Metal Slug a shmup? Wikipedia thinks so.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!

Should Metal Slug be classified as a shmup?

Yes. It meets all of the requirments.
17%
No. It's just too different.
83%

Total votes: 70

Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Arg not this again! :X
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
superhitachi4

Post by superhitachi4 »

Ex_Mosquito wrote:Arg not this again! :X
Affirmative.
Valgar

Post by Valgar »

mode7 answered this years ago.

"If you have to think about it, then it isn't a shmup."
Good. Bad. I'm the guy with the gun.
COWBOY-RJJ
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Every six or so months, it's almost a tradition.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Ghegs wrote:
What? Does this Metal Slug discussion come up a lot?
My Collection
Currently playing: Research (sigh)
Alpolio

Post by Alpolio »

Ramus wrote:
Ghegs wrote:
What? Does this Metal Slug discussion come up a lot?
Well, I did do a search before I started this topic. And I didn't find anything. And I thought that it needed to be brought up because Wikipedia had it listed as a shoot 'em up.
Andi wrote:A bunch of games that aren't recognized as shmups are - I think Smash TV is in there too.
I've read that Smash TV is the sequel to Williams' shmup classic Robotron. Maybe that's why it's in there.
llabnip

Post by llabnip »

Alpolio wrote:Well, I did do a search before I started this topic. And I didn't find anything. And I thought that it needed to be brought up because Wikipedia had it listed as a shoot 'em up.
Admittedly, it doesn't usually get brought up so directly (i.e. most subject lines won't show "Metal Slug a Shmup?!"). It gets brought up most every time people list their favorite shmups and Metal Slug comes up... someone invariably says "it's not a shooter, it's a run-and-gun..." and the discussion starts. It's been that way on this forum, the one before and the one before that. I say Metal Slug is a Run-n-Gun, not a shmup. Then again, I'm using the term shmup less and less (except this post!) and sticking with "2D overhead scrolling shooter... like Gradius, R-Type or Raiden" to describe the type of games I enjoy.
Last edited by llabnip on Fri Jan 20, 2006 9:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
llabnip - DaveB
Once more the light shines brightly in sector 2814.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Alpolio wrote: Well, I did do a search before I started this topic. And I didn't find anything. And I thought that it needed to be brought up because Wikipedia had it listed as a shoot 'em up.
The complaints aren't directed at you, Alpolio. There's a history of taking this issue a bit too far. Since the issue of how to define the term "shmup" has very little practical significance, people reasonably tire of it quickly. You probably have to have a special interest in definitions (as perhaps BulletMagnet and I do) in order to find the topic of interest.
Neon

Post by Neon »

Wikipedia is the foremost authority on everything.

This thread can still be turned awesome...if there's a rap-off
undamned

Post by undamned »

Neon wrote:Wikipedia is the foremost authority on everything.
Seriously. I quit reading the Bible and only read wikipedia now for all of life's truths.
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Neon wrote:This thread can still be turned awesome...if there's a rap-off
Ah, perhaps my finest hour...if I have one at all. :mrgreen:
professor ganson wrote:You probably have to have a special interest in definitions (as perhaps BulletMagnet and I do) in order to find the topic of interest.
Definition-oriented? Moi? *attempts to shove shmup glossary into the shadows*
Randorama wrote:;_;! *cuts an hair in our parts!*
My apologies, Rando, I'm not sure what you mean here. Perhaps for the best. ;)
J-Manic

Post by J-Manic »

extrarice wrote:
J-Manic wrote:Nope. I consider the Metal Slug series to be an action platformer, just like the Mega Man series. You're not supposed to be able jump in a shmup. If you can do more than just shoot, bomb and dodge bullets, then it is not a shmup. Shmups and action platformers are two different kinds of genres.
Then what about The Guardian Legend? It's half vertical-scroller shmup, half Alien Syndrome overhead-puzzle-shooter-space-action.
http://www.classicgaming.com/shmups/guardianlegend/

(off-topic, I know)
Hmmm, that kinda reminds me of Rendering Ranger R2, only it's half shmup, half platformer. What would you call that type of game anyway? A shmupformer or something? :?
extrarice

Post by extrarice »

J-Manic wrote:What would you call that type of game anyway? A shmupformer or something? :?
:shock:

...I think I have a new favorite word...
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

professor ganson wrote:
Alpolio wrote: Well, I did do a search before I started this topic. And I didn't find anything. And I thought that it needed to be brought up because Wikipedia had it listed as a shoot 'em up.
The complaints aren't directed at you, Alpolio. There's a history of taking this issue a bit too far. Since the issue of how to define the term "shmup" has very little practical significance, people reasonably tire of it quickly. You probably have to have a special interest in definitions (as perhaps BulletMagnet and I do) in order to find the topic of interest.
One thing I'd like to ask:
Why is it that when this sort of topic comes up people are especially annoyed? As I wrote in the quote, it makes sense that people would tire of this topic. But, hey, I very quickly tire of discussion of Ketsui replays, or anything having to do with Cave or replays in general (unless the replays are by someone on the forum), and you don't see me whining everytime such topics surface.
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

i voted yes, for lack of a "borderline shmup" option. it is a shmup, to an extent-- as is Bangaioh, Contra, Panzer Dragoon, and Rez are all borderline shmups in their own right.
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.