Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RGB32E

Re: Hi-Def NES - a 1080p HDMI mod kit!

Post by RGB32E »

game-tech.us wrote:Ok the first 6 Hi-Def NES modded US top loaders are up for auction on ebay, just search nes hdmi.

The opening for the HDMI connector looks too small and has the issue you described where the HDMI socket isn't flush with the back panel, so HDMI cables won't firmly fit? How can you sell modded NES systems like that?! Do you expect people to hack up HDMI cables to make them fit securely?

Looks like Kevtris needs to make a new PCB revision of the Hi Def NES to properly fit the top-loader. :evil: The cutout/rear panel picture used for all auction listings isn't exactly what I was hoping to see (looks rough).

I would be curious to see what the final assembly in an Analogue Nt looks like. Should only be a couple more weeks for that to happen?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Any idea on whether this will make Duck Hunt playable on some displays?
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

RGB32E wrote:
game-tech.us wrote:Ok the first 6 Hi-Def NES modded US top loaders are up for auction on ebay, just search nes hdmi.

The opening for the HDMI connector looks too small and has the issue you described where the HDMI socket isn't flush with the back panel, so HDMI cables won't firmly fit? How can you sell modded NES systems like that?! Do you expect people to hack up HDMI cables to make them fit securely?

Looks like Kevtris needs to make a new PCB revision of the Hi Def NES to properly fit the top-loader. :evil: The cutout/rear panel picture used for all auction listings isn't exactly what I was hoping to see (looks rough).

I would be curious to see what the final assembly in an Analogue Nt looks like. Should only be a couple more weeks for that to happen?
The recessed connector was a compromise for the NT, I don't like it either, but it wasn't my decision. Maybe if enough ppl complain to kevin he will change it. For now yeah about a 1/4" of the plastic has to be cut off the cord end to get it all the way in to the connector.
CkRtech

Post by CkRtech »

so HDMI cables won't firmly fit? How can you sell modded NES systems like that?!
Hmm. While a hobbyist that would install these kits would grumble, grab one of their tools, and cut some of the plug away so it would fit, those people that are bidding for the consoles on eBay are not going to be hobbyists and are quite possibly going to have problems cutting the HDMI cable. The by-the-way disclaimer in the auction is probably still going to cause frustration for both you and the buyer because they will still end up coming back with a complaint that the HDMI cable doesn't fit and they can't cut it.

And I know this sounds ridiculous, but it is possible that people that buy these will keep trying to jam and twist an HDMI cable in there to get it to work - perhaps even doing some damage?

I think it would be a good idea to include a modified HDMI cable with this initial batch of auctions. You could modify additional cables and list them as a separate dutch auction with a BIN, and include a link to that in future HDMI NES auctions.

On the whole - from the standpoint of you and Kevin, this concession is super minor considering what the HDMI NES does. However from a consumer's standpoint, this is most likely going to be a "WTF" situation, imo.
Skips

Post by Skips »

My biggest concern so far is that this kit is not working with the everdrive. I was actually seriously considering this kit until I found that out. I ended up selling all the retro stuff (except what I needed to test work with) when my XRGB died and was planning on re-buying an NES, Everdrive, and this kit once it was made available. I guess the Everdrive incompatibility nixes that plan for the time being, unless something changes that is.

**edit** I noticed you don't have that tidbit listed on the auctions you have on eBay. This is a pretty big oversight to not include. When I was doing modwork I would say over half the people asking me to mod an NES were using an everdrive and very few seemed to have powerpaks. This is an issue you really need to be transparent about regardless of whoever fault the incompatibility lies with.
Last edited by Skips on Mon Aug 24, 2015 6:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I am no longer taking free or paid modding projects, please do not contact me asking for my services. Thanks :).
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

My biggest concern so far is that this kit is not working with the everdrive
I didn't follow the thread, so I missed this. What's the technical reason behind this ?
Skips

Post by Skips »

Fudoh wrote:
My biggest concern so far is that this kit is not working with the everdrive
I didn't follow the thread, so I missed this. What's the technical reason behind this ?
There is a thread going on below that is talking about it.

http://krikzz.com/forum/index.php?topic=3211.0
I am no longer taking free or paid modding projects, please do not contact me asking for my services. Thanks :).
RGB0b

Post by RGB0b »

Kevtris explains it here under "Another note":
http://forums.nesdev.com/viewtopic.php? ... 05#p150882
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

I'm very confused..

This is directly on Jason's site.

I suppose my confusion is; How could it have been tested back then and now presently not working? And according to what I've read recently, the Everdrive will never be working unless changes are made on Krikkz' end??

Link: http://www.game-tech.us/pmwiki/pmwiki.p ... riginalNES

I certainly hope that's being thoroughly disclosed.. Because it certainly isn't on the web-site.
Skips

Post by Skips »

Voultar wrote:I'm very confused..

I suppose my confusion is; How could it have been tested back then and now presently not working? And according to what I've read recently, the Everdrive will never be working unless changes are made on Krikkz' end??

I certainly hope that's being thoroughly disclosed.. Because it certainly isn't on the web-site.
Well that just says it was tested, it doesn't mean it actually passed said test.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

Skips wrote:
Voultar wrote:I'm very confused..

Well that just says it was tested, it doesn't mean it actually passed said test.

I understand that. But that's an awfully vague way of phrasing something that doesn't work, if it doesn't.

If the information read: "Device was tested with known problem carts; The PowerPak and Everdrive. The Powerpak works, the Everdrive doesn't." that wouldn't allude people to believe otherwise.

What would be the point of even mentioning that it's been tested with "problem carts" if you're not going to differentiate between what's working and what isn't, in the 1st place?
yxkalle

Post by yxkalle »

The website where the kits and consoles will be sold isn't made yet.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

yxkalle wrote:The website where the kits and consoles will be sold isn't made yet.
I'm pretty sure that this is a venture between Kevtris and Jason (GameTech).

Jason can chime in on all of this and clear it up.
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

Yeah I def need to say the ED doesn't work on the auctions. I only found out a few days ago that it was for sure no go and my website just hasn't been changed yet, in fact all that info needs updated....
The cord thing was also out of my control, but if enough ppl complain to Kevin maybe he will change it back to being flush.
yxkalle

Post by yxkalle »

RGB32E wrote:The opening for the HDMI connector looks too small and has the issue you described where the HDMI socket isn't flush with the back panel, so HDMI cables won't firmly fit? How can you sell modded NES systems like that?! Do you expect people to hack up HDMI cables to make them fit securely?
If you do the modding yourself, you could mount the Hi-Def NES board somewhere else inside the case, buy a short HDMI extension cable and get a new 3D-printed back panel with the right-sized hole.
Voultar wrote: I'm pretty sure that this is a venture between Kevtris and Jason (GameTech).
Yeah, I know that. I'm just referring to what was said in one of Jason's full-length Youtube movies.
https://youtu.be/ocpjW9tnb7w#t=1h19m58s
Josh95MX

Post by Josh95MX »

Oh man... No ED support. I don't know how I missed that one, I have been following this pretty closely. This could be a deal breaker. I love my carts, but the save-ability with the ED is super nice.

Is this something that could be resolved later on with a patch?

The HDMI port is not an issues I don't think. I have run into similar issues with other cables. Its nothing a box cutter cannot solve.
leonk

Post by leonk »

Hi Jason. I actually watched all 3 hours you recently posted.

When I saw your install and what you had to do to that HDMI cable I told myself WTF!?!? I believe for most of my customers this would be a deal breaker. Modding HDMI cables is not acceptable. I understand that the design was modified to fit the NT but that just makes Kevin look like he sold out.

Based on your install, the great features, and the name behind the product I think this had the potential to sell even better than nesrgb. But all it takes is a few bad reviews to go viral to kill this device. I truly believe the recessed HDMI port is a MAJOR design flaw.

I will be waiting till this is fixed and telling my customers to chose nesrgb in its place (with xrgb mini). Please convey my sentiments to Kevin.
Voultar

Post by Voultar »

I feel sorry for the 6 people who've pre-ordered the Analogue NT when they realize that their $600 aluminum paperweight breaks compatibility with one of the most popular flash-carts available when using HDMI.

A little sarcasm there. :D
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

leonk wrote:But all it takes is a few bad reviews to go viral to kill this device.
yeah, they'll end up buying one of the competing HDMI boards for NES.... oh wait...
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

I had a couple issues on the first av fami install, but I think we got it figured out!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ulcF7qGzLAo
Jeppen

Post by Jeppen »

Hey guys

Where can i order this kit?

Sorry if its been asked before!
Cheers
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Jeppen wrote:Hey guys

Where can i order this kit?

Sorry if its been asked before!
Cheers
The thread is 5 pages long, don't be lazy.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

shame about the everdrive and hdmi issues....i defo wont be getting a kit until these issues are sorted if ever!

Thats said i hope Kev goes on to develop kits for the Megadrive, PCE and SNES
Last edited by lettuce on Tue Aug 25, 2015 6:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

yxkalle wrote:If you do the modding yourself, you could mount the Hi-Def NES board somewhere else inside the case, buy a short HDMI extension cable and get a new 3D-printed back panel with the right-sized hole.
Umm... Unless you had some particular layout, I don't see a good placement alternative where there would be enough space for a full sized HDMI plug with cable/jacket to connect and wire to output. :lol:
lettuce wrote:shame about the everdrive and hdmi issues....i defo wont be getting a kit until these issues are sorted if ever!
People and their flash carts! IIRC, there was at least one video Jason posted where he was battling a NESRGB install in a top loader with a flash cart. Was that an ED as well? :mrgreen:
lettuce wrote:Thats said i hope Kev goes on to develop kits for the Megadrive, PCE and SNES
Kevtris mentioned that a 2600 version wouldn't be too difficult for him to make. All that would be needed would be a different interposer and FPGA code from the sounds of it.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

RGB32E wrote:People and their flash carts! IIRC, there was at least one video Jason posted where he was battling a NESRGB install in a top loader with a flash cart. Was that an ED as well? :mrgreen:

Dunno, ive modded about 6 NESRGB system and never had issues with the ED cart
game-tech.us

Post by game-tech.us »

RGB32E wrote: People and their flash carts! IIRC, there was at least one video Jason posted where he was battling a NESRGB install in a top loader with a flash cart. Was that an ED as well?
Yeah the original composite circuit was messing with EDN8, solution was to remove the transistor from the circuit.
FBX

Post by FBX »

lettuce wrote:
RGB32E wrote:People and their flash carts! IIRC, there was at least one video Jason posted where he was battling a NESRGB install in a top loader with a flash cart. Was that an ED as well? :mrgreen:

Dunno, ive modded about 6 NESRGB system and never had issues with the ED cart

The ED N8 also has worked superbly with my NESRGB-modded front-loader, although when I want to make use of the expansion audio mod, I have to use the side RCA audio port.
yxkalle

Post by yxkalle »

RGB32E wrote:
yxkalle wrote:If you do the modding yourself, you could mount the Hi-Def NES board somewhere else inside the case, buy a short HDMI extension cable and get a new 3D-printed back panel with the right-sized hole.
Umm... Unless you had some particular layout, I don't see a good placement alternative where there would be enough space for a full sized HDMI plug with cable/jacket to connect and wire to output. :lol:
Not with that attitude... :mrgreen: I've been trying to find something like this, but with an angled female connector in the other end. That would be the optimal solution for people who are particular about their holes.
RGB32E

Post by RGB32E »

yxkalle wrote:Not with that attitude... :mrgreen: I've been trying to find something like this, but with an angled female connector in the other end. That would be the optimal solution for people who are particular about their holes.
:roll: If you come up with a clever alternate installation for a top loader, take pictures and share! Otherwise a different PCB design will be needed. I'd imagine Kevin may make such a revision down the road for future production runs.
Josh95MX

Post by Josh95MX »

Don't get me wrong, I still want the hdmi board, as I have plenty of carts. Just not being able to use the ED is a big let down.

To me the cable issue does not outweigh the mod. Still very worth it. Though I do plan on doing it myself in my front loader and using an extension to route the hdmi port to a desired location.