NG:DEV.TEAM announce Kraut Buster

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
RHE

Re: NG:DEV.TEAM announce Kraut Buster

Post by RHE »

A new trailer came out today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9OEt-3CMXI
dink

Post by dink »

Looks like ng redeemed themselves with this new version. music is cool.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Wow it actually looks not-awful now.

Still some stuff looks like it could be polished up (which probably never will be, but I can hope), but I wouldn't refuse to play this I think. Don't think I could ever justify buying it at the given price point though :roll:
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

The bullets, they do nossing. Salut for trying to give the appearance of playing carefully though.

Price point is going to be the killer once again. Still they have done a good enough job justifying the "extremely early" argument that I'll refrain from wondering too hard what the point is - I'd wish even their early materials would show more level design sophistication, but it's their time and money if they want to make lots of trailers.
RHE

Post by RHE »

trap15 wrote:Still some stuff looks like it could be polished up (which probably never will be, but I can hope)
Would you care to elaborate?
system11

Post by system11 »

I wish the old trailer was still up so I could compare the music. Going to start ripping the yt videos.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Austin

Post by Austin »

I have to say, I'm not terribly impressed. I do like how you can shoot diagonally though.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

system11 wrote:I wish the old trailer was still up so I could compare the music. Going to start ripping the yt videos.
It's the first hit on youtube if you search for "kraut buster"
system11

Post by system11 »

spmbx wrote:
system11 wrote:I wish the old trailer was still up so I could compare the music. Going to start ripping the yt videos.
It's the first hit on youtube if you search for "kraut buster"
Oh thanks, I'd only checked the official channel! Hm - will reserve judgement, I like aspects of both. New composer possible fan of Tim Follin?
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
qmish

Post by qmish »

Looks like they really try do better
This video shows an early development version.
Due to a change to a different musician team all music is extremely early.
We are going this time with a FM/chip tune sounding soundtrack.
The music is done by the team Groovemaster303 and Jredd.
Game play:
As we got mixed reactions for the last video trailer we worked very hard to improve on all fronts.
Differences to MS games:
As some people think this is a blatant MS clone,here are some differences listed:
- Mask feature. Wear different masks to change your characters abilities, your weapons, change your surroundings and enemy behaviors.
Examples:
- Chicken mask: become John Chickenstein and rescued chicks will join forces with their Gatling guns. You can also float slightly down with your feather power and drop big egg grenades.
- 13th Splatterguy mask: turn the fight into a blood carnage with your super charged long range machete. Rage flows early through your body. Knife throwing chick sidekicks.
- Wolf mask: supercharge your weapon power and make the grunts your little pigs. Rage flows early through your body. May have reduced scoring potential, but is easier to play.
- Pig mask: sniffle out secrets like a truffle pig and don't get eaten by the big bad wolves. Your tasty bacon body withstands a few bullet hits. Reduces difficulty in a passive way.
- Japanese "Tengu" demon mask: Jump as high and fast like a Ninja, use a Katana for close range attack and lay fused bombs (use them tactical). Also 3-way shuriken throwing ninja chicks.
Currently we have 5 mask implemented, but we plan to add 4-6 more, like "Vampire Hunter" mask (chain whip in the dictator's castle?), "Gunlord" mask (maybe with his wheel bombs?), "Uncle Sam", "McKraken Nerd mask", "Chainsaw killer mask". The possibilities are endless.
- Rescued chicks can act as sidekicks (depends on the mask). For example they shoot a Gatling gun, throw shurikens and knives. The amount of chicks attached change also their behavior.
- Contra style controls and game play elements such as:
8 way aiming
Aim lock (lock the weapon in a direction to better shoot enemies from above)
You can hold 2 weapons and switch between them anytime. If you die, you only loose the active one. (adds a nice tactical component)
With holding the lever in direction you can throw grenades further away
You can drop down from ledges/objects and outmaneuver enemies from above.
Faster pacing
Weapons like 3-way, scatter particle shotgun, arch grenades and others
Lot's of mini bosses (a little bit boss fest style here and there)
Spawning run-in enemies in some run'n'gun sequences.
1 mid boss per stage
2-3 scenario changes per stage
Different characters may have slightly different abilities (like speed/jump height)

- 2 players can co-op/interact with each other, like standing on the shoulders of each other to reach higher places. The score counter is shared for maximum co-op feels.

- Mission bosses are mostly based on German WW2 "Wonder Weapons". Like "Der Mörser „Karl“ (Gerät 040/041)", The "Bismarck", "Schweres 80-cm-Kanone (E) „Sondergeschütz“ Dora". We also added a few fantasy bosses like WW2 style mechas
- Mid bosses and mini bosses are more fantasy based like War-hot-air balloon, WW2 style mechas "Schneeläufer Ausf. B", "Über Soldiers", "Russian War Bears".
- Stages are up to 9000 pixel long pixel art drawings (no tiles, just like a huge fighting game background)
It's probably one of the most ambition pixel arts games made in a long time. No other company out there besides us is doing real 16 pixel art arcade games anymore and especially not in this scope.
- choose up to 3 different routes/difficulties with changes in length/map design/enemies and attack patterns.
- physic simulation for dead bodies/body parts, a first on NEOGEO! and a first on 16 bit? (currently in BETA)
- 60FPS/60Hz twice as fluid, twice as responsive, zero the lag of MS games.
- one of the biggest and most ambitious games developed for NEOGEO since SNK's unfortunate demise in 2000.

If you still think it's just a clone, just think of it as an in-official sequel. But with completely new engine, completely new graphics,completely new music, completely new stages, completely new enemies and completely new game play.
We want this game to become our masterpiece and tribute to NEOGEO and we are willing to continuing work very hard for it.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Hot shit. I mean that in a good way! I know it's still awful to say "this is just like something else that came before," though I can't resist mentioning the masks feature reminds me of Kid Chameleon. Also, that's gonna be a lot of work to flesh out all those characters. With the power of the NG to back it up, though, some of the features might work well. I'd hope there aren't any broken characters, but unbalanced ones wouldn't bother me too much.

Will also be interesting to see how this big a cast would interact with the game world. I'd personally like something more original than all this, but as it is, it doesn't seem like there's much to complain about.

8-way aiming + aim lock is a great idea, glad they're talking it up.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Kid Chameleon.
Wow. I hadn't thought about that game in for-stinking-ever. Thanks for bringing it to mind!
sengoku 2

Post by sengoku 2 »

Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Really like the sprite art and animation on all the mechanical foes, looks really good. Not that the rest looks bad, but those stood out to me.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

I used to think this looks like crap. But now I can say the enemies and backgrounds look nice. Still not a fan of the portraits or player character sprites.
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

LEGENOARYNINLIA wrote:I used to think this looks like crap. But now I can say the enemies and backgrounds look nice. Still not a fan of the portraits or player character sprites.
It looks good and looks like it is fun to play - have to see how it turns out.
More Bromances = safer people
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

It still looks like a poor man's Metal Slug. The fact that developers like NG:DEV are around only shows that some collectors apparently buy anything. It's downright absurd that there is a cottage industry of devs around that target vintage consoles, putting out games that would have been considered sub-par back then when their target hardware was still available for sale in stores.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Dunno, looks miles better than it was. And this exact video has more contra feel, no?

As for their earlier stuff, it's hit or miss. Razion is beautiful as hell but they say it plays worse than most euroshmups. Neo XYX and Fast Striker, however, heard good things about them; and Gunlord found it's fans. Last Hope, though, only it's music worth to mention.

But yeah they annoy me. Why the hell they dont do parallel release on PSN/XBLA? Neo-Geo collectors will still buy their $600 carts.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

qmish wrote:Dunno, looks miles better than it was. And this exact video has more contra feel, no?
If you put a cherry on top if a turd, it still looks like a turd. Joking aside (nah, not really), yes, it does look a bit better. Graphics-wise it is still heavily modeled after Metal Slug, even though the gunplay does look like Contra. Not that they will be able to deliver anything as good. The lowest lows of Contra and MS will be leagues above Kraut Buster.
But yeah they annoy me. Why the hell they dont do parallel release on PSN/XBLA? Neo-Geo collectors will still buy their $600 carts.
They simply aren't competitive on PSN/XBLA/Steam and any other store front. Thus, they go where they have a competitive advantage or, more correctly, no competition at all.
LEGENOARYNINLIA

Post by LEGENOARYNINLIA »

qmish wrote:And this exact video has more contra feel, no?
Contra games are mostly about moving forward while firing. This thing, especially because you can touch enemies without getting hurt, isn't like Contra at all. This is very.. Euro. I guess they changed plans and want to appeal to the folks that liked Gunlord.
~The artist formerly known as TheRedKnight~
Fighting game photography: legenoaryninlia.tumblr.com
Fighting game tournament stuff: ninlia.home.blog
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

The spread shot seems inspired by Contra, though.
qmish

Post by qmish »

no competition at all
I remember their iOS fast striker port (not sure if supported iCade or other external controllers), which i hadnt chance to get as they removed it because they didnt want to pay $100 per year to apple, lol (or because didnt want to update game to work for new os)
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

Bonus! wrote:It still looks like a poor man's Metal Slug. The fact that developers like NG:DEV are around only shows that some collectors apparently buy anything. It's downright absurd that there is a cottage industry of devs around that target vintage consoles, putting out games that would have been considered sub-par back then when their target hardware was still available for sale in stores.
Have you looked at the neo library? It has horrible shit that's almost certainly a lot worse than whatevr this turns out to be. I'd be surprised if it can compare to one of the slugs gameplay-wise though. Technically it does seem far superior.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

It looks better than it did before, but it still has that late 90s DOS game look to it.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

spmbx wrote:Have you looked at the neo library? It has horrible shit that's almost certainly a lot worse than whatevr this turns out to be. I'd be surprised if it can compare to one of the slugs gameplay-wise though. Technically it does seem far superior.
Like what? Legend of Success Joe looks like crap, but it may very well have some art in there that is a lot better than anything in Kraut Buster. Besides, it's a bit odd to compare a game to the absolute worst a system has to offer. Any middling NeoGeo game blows Kraut Buster out of the water, and so hard it's not even funny.
wiNteR

Post by wiNteR »

Maybe it's just me, but doesn't this game seem better than Metal Slug? I have only played MS-1 (credit cleared it though) and even though it is good, there isn't anything particularly memorable about it. It is a reasonably good memoriser and its understandable why it would gain popularity in its time (good graphics, big sprites, attention to detail and so on). Perhaps my perspective is a bit limited from having played only one game in the series.

The point is that given the last video posted, it seems that this game is trying to do something different -- making a more manic game with a feel similar to MS. It might be a bit early to speculate how well it turns out in the end (my impression is more on the positive side), but I think it should get marks for trying.
But yeah they annoy me. Why the hell they dont do parallel release on PSN/XBLA?
Don't know how the financial side of the things works here, but from a player perspective I think at least one major platform (beyond the ones that are rare like NeoGeo/DC) for a game should be there. Maybe a timed exclusive (for a couple of years for example) could be a good idea? But I don't know much about it.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

wiNteR wrote:doesn't this game seem better than Metal Slug?
No.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

wiNteR wrote:Maybe it's just me, but doesn't this game seem better than Metal Slug?
There are a lot of subtleties to Metal Slug that make it such a wonderful game to play and replay throughout the years. It stands the test of time in ways that many average action-platformers do not. There is certainly a lot memorable about it, and if you can't see that, you might want to revisit it sometime.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
boagman

Post by boagman »

Mortificator wrote:
wiNteR wrote:doesn't this game seem better than Metal Slug?
No.
This.

However, I don't want to necessarily penalize them for falling under the "Imitation Is The Ultimate Form Of Flattery" category. They're missing, yes, but it's not as though they're using bad inspirational material (and it should be noted that MS pulled from others, too).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

wiNteR wrote:Maybe it's just me, but doesn't this game seem better than Metal Slug?
To quote an old shmups meme, "it's just you"! :)