Darius (new thread)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Perikles

Re: Darius (new thread)

Post by Perikles »

Darius - Arcade

Perikles & 4,529,950 & ALL & ACEIMRX & ON

Not too unhappy with this result considering that it only took four hours to achieve it. :) I was surprised to see that the PCE ports are really accurate for the most parts even though the perspective is obviously vastly different. The ironic thing is that I feel like they are even a bit cleaner regarding the hit detection, those dense spread patterns fired from the turrets are sometimes nigh impossible to dodge in the arcade game.

I have a few questions for our Darius experts:

1) Do bosses time out and if so, when? Seems like you could destroy cubes for quite a while, and at least on the above route it wouldn't be too dangerous to do since the bosses are all pushovers.

2) How do you get even more points (aside from getting lucky with those accursed gray balls)? Checkpoint milking at the Octopus?

3) Just how exactly is Darius Extra different/better?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

1) I don't believe bosses time out - the game expects you to die from the endless onslaught of cubes.

2) As far as I know, the biggest amount of points comes from milking Great Thing's drills and the cubes.

3) Darius Extra rebalances some boss fights to make them more manageable (Dual Shears and Fatty Glutton are far easier to defeat with the laser in this version), and a few other minor changes in order to iron out some of the unfairness present in the arcade original. Despite being nearly identical, the minor changes make it a far better game in my opinion.

I too am surprised that Super Darius is so close in stage layout and enemy patterns to the arcade original. Heck, not only do you get more bosses, but fairly accurate levels, too. A win-win.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Super Darius is meant to be a "complete" version of the game. All the bosses in Super Darius were developed for the arcade version, and were scrapped because Taito simply didn't have any more room. Many of them can be seen on the arcade flyer.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Darius - Arcade

Perikles & 5,399,750 & ALL & ACEIMRX & ON

That was actually scary. Since I never upgrade the pea shooter I had to make sure that I aim properly in order to destroy the rearmost tentacle/leg of the octopus whilst dodging all those pesky cubes. It's not too stressful to milk him, but once you're on your final life it becomes serious! Managed to mess up my initials thanks to the autofire. :lol:

Thanks for the information, EmperorIng. :) Did some testing myself and it indeed looks like the game times you out - the cubes start shooting lightning-fast bullets after a while just like in later games. So while it might be theoretically possible to milk forever you're probably going to die rather sooner than later. Will try out Darius Extra in the foreseeable future!
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Nice, breaking into the top 3.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Thread updated.

EDIT 1st post: Now removed the top 10 rule to give the chance for people to catch up to the top of the mountain.
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Darius Extra

Perikles & 9,712,990 & ALL & ACFJOTZ & ON

Video

Darius Plus

Perikles & 6,387,950 & ALL & ABDHMRX & ON

That's the Darius Plus score from one page ago, but since it wasn't added I feel no shame in posting it anew. :P

Nothing fancy about the Extra score, just the result of a few random credits checking out a new route. Thought I might play something relaxing before plunging into the sea of madness that is Parodius Da! Turned out to be a fairly decent run, I unfortunately missed a few lucrative enemy waves, the boss fights are mostly solid, though. Didn't exercise any milking, I can think of better uses of my time than destroying cubes or drills (I'd also have to learn to not kill Great Thing this quickly, bosses don't live long in Extra).
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

DARIUS - ARCADE/MAME
& Ruldra & 3,485,370 & ALL & ABDGKQV & ON

[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
GGA_HAN

Post by GGA_HAN »

Darius - ARCADE/MAME

HAN & 5,316,430 & ALL & ACEHMRX & OFF

Played on the floor of Galloping Ghost Arcade on an original PCB and cabinet w no autofire.
GGA_HAN

Post by GGA_HAN »

PCE-CD Super Darius

HAN & 5,155,300 & ALL & ABDHMRW & ON

Link of replay: https://youtu.be/5DriXbeT6Ko

Got the no miss, which I'm pretty happy about. Even with the PC Engine's built-in autofire on its controller, this felt harder than arcade Darius, which I can 1cc pretty consistenly without autofire.
GGA_HAN

Post by GGA_HAN »

Darius Plus - PC Engine

HAN & 6,019,650 & ALL & ABDHMRW & ON

replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i9t876GB9-c
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

Darius
PlasmaBlooD 4,033,370 ALL ACEIMRX ON

PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

PlasmaBlooD wrote:Super Darius CD boss rush mode PCE CD

PlasmaBlooD 5,948,500 ALL ON

:P
i had on 13.october 2012 this 1 cc in Super Darius CD Bossrushmode and was not updatet over Years :-( The picture was on my webspace but i close this webspace.The picture was on 13 oktober 2012 online!!!
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

Some scores I've been working on over the last month or so. Hope I've got the format right:

Darius - Arcade / MAME
& Klatrymadon & 4,213,840 & ACEIMRX & OFF
(pic)

Darius Extra - Arcade / MAME
& Klatrymadon & 9,379,390 & ACEIMRX & OFF
(pic)

Darius Plus - PCE
& Klatrymadon & 5,276,050 & ABDGKPZ & ON
(pic)

Darius Alpha - PCE
& Klatrymadon & 3,821,500 & ALL & OFF
(pic)

Milking bosses in Alpha is incredibly hairy at times and yields very little reward. :lol:

(There's an old score under the initials YOG for Super Darius. That's mine, if you want to change it to my stupid username for uniformity/clarity!)
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Darius Extra Arcade
M.Knight - 4,290,310 - Stage 7 Boss - ACFJOUV - 5.45Hz
Spoiler
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
zoydo

Post by zoydo »

Darius Plus - zoydo - 5.244.400 - All (ABDGKQV) - on

TOB
Mordecai Walfish

Post by Mordecai Walfish »

Hello, longtime Darius fan here, and am just catching up to some of the older entries now, via the MiSTer FPGA project. I was wondering if high scores are acceptable through that, as it runs at the same speed as the source hardware and does not allow things like cheats and/or savestates.

Been working on Darius Plus for TGFX for a little over a month now and just got my capture card earlier this week, and recorded this today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j3yMvtllG1k

1 life playthrough to Zone X, using MiSTer's low latency output over hdmi (~0.25ms display lag).

I didn't know where on the forum to ask if these kinds of scores are allowed so I figured I'd ask here, under the topic for my favorite shmup series ever =)

Thanks.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Darius Plus scores are allowed; just read the first post in this topic to see how to post them in the correct format. Congrats on the clear! I need to clear Super Darius one of these days.
Mordecai Walfish

Darius Plus (PC Engine SuperGrafx via MiSTer FPGA)

Mordecai Walrus - 5,609,650 - ALL - ABEHMRX - ON

Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Latest results from the PS4 port

Darius - Arcade / MAME

& Kollision & 5,000,630 & ALL & ACEIMRX & ON

Darius Extra - Arcade / MAME

& Kollision & 9,592,040 & ALL & ACEIMRX & ON

Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Darius Alpha – PCE

Perikles & 3,823,600 & ALL & On
Mordecai Walfish

Are scores going to be taken here for the new Genesis version of Darius that was recently released with the Mini consoles? I noticed that my score from a half year ago was never added to the scoreboard on the first post, and was just wondering if this was going to continue to be updated?

Anyway, here is my submission:

Darius (Genesis / Mega Drive 2019 release from mini console, played on the MiSTer FPGA Genesis core)

Mordecai Walrus - 3,955,550 - ALL - ABEHMRX - ON

No deaths, first time clearing this version of the game. Played in Arcade mode.

video of run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXEp7cHlSn4
ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

I'm also assuming the Megadrive/Genesis 2019 port will get included in here at some point. I set a high score for myself last night on that version (all upper path): Used Tiat but didn't end up dying once anyway, heh. Played it with the original hardware with the rom on a MegaSD.

Darius (Megadrive, Arcade mode, default settings + Tiat, route ABDGKPZ) 4135050

Last edited by ubersaurus on Thu Jul 23, 2020 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Darius (Mega Drive Mini)
copy-paster - 4,261,300 - ALL - ABDGLRX - ON

Playing this game as a break of Gradius V Score Attack attempt, will try clear Super Darius soon.
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Super Darius
copy-paster - 4,810,650 - ALL - ABDHMRX - ON

ubersaurus

Post by ubersaurus »

Super Darius (PC Engine CD)
ubersaurus - 5,087,000 - arcade mode - All - ACEIMRX - On

Early video game historian - check out my book, Atari Archive Vol. 1, now on sale, and my Youtube channel Atari Archive for more!
GGA_HAN

Post by GGA_HAN »

Arcade - Darius Extra Version (played on the Cozmic Collection)

HAN & 9,724,870 & ALL & ABDGKQV & ON

replay: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eiY_TjiFFC4
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

Darius Extra Arcade
iconoclast - 10,528,890 - ALL - ACFJOTZ - ON - https://youtu.be/CIPkWIxo10w

that's my highest score overall, but there really should be separate boards for each end zone since every route has different scoring potential and it doesn't make sense to compare them. in case they're ever added, here are the rest of my scores:

iconoclast - 9,880,480 - ALL - ACEIMRX - ON - https://youtu.be/p9ESG8dkRO4
iconoclast - 9,933,180 - ALL - ABDGKQW - ON - https://youtu.be/9RwXeNJJbg8
iconoclast - 10,141,170 - ALL - ACFJOTY - ON - https://youtu.be/LyZZEioVeWk
iconoclast - 10,316,710 - ALL - ACEHLQV - ON - https://youtu.be/VCQtRcWNMzc
Prickly Angler

Post by Prickly Angler »

I don’t know where I should write this, but since people interested in the game probably check this thread, and that there’s so many shmuping discords where messages get drowned I thought I might as well write this here.

First thanks so much to Mark Msx for restreaming the Shoot the Baguette event, it was a blast and I hope everyone had a great time !! Here are some answers to some questions that got asked in the chat and by the commentator :

Darius is a very easy shmup as long as you stick with survival and don’t venture cave and mazes and other claustrophobic areas. The point was to show to the viewers that the game is very accesible. They are tons of easy routes in this game, but ABDHMRX definetely came to me as the easiest and the most usefull to debunk the myth that the game is hard (compared to other shmups of course). Actually I’d say the hardest part of my run was stage one since you have little power and need to get powered up real fast.

The run I did on Darius was not a scoring one, it seemed obivious for me that it wasn’t since high level scoring is very boring to watch and there was not point in showing this to the audience (remember that world record runs last for 1h45 or so). As requested by Yami I only showed how scoring was done : by leeching the kaitens the boss throws and the yazukas (scientific name for the « cubes »). When I lost my first life I went on and got rid of the boss. There was absolutely no leeching of Keen Bayonet, it is just how the fight goes when you power up to laser in the new version. Even with the regular shot it takes a while because his mouth has a small hitbox and is protected from above, plus he only opens it from time to time.

Concerning rank it’s not really a rank, it is not dynamic difficulty : the only thing it does is give bosses more hp after switching to different shot types. Overall laser and wave can wreah havok the last two bosses in the new version. Fatty Glutton is hard with the laser, thus I switch to laser only after deafeating him.

Main thing to consider when playing Darius is the space given, and the shot limit which is so little, but except Green Coronatus (which is just broken) I’d say all the bosses are fairly managable. I do use an autofire as stated by some people, it is set to 5hz. I actually don’t use it to increase my firepower, it makes me weaker (I can tap faster than five times a second lol) but I use it for convenience issues. Though I don’t mind tapping two different buttons with two different fingers at a cabinet (done it on Sagaïa without a problem), tapping two buttons with just one finger on a PS4 pad is really painfull (though I do tap during the asteroid field). 30 hz is definetely usefull for massive firepower and abusing some bosses like Green Coronatus, but I usually don’t play games with the 30hz becayse it makes them too easy. If using 30 hz one does need to be carefull with the fire limit, but othrerwise it is not game breaking, it doesn’t make the game piss easy compared to how it is without as it did in Darius Gaiden or Darius 2.

And since we’re here :

& Prickly Angler & 5488580 & ALL & ABEHMRX & On
tinotormed

Post by tinotormed »

Darius Plus - PC Engine
& tinotormed & 5,967,950 & ALL & ABDHMRX & ON

Came back to this game, and on finally a real hardware after a decade of playing on emulation.

Also, seems the game is nigh impossible without autofire. And if it is, it requires some patience.

Link from the stream: (sorry for the wobbly view during Zone B)
https://www.facebook.com/20017210467243 ... 497890664/

(YouTube replay coming soon)
YT|2nd YT|1ccs|
Good, bad, I'm the guy with the keyboard! Note:Please PM me if you need scores to be updated!