dreamcast prob

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
DC906270

dreamcast prob

Post by DC906270 »

i'm having a few problems with my dreamcast

i play a lot of imports on my PAL dreamcast, using the DC-X swap disc

very often a game (when loaded this way) will just "cut out" after a while of playing and revert back to the dreamcast start up options menu, where you can choose "play" etc

very annoying when you are in the middle of a game :(

anybody know what might cause this?

does something need cleaning or is it a common problem of using the swap discs? or do i need a new dreamcast?

thanks for any tips!
FatalError

Post by FatalError »

You may need to recalibrate the laser in your Dreamcast. Here's the link on how to do it:

Dreamcast Laser Calibration

From what I've heard (and I unfortunately can't really confirm this) is that the laser in the Dreamcast will lose its calibration over time, causing games not to be read properly.
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

How often does this happen? If its fairly repeatable, try putting a heavy book on the lid after you put in the import game, as you may have a faulty latch switch.

Only other things I suggest is try using an original sega controller, without any rumble packs, and turn off any rumble options in the games.
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

I too have had problems with my DC lately. I play Japanese imports using the Gameshark CD-X swap trick. And recently while playing Psyvariar 2, for example, the game will just freeze on me right in the middle of gameplay, on the first stage. :? This is only happenning to my import games though (just Psyvariar 2, Chaos Field & Ikaruga).

I also play backups on my DC, which I've been told can strain my lens. Maybe that might have something to do with it?
oxtsu

Post by oxtsu »

Another thing to look at is the PSU connector and pins (they are to the lower left of disc drive). Oxidation or dirt there can cause intermittent resetting. Clean them with the highest concentration alcohol.
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

i think ive solved the problem...

seems it just needed the case opening up and the "power" button taking out and cleaning in the hole - was full of awful gunk (i bought the dreamcast 2nd hand)

now it seems to operate flawlessly and clicks on/off like it should (before there was no clicking sound when switching poewer on/off and sometimes the machine was hard to switch off)

thanks for the tips guys :)
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Yeah alot of DC issues are really just oxidation calibration issues, a few people have made a bit of cash from refurbishing them.

Its more durable than most people think, I custom built mine from several dreamcasts, parts in it are from release back in 99 still work great! after thousands of hours of use.
Vidi Vici Veni
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

I find it amusing when people who write guides refer to potentiometers as "dials". Makes me think they shouldn't have their systems apart. :(