Last Updated: Jan 16, 2006 12:12PM PST

Code: Select all

Game: Dimahoo
Start:  Jan. 16, 2006 12PM PST
End:  Jan. 23, 2006 12PM PST

Tier I:

Tier II:

Tier III:

*Tiers change based on number of people playing.
(more spots will be added if more people participate)
My Collection
Currently playing: Research (sigh)
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Week 6 restart. Go.
My Collection
Edge

Post by Edge »

So Dimahoo made it.

Can anyone explain how this secret item system is working in detail?

Edit:

Edge - 1'430'720 - Karte - Lvl.3 - 50 Items

Totally forgot how insane the bosses are, Boss 3 just wiped me out.
Skyline

Post by Skyline »

Skyline - 1,844,030 - Karte - Stage 4 - 46 Items

Stage 4 rapes me in every way possible. EVERY.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

crithit5000 - 1,577,390 - Solo Bang - 3 - 45 items
now tighter than your sister
Edge

Post by Edge »

Edge - 2'177'090 - Karte - 4 - 55 Items

Haha, Stage 4 sure threw some insane bullets at me. :D
I was afraid to use that "element change whatever", because I can't see what are bullets and what I am suppossed to collect. Offcourse I couldn't resist the greed. ;)

This game is quit some fun. Even if I don't understand how to get full item palettes and what that means for my score, which was why I quitted to play it years ago.
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Tar-Palantir - 1,892,450 - Grimlen - Stage 3 - 60 items
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Edge wrote:Can anyone explain how this secret item system is working in detail?
You might have noticed that your charge attack can go through eight different levels of charge. This is directly related to the items enemies release when destroyed with a charge attack, so if you destroy an enemy with a Lv. 6 charge, it will drop a Lv. 6 item. Each type of item has eight different levels, and to complete a set, you have to collect levels 1 through 8 of that type of item.

Confusing isn't it? ^_-

Now, completing item sets isn't just for show, it also increments a multiplier which affects the points values of the items you collect. For every set you complete, +1 is added to the overall multiplier - so if you complete two sets, for example, your multiplier will be x3 - and your incentive is to try and complete as many sets as you can, as quickly as you can.

I've also heard that completing item sets adds extra abilities to your character, like extra Shot strength and so on, but I haven't seen any evidence of it in effect.

Most items you can get from regular enemies using charge. There are sets of secret items, such as the Items of Legend, Items of Capcom, Great Jewels, and Fairies which require certain conditions to be fulfilled. These give you a lot of points, even more when multipliers are in effect.

I would say that Great Mahou has a worse case of invisibullets than Garegga does (as many would attest to). When the screen is swamped with items, it's very easy to fly into something hostile. >_<;;
landshark

Post by landshark »

Icarus wrote: I would say that Great Mahou has a worse case of invisibullets than Garegga does (as many would attest to). When the screen is swamped with items, it's very easy to fly into something hostile. >_<;;
With no items on the screen, the bullets are not difficult to see. But I 100% agree, when a ton of items pop up, it's my #1 death.
tiktak

Post by tiktak »

tiktak - 1,971,580 - Karte - 4 stage - 48 items
Tar-Palantir

Post by Tar-Palantir »

Are the secret characters allowed?

Tar-Palantir - 2,797,250 - Grimlen - Stage 4 - 80 items

(typing the score out from the Kawaks screenshot makes my head ache)
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Tar-Palantir wrote:Are the secret characters allowed?

Tar-Palantir - 2,797,250 - Grimlen - Stage 4 - 80 items

(typing the score out from the Kawaks screenshot makes my head ache)
Yes.
My Collection
Edge

Post by Edge »

How do I trigger those hidden characters?

Besides I have suggestion for next week's poll, how about a super retro week?

With only very old games like Star Force, Xevious, Exerion and so on...? :D

I'd find it quite funny to play one of those for just one week.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Edge wrote:How do I trigger those hidden characters?
Insert a coin, then at the title screen, press U U L D D R A B A B A then Start.
Chitta would be a good choice if her charge attack wasn't so weak and slow.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I've never found the extra characters to be any better than the standard chars.

I'm pissed. This is my 2nd favorite shooter and I'm not sure I can compete this week because of time constraints. I'll try and sneak in a score.
Edge

Post by Edge »

Hey guys, what's wrong?
Submit some scores, where is everyone this week? :?

Edge - 3'105'780 - Karte - Stage 5 - 66 Items

Boss 4 is a beast. I had to bomb my way through it...

Was messing around with the other characters and the hidden ones... But I totally sucked with all of them. Today I just returned to Karte and everything seemed a lot easier. :)
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

Will update soon; been busy with school.
My Collection
Sword

Post by Sword »

Dang, this is harder than it looks. I can't get past stage 2 at all..
Still a fun game, tho. I'll try to get a decent score in over the weekend.
crithit5000

Post by crithit5000 »

crithit5000 - 2,286,100 - Karte - 4 - 62 items
now tighter than your sister
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

As expected, 19 votes, maximum of 9 participants -_-;;

I'll pop up a score over the weekend (current practice record stands at 4.9mil, but I want it broken before Monday). I would have preferred Batrider Advanced, though, as Great Mahou requires a lot longer than a week to get the best out of it.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I played really quick 2 nights ago. I have a score written down of 4.9 million but I do not have a screenshot. I can post it if it is allowed w/o screenshot.

I have a replay up on MARP of a 5+ million point replay from a few months back to prove that I can make 4.9 million ;)

This is a terribly busy week for me. I put in over 13 hours yesterday and it's remained somewhat constant over the week.
Ramus

Post by Ramus »

yeah, post it.
My Collection
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I just cannot get consistent at this game, no matter how hard I try. I can manage to consistently complete Food and Shoes before Busturtle arrives, and occasionally I get lucky and finish Accessories and/or Swords by the end of stage2, before Dratrion arrives. The rest of the credits all go to hell from stage3, Dribling and onwards ;_;

Last credit of the night and I finished Axes and Staffs using the stage4 Chestmonsters, and then got popped all over the place shortly after >_<#

Ack. Several credits all at the 4.9mil mark. I love this game, but goddamn if it isn't the most frustrating exercise Raizing has ever devised.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Icarus wrote:I just cannot get consistent at this game, no matter how hard I try. I can manage to consistently complete Food and Shoes before Busturtle arrives, and occasionally I get lucky and finish Accessories and/or Swords by the end of stage2, before Dratrion arrives. The rest of the credits all go to hell from stage3, Dribling and onwards ;_;

Last credit of the night and I finished Axes and Staffs using the stage4 Chestmonsters, and then got popped all over the place shortly after >_<#

Ack. Several credits all at the 4.9mil mark. I love this game, but goddamn if it isn't the most frustrating exercise Raizing has ever devised.
My best games are when I finish stalves (I think) in level 1. The easiest by far is shoes and food. But I've read that you should go for axes and stalves (or was it accessories?) in level 1 and I remember Matt saying that shoes and food should just come by accident later in the game because just about every level has food and shoes scattered all over.

But I am very inconsistent in level 1 unless I'm specifically going for shoes & food.

Landshark - 4,995,330 - Stage 5 - Somewhere around 76 items I think

I wrote it with a sharpie on a bill and had a hard time reading it :) it's either 330 or 380 :)
landshark

Post by landshark »

Hell yeah... best game of Dimahoo of my life.

Landshark - 8,931,090 - Level 5 - 82 Items

I triggered x19 in level 4 at the very end of level 4 on those 5 boxes. I didn't know it was going to happen, so i was not ready, and the 2 special boxes popped out 2 unique items that would have been worth 1 million a piece. My score would have topped 10 million (and the extra guy would have been nice).

I thought that only happened at x10 (maybe I had x10???)

I had x2 in level 1 (axes and accessories), and was 1 items short of food, shoes, and 2 items short of stalves. So *somehow*, there is a *VERY* good way to go through level 1. I just happened to land on it in this game.

I had x5 in level 2 (food, shoes, stalves).

I had x7 or x8 in level 3 (swords, and maybe something else).

And boxes gave me x8 or x9 in the beginning of level 4 but I did not kill ANY of the special boxes. So it is possible that those would have crapped out special items if I had x9. That may have put me towards 15-20 million.

This will never happen again :( Why oh why did I decided to play on my regular mame install (to add to my hiscore file) instead of recording it :(

Anyway, here's some screens from along the way:

ImageImageImageImageImage
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I managed to capture a really embarrasing replay of me getting a 7x multiplier in stage4, and then chickening out so badly I could not manage to capitalise on it ;_;

Final score ended at 5.6mil. Dribling, and the whole of stage4 (including Cypider) still scare me.
landshark wrote:My best games are when I finish stalves (I think) in level 1. The easiest by far is shoes and food. But I've read that you should go for axes and stalves (or was it accessories?) in level 1 and I remember Matt saying that shoes and food should just come by accident later in the game because just about every level has food and shoes scattered all over.
IIRC, the only enemy that drops Axes in stage1 are the drill heads that pop up from the ground. I doubt that it would be totally feasible to complete the Axe set in stage1 alone. Accessories can definitely be done, and Staves can be done with perfect timing - the elemental enemies that appear drop them.

My biggest curiousity is how to complete Treasures before stage 4, as I'm usually missing a whole bunch of those.

EDIT: Congrats on the good score ^_^
I don't think I'll be getting close to that. Great Mahou doesn't agree with me.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

Sorry, I had no free time to play this game this week.

Not to mention I don't like Dimahoo that much. The whole "Mahou Daisakusen" series never clicked with me.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Icarus wrote: IIRC, the only enemy that drops Axes in stage1 are the drill heads that pop up from the ground. I doubt that it would be totally feasible to complete the Axe set in stage1 alone. Accessories can definitely be done, and Staves can be done with perfect timing - the elemental enemies that appear drop them.
The drill deads do, and I think a part of the dragons might drop em too. I'm not sure. I *was* specifically going for axes this time. Everything else in level 1 was an accident (except I let a powershot fly at the end to tag the last 4-6 blue/red enemies since I know they drop either stalves or accessories).
My biggest curiousity is how to complete Treasures before stage 4, as I'm usually missing a whole bunch of those.
I'm not sure. I remember at one point looking at my treasure stats and I had all but x1.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Well, if you can complete Axes and Staves on stage1, you're doing something far better than me ^_-

I can now consistently complete Food and Shoes on stage1 (putting me at 3x), and I *think* I've worked out how to complete Axes and Swords on stage2. I'm looking into Armor and Accessories as well, as there are a lot of enemies that drop those towards the end of stage 2 before Dratrion, as well as right at the begining of stages 3 and 4. (That, if done properly, would put me at 7x). Stage2 seems to have a lot of Helmets as well, but I'm not entirely certain what drops those at present, although you could theoretically grab about 5 or 6 of the set and use the bridge section of the giant rolling tank on stage3 to finish the rest.

Not certain about Staves, Treasures and Rings at present.
landshark

Post by landshark »

I haven't figured out how to get axes consistently, I'm wishing I recorded it so I could watch it and figure out WTF I did to do it. I had to stop playing for today as I was getting angry and dying in level 1 alot.

I'm pretty sure I did a level 7 charge on the first drill. A level 3 on the next, and a level 8 on another and that gave me a full set somehow.

I did not complete stalves in level 1, it was in level 3. I had to of completed accessories because I remember which enemy gave me my stalf completion.

You know the battery miniboss thing in level 3. The inner pod (bottom set of enemies) on each side of it gives a stalf. The top gives a sword at one point and a piece of armor I think. Boots and food come off the little pods too. I think there are rings as well.