MAME HLSL CRT SCANLINE EMULATION PRESETS

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Xyga

Re: MAME HLSL CRT SCANLINE EMULATION PRESETS

Post by Xyga »

I understand, I'll try Jezze's HLSL w/ aperture grille asap then (my GTX 750 Ti at home will be okay I believe)

Good luck with future conversion attempts !

My 2c; maybe there haven't been much work on this aside from Mamesick and yours because it's still early, or not everybody has even noticed yet.
Also the new possibilities are very close to making RA definitely useless for arcade emulation on flat panels (and not just that if you add MESS).
I mean RA's still got CRT-Royale and that Hard-GPU-Sync thing (which nobody's quite sure how it works) but it's so awkwardly difficult to use one almost needs to take classes to learn just how to play the first game. Plus support and documentation are a joke.
Mame with GUI is definitely the most convenient and user-friendly thing (also: people who mention QMC2 make me laugh, that thing is barely any more functional than RGUI, it was made by linux users for fuck's sake!)
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
u-man

Post by u-man »

I dont think it is not been noticed well enough, that windows MAME supports OpenGL, i believe it has other reasons, but I dont want to start flaming here :mrgreen: . You all should better think about WHY the mamedevs did this or why they started to add 3rd party support for BGFX and this was done "undercover". My 2c or tip: cause MooglyGuy, the inventor of HLSL has quit further development on it ;) .

I dont share your opinion with RA, at least not all points. It is not that hard to make it working, but you are right with the missing documentation or a proper manual in general. The support on the other side is good, at least for me... friendly, helpful people there. The main advantage of RA are the many different plattforms that are supported, so you may have many alternatives for windows, but if you look on other plattforms, than you will see, that RA is not that bad. Hell, it even has XBOX support.

But lets keep the thread MAME related, if you have questions for RA, you can PM me and I will try to answer them.

Thank you, that you like MAME GUI frontends and regarding the QMC2 thing, you shouldnt forget, that the GUI is seperated from the MAME core, so they have less trouble with new changes and releases of MAME itself and can concentrate on further development of the GUI with less hassle. Something that UIFX is struggling in the last times, as the MAME devs keep changing many GUI related stuff, which is sad for us, cause it keeps us away from working on further improvements.
QMC2 is also multiplatform and supports MESS. It is relative new to the scene and they can improve easily in the future, with their logic behind it.
But to be on your side, it is not my taste either :mrgreen: .
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
mremulator

Post by mremulator »

Been tinkering for a few weeks on and off.

This is the first time I can actually say I'm happy with the way that all of my favorite 207x games actually now look.

I own a couple of original cab's, running original hardware on NOS Hantarex Polo 3 CRT's.

It's getting to the point now where I can barely tell that my MAME cab ain't rockin a CRT.

Pasky

Post by Pasky »

mremulator wrote:Been tinkering for a few weeks on and off.

This is the first time I can actually say I'm happy with the way that all of my favorite 207x games actually now look.

I own a couple of original cab's, running original hardware on NOS Hantarex Polo 3 CRT's.

It's getting to the point now where I can barely tell that my MAME cab ain't rockin a CRT.

Would you mind sharing your settings?

Also, is there a vertical setup for the 'CRT-geom' shader? It looks strange with vertical games.
mremulator

Post by mremulator »

I already did on page 21 :wink:
LRa

Post by LRa »

mremulator wrote:I already did on page 21 :wink:
Should we just apply the changes in your last post or mix them all?
Floob

Post by Floob »

Anyone have any thoughts on this?

https://www.reddit.com/r/MAME/comments/ ... ificantly/

Is HLSL the way forward?
u-man

Post by u-man »

Sometimes I really wonder, if you guys even read the last view posts :P

HLSL made a huge step forward, as the MAME devs finally agreed to include Jezze´s HLSL shader improvements. If they wouldnt agree, we had plans to do it with MAMEUIFX exclusively :mrgreen: . We are all happy that this was not needed to do and that Jezze´s work found finally a way into the official MAME source, so that everyone can benefit from it and that coders can maybe even more improve HLSL as it is now on Github.

Jezze did a awesome job here, just look at the changes vs. old HLSL. There are still minor things left from the old version, but i guess the majority will not even notice them. Maximum respect here for this man.... good job, well played :D

Is HLSL the way forward?

Good question... my main aim was to have shaders that suits to the hardware that a user have.
For low-end resources and graphicscards the community has now the CRT-geom shader, which runs without a big impact on frames, but misses bloom/glow .
For highend users, there is HLSL and Lotte´s shader now, which is slightly more hungry on resources.
I prefer HLSL over Lotte, because you have sliders for playing around and way more parameters to manipulate the final image and you can adjust it to run even on mid-range cards or good integrated graphics like Intel HD 2000 and up. Not to mention that OpenGL has drawbacks, because it will miss additional tweaks that people have done over the time for Direct3D. All in all, there where huge improvements over the last three months for LCD and shader fans outthere and I think, we can all be very happy with the results :mrgreen:

cheers u-man
"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
cools

Post by cools »

162 actually looks really good default now. I tweak it a bit to reduce the age of the simulated monitor, and it's far far better than the older settings ever were, even at 1080p.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Whats up with the MameUIFX forums, tried 2 times now to register and never get my account authorised!!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

^ Same here. I was thinking maybe they doesn't check the user account registration requests very often...
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

cools wrote:162 actually looks really good default now. I tweak it a bit to reduce the age of the simulated monitor, and it's far far better than the older settings ever were, even at 1080p.
I dunno I still think the CRT_geom shader found in MameUiFX looks better when you comment out the curvurture option and adjust CRT_gamma to 2.1 and monitor _gamma to 2.5
Last edited by lettuce on Fri May 29, 2015 3:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

Best HLSL settings for Neo Geo (Puzzle Bobble) is?

Currently use:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 9#p1097459
http://pastebin.com/raw.php?i=sf6VMgW8

With: hlsl_prescale_x 6 and hlsl_prescale_y 6.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Using GLSL shader crt-geom-flat (commented out the curvature line in the .vsh file and altered CRTgamma to 2.1 and monitorgamma to 2.5)

Click For Full Size
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

GLSL is (useless) much slower than HLSL on my computer.

Best for now is:

Code: Select all

brightness                1.0
contrast                  1.0
gamma                     1.0

waitvsync                 1

hlsl_enable               1

shadow_mask_alpha         0.15
shadow_mask_texture       aperture.png

curvature                 0.0
pincushion                0.02
scanline_alpha            1.0
scanline_size             1.0
scanline_height           1.0
scanline_bright_scale     1.0
scanline_bright_offset    0.0
scanline_jitter           0.05
defocus                   1.5,0.0
converge_x                0.2,0.0,0.0
converge_y                0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_x         0.0,0.0,0.0
radial_converge_y         0.0,0.0,0.0
red_ratio                 1.0,0.0,0.0
grn_ratio                 0.0,1.0,0.0
blu_ratio                 0.0,0.0,1.0
saturation                1.0

floor                     0.0,0.0,0.0
phosphor_life             0.0,0.0,0.0

bloom_lvl1_weight         0.8
bloom_lvl2_weight         0.0
bloom_lvl3_weight         0.0
bloom_lvl4_weight         1.0
bloom_lvl5_weight         1.0
bloom_lvl6_weight         1.0
bloom_lvl7_weight         1.0
bloom_lvl8_weight         0.0
bloom_lvl9_weight         0.0
bloom_lvl0_weight         1.0

hlsl_prescale_x 0
hlsl_prescale_y 0

offset                    -0.02,-0.02,-0.02
scale                     1.02,1.02,1.02
power                     1.2,1.1,0.95

raster_bloom_scale        0.125
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

btw, default HLSL in MAME 0.162 not bad at all...
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

nesrulz wrote:GLSL is (useless) much slower than HLSL on my computer.
WHAT!, you state above that your using x6 prescale for HLSL which is a mssive strain on the GPU and your saying that GLSL is slower????, what system do you have?

GLSL runs fine on my Study PC and that's just has a Athlon 64 3800 CPU and a Radeon HD 7650 GPU, so not sure why your having issues with GLSL!
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

CPU E7200 GPU 9600 GT.

Can you share GLSL set (mame.ini)?
nesrulz

Post by nesrulz »

LRa

Post by LRa »

nesrulz wrote:GLSL now doing well!

http://www.mameau.com/mame-glsl-shaders-setup/

Yeah. :)
How does this compare to the INI Creator in terms of looks?
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

Yeah the latest version of MameUIFX has the crt-geom shader, i have edited the 'crt-geom.vsh' shader to remove the curve screen and made it a bit brighter by changing them to the following...

// gamma of simulated CRT
  CRTgamma = 2.1;
  // gamma of display monitor (typically 2.2 is correct)
  monitorgamma = 2.5;

// radius of curvature
 R = 12.0

// size of curved corners
  cornersize = 0.001;
and then save it as crt-geom_flat.vsh and also making a copy of the 'CRT-geom_rgb32_dir.fsh' file and then rename it to 'CRT-geom-Flat_rgb32_dir.fsh'
cmoses

Post by cmoses »

lettuce wrote:

Yeah the latest version of MameUIFX has the crt-geom shader, i have edited the 'crt-geom.vsh' shader to remove the curve screen and made it a bit brighter by changing them to the following...

CRTgamma = 2.1;
  monitorgamma = 2.5;

// radius of curvature
 R = 12.0

cornersize = 0.001;
and then save it as crt-geom_flat.vsh and also making a copy of the 'CRT-geom_rgb32_dir.fsh' file and then rename it to 'CRT-geom-Flat_rgb32_dir.fsh'
Lettuce,

I made the changes in the CRT-geom.vsh and renamed it but it seemed to make everything darker. I am using MAME 0.162 and downloaded the shader pack. Is there some other setting that you have changed?

I changed CRTgamma from 2.4 to 2.1 and monitorgamma from 2.2 to 2.5. I made the screen changes and they seem to work, getting rid of the curvature and screen rounding. I also copied the rgb32_dir.fsh file and renamed it to match the CRT-geom_flat

Thanks
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

cmoses wrote:
lettuce wrote:

CRTgamma = 2.1;
  monitorgamma = 2.5;

// radius of curvature
 R = 12.0

cornersize = 0.001;
Lettuce,

I made the changes in the CRT-geom.vsh and renamed it but it seemed to make everything darker. I am using MAME 0.162 and downloaded the shader pack. Is there some other setting that you have changed?

I changed CRTgamma from 2.4 to 2.1 and monitorgamma from 2.2 to 2.5. I made the screen changes and they seem to work, getting rid of the curvature and screen rounding. I also copied the rgb32_dir.fsh file and renamed it to match the CRT-geom_flat

Thanks
Now thats all i changed, maybe try getting the shaders from MameUIFX
jessiewonka

Post by jessiewonka »

What's a good GLSL shader setup that will work with SDLMAME?

Many months back I started using http://www.mameau.com/mame-glsl-shaders-setup/ with a few simple tweaks. Recently though I ran into this thread and I see most people's screenshots looking much improved over what I have. (I was also always holding out hope that someone fixed the converging scanline issue.) Then I saw Tim Lottes's bit of code, but not sure how to use it with my setup.

After reading most of this thread I just ended up confused and thinking I should just stick with the shader set I originally got, but maybe there's hope! I'm on a Mac so can't dabble with HLSL.
grendelrt

Post by grendelrt »

Hey guys, sorry if this is in the thread, but its big =O I have been playing with hlsl and wanted to know if anyone had some setting or advice on what my best option is in this situation. I am building a hyperspin machine and hooking it to the vga in of my blast city running at 31khz. For 15khz games I would like to enable scanlines but not really anything else since I dont need to account for crt phosphors, curvature, etc. Is it worth using HLSL or is there a better option that would just do scanlines? Thanks for the help!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

^ SLG3000 in the chain maybe ?

I can't think of an internal 'raw scanlines' solution without any sort of smoothing, it did exist in the old builds up to v0.106 but you're not going to use such an old version.
One would have to write new shader for this.

Otherwise SLG is extremely simple, plus you can wire a remote on/off switch to it.
grendelrt

Post by grendelrt »

Xyga wrote:^ SLG3000 in the chain maybe ?

I can't think of an internal 'raw scanlines' solution without any sort of smoothing, it did exist in the old builds up to v0.106 but you're not going to use such an old version.
One would have to write new shader for this.

Otherwise SLG is extremely simple, plus you can wire a remote on/off switch to it.
Yeah I have been thinking SLG or Extron to downscale. Wanted to try some software solutions as well just see how it works. Not sure how slg and mame handle vertical games on a horizontal monitor as well.
cools

Post by cools »

Use GroovyMAME.

Cleanstretch 2

Effect scanlines

Job done. If you're putting MAME in a cabinet and you're not using Groovy you're a fool.
Floob

Post by Floob »

cools wrote:If you're putting MAME in a cabinet and you're not using Groovy you're a fool.
Well thats cleared that up :)
grendelrt

Post by grendelrt »

cools wrote:Use GroovyMAME.

Cleanstretch 2

Effect scanlines

Job done. If you're putting MAME in a cabinet and you're not using Groovy you're a fool.
Sweet I will give that a try thanks!