Xbox One Backwards Compatibility - Vote for 360 shmups here

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
thelion1856

Re: Xbox One Backwards Compatibility - Vote for 360 shmups h

Post by thelion1856 »

If you read the article I posted you will see that someone is working on a xbox360 emulator for PC and it's supposedly getting really good results. I wonder if they did the same thing?
1up

Post by 1up »

posted where?

I see you linked to an article about a dude making the perfect snes emulator.
thelion1856

Post by thelion1856 »

Sorry different article read so many yesterday, this one is the article of the 360 emulator http://www.cinemablend.com/m/games/Xbox ... 61881.html

here is an article on how the xbone is going to emulate the 360 starting with 100 games for the first batch, let's hope there's at least one shooter in those,
http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/18/xbox ... -it-works/
Quantium

Post by Quantium »

Does anyone happen to know if MS or anyone else has said so far if the BC is going to be region free? If so........ :D
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Quantium wrote:Does anyone happen to know if MS or anyone else has said so far if the BC is going to be region free? If so........ :D
Until they say otherwise, it's best to assume that all locked games will remain locked to their respective territories, and all region-free games will stay region-free.

Much like the PS3, the Xbox One DOES deceptively have the capability for region locking built into the OS, which was already put to use for the system's launch in mainland China.
thelion1856

Post by thelion1856 »

I agree if this works and STG games do happen to get released on the backward compatibility program then I'm sure that it will be region locked if the game was region locked. For the few games that use to be region locked and then showed up on western GAmes on demand lists (shooting love 200x) then if these games were to be released in the B.C. List then they would show in the same regions they got released on like the western regions.

But remember even if Microsoft okays the release of a 360 game to be backward comparable (let's put example of a cave game) then the final say does come down to the developer and publisher allowing the release to be backward compatible for the xbone. Lets say Microsoft goes with the votes of having Ketsui to be one of these backward compatable games and green lights it, then Cave says no they don't want to do it then that means that ketsui never becomes a BC game even though Microsoft wanted to do it and green lighted it and said yes this is on our list.

On top of all this Microsoft is starting with 100 games for the first batch. Most likely they will do the popular games that sold a good amount & were backed by big publishers, how many versions of call of duty games are there on that list that will take up a good amount of spots and how many other top developers are there that can take that risk financially? Also a second wave was never promised so if they fail at getting the sales numbers they can easily drop this program and say hey at least we BC'd 100 360 games for you.

Either ways still voted for every STG game on the list in this forum cuz even if one gets put on there it's better than none and helps our favorite genre of video games.
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

Isn't there a way to submit games I want to be backwards compatible? On this list I am missing Dodonpachi Res., QUTE games like Ginga Force & Eschatos and Sine Mora.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

It is highly unlikely that any 360 games without an American release will be considered for BC support at this time, or perhaps at any time in the future. The US is the only region with a large enough install base of Xbox One systems to justify investment in the program.
yyr

Post by yyr »

gameoverDude wrote:Why couldn't they just port the executable and reuse the data? I liked Antron's idea, and it would've been the better way to go than emulating.
For emulating, doesn't the host system have to be several times as powerful as the target (I heard somewhere 10x)?
OG Xbox = x86 architecture.
X360 = PowerPC.
X1 = x86 architecture.

The various articles claim that the X1->360 backwards compatibility uses a combination of both emulation and virtualization. My belief is that some recompilation has taken place, as you can't run the original discs (you must download a digital copy, which is given to you for free as long as you have the disc inserted).
http://www.yyrgames.com
I exclusively make arcade-style games. Now available for Steam and Xbox =)
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

CPU architecture is arguably the smallest part of the problem; running code from CPU with another, and keeping it on a single die, is a very old and well known problem with lots of approaches and ready solutions, and should even be true for a lesser-used CPU like the IBM chip (that said, Apple did skip software support when moving from similar IBM Power hardware to Intel). What's likely to be the bigger cost is dealing with the complex, semi-custom, and (in the case of the 360) variously bottlenecked one-off GPU designs. Even though the original Xbox design is semi-custom, and the 360 GPU has a complex system of data bridges (which Microsoft and AMD already dealt with skillfully when combining the original two AMD dies into one for a hardware revision, while preserving the correct timing), all the functions in even the original Xbox GPU seem to follow more or less modern principles that should be no problem for modern programmable GPU hardware. It'd be interesting to know how close to running the code natively or using an API they could get, but still I think there's ample hardware to do it. The problem doesn't seem very big, and hopefully the GPU vendors will easily handle it. But I don't think it's work that's basically already finished, as I think you can say for the CPU side, so it's likely to have a sizable engineering cost.

I wish they would take seriously support for the original Xbox, since that system is especially needy of future-looking support.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

The GPU access is all gated through an API though. Simulate the API, and you're there. I am pretty sure this is what Xenia does as well, and it's what all PSP emulators do. With sufficiently abstracted APIs, it's relatively trivial to simulate the hardware, just getting a good CPU emulation and cleaning up the stuff that wasn't abstracted is the main work.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
szycag

Post by szycag »

Wish I could vote for Eschatos, not that I'll be getting an Xbox One anytime soon.
That is Galactic Dancing
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

szycag wrote:Wish I could vote for Eschatos, not that I'll be getting an Xbox One anytime soon.
yeah, I feel the same way. Eschatos is good stuff.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

All hope is not lost for region-free 360 BC!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=6363
:lol:
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

https://twitter.com/cavegames/status/628042711342280705

Cave titles will be playable on Xbox One via backwards compatibility.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Cuilan wrote:All hope is not lost for region-free 360 BC!

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.ph ... count=6363
That would be quite the game changer. If BC is somehow input lag-free. Then once the NTSC-J 360 kicks the bucket, I can just get an Xbone. :)
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

trap15 wrote:The GPU access is all gated through an API though. Simulate the API, and you're there. I am pretty sure this is what Xenia does as well, and it's what all PSP emulators do. With sufficiently abstracted APIs, it's relatively trivial to simulate the hardware, just getting a good CPU emulation and cleaning up the stuff that wasn't abstracted is the main work.
Somehow I kept missing this post.

So they are matching the behavior of PC APIs to the documented and observed behavior of API calls on the game console? Were the developers of Dolphin able to use something similar? I understand the GC/Wii were somewhere between fixed-function and programmable (but mostly fixed-function). It's taken a while but Dolphin is basically done, even given the extra work needed to investigate actual GPU behavior.

On topic, it'd be hilarious if the One ends up becoming a must-have console for 360 games (and even OG Xbox titles would be nice).

It'd also be the first time Microsoft has ever cared to really get compatibility working. :mrgreen:
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

If that tweet turns out to be serious, I'll be able to sell off my JP-360 and just keep my Xbone hooked up.
Ed Oscuro wrote:On topic, it'd be hilarious if the One ends up becoming a must-have console for 360 games (and even OG Xbox titles would be nice).
If that turns out to be the case, I hope it's not too late for Kadokawa to consider a Darius Burst port for Xbone as well! :lol:
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

Astro City II wrote:https://twitter.com/cavegames/status/628042711342280705

No, that's not what that tweet says. Someone who has the Cave Shooting Collection said they wanted backwards compatibility for Xbox One (https://twitter.com/bonkuraken/status/6 ... 8910553089) and Cave's account responded acknowledging the request and will pass it on. This Twitter account became more "sociable" (as in, more talkative, not just news reports) recently, but this is not confirmation of anything.

If you don't know, ask. I don't want to have to come in here and correct a bunch of people because they think they know what they're talking about.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Elixir wrote:
Astro City II wrote:https://twitter.com/cavegames/status/628042711342280705

No, that's not what that tweet says. Someone who has the Cave Shooting Collection said they wanted backwards compatibility for Xbox One (https://twitter.com/bonkuraken/status/6 ... 8910553089) and Cave's account responded acknowledging the request and will pass it on. This Twitter account became more "sociable" (as in, more talkative, not just news reports) recently, but this is not confirmation of anything.

If you don't know, ask. I don't want to have to come in here and correct a bunch of people because they think they know what they're talking about.
Thank you Elixir. I hope Rising Star Games will let their four STG be part of the BC on X1.
Gamertag: Alfred Saxon
Arcade: ENG
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

According to the shmups Twitter, Ginga Force and Eschatos are confirmed for XB1 backwards compatibility.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
bcass

Post by bcass »

I think it'll only be a matter of time before we see all the Cave titles appear on the XBox One. Microsoft have been very vocal about how getting 360 titles running on their new console requires no effort/money on the original devs/publishers part. I very much doubt that Cave's titles were particularly demanding of the 360 hardware either, so I don't foresee any problems with the quality of the high level emulation for these particular titles.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

bcass wrote:I think it'll only be a matter of time before we see all the Cave titles appear on the XBox One. Microsoft have been very vocal about how getting 360 titles running on their new console requires no effort/money on the original devs/publishers part. I very much doubt that Cave's titles were particularly demanding of the 360 hardware either, so I don't foresee any problems with the quality of the high level emulation for these particular titles.
The day the entire 360 catalog becomes available on the Xbone, is the day I buy one granted that there are no emulation issues.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
antron

Post by antron »

List is out, 104 titles with more to come.
http://news.xbox.com/2015/11/09/introdu ... ity-games/
Some are XBLA titles, like:
R-Type Dimensions
Ikaruga
CDiablo

Post by CDiablo »

According to:

http://www.xboxachievements.com/news/ne ... 0-Too.html

X1 backwards compatibility works as region free. Now how do we vote for Japanese games?
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Triggerheart Exelica is now playable on XB1 via BC.

Gave it a quick run-through and didn't notice any lag/glitches/problems.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Cuilan wrote:Triggerheart Exelica is now playable on XB1 via BC.

Whoa, really? Well, that's awesome, more BC shmups for the X1 would be nice like Caladrius and the Raiden games. As examples, of course.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Kinda strange to see Triggerheart added to the BC list. IIRC wasn't it at risk of getting delisted some years ago?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

drunkninja24 wrote:Kinda strange to see Triggerheart added to the BC list. IIRC wasn't it at risk of getting delisted some years ago?
Well, if you meant that old thing of low sales...delisted, which is not the case.

Surprisingly though, Trouble Witches Neo! did get delisted. >.> (Although, for an albeit different reason.)

Even though Warashi has folded, its been published by Microsoft studios for the XBLA/360 version, so i guess one other reason that its still up, rather than delisted.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Cuilan wrote:Triggerheart Exelica is now playable on XB1 via BC.

Fantastic news thank you Cuilan :D
Gamertag: Alfred Saxon
Arcade: ENG