ZeroRanger (formerly FINALBOSS) - New DEMO out now!

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
BPzeBanshee

Re: FINAL BOSS - Latest version: 2014/03/09

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Eebrozgi have you looked at the current public GMOSSE code? An ini option with the code from there should be easy to integrate without surfaces or persistence hacks, only requires a bit of find->replace for view-related vars.
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

I think I did a year ago. I'll probably contact you again when I try to implement it, but it's way outside next week's focus. There's also the hurdle of shoehorning it somewhere into FB's spaghetticode engine.
If watching the trailer of the game
makes you feel a certain way
I would be very happy if
you would give the game a try

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Dave_K. wrote:I'd be more than happy with a one-off tate build if it relatively easy to do for you. :) Just call it the arcade version as it will be played in a cabinet. ;)
+1. It might even be more convenient for the end user.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

One more thing: To celebrate the release of the new update, Final Boss will be featured in the next live broadcast of STG Weekly this Sunday at 12 noon Pacific Time. Feel free to join us then at twitch.tv/STGWeekly for some commentary on the development process and Raw Label replays.

Big thanks for the STG Weekly crew for offering us such an honor!
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Late to review, but your games is really FANTASTIC.

No miss through two stages and died in puzzle sections, though need memorize more. My only critic was the ship moves slow which it's bit bad to enjoy the "dodging". If you're finally finish the game sure I'll buy it. :D
Spoiler
Also love the story, that's like the best story in shmup I've ever seen
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

The ship moves pretty fast for me. I was deceived first time though because my main computer runs it at half fps.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Ebbo

Re: FINAL BOSS - Raw Label released!

Post by Ebbo »

FINAL BOSS -Raw Label- is now available for download!

Release Trailer

Sorry it took this long. Thank you all for your continued support. Without you we couldn't have come this far. We hope you enjoy the latest release and as always, all feedback is appreciated.

You can now support us se-made.com.

Enjoy!
Last edited by Ebbo on Wed Oct 21, 2015 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Any benefits to pacifism aside from "peace out" and a harder experience in general ?
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Captain wrote:Any benefits to pacifism aside from "peace out" and a harder experience in general ?
You'll feel morally better because you didn't kill anything
Captain

Post by Captain »

Aye, sure feel good about not killing all those skull-themed enemies.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

It's about preserving the inner beauty in us all.
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

A patch for Raw Label is ready to go!
Version 2015/10/18:
- Compatible with version 2015/09/28
- Performance improvements
- True skill -> True skull
http://se-made.com/finalboss.html

Expect TATE build soon-ish.
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

I love this Game. A lot of thanks to the creators!

About TATE and resolution. I play it on my Cab with an VGA screen in TATE position. The game shows in right positon, but the screen isn´t filled whole.
There are some small black borders on the left and right side. My screen is 29" and the borders on left and right are about 28mm each.

I have the Cab screen as a second screen at my computer. Every time I play Final Boss I have windows to recognize my cab as the screen1 or primary screen and afterwards set it back.

So please could you implement this into the options at the next version of Final Boss:
- Option to manually fit the playscreen to the monitor in horzontal and vertical direction
- Option for the game to select between all the screens connected to the PC
- and maybe safe those settings to some kind of profile

What came to my mind right now are Marquee and Instruction Strips. Would be nice when you offer some print templates for this on your homepage.
I could make them for you/us. I would just need some graphically stuff. Would make some for NAOMI kind of cabs and some for Egret.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Shadolf wrote:I love this Game. A lot of thanks to the creators!

About TATE and resolution. I play it on my Cab with an VGA screen in TATE position. The game shows in right positon, but the screen isn´t filled whole.
There are some small black borders on the left and right side. My screen is 29" and the borders on left and right are about 28mm each.

I have the Cab screen as a second screen at my computer. Every time I play Final Boss I have windows to recognize my cab as the screen1 or primary screen and afterwards set it back.

So please could you implement this into the options at the next version of Final Boss:
- Option to manually fit the playscreen to the monitor in horzontal and vertical direction
- Option for the game to select between all the screens connected to the PC
- and maybe safe those settings to some kind of profile

What came to my mind right now are Marquee and Instruction Strips. Would be nice when you offer some print templates for this on your homepage.
I could make them for you/us. I would just need some graphically stuff. Would make some for NAOMI kind of cabs and some for Egret.
Can't you just select "duplicate" from the windows monitor settings to just copy the view of your main monitor to the cab?
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

Thank you for playing!
Shadolf wrote:- Option to manually fit the playscreen to the monitor in horzontal and vertical direction
You can switch between different fullscreen stretch options by pressing F7 and F8, or simply from the fullscreen switch in the options menu. I have to admit, it's a bit hidden like that, I might give it a separate switch.
Shadolf wrote:- Option for the game to select between all the screens connected to the PC
A brief skim through Game Maker 8.1 documentation seems to imply that I have no control over multiple monitors so I cannot do anything about that for the TATE build, I'm afraid. However, we will probably port FB into Game Maker: Studio when we eventually start finalizing the game, and I assume the screen control will be much more extensive there, so I will look into this again.
Shadolf wrote:- and maybe safe those settings to some kind of profile
I'll consider it for the GM:S build. A cheap way for doing this for now is to have different SETUP.fb files for each "profile". All game progress is kept in SAVE.fb.
Shadolf wrote:What came to my mind right now are Marquee and Instruction Strips. Would be nice when you offer some print templates for this on your homepage.
I'm very interested in this. Gotta discuss this with Ebbo, the artist.

Cagar wrote:Can't you just select "duplicate" from the windows monitor settings to just copy the view of your main monitor to the cab?
I assume the screens have very different proportions and resolutions, so one setting wouldn't look good on the other.
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
Shadolf

Re: FINAL BOSS -Raw Label- (Version 2015/10/18)

Post by Shadolf »

Thanks for all your answers. I will try it soon. Just blown the noise filter / power switch of my cab, when I switched on to try :cry: .
About 38€ this little bastard switch :cry: .
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

Shadolf wrote:What came to my mind right now are Marquee and Instruction Strips. Would be nice when you offer some print templates for this on your homepage.
I'm certainly intrigued by this as well. However I'm afraid I can't really offer proper artwork at the moment since all of the artwork we have currently is simple pixel art and I assume marquee and instruction strip graphics would require something along vector graphics to look good enough and for the time being I'd rather keep on working on the graphics for the final stage and whatnot. That being said I'd be more than happy to help with design work if you're still planning to work on those some day.
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

Just watched someone stream FB. A non-preloaded audio clip canceled out the music, just like that. Was that because the audio memory ran out of space? It showed no signs of doing such shenanigans with my or Ebbo's PC, although there were other problems.

Which is why, even though we will soon move to GMS, I've had enough of Game Maker 8.1's audio engine right now.

For all the GM gurus out there: What's the best extension/dll alternative for playing .WAV files, preferably from the .gm81 file's internal sound library?
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
ReiKusanagi

Post by ReiKusanagi »

I don't mind the other game references at all as I feel it's part of the game's charm, though if it were to go comercial, it would need to be toned down. It's not like it's some so-so game propped by old reference (far from it)

I already sent an e-mail about the sound issues caused by Razer Synapse's surround sound thing.
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

Ah, just read your mail and got BP's input on the audio engine changing.

According to BP, using external sound extensions to work with the game file's internal sounds isn't going to work, so for a quick fix I'll have to drop that idea. Unfortunately, this also means that Razer Synapse surround sound users will have to bear with the bug for the time being.

I also briefly checked how FB would run in GMS in its current state, and there were quite a load of obsolete functions used, mainly variable_local_exists. So that isn't going to happen too quick either. There would also be the deal of getting MIDIs to work with it.

So I'll look into patching that very glitch that occurred in the stream a bit later with GM81's means as soon as possible.
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
ReiKusanagi

Post by ReiKusanagi »

eebrozgi wrote:Ah, just read your mail and got BP's input on the audio engine changing.

According to BP, using external sound extensions to work with the game file's internal sounds isn't going to work, so for a quick fix I'll have to drop that idea. Unfortunately, this also means that Razer Synapse surround sound users will have to bear with the bug for the time being.

I also briefly checked how FB would run in GMS in its current state, and there were quite a load of obsolete functions used, mainly variable_local_exists. So that isn't going to happen too quick either. There would also be the deal of getting MIDIs to work with it.

So I'll look into patching that very glitch that occurred in the stream a bit later with GM81's means as soon as possible.
Thank you, I more or less settled on that for now; I know making an update/fix isn't a quick and easy thing for a small team like this.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

@Ebbo: Please take all the time you need for more stages, I can never get enought :D.
When (now or then) you have some artwork stuff you can give me a download link or something.
Vectorarts would be great, especially for the Marquee.
I sadly also have not much time for such things right now. But there is no reason to rush.
When I have some time, i will work a little on the instruction strip. See what I can get from screenshots and how it looks pixelated :-).
Shadolf

Re: FINAL BOSS -Raw Label- (Version 2015/10/21)

Post by Shadolf »

So, my cab is fixed an running again. Tested the F7/F8 for fitting the picture to the screen and it works. Even nicer in fullscreen.

Another question, I have noticed that there is another player ship at the Highscores. How can one select it? Or will this one come in a future release or something??
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

It's a bit hidden since the second ship is accessible through playing from another player side. You can switch it during mode select after selecting the difficulty and then moving your cursor to Player 1/Player 2 and pressing left/right. A proper ship select is on the todo-list.

By the way, I'm curious to see how this looks like in a cab. Would it be possible to see a photo?

Also by the way, the audio thing is patched now.
Version 2015/10/21:
- Audio glitches fixed in [SECRET]
As usual, compatible with previous Raw Label versions so you can just overwrite the executable.
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

Here is a photo, as good as I can get it with my camera at the moment.
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

Just watched the STG Weekly episode, this game looks amazing. :)
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Shadolf wrote:Here is a photo, as good as I can get it with my camera at the moment.
Wait, is this the tate build?

Also, looks like porting to GMS (as Tate build) can bring Final Boss formally onto arcade platform via SkyCurser's AirFrame jamma box.
eebrozgi

Post by eebrozgi »

Shadolf wrote:photo
Yesss! Thanks for showing this, really cool to see our work turn out like this.
Dave_K. wrote:Wait, is this the tate build?
Nope, just the ordinary build with screen tilting done by Windows (I think). TATE build is still on the way, I can only guess how long it will take but it's probably safe to say less than a month.
Dave_K. wrote:Also, looks like porting to GMS (as Tate build) can bring Final Boss formally onto arcade platform via SkyCurser's AirFrame jamma box.
Whaaa? What is this, what operating system, how, what? I watched the demonstration video, I'm very curious.
I would be very happy if

~Daisuke Amaya, 2015

ZeroRanger - RELEASED!
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

eebrozgi wrote:
Dave_K. wrote:Also, looks like porting to GMS (as Tate build) can bring Final Boss formally onto arcade platform via SkyCurser's AirFrame jamma box.
Whaaa? What is this, what operating system, how, what? I watched the demonstration video, I'm very curious.
Yeah, I'm curious myself, but no details have been released yet. According to the Skycurser devs bios, Phil started developing a shmup for the pi, which eventually led them to where they are today. Knowing GMS has been ported to linux, means their game might be able to run on a Pi 2, then interfacing to jamma via an Ultimarc JPAC and an external sound amp could be all that is needed. Of course I'm over simplifying things here, as there are lot of other challenges to work out (15khz video non/interlaced, custom linux distro, support for loading/patching games via USB, possibly WiFi capabilities, ...). Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing more when they are ready to announce.
Shadolf

Post by Shadolf »

I love arcade cabs with CRT screens. The problem is, these screens aren´t produced anymore.
It´s hard to get a really good trisync CRT, especially in europe.
Would be reeeaaaallly nice, when some company would produce them again as technically perfect CRT systems.
A real Final Boss arcade hardware would be stunning :-)

@Dave_K.:
Do you know some more details about the Airframe Arcade System? Is this somewhat more powerfull then a Neo Geo MVS.
A new high performance 32bit system for 2D-Games with "Tri-/Quadsync"-Output (frequency selectable) and interfaces for Jamma and JVS would be stunning!
Something like an Ultra Neo Geo with Resolutions up to 800x600 (and yes, I know NeoGeo is 24bit).