Xbox One Backwards Compatibility - Vote for 360 shmups here

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Pretas
Banned User

Xbox One Backwards Compatibility - Vote for 360 shmups here

Post by Pretas »

So it turns out that Microsoft's process for adding 360 games to the Xbox One's software emulation is entirely driven by the mob. Games that rise to the top of the list by accumulating the most votes get worked on first. While this further ensures that mainstream hits and first-party releases will be heavily prioritized over more obscure fare, it also means that the 360's library of STGs actually has a chance of gaining BC support somewhere down the line. Considering how much more successful and long-lived the 360 was, I don't imagine the BC initiative will be abandoned after only a couple of years, as it was with the 360's spotty software emulation of original Xbox games.

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503

All you need to vote is a Live account, and there are no restrictions on how many games you can vote for at a time. Once a 360 game gets added to BC, it can be played either from the retail disc or a download, and purchases from the 360 marketplace will carry over. Xbox Live Arcade games are also up for voting.

None of the US-released CAVE games have more than 200 votes at this time of writing - maybe we can at least change that. Senko no Ronde is not listed at all right now; there seems to be a way to submit games to be added to the poll, but I haven't gotten it to work.
Elixir

Re: Xbox One Backwards Compatibility - Vote for 360 shmups h

Post by Elixir »

Last edited by Elixir on Wed Jun 17, 2015 6:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Jelloman581

Post by Jelloman581 »

That would be great to get all the games added, at least the region free stuff. It might be too much to hope for to get imported region-locked stuff, but we can always try!
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Jelloman581

Post by Jelloman581 »

I saw in THIS video with MajorNelson and one of the devs for the BC funcitonality that USB devices would not be supported. This would include arcade sticks. I assume this means you'll have to have an XboxOne stick to play. Hopefully this can be clarified down the line, but something to keep in mind if you don't have an XBOne stick yet.
CDiablo

Post by CDiablo »

Good post here, I wonder if 360 imports will work on X1. I've always toyed with the idea of getting a Japanese 360, but this would save a lot of trouble.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Since the BC will work through software emulation, I wonder if there'll be some amount of additional lag inherent to the functionality.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

Adding a few more:

http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503 ... rt-exelica Triggerheart Exelica
http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503 ... itches-neo Trouble Witches Neo
http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503 ... omega-five Omega Five
http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503 ... dimensions R-Type Dimensions
http://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/298503 ... 44-ikaruga Ikaruga
Keres wrote:Since the BC will work through software emulation, I wonder if there'll be some amount of additional lag inherent to the functionality.
I'm in the Preview Program and have tried out Geometry Wars 1 on the Xbone. In that game at least, there is no noticeable input lag in the emulation.
:lol:
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

Doesn't the thought of emulating a port just sound sad? :mrgreen:
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

CDiablo wrote:Good post here, I wonder if 360 imports will work on X1. I've always toyed with the idea of getting a Japanese 360, but this would save a lot of trouble.
If you mean by trying out to see if region locked 360 titles would work on an region free X1, I doubt that would work, unless it goes by the same restrictions from its original 360 release.

I mean, its worth a try, but chances like that are real slim, to be honest.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

We've gotta get Mushi Futari on here!
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Blackbird wrote:We've gotta get Mushi Futari on here!
Japan-only releases are going to fall way, way down the list, if any of them ever get added to BC at all. As I wrote in another topic, there's a decent chance that Microsoft Japan might not give a shit about supporting BC at all, due to the One's catastrophically small install base there.

The sole exception is Deathsmiles IIX, which was never localized or translated but did find its way to Games on Demand in the Americas.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Done. If only this could mean region-free backwards compatibility...
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
antron

Post by antron »

Did they actually use emulation for the 360's BC? I thought you had to be considerably faster to do that; more than one generation ahead. I assumed they were porting the engines and just pulling data from the disc. Anyone know for sure?
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

antron wrote:Did they actually use emulation for the 360's BC? I thought you had to be considerably faster to do that; more than one generation ahead. I assumed they were porting the engines and just pulling data from the disc. Anyone know for sure?
original Xbox = Pentium III Coppermine CPU
Xbox 360 = PowerPC CPU

Yeah, it's emulated, and pretty poorly for the most part. Even Halo, their flagship BC Xbox game, had slowdown/stuttering issues galore.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

There are only a handful of supported original Xbox games that run pretty much flawlessly in emulation. Thankfully, Ninja Gaiden Black and Genma Onimusha are two of them.

Jet Set Radio Future is mostly okay, but the graffiti editor is completely screwed up. Panzer Dragoon Orta has severe graphical glitches during a certain boss fight.

The preview program seems to indicate that 360 emulation won't suffer from issues like this nearly as much. MS has a stronger incentive to get everything right, since every 360 game that gets BC support will have a digital copy for purchase (just a few OG Xbox games were ever available on the 360 marketplace).
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

Would they still be region locked like PS3's backwards compatibility(for physical, digital works fine regardless), or region free?
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Now it would make kind of sense why companies like Triangle Service and Moss started to put their games on Games on Demand worldwide after so long. Hopefully we'll see this program extended to Europe and Japan.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

Why? You still have your mint XB360, right?!
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

The Xbox 360 won't be supported for much longer, and my fat early model bought in 2007 (which survived a RROD) is wheezing with age. I do plan on getting a mint slim-model replacement soon, since there's no way the entire 360 library will ever be made compatible.
thrillrida

Post by thrillrida »

It would be cool to have all 360 shmups on one box

Here is one for Dodonpachi:
https://xbox.uservoice.com/forums/25164 ... patability
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Someone here has an XB1?
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Sorry that we can't all be Sony pony spergs. Maybe NeoGAF would be a better forum for you if you'd rather circlejerk about the PS4.

Also, I seem to remember you having called out user Friendly on his Sony fanboyism recently. Hypocrite much?
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Pretas wrote: *impotent rage*

Looks like somebody's getting very defensive about this :lol:
Giest118

Post by Giest118 »

Pretas wrote:Sorry that we can't all be Sony pony spergs. Maybe NeoGAF would be a better forum for you if you'd rather circlejerk about the PS4.

Also, I seem to remember you having called out user Friendly on his Sony fanboyism recently. Hypocrite much?
Skykid didn't say anything about Sony or the PS4 in his post. What he did was inquire as to whether anyone here has an XBox One.

Your post seems to imply that the only way for something to be "Not XBox One" is for it to be "PS4" which is a weird view of the world. By that definition, this sentence I'm saying is a PS4.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

Someone here has an XB1?

---------------------

Sorry that we can't all be Sony pony spergs. Maybe NeoGAF would be a better forum for you if you'd rather circlejerk about the PS4.

Be good.... behave yourselves.
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Why couldn't they just port the executable and reuse the data? I liked Antron's idea, and it would've been the better way to go than emulating.
For emulating, doesn't the host system have to be several times as powerful as the target (I heard somewhere 10x)?
Kinect? KIN NOT.
thelion1856

Post by thelion1856 »

gameoverDude wrote:Why couldn't they just port the executable and reuse the data? I liked Antron's idea, and it would've been the better way to go than emulating.
For emulating, doesn't the host system have to be several times as powerful as the target (I heard somewhere 10x)?
Yea i think this emulation of xbox360 games will fail, and would t it be that much harder for them to emulate a "bullethell" STG wouldn't their be super slowdown if they even did emulate one?

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2011/08/a ... -emulator/

^Here is an article I found about emulation the guy is making his own Super Nintendo emulator and basically says it's impossible to get an accurate port of a game in our lifetimes. I think this would apply to xbone as well. Either way I voted for all the STGs ones better than none.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Did a bit of Googling and the best I can find on how this was done last generation was with "emulation profiles" that are downloaded onto the Xbox HDD when you stick the game in and is required to play it. Antron might actually be right about just having a ported executable using disc data then, but even so it does not guarantee good results.
1up

Post by 1up »

Heard an interview with Phil Spencer today where he talked about the emulation. The Xbox One is emulating the top layer of the hardware. The Xbox One thinks that the Xbox 360 OS is a game. It doesn't emulate the whole system, so that is why it was possible.

So it's like a wrapper or parser? If it's possible to do on Xbox One, it shouldn't be long till someone finds out how to do it on PC.