Under Defeat HD

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
NeoStrayCat

Re: Under Defeat HD

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Also, the game is on sale on the US PSN Store this week (as of post) for the low, low price of...$3, lol. ($2.69 for PS+ members), now's a good time to pick it up! XD

http://bit.ly/1rLpnpU
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
bcass

Post by bcass »

The Under Defeat HD+ add-on from the JPN PSN store doesn't work with the US game does it?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

bcass wrote:The Under Defeat HD+ add-on from the JPN PSN store doesn't work with the US game does it?
Probably not, since PSN DLC is region coded, though there are exceptions for certain games, but probably not this one.

Also, since the game has a separate trophy list for both regions. (Under Defeat HD - JP ver.) (Under Defeat HD : Deluxe Edition - NA/EU)
I probably don't think so. >_>
CMoon

Post by CMoon »

Yeah, I'm not incredibly worried about the patch. I used to own the DC version before I moved to CA and half my games were stolen by movers. Under Defeat was hard to pass by though at $10, and although arcade isn't idea without tating it, it is still certainly playable. I think New Order might be even harder because of the faster bullets and perspective, but I don't really feel like flipping my monitor at this point, and it makes for a fairly different experience. At $10 I have nothing but glowing praise for it and its good to come back to the game.
Randorama wrote:ban CMoon for being a closet Jerry Falwell cockmonster/Ann Coulter fan, Nijska a bronie (ack! The horror!), and Ed Oscuro being unable to post 100-word arguments without writing 3-pages posts.
Eugenics: you know it's right!
SHMUP sale page.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

New Order is easier imo, there's a bit more space to dodge stuff in.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
japtor

Post by japtor »

HydrogLox wrote:With VGA/ViewSonic PF 790 monitor in "Arcade Mode" with "Rotate Right" the game screen seems to occupy all of the screen real-estate in 640x480/1024x768/1280x1024 (if there are any borders, they must be extremely thin). As for minor differences realize that I'm a "New Order" guy though.
Thanks, should be playable on my cab then (using viletim's adapter here), assuming there's a rotate left option too.
genetik

Post by genetik »

At $3 on PSN, it's a crazy good price. If I didn't own the digital version (even if I own every other god damn retail versions), I would totally buy it. It's such a good value, anyone with a PS3 should get it at that price.
"When a madman appears thoroughly sane, indeed, it is high time to put him in a strait-jacket."
Edgar A. Poe
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

japtor wrote: assuming there's a rotate left option too.
Just checked, there is.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

If anyone is also wondering, this is also on sale as part of RSG's 10th Aniv. Sale in the PSN PAL regions. But not much less than the US sale price. Just a little higher.
SuperGrafx

Post by SuperGrafx »

Under Defeat Deluxe Edition - X360 is now available for download in the US Marketplace
Price = $19.99

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 02545a07d4
gs68

Post by gs68 »

That was posted earlier.

Useless but fun tidbit: The message that shows up if you mash the fire button instead of holding it down is still in Japanese in the NA 360 version. ;)
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Wait, the PSN price is permanently $3 now? Too bad I don't have a PS3...
mamboFoxtrot

Post by mamboFoxtrot »

For that price I just can't say no.

I swear to God, though, that freeze before you die... its like the game is saying "I want you to look at this bullet that is inside you. Gaze upon it, and reflect deeply on all the failures in your life up to this moment".
gs68

Post by gs68 »

...coupled with a remaining bomb stock of 3 or more, which, sadly, has been the case for me more than I'd like.

"Hey look, you see these bombs? Yeah, well, you wasted them, you had your chances and you blew them, I'm throwing these bombs in the trash right now."
Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton »

I want to play this on a japanese 360. I live in the US. I can access the store page for it, but don't know if I'll be able to play it or download it. I downloaded Deathsmiles II, but the game won't start because the xbox is the wrong region. Should I just do it?

Well, here's the answer: It wouldn't let me download it onto my japanese xbox. I *could* download it with my US 360, but then I wouldnt be able to play it on my japanese 360 (that is hooked up to my blast city).

I even added $5 to my account because microsoft doesn't allow partial payments when there is only a small difference (I had $18.50 in my account, and the game costs $20). Something to do with taxes. I even called up microsoft. They suggested I buy a $5 card and pay for the whole game with my account. Oh well.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Jack Burton wrote:I downloaded Deathsmiles II, but the game won't start because the xbox is the wrong region.
Well, here's the answer: It wouldn't let me download it onto my japanese xbox.
You could download it if you download it to your US console first - BUT you would still end up with the same result as in the DeathSmiles IIX case - "wrong region code" (I tried it).
It tried to tie the "Under Defeat HD Deluxe" download to the J360 console as the main console and immediately detected the region code issue and prevented the download entirely. In the "DeathSmiles IIX" case you probably downloaded it to the US console first (making it the "main console" for the download) - so the check was skipped on the second download to the J360 which then only detected the problem when the download tried to run.
Jack Burton

Post by Jack Burton »

HydrogLox wrote:
Jack Burton wrote:I downloaded Deathsmiles II, but the game won't start because the xbox is the wrong region.
Well, here's the answer: It wouldn't let me download it onto my japanese xbox.
You could download it if you download it to your US console first - BUT you would still end up with the same result as in the DeathSmiles IIX case - "wrong region code" (I tried it).
It tried to tie the "Under Defeat HD Deluxe" download to the J360 console as the main console and immediately detected the region code issue and prevented the download entirely. In the "DeathSmiles IIX" case you probably downloaded it to the US console first (making it the "main console" for the download) - so the check was skipped on the second download to the J360 which then only detected the problem when the download tried to run.
Yep. Been there, done that. I guess I have to buy the disc version. Not necessarily a bad thing, but I already have it on dreamcast.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

New Order mode plays surprisingly well. (This coming from someone who only had one experience with the NAOMI version and none with the DC version before getting the GoD version.)

Like I expected the 16:9 ratio to be unbearable to play ("this is a shmup, not a pinball machine, don't tilt the screen") but it's actually not so bad on the eyes in practice and I split time between it and Arcade mode. Yousuke Yasui doing the soundtrack makes it ten times better. (Though Shinji Hosoe's soundtrack is also quite good.)
seattlexc

Post by seattlexc »

SuperGrafx wrote:Under Defeat Deluxe Edition - X360 is now available for download in the US Marketplace
Price = $19.99

http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 02545a07d4

I'm having trouble finding this game on the xbox marketplace. I originally tried searching for it on 360 but couldn't find it. No luck finding it on the marketplace website either. Anyone know what's going on? Looks like the PS3 verison is still available though
RIP Seattle SuperSonics - 1967–2008
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

The same thing seems to have happened to

UK Marketplace (Rising Star Games Europe)
JPN Marketplace (G.Rev)

Digital Copy Only sales tactic? Buy downloadable content as soon as it releases and don't wait for sales as you have no idea when it will drop off the service. Isn't download only content grand!

In the best scenario G.rev has simply gotten fed up with Microsoft.
When asked about Strania and if digital distribution is still the future or if physical products still have relevance today Maruyama-san said “To put it simply, it didn’t sell as well as we hoped. Of course, we are still interested in developing smaller download only titles, however under the current payment system established by the publishers it is very difficult to break even on DLC titles. I can’t go into specifics, but all I can say is with the Yen this high it is very difficult situation for developers.”
Oh look at that - Strania is gone too ...

Edit: Might not be anything - all services are experiencing "Purchase and Content Usage Limited" right now.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live-status
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yep, its just XBL having problems...again...>_>

Nothing has been delisted or anything, just XBL being XBL again.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

seattlexc wrote:http://marketplace.xbox.com/en-US/Produ ... 02545a07d4

I'm having trouble finding this game on the xbox marketplace.
For the time being it's back as Xbox Live Status: Xbox 360 Purchase and Content Usage is up and running.

So if you want it - snatch it; who knows, the next time it might be gone for good.
kassj0peja

Post by kassj0peja »

I just wanted to buy Under Defeat HD for my PAL Xbox 360 and now I read that the japanese version of the game offers the +patch.

Is it possible to download the japanese version and the patch on a PAL console? I have never changed the region so far (but wanted to do this because Halo Reach only offers german language and Strania uses the japanese letters in the austrian store.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

kassj0peja wrote:I just wanted to buy Under Defeat HD for my PAL Xbox 360 and now I read that the japanese version of the game offers the +patch.

Is it possible to download the japanese version and the patch on a PAL console? I have never changed the region so far (but wanted to do this because Halo Reach only offers german language and Strania uses the japanese letters in the austrian store.
Probably not, as it wont work and either region's versions are both region locked to their respective consoles (both the US/EU and the JP versions).

Besides, even if you tried, it would only work on the JP version. Since patches/updates differ between versions.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

What does the "+" patch do? I can already play the PS3 PAL Deluxe Edition as a twin stick shooter (switching between three aim directions using the right stick regardless of movement). Can't remember if it downloaded any patch.
I'm not feeling it, by the way. As much as I prefer twin stick controls in car games, digital controls mapped onto analogue stick don't do it for me (except maybe for A Shadow's Tale and its ilk, where I don't miss a D-pad).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:What does the "+" patch do? I can already play the PS3 PAL Deluxe Edition as a twin stick shooter (switching between three aim directions using the right stick regardless of movement). Can't remember if it downloaded any patch.
I'm not feeling it, by the way. As much as I prefer twin stick controls in car games, digital controls mapped onto analogue stick don't do it for me (except maybe for A Shadow's Tale and its ilk, where I don't miss a D-pad).
It adds Under Defeat HD+ as a playable mode (based off the NESICA Live revision of UD HD). The major change is the addition of a rank(ish) meter at the top of the screen. Once it maxes out, the stage scrolling crawls to a halt and a slew of additional item carriers and enemies are spawned. Once destroyed, the meter bottoms out and the stage resumes normal scrolling. Since some of the bonus item carriers drop bombs, it becomes a very bomb-centric mode.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Kiken wrote:It adds Under Defeat HD+ as a playable mode (based off the NESICA Live revision of UD HD). The major change is the addition of a rank(ish) meter at the top of the screen. Once it maxes out, the stage scrolling crawls to a halt and a slew of additional item carriers and enemies are spawned. Once destroyed, the meter bottoms out and the stage resumes normal scrolling. Since some of the bonus item carriers drop bombs, it becomes a very bomb-centric mode.
Thank's for the explanation.

I must praise New Order for not screwing about: the bullets appear fast enough (something, vertizontal-wise, Souky and Guardian Force did for me, but Zero Gunner 2 didn't).

Less welcome is the screen wobble in Arcade, looking even worse to me than in the classic Raiden - here, not just bullets follow the horizontal scrolling, but so does the ubiquitous somke. I can't see any excuse for this being the case with vector graphics and it's as bad here as the obligatory upscaling & bilinear filtering in most PS2-gen retro collections.

Whatever purpose a bit of slowdown/pause here and there is supposed to serve, they could also keep it as far as I'm concerned. When slowdown has nothing to do with "pushing the hardware", I simply don't like it (well, I'm leaving the likes of Max Pane, Secret Weapons Over Normandy and Viewtiful Joe out of it as they all did a thing on their own rather than tried to fossilise any "genre").
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

Blinge

Post by Blinge »

That's a damn shame about the +patch not in the Rising Star version. Ah well..

Is 'extra' mode just the second loop? I had a go today and I don't remember the regular second loop being quite as brutal. Namely, the fast suicide bullet spreads out of some large enemies.

I do love the little visual differences for 2nd loop; the fact that it takes place in different seasons too, or the grass starting to grow back on the battlefield of stage 3.
Last edited by Blinge on Tue Aug 18, 2015 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

The suicide bullets off the larger enemies are present in the original 2nd loop, but if there is a 2nd loop I haven't played yet I want in.
My lord, I have come for you.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

Under Defeat Ultimate Edition is on Sale for $9.99 if you Have Xbox Live Gold.

https://marketplace.xbox.com/en-us/Prod ... 02545a07d4
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain