RQ: Scoring on Radio Zonde

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
BUHA

RQ: Scoring on Radio Zonde

Post by BUHA »

Okay, so does anybody know exactly how to get bonus points and high scores on Radio Zonde?

There's the "inherited" and "blood" on the bottom left of the screen, and it seems to work kinda like DoDonPachi's combo system (but not as unforgiving), but I can't tell if it has anything to do with my score!

And what determines the bonus you get after destroying a boss? Is it based on time? how much damage you do to it?

What's the deal with the "stella" and "luna" on the top right of the screen? WTF!?

I love the game and it's a lot of fun, but I just can't figure out what some of that stuff does! If anyone knows, post it here and maybe it will all become clear to us!
shiftace

Post by shiftace »

Here's what I know, but it isn't much.

On the right, Sol/Luna/Stella are roughly for offense/defense/items respectively. These three sum to your score. I'm not sure whether buzzing counts as Luna or Stella. The hourglass thing below that is probably just a timer. There's also a vertical blue bar on the left, which probably gives a stage time limit. I think everything will self destruct long before that timer runs out, though. I know X_Psy does.

There's a Clock meter at the top of the screen. It will decrease towards 100%, if nothing happens. Damaging things increases it, destroying things may increase it faster, and having low energy will also increase it. I think I read somewhere that it has some kind of thresholds at 500% and 2000%. I have no idea what it modifies. It gets divided by 2 whenever you die or finish a stage. The limit is 9999%, which I saw in a replay. Some crazy trick with Khyh in stage 8, using the charge cannon and chain bombing. Final score was over 1 billion.

Combo meter (Inherited/Blood): Destroying things, bombing, or collecting a blue powerup (popsicle?) completely refill it; maybe getting an extend does too. It drains with time, and it drains faster as the Blood count increases. Green powerups increase it, as does buzzing shots. I'd assume the combo meter affects the Sol score. I'd further assume that Blood does not directly affect score, while Inherited does.

Extends: An extend refills your energy and bomb gauges. So be sure to bomb right before you get one. The extend score meter turns blue when you get close. First extend is at 25M, second is slightly over 50M.

(edit: My previous numbers for extends were wrong, I looked carefully today. Not carefully enough to get the right ones, but carefully enough to know I had screwed up.)
Last edited by shiftace on Sat Mar 05, 2005 6:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
BUHA

Post by BUHA »

thanks for the reply. That all makes sense...

do you know what gives you the multiplier after beating a boss? sometimes i get X14, sometimes i get X20, sometimes i get X8, and i never know why. any ideas?
tonyo

Post by tonyo »

multiplier:

20-(dead*4 + pain/4)
( If under 8 )
8-(dead-3 + pain/4)

( If no dead )
24-(pain/2)