Super Turrican sound glitch

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
kamiboy

Super Turrican sound glitch

Post by kamiboy »

I recently landed a copy of Super Turrican and decided to play it. Everything went fine until somewhere around the area where meteors start coming down the only sound coming from the game was a weird loop.

This loop continued unchanged for about 10 minutes, then changed into another loop, then complete silence. This sound loop error happens every time I play but starts at different places randomly. Usually either a bit before the meteor area or a bit after, like in the factory level.

When the sound loop error starts that is the only thing wrong, the game plays perfectly. But after a while, when the loop has changed if you try to continue the game freezes.

Doing a quick search revealed that this phenomenon is not an isolated incident. I've seen some other old forum posts referring to this as well as this youtube video which has the same thing happening, and it is happening in close proximity to where it is usually triggered on my cart.

I should mention that my SNES is new and the Turrican cart contacts have been thoroughly cleaned using ethyl alcohol, so lets rule out the mundane. I opened up the cart and visually it looks fine. There are two capacitors on the board though, so maybe those could be at fault? Either that or it might have something to do with this particular game acting up with certain SNES revisions. I know I have a pretty rare late SNES mother board revision.

Anyone run into anything similar?
RaidenViper

Re: Super Turrican sound glitch

Post by RaidenViper »

Have the same problem with my Super Famicom copy.

The problem occurs randomly through the game. Sometimes the first stage, sometimes the later stages...
And the only way to make it go away, is to hit reset.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I'd say it definitely sounds like a bug with the game itself and not some hardware problem with the contacts on your copy or anything. Would definitely be a bug if you could get it to occur in an emulator as well.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Since it is just the sound that goes loony I have a suspicion that it is related to the SNES revision. More specifically what sound chip your particular SNES revision is housing.

Since it does not seem to be an isolated incident and there is no way the game would have shipped with such a game breaking bug appearing on all consoles I think this is the most likely cause.

The game came out in 1993, so playing it on certain revisions appearing after that could be the cause.

There is a site that lists all the SNES mother board revisions, but you would have to open that rascal up to pinpoint it. I did that with mine about a year or so back and discovered that I do have pretty rare one. If someone else experiencing the problem is running the game on the exact same revision then that might be it.

The Factor 5 lads were pretty crafty coders, so perhaps they were doing some unwholesome tricks on the SNES sound chip that were likely to cause problems if the hardware in question did not behave in the exact same way.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

RaidenViper wrote:Have the same problem with my Super Famicom copy.

The problem occurs randomly through the game. Sometimes the first stage, sometimes the later stages...
Could I get you to check your SNES board revision using the simple method from this site?

http://www.reteam.org/board/showthread.php?t=2534

Just check whether the words "EJECT" are printed or molded on the eject button. If it is molded then you have a later revision. There are several late revision which require opening the console to further pin down, but the eject button is a good way to test whether my later revision theory is fallacious or not.
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

kamiboy wrote:

Could I get you to check your SNES board revision using the simple method from this site?

Just check whether the words "EJECT" are printed or molded on the eject button. If it is molded then you have a later revision. There are several late revision which require opening the console to further pin down, but the eject button is a good way to test whether my later revision theory is fallacious or not.
It is not molded. Which makes it not a later revision? That's good to know :P

I think you gave me the wrong link.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

hmm, havent noticed this on my US-NTSC version of the game (on US-NTSC Console)
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

kamiboy wrote:There is a site that lists all the SNES mother board revisions, but you would have to open that rascal up to pinpoint it.
I thought that there was a specific game that lets you find the SNES revision from the software (a hidden keypress feature). Opening up the SNES would be quicker than buying the game, though.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

RaidenViper wrote:
kamiboy wrote:

It is not molded. Which makes it not a later revision? That's good to know :P

I think you gave me the wrong link.
Well, that rules out my SNES revision theory.

It must be something wrong with thevgames themselves then. I wonder if there was a bad batch of the that game that were broken from the outset or what
cyborc

Post by cyborc »

sorry to bump such an old thread but this happened to me just now too. however, I was using an sd2snes and not the actual cart. I was playing it it on an snes mini. I think I believe that theory about the board revision!
nZero

Post by nZero »

I wouldn't be surprised. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest locks up in any area that plays the waterfall music on my launch SNES but works fine on my mini SNES.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

That is very interesting. But I still find it hard to believe such a thing could have gone unnoticed for so long.

Wish I had another SNES handy to test the cart some more.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Wasn't there an issue with Super Smash Bros. Brawl only playing on certain revision Wiis (I think I remember it being older Wiis in that case)? It's probable there's a number of games out there with glitches involving console revisions that simply aren't well documented.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

This glitch is pretty serious tough. The game freezes after a certain point early on making it impossible to complete.

I wonder if Nintendo was ever made aware of this and perhaps issued a bug fixed version of the game. Although I cannot find any different versioned copies of the ROM, so that must mean no.

The game is rather obscure, but still hard to believe this game breaking glitch has gone largely unnoticed for so long.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I don't think it sounds unlikely... anyway there's different versions of the rom: different region versions. And maybe the Wii VC version is different?

The US version has this bug on my SNES (probably a 1chip).
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Well, I am certainly not getting another SNES revision just so I can play that one game. Especially since I already have the revision with the best video quality.

There is always Mega Turrican I guess.
Slut-Hunter

Post by Slut-Hunter »

Hi

I got the same Problem. (PAL Version)

Then i tried different Settings.

Stereo: On
Autofire: Off
Difficulty: Medium

Then i just shoot when there was Enemys, and avoided the Phazer (the Blue Shot)

Result = No Sound Glitch ! I completted the whole Game !

After that i did the same, but with Hard Difficulty, then i got Sound Glitch @ Level 4:3
i beat that last Boss (why a huge fucking Alien ? Why not "The Machine" ? like in Turrican 1 & 2 and like in the Intro ?????? )
then the Game Crashed, but i dont give a Fuck, the Ending & the Last Boss is the Same as on Medium.

So i beat the Game on Hard.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

you go, girl!
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Now that I have a Super Famicom I should give that cart another go to see whether the bug persists.
Jibbajaba

Post by Jibbajaba »

Sorry to bump up this old topic, but this was the first hit when Googling the phrase "Super Turrican sound glitch", so I wanted to add my personal experience and opinion for others who stumble onto this thread in the same manner.

I have experienced the same problem (both with an Everdrive and a physical cart), and I also suspect that it is a board revision issue. Specifically, I suspect that it is an issue with SNES revisions that merged the CPU and both PPUs (the "1chip" revisions.) This would include both the final revision (three slightly different motherboards, though) of the original form-factor console (all released in 1995), and the "mini" SNES. Someone earlier mentioned the word "EJECT" being either printed or molded into the cartridge eject lever. It was printed on the first revision SNES only, and molded on all subsequent releases. So it can not be used to determine whether or not you have a 1chip system.

I have tested the game on 2 SNES minis, and the game glitches on both. I am currently playing the game on a non-1chip, non launch (so either revision 2 or 3) SNES and the glitch is not happening at all. Finally, I tried what was suggested earlier (turning off auto-fire) and while it did take longer for the glitch to occur, it happened eventually. Somehow I think it is related to sound, because it always occurred while I was holding down the "fire" button. It happened to me at various places in the game, though, and sometimes I was able to make it much farther than others.

For anyone else who finds this thread, please try to post as much information as you can about your SNES. Specifically, I would like to know if anyone who knows for sure that they do not have a 1chip SNES (and the only way to know for sure is to open it and look at the mobo unless the "Eject" lever is printed with white letters) has experienced the glitch, as it would disprove my theory.

Thanks!

Chris
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Hey, how's it going? I've got a UN29-ish serial number as well as minis - I'll see if I have this game (I know I have the sequel) to check it out.
kamiboy

Post by kamiboy »

Well, my NTSC/U SNES that the game would crash on is a 1CHIP. I have had a look at the motherboard. I have since purchased a Super Famicom with a pre-1CHIP revision motherboard. If I can be arsed to dig out the game I'll give it a shot on that.
nosorrow

Post by nosorrow »

Cart looks new and the sound glitch happens on my US SNES mini. I played on easy (shameful, I know) with autofire and stereo sound on. That's a shame because I'm not replacing my SNES mini just for this game.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

SNES mini are ugly though.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

I have a 1CHIP and get this glitch. Probably just going to emulate this if I want to play it.
FBX

Post by FBX »

It's very likely a 1CHIP glitch. The mini uses a similar configuration to the 1CHIP-03 I believe.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I have the Super Fami version... I haven't given much play yet though. I'll try it out on my Super Famicom and see what happens.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
nosorrow

Post by nosorrow »

Strider77 wrote:SNES mini are ugly though.
Have you seen the original SNES model though? It's arguably the worst looking mainstream console of all time.
Xan

Post by Xan »

Definitely the NTSC one and not the PAL version or SFC though...
nosorrow

Post by nosorrow »

Of course. Pal and Jap SNES/Super Famicom is the best looking console out there as far as I'm concerned. After all these years, NOA's design decision with the SNES is still puzzling.