Blue Revolver

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
GSK

Blue Revolver

Post by GSK »

I'm sure a few people already know of this game from the dev forum or from browsing itch.io, but now that there's a new playable build with a lot of content, I thought it time to mention it here:

http://woofycakes.itch.io/blue-revolver-v05 <-latest build

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tq5g4kc842U <-latest trailer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY8rI7gb2ic <-Jaimers' 45M run they just tweeted out

Blue Revolver is an upcoming indie STG that borrows a lot from Cave and Raizing games (you can probably guess which ones just by playing a couple times). The systems are fairly straightforward--rapidly kill enemies with your standard shot to chain (up to x8), use your special shot to cash in on your chain multiplier at the cost of resetting your chain, use bombs to cash in on the multiplier without affecting your chain--but there are a few different weapons to play with and other secret bonuses to discover, like the break bonuses on bosses.

The art is by woof and the music is by Qygen, and the programmer/planner Danbo is a member here, so let him know what you think.

(They're having a score contest to promote the demo--break 20M before October 1 to get your name in the credits--I'm sure most people here could do that without too much practice.)
manatworks

Re: Blue Revolver

Post by manatworks »

+1 grade for using MMBK as Operator voice ahahahahha
i need to play it on my proper gaming rig using joystick , enjoying soundtrack and the scoring seems fun enough!
KAI

Post by KAI »

Nice. I always liked woof's artwork, and the game looks pretty badass.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Wow, the game's really come a long way since alpha! Really starting to shape up. I'll have to give it another go when I get a chance. Getting that Vertigo vibe from Stage 3 theme =D.
Last edited by Blackbird on Sun Sep 13, 2015 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Looks great!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

Do we have an approximate release date yet?
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

Bonus! wrote:Do we have an approximate release date yet?
December is what we're hoping for, next comiket etc.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

Crosspost from development thread! Hopefully it's not an issue, we're real keen to get feedback from a wider variety of players...

We put out a v0.51 today! Mostly just some technical features and bugfixes. Changelog :
​The game should now control far better when using analog sticks on gamepads. (Changed deadzone)
Added borderless fullscreen mode - recommended for OSX.
Added vsync option.
Added a small ammo bar at the top of the screen to assist in ammo management.
Fixed an issue where resuppliers would sometimes give an inconsistent amount of ammunition.
Fixed an issue where poor performance would make the game enter a "turbo mode" for a short period of time.
Fixed an issue where stages could be skipped by mashing buttons.
Fixed an issue where the game could crash if paused on the game over screen.
Check it out at the usual place : http://woofycakes.itch.io/blue-revolver-v05
KAI

Post by KAI »

Danbo Daxter wrote:Fixed an issue where poor performance would make the game enter a "turbo mode" for a short period of time.
Good, I've been raging like crazy because of that.
clippa

Post by clippa »

This is coming out in October according to the website :D - http://bluerevolvergame.com/
donluca

Post by donluca »

OMG a Mac client too? Is this magical christmas land?

You have my attention, good Sir.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

clippa wrote:This is coming out in October according to the website :D - http://bluerevolvergame.com/
yep!
donluca wrote:OMG a Mac client too? Is this magical christmas land?

You have my attention, good Sir.
yep!

i'll post a lot more info about the game just before our STGW episode on the 25th!
donluca

Post by donluca »

Tried out the demo and really liked it. Didn't get to the end because I'm incredibly bad at shmups, but I'm digging it so far.
Van_Artic

Post by Van_Artic »

Danbo Daxter wrote:yep!
you madman

now im looking forward to this more than DDP on steam
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

some more scattershot info on the final version:

http://bluerevolvergame.com
  • releases october, exact release date will be announced today on STG weekly! (11th october 2016!)
  • releases on steam, itch.io or direct from us through humble. the latter two will give you a steam key as well as a DRM-free ver of the game.
  • pc, mac, linux. full controller support, rebindable keyboard controls (!), tate mode, kiosk mode for events/meetups/cabinets, etc. english, japanese, french and russian languages.
  • game is built off the back of a lot of my favourite games, and goes for a cross between cave and raizing. biggest influences: ketsui, muchi muchi pork, cyvern, raiden fighters jet... god hand (?!). bullet patterns arent super dense and try to be on the faster side.
  • 5 stages. no second loop. 2 pilots. 3 shot types each. 4 special weapons each.
  • "flourish" scoring system - kill 8 enemies to build a short chain, then use the special weapon on juicy targets for up to x64 multipliers. "break" bonuses are also available for pulling off specific tricks/stunts on midbosses and bosses. lives and bombs have no scoring value unless used, so tactical suicide is encouraged!
  • bombs can be used to extend chains, correct mistakes in chaining, generate special ammo or can be used in the usual defensive manner.
  • rank system was a priority in design. rank has 5 levels - survival and scoring climbs the player slowly up the rank, death will always reduce it by at least one level - with diminishing returns the more you die on a given stage. normal mode locks to the lower levels and has autobomb, hyper mode runs the full gamut, parallel locks to the highest level, has a different extend scheme.
  • missions mode - has some fun gimmicks but is mostly there to be a training mode for people who don't play shumps. look out for things like invisible bullets, weird weapons and permanently homing bullets.
  • full original soundtrack of fucken bangers provided by qygen
  • unlockable gallery art and remix tracks
please note: this was a rather bitter decision for me to make, but achievements, online leaderboards and replay support will be added in a post-launch update (ETA a month or so after release). i'm aware this is a disappointment, but i'm not 100% confident in the replays yet (and would rather focus on the game's quality in the run up to release) - and leaderboards make no sense without replays. not having replays sucks, but it's better than having replays that might desync on you, in my opinion.

testing!
i've got about 3 more keys to give out to beta testers. if you're interested in testing the game out, you can post here or PM me or hit me on discord or something. particularly looking for people who are decently skilled (ie you've 1cced a couple of games).

any other questions, just ask.
Last edited by Danbo on Mon Sep 26, 2016 9:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

PM sent with all the details ;)
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
seraph

Post by seraph »

Danbo Daxter wrote:testing!
i've got about 3 more keys to give out to beta testers. if you're interested in testing the game out, you can post here or PM me or hit me on discord or something. particularly looking for people who are decently skilled (ie you've 1cced a couple of games).
Cream here. I have many 1ccs and high scores in several games (see my signature). I previously held category records in Kamui and Touhou: Story of Eastern Wonderland. I volunteer. :D
microfolk

Post by microfolk »

Words alone can't described how much I'm hyped for this game, I'm still sad I missed the deadline to post my 20m+ score for last year challenge.

Are there any plans for a physical release? I'm ready to spend tons of money, please let me do so.
clippa

Post by clippa »

I'd be happy to do some testing too if the keys haven't been snapped up yet :D
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

October 11th!
kane wrote: That said, could somebody please post the release date here, too? I'm not in a position to download videos, and the suspense is killing me.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

Danbo Daxter wrote:some more scattershot info on the final version:

http://bluerevolvergame.com
  • releases october, exact release date will be announced today on STG weekly!
  • releases on steam, itch.io or direct from us through humble. the latter two will give you a steam key as well as a DRM-free ver of the game.
  • pc, mac, linux. full controller support, rebindable keyboard controls (!), tate mode, kiosk mode for events/meetups/cabinets, etc. english, japanese, french and russian languages.
  • game is built off the back of a lot of my favourite games, and goes for a cross between cave and raizing. biggest influences: ketsui, muchi muchi pork, cyvern, raiden fighters jet... god hand (?!). bullet patterns arent super dense and try to be on the faster side.
  • 5 stages. no second loop. 2 pilots. 3 shot types each. 4 special weapons each.
  • "flourish" scoring system - kill 8 enemies to build a short chain, then use the special weapon on juicy targets for up to x64 multipliers. "break" bonuses are also available for pulling off specific tricks/stunts on midbosses and bosses. lives and bombs have no scoring value unless used, so tactical suicide is encouraged!
  • bombs can be used to extend chains, correct mistakes in chaining, generate special ammo or can be used in the usual defensive manner.
  • rank system was a priority in design. rank has 5 levels - survival and scoring climbs the player slowly up the rank, death will always reduce it by at least one level - with diminishing returns the more you die on a given stage. normal mode locks to the lower levels and has autobomb, hyper mode runs the full gamut, parallel locks to the highest level, has a different extend scheme.
  • missions mode - has some fun gimmicks but is mostly there to be a training mode for people who don't play shumps. look out for things like invisible bullets, weird weapons and permanently homing bullets.
  • full original soundtrack of fucken bangers provided by qygen
  • unlockable gallery art and remix tracks
please note: this was a rather bitter decision for me to make, but achievements, online leaderboards and replay support will be added in a post-launch update (ETA a month or so after release). i'm aware this is a disappointment, but i'm not 100% confident in the replays yet (and would rather focus on the game's quality in the run up to release) - and leaderboards make no sense without replays. not having replays sucks, but it's better than having replays that might desync on you, in my opinion.

testing!

any other questions, just ask.
i can help you out with the testing. I've 1CC cleared many doujins and a few cave games for the Xbox.

Lemme know.

Regards.
SuperPang wrote:Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
Remembrance

Post by Remembrance »

Put up the Steam store page soon so that we can wishlist it!

(Which I use to notify other shmup players in my friend list through the activity feed)

(Definitely buying direct so you guys get more revenue, though)
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

http://store.steampowered.com/app/439490

Steam store page up! (itch.io page etc coming soon)

i've had my hands completely full the past few days (localization is a nightmare) so i've been unable to reach out to testers. the good news is that i requested a couple more keys. keep your eyes open this weekend.

game will be $14.99, £10.99, 14.99 eur on launch. standard 10% discount applies. soundtrack may not be available on launch but it will be available on steam at some point!

on drm
the steam release will NOT have any drm on launch. however, as we add online features, the lines will be blurred, the game will probably crash if you try to run it outside of steam, etc. buying through itch.io or from our homepage (fulfilled by humble) will guarantee you both a steam key and drm-free versions of the game. also we get a bit more money. so...
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Danbo Daxter wrote:also we get a bit more money. so...
This made me laugh. :lol:

I'm looking forward to it.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Kaspal

Post by Kaspal »

Danbo Daxter wrote:http://store.steampowered.com/app/439490

Steam store page up! (itch.io page etc coming soon)

i've had my hands completely full the past few days (localization is a nightmare) so i've been unable to reach out to testers. the good news is that i requested a couple more keys. keep your eyes open this weekend.

game will be $14.99, £10.99, 14.99 eur on launch. standard 10% discount applies. soundtrack may not be available on launch but it will be available on steam at some point!

on drm
the steam release will NOT have any drm on launch. however, as we add online features, the lines will be blurred, the game will probably crash if you try to run it outside of steam, etc. buying through itch.io or from our homepage (fulfilled by humble) will guarantee you both a steam key and drm-free versions of the game. also we get a bit more money. so...
i'll keep my eyes peeled. I'd love to test this one out.
SuperPang wrote:Where DOJ rapes you, DFK grabs your boob then runs away.
Danbo

Post by Danbo »

whoops, forgot to answer this:
microfolk wrote:Are there any plans for a physical release? I'm ready to spend tons of money, please let me do so.
no current plans. if we did it, it would probably end up costing us money in the long run and would be for the benefit of hardcore fans, not ourselves. if the game's a huge runaway success then these things become more possible

sent out a few more keys today!
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

This game is looking good. Love the pixel art. Gonna keep my eyes peeled for it. Just a few more days till release!
max2016

Post by max2016 »

This looks fun. I'll probably first day buy
e_tank

Post by e_tank »

i'm so hyped for the release of this! if you need some last minute testing from an experienced linux user pls let me know, i'd be happy to help.

also, consider contacting Michael Larabel at phoronix.com about running an article announcing your game at release, he tends to be very supportive of devs who treat linux as a first class citizen. i'd be willing to bet he'd be happy to give you guys some coverage.
microfolk

Post by microfolk »

Danbo Daxter wrote:whoops, forgot to answer this:
microfolk wrote:Are there any plans for a physical release? I'm ready to spend tons of money, please let me do so.
no current plans. if we did it, it would probably end up costing us money in the long run and would be for the benefit of hardcore fans, not ourselves. if the game's a huge runaway success then these things become more possible

sent out a few more keys today!
That makes sense, thanks for answering! I'll buy a few more copies for my friends then. :D