
I would be very happy if
you would give the game a try

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Strongly advise updating your drivers Dave_K. XP is old but there should be something sufficient for it to at least handle surfaces unless its something really ancient like my legacy PC (which doesn't support surfaces at all).
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Sad to say my only Windows machine is fairly old, so it may be the video card. It does however play Crimzon Clover. Anyway let me see if I have a newer card somewhere to test with.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

At least check your driver version to see if there's a newer release before ruling it out completely. My legacy PC card's a RIVA TNT2 so if it's newer than that I would've thought it'd support surface rendering correctly.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

FINAL BOSS - Not Stage 4 Preview

Here is a regular irregular excuse to rise this thread from its grave in form of an update video. This video mostly focuses showcasing some of the aesthetic updates alongside few minute gameplay changes.

Now back down to the dev lair we go...

Edit: Just gonna leave this here as well because holy crap.
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

Ay.

As we moved on to GameMaker:Studio, the ever-nostalgic MIDI support was finally dropped. To us it meant that the best solution was to properly arrange - in other words - remake the entire soundtrack in waveform format.
So the time is ripe to release Raw Label's MIDI soundtrack:

GREEN SOUNDS -Raw Label-

Pay what you want, 0$ minimum!
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
Puyopuyomayo

Post by Puyopuyomayo »

Hi

I have downlaoded thae game and after playing at normal speed is now in some weird slow motion mode I can't get it back to normal

When selecting the FPS visualiser the game is stuck at 24 fps -- I have a 144hz monitor -- please help
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

Hard to say... Try turning off joystick support from the options menu, reboot the game and see if it helps. If you want to play with a gamepad, try using J2K instead.

If it doesn't work, one super dirty fix one player found for this issue was simply to plug a gamepad into your computer before/while playing, you don't even have to use the gamepad to play.

If none of that helps, I may consider making a separate version where all the GM8.1's toxic gamepad functions are taken out.
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
Puyopuyomayo

Post by Puyopuyomayo »

eebrozgi wrote:Hard to say... Try turning off joystick support from the options menu, reboot the game and see if it helps. If you want to play with a gamepad, try using J2K instead.

If it doesn't work, one super dirty fix one player found for this issue was simply to plug a gamepad into your computer before/while playing, you don't even have to use the gamepad to play.

If none of that helps, I may consider making a separate version where all the GM8.1's toxic gamepad functions are taken out.

Tried rebooting - no change

deleted the game and reunzipped - no change

:(
Ebbo

Re: FINALBOSS (Latest version: 2015/10/21)

Post by Ebbo »

Few minor updates:

Firstly, the above problem mentioned by Puyopuyomayo was solved through PM:s and did indeed seem related to gamepad issues. A forceful quick-fix was to remove gamepad support from the game entirely. You can still - and are recommended to - use a joystick-to-keyboard mapper such as J2K.

Here's a download for the no-gamepad build.

Secondly, from here on out the game will be officially known as FINALBOSS, so here is a new short trailer to commemorate the occasion! Obviously we're not going to crucify anyone for writing the name in the old way, we just figured this specific spelling would make things easier in the long run - hope you don't mind.
Ebbo

Re: FINALBOSS - Now heading for Steam

Post by Ebbo »

FINALBOSS is heading to Steam this year.

I guess we finally sold out :P

To tell you the truth the idea of commercial release has gnawed its way through our thick skulls for quite some time now. What started as small hobby project has grown into something way more ambitious than either could've imagined. It's also become abundantly clear to us that we really like doing what we do. If there is even a remote chance of us turning our passion into actual career, we figured now might be the best time to seize that opportunity and see where it will take us.

On the bright side, this also means the development of FB is finally reaching its end. Kind of. Although we're fairly confident in making the release this year (hopefully sooner than later) some concessions have been made to reach that goal. The "hard" mode of the earlier builds won't be available at launch but this isn't really much of loss considering how barebones it was. Fortunately we've already brainstormed and implemented some of the features for the new hard mode and we'll release this mode later down the line as a free update once we're happy with it. For now our focus is on finishing the main game.

The previous "Raw Label" version of the game will remain available for download even after the final version releases but there won't be any updates for that particular version.

And with that I’d like to thank you all for playing, commenting and offering us invaluable feedback throughout these years. Needless to say we wouldn't have reached this far without your support.
Ebbo

Re: ZeroRanger (formerly FINALBOSS) - New DEMO out now!

Post by Ebbo »

Okay can't postpone these updates any longer so here we go.

FINALBOSS has been renamed to ZeroRanger! As to commemorate, we've also released new demo:
https://system-erasure.itch.io/zerorangerdemo

This one is much shorter than previous public versions, more akin to a vertical slice of the final game. There are still some surprises left but I guess you'll have to try the demo for yourself to see what that's all about :P

Also, we've an actual release date now: August 24th 2018. The ride finally ends...
ReiKusanagi

Post by ReiKusanagi »

The name change makes it easier to make a Tv tropes page about it; though I wonder if anyone actually found out the secret Zero Ranger moves yet or not.
Seyriuu

Post by Seyriuu »

This game was an insta-buy for me, the graphics, the music, everything is awesome. I've even read your first posts and its nice to see how much it evolved, specially on the graphics side. I'm wondering now what some people here is thinking now knowing that trashed your game once you started hahaha, anyway, congratulations and you two will serve as inspiration for a lot of people (including myself).

I found a bug thou, in the beginning of the 4th stage, fighting the second big ship that comes from the left. I destroyed its right side entirely and it started strafing to the left, I went to the left aswell to destroy its other side and out of nowhere it shot that big laser and killed me, when I respawned I noticed it stopped attacking and I kept waiting to see what would happen, it started to strafe slowly to the right and eventually went off the screen, then I was locked there forever because the stage would only continue after I kill it and now its way off-screen.
toebee

Post by toebee »

Ebbo wrote:Okay can't postpone these updates any longer so here we go.

FINALBOSS has been renamed to ZeroRanger!
Because it contains zerORANGEr ?

Brilliant game. If there is ever a Switch version, I'll buy it again for all my friends.