The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Immryr

Re: The Sega Mega Drive/Genesis Thread (NEW)!!!

Post by Immryr »

Or just add a region switch and a 50/60 hz switch. It's a pretty straight forward mod.
Tarma

Post by Tarma »

Awesome, thanks fella's :D

I'll look into the mega key cart I think!
BIL

Post by BIL »

I don't recall any other early (1988-89) MD game getting quite the drubbing Alex Kidd in the Enchanted Castle did. Admittedly I was like six at the time, but it's my earliest recollection of bad press and it seems to have benefited from precious little reconsideration since.

Gave the JP version a go out of idle curiosity - as in the much later Chiki Chiki Boys, I like its decidedly un-MD primary colours. Along with the crude but cute sprites, it's all very Master System-esque... a look that I'm sure did it no favours at the time, but has matured nicely. Kept me playing longer than I might've, and left me wanting to revisit Miracle World. The jumpkick mechanic is also pretty fun, with a coolly efficient input I've never seen before (jump as normal, then release to kick). Would've liked to see that in a more dedicated ass kicker. Alex's lazy eye during his punch windup annoys the hell outta me though. Not endeared by the series' Janken obsession either.

Nothing I'm that compelled by, but that's more to do with tone and pacing. I don't really enjoy the Sonic games either.

Also

Holy cow :shock: I didn't know there was an officially-licensed MD analogue controller, let alone one dating back to 1989. Might give Dempa's port of After Burner II a second look now.
Last edited by BIL on Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Looks the tits ! :shock:
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
BIL

Post by BIL »

I know, it's so roundy and with so many buttons and levers. :o Quite an attractive bit of gear. I wonder how many other games supported it... Dempa's X68K ports were known for bespoke peripherals, so it wouldn't terribly surprise me if ABII was about all it got.

edit: apparently Musha works with it. :lol: Also 32X Afterburner II and Space Harrier. Not Virtua Racing Deluxe, sadly.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

From what I understand Forgotten Worlds pn the PC Engine can use it also.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

The "throttle" lever (seems derived from flight sticks) makes me wonder how many flight sims support it. Goes to show how mainstream this genre used to be (prior to Wolfenstein 3D anyway).
Isn't shareware back in vogue again?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

Immryr wrote:Or just add a region switch and a 50/60 hz switch. It's a pretty straight forward mod.

I've always wondered about this. If I installed these switches, I would have to switch to 50hz to play a PAL game, right? But wouldn't that display incorrectly on my NTSC television?

I've always been wary of European games because of this, so my copy of Zero Wing is Japanese instead.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

PAL Super Fantasy Zone plays at the correct speed in NTSC. I have the cart and it works fine on the US Genesis. Psycho Pinball seems to have been at least partially optimized for NTSC. Music plays at the correct speed. The game does play faster telling from emu and videos (I have the cart, but no PAL TV or PAL modded hardware to test it on), but it's at a playable speed more in line with the PC version. I haven't had color or flipping issues with either of my two PAL imports for Genesis. I heard Super Skidmarks has flipping issues on US systems (and Digital Press forum posts suggest they can't be overcome with vertical hold. The odd thing, telling from emu, is that the music seems to have been adjusted for NTSC), but I also heard Zero Wing and Micro Machines TT '96 work fine on NTSC systems.
Last edited by BrianC on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

A lot of PAL Mega Drive games will play just fine on an NTSC system. In some cases, the actual ROM data is a "World" version that's compatible with all regions, like Ghouls 'n' Ghosts and Sonic 1. In others, some parts of the game might run too fast - PAL Alisia Dragoon's intro will stop before the music can finish, for example. Then you have late-life releases like Phantasy Star IV and Thunder Force IV that have nasty region-checks at the Sega logo, and display a firm message explaining that the game wasn't designed for your Genesis/Mega Drive. Super Skidmarks, a PAL exclusive, won't even display anything if you try to run it at 60hz.

Basically, early PAL releases are usually a safe bet to play at 60hz, but the chances of region-locking/timing issues/errors gets higher with more recent games.

Oh, and PAL Zero Wing runs just fine at 60hz. :3
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Heavy Viper wrote:Super Skidmarks, a PAL exclusive, won't even display anything if you try to run it at 60hz.
I heard from a few different boards that the screen flips rather than not displaying anything, but either way, it's safe to say it doesn't work properly on NTSC. I read that it is due to using an odd resolution that is only compatible with PAL.
Last edited by BrianC on Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

Yeah, bad wording on my part. You can hear the game just fine, the music plays at the right speed and everything. Just no visuals or a flipping screen.
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

Thanks for the input and compatibility info. Sounds like it's gonna be a case by case kind of thing.

I would have preferred to get the fabulous English dialogue in Zero Wing, but I knew a Japanese copy would run just fine through a Game Genie. Good to know in case I decide to switch up.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Micro Machines Turbo Tournament '96 not only is crazy fun (as expected of Micro Machines), but its presentation is among MD's finest.

Tried to play ToeJam & Earl the other day and the burping was too much for me.
The way out is cut off

Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

Strider77 wrote:From what I understand Forgotten Worlds pn the PC Engine can use it also.
The XE1-AP analogue controller requires a "XHE-3 for PC Engine" adapter.
The compatible games are:
Outrun (HuCard)
After Burner II (HuCard)
Forgotten Worlds (Super CD)
Operation Wolf (HuCard)
Thunder Blade (HuCard)

On Mega Drive the compatible games are:
Mega Drive:
After Burner II
Ayrton Senna's Super Monaco GP II
Fastest 1
Galaxy Force II
Musha Aleste: Full Metal Fighter Ellinor
Mega CD:
After Burner III
Night Striker
Star Blade
32X:
After Burner Complete
Space Harrier
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Dempa's Space Harrier PCE port isn't one of the compatible games? I noticed that ad for the controller listed X68000, MSX, PC-8801, PC-9801, MSX, and FM-Towns. I'm guessing it's also compatible with those computers?
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Koa Zo wrote:On Mega Drive the compatible games are:
Musha Aleste: Full Metal Fighter Ellinor
ZOMG why ?
I guess the point here was to make the game even cooler than it already is by adding furious looking controller.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Maybe the throttle slider lets you adjust speed without pausing. :mrgreen: ELIMINATE DOWN coulda used it too!
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Analogue movement perhaps, US Thunder Force V way? Or the Sharp X68k Kyuukyoku Tiger way indeed.
The way out is cut off

blackoak

Post by blackoak »

just translated a really cool Streets of Rage 2 interview here, replete with concept art. Full of MD love from Ayano Koshiro too!
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

blackoak wrote:just translated a really cool Streets of Rage 2 interview here, replete with concept art. Full of MD love from Ayano Koshiro too!
I almost cried. Everything shed says is golden. :cry:

Now I know it's no accident if it's one of my absolute favourite games of all time.

I will put her image next to Yagawa's on the altar of sacred developpers.
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Awesome read, thanks blackoak.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
BIL

Post by BIL »

blackoak wrote:just translated a really cool Streets of Rage 2 interview here, replete with concept art. Full of MD love from Ayano Koshiro too!
Exemplary work, and an inspiring read. I'd never really thought of BK2 as a passion project, but god damn, that was nearly as hardcore as the Alien Soldier interview (and much more in-depth!). I want to give the Ancient stuff I've not played a look, now.
Ayano Koshiro wrote:The biggest influence on that stage progression was probably the Contra series. Each stage in Contra is like, “whoaa!!”, and gives a sense of a backstory to the game. It’s not conveyed in words, of course, but I think you get a sense of it just from the stage progression.
—I see. But the new moves aren’t as flashy as the patrol car, don’t you think?

Koshiro: Yes, but I think being able to strategize and decide how to use your special is more fun. Like in a STG game, I like having some special attack that requires thought, instead of just having a bomb that destroys everything.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

hehe, I knew you guys would like her style. I admit that I was surprised to read all that too. Perhaps she's a lurker here...

In other news, I've been in Tokyo for the last week doing major research at the national diet library. So much good stuff from these old magazines and strategy guides... Megadrive especially. Interviews with the staff for Vampire Killer, Alisia Dragoon, Treasure... I'd say more but don't want to spoil the announcement later this month. ;)
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
soprano1

Post by soprano1 »

Wow, didn't know both Koshiro siblings were awesome! Parents must be proud. :P
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

I bought Castle of Illusion on eBay. The case appears as one would expect for a North American Genesis game. The manual is stapled on the short edge. The cartridge shell is the North American style, but the label says Mega Drive (instead of Genesis) on the front.

Is this a weird misprint or a bootleg? Here is a link to the eBay listing if it can help anybody identify what I bought:
Castle of Illusion on eBay

That Ayano Koshiro interview is fantastic. I was born too late and in the wrong place to ever be on a team like that, but it sounds like the best job ever.
Last edited by MR_Soren on Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

MR_Soren wrote:Is this a weird misprint or a bootleg? Here is a link to the eBay listing if it can help anybody identify what I bought:
Probably a recomposed 'set' with what I assume to be either the European or Japanese cart, not a boot.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

Xyga wrote:
MR_Soren wrote:Is this a weird misprint or a bootleg? Here is a link to the eBay listing if it can help anybody identify what I bought:
Probably a recomposed 'set' with what I assume to be either the European or Japanese cart, not a boot.
Oh, you are right! Dumb question I guess. For some reason, I thought European games used the same shells as Japanese games.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

MR_Soren wrote:
Xyga wrote:
Oh, you are right! Dumb question I guess. For some reason, I thought European games used the same shells as Japanese games.
But you know you remember me that in my experience some sellers who have quite a stock of old games from all regions, assume that European customers will be happier with the PAL version, and then before shipping they - quite stupidly - swap the original region cart/disc with the PAL version if they have one loose to spare.
This is the kind of unnecessary zeal that causes problems. TT
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

Xyga wrote:assume that European customers will be happier with the PAL version, and then before shipping they - quite stupidly - swap the original region cart/disc with the PAL version
Yeesh! I could see asking the customer if they would prefer that, but switching without asking sounds like an unnecessary eBay/PayPal dispute waiting to happen.

Shmups on eBay tend to appear at favorable prices when I am out of PayPal cash. Truxton has been teasing me like this for months, but fate allowed me to snag Wings of Wor (aka Gynoug) at an aggressive price.

There's some crazy blast processing!. Background rotation, ridiculous sprite count, smooth controls, and outstanding sprite/boss artwork. Oh, and there's a giant cock in the instruction manual. I'm already seeing the big minus though - the stages do not have enough variety to justify their length. My first impression was very positive, but I suppose the length will become increasingly grating after the initial excitement fades. Regardless, it is a great showcase of the hardware's capabilities and the art is in a league of it's own.

Hoping to snag Truxton, Hellfire, Fire Shark, and Elemental Master before long.

Non-shmups, I thought Shinobi III was really fun, and I'm seeking Shadow Dancer which was recommended earlier. Using the dog (from watching youTube) reminds me of Conquest of the Crystal Palace for NES.

Everybody knows Streets of Rage/Bare Knuckle. I recently got all three. First impression is that 2 is the best, but I also played it the most. I suspect that 3 will grown on me. My wife says 3 is best because of the Kangaroo.

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles: Hyperstone Heist - This was low on my wish list because I played enough Turtles in Time as a child, but when I saw a complete copy for $50, I slammed the buy it now button. I can't deny it, the game is really fun. Controls are unbelievably smooth, and the action was unrelenting. Even though it seemed to max out at 4 onscreen enemies which is low next to Streets of Rage, the waves of enemies kept coming which maintained a high pace.

I bought over 50 Genesis games in the past couple months and created a Wish List of 100+ more. Most of my purchases were in the Sub-$20 price range. I feel like I need to slow down and focus on the pricier stuff while I still can. (I mean $50 - $100 stuff, things like Musha and snow bros are gonna wait until I become president or something.)