Need help, I am stuck with my game.

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Edge

Need help, I am stuck with my game.

Post by Edge »

Hi shmup-fellows,

I am working on a shmup that I make with "The Games Factory". (it's a 2D game creator programm)

Even if I still have some ideas, I am really frustrated with my game. I am working on this now for about 4 months or so... but haven't still finished half of the first level. :(

My main problem is:
I just can't get things to work, like I have them in mind. I have tried to make one weapon system and after weeks, nothing working like imagined, I just stopped working on this game. Later I came back and thought to hell with this system... I simply continued without a weapon system. But often when I want to include some features they simply won't work. The same goes for enemy attack patterns and behaviors.

But if I make the game to simple, I am afraid that it won't be worth playing... :?

I dunno if I am able to create a shmup all alone, because I am not that good in getting my ideas to work. I have several times thought that I just quit this shmup creation.

Maybe I should work together with some other people.

So if there are any projects you want to create or if you would like to have someone working with Level- / Story design, then let me know. :)
kemical

Post by kemical »

have you tried any other programs other than the games factory? possibly game maker (Gamemaker.nl) ??
I'm only asking because I used the games factory for a very long time when it came out after klik&play, it is possible to make some awesome stuff with it, but the way it works in general can feel very limiting if you want to go beyond simple stuff. (due to it's strictly event-driven approach).
you might want to give gamemaker a try, check out the forums too and tutorials.
kurisusumisu79

Post by kurisusumisu79 »

Hi,
Read your stuff.
Join us if you want to help out.
At present We have 2 Artists doing conceptual work.
Myself doing the programming using SDL (C).
Chris.
Edge

Post by Edge »

Sorry for the late reply, but I have totally forgotten about this thread.

@Kemical:
Thanks for the advice, I might check it out. But I am now trying to became a level designer for programmed games and getting more familiar with tools which are used in the gaming industry. Because ending up there is my goal. Even if I may fail, I'll at least try my best. ;)

@Kurisusumisu79:
Sounds interesting, but I am currently busy with working on another shmup project. This game is for the horizontal scroller with Boss competition at shmup dev.com. I wrote the design doc and I am now making the level and enemy designs for it, as well as I am in charge for the sound. This competition ends at March, the 20th. Then you could take a look on my work and if you are still interested I might join your project. :)