ST: Eschatos (WIP)

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
ratikal

ST: Eschatos (WIP)

Post by ratikal »

I wanted to get this guide out for awhile now, but I've neglected it. I think if it's actually posted, it will give me more inspiration to actually finish it. If there's something I missed or you would like to know, please post and I will do my best to explain it in the guide.

TO-DO LIST
Actually finish the guide
Add a bullet types to the shield thing
Talk about Advanced, but Advanced is dumb.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Eschatos is the spiritual sequel to Judgement Silversword. This game features similar gameplay elements as JSS but improves on a lot of faults that JSS had.

>>>CONTENTS<<<

>>>GENERAL INFORMATION<<<
  • IN-GAME SETUP:
    Eschatos has a simple screen set-up as you can see here.

From the top-left corner down we have:
    • Current mode and difficulty
    • Score
    • Current lives
    • Current multiplier
    • Shield energy (bottom left)
    • Power meter (Advanced only)
    • Ship speed
    • Area progression, not important (bottom right)
  • WEAPONS:
    The Eschatos ship has 3 weapons at is disposal. They are:
    • Straight Shot
      This is your average forward shot that you would see in any other shooter. It's attack power is pretty strong.
    • Wide Shot
      This weapon shoots from the sides of your ship. The drawbacks are that it has a limited range, it does not cover your front, and it is also weaker than the straight shot. It is best used on enemies that die in one hit.
    • Shield
      The shield can be used as both an offensive and defensive tool. Offensively, it can be used to pointblank enemies. The damage is about the same as the Straight Shot. Defensively, it erases bullets. Depending on the type of bullet, it can take longer to erase than others. Using both of these properties can allow you to pointblank enemies and block their fire while doing so.
  • ITEMS:
    During gameplay, there are 3 possible items you can get. Two of them only appear in Advanced mode. They all are delivered by a container that appears at intervals depending on when you picked up the last one, the first one appearing in Area 2. These containers are more common in Advanced mode. They always appear on the opposite side of the screen of where your ship is.
    • F-bomb
      The only item in Original mode. Upon picking this up, it will erase all bullets on the screen and also deal small screenwide damage. This damage is powerful enough to destroy most popcorn enemies.
    • Power Up
      Only in Advanced mode. This will increase the power of your ship while lowering the maximum shield gauge and also adding 1 to your multiplier.
    • Gold F-bomb
      Only in Advanced mode. This acts the same way as the normal F-bomb. The difference is that it will turn all bullets into purple triangles that you can collect for points.
  • DIFFICULTIES:
    Eschatos has a total of 4 difficulties. Each one plays differently than the others and each rank up will require different strategies.
    • Easy
      The most basic mode. Enemies here shoot minimal amounts of bullets and die relatively quickly. The maximum multiplier you can have is x5.
    • Normal
      A step up from Easy. Enemies shoot a fair amount of bullets. Most of the bullets from bosses can be absorbed easily through the shield. The maximum multiplier is x10
    • Hard
      A real toughie and what I think is the games main mode. Enemies shoot a moderate amount of bullets. Most of the bullets from bosses are harder to absorb through the shield since they are bigger. Maximum multiplier is x20.
    • Hardest
      They aren't screwing around with that title, this mode is NUTS. Enemies shoot an OBSCENE amount of bullets. The jump from Hard to Hardest is very dramatic. There is no maximum multiplier in this mode. As of 2/2/2012, only one person has cleared Hardest on the leaderboard's so far.
    • Endless
      This is a combination of difficulties. The game loops (endless I guess) through the difficulties. Loop 1 is Easy, Loop 2 is Normal, Loop 3 is Hard, Loop 4 is Hardest, Loop 5 I suppose is Hardest again, or maybe even HardestER.
>>>SCORING SYSTEM<<<
The scoring system consists of 3 main elements.
  • MULTIPLIER:
    For every wave you successfully destroy, your multiplier rises by 1. The rate at which it rises may differ between difficulties. This is the first
    thing you should focus on if you are playing for score.
  • WONDERWITCHES:
    These are much like the Dodonpachi bees that are scattered throughout the level. When you pick up one, the next one you pick up is doubled. Assuming you pick them all up, I think the values of the wonder witches are: 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 20k, 50k, 100k. Your multiplier is applied to the point values. (I.E. 1k x20 = 20k!) An important thing to note is that while these are fixed on when they appear and their y coordinate, the x coordinate is different for each time you play.
  • END BONUS':
    When you complete the game, you are rewarded for both clearing the game and how many lives you have remaining. You are rewarded 1M per ship. The clear bonus differs on which difficulty you are playing.
  • Easy: 1M
  • Normal: 2M
  • Hard: 5M
  • Hardest: 10M

>>>GAME MODES<<<

• ORIGINAL:
    • ADVANCED:
    • TIME ATTACK:

>>>STAGE 1<<<

• AREA 4:
      Wonderwitch
    • AREA 5:
      boss

>>>STAGE 2<<<

• AREA 6:
      If you are playing Normal mode, if you align your wide shot so that both ends hit each corner of the screen, you can sit there for 4 waves without worry.
    • AREA 8:
      The missiles in this area do not need to be destroyed to keep your multiplier intact.
    • AREA 9:
      The wonderwitch is always going to be on top of the pyramid.
    • AREA 11:
      This boss is a gimped version of the Mirror Shield from Area 20 in JSS.

>>>STAGE 3<<<
    This stage is when the game gets very difficult. Do not feel inclined to try to keep your multiplier during this stage as it is very hard to do. Just try to survive as you will not get any extends in this area.
    • AREA 13:
      There is a wonderwitch right at the start of this area. It is near the top. Use your wide shot to search for it.
      This area is what I like to call the CRYSTAL CLUSTERFUCK. In this area, you will need to be extremely careful of the oncoming crystals. Important things to note are:
    • The red crystals hitboxes are actually on the ends. You can fly through the middle of these crystals unharmed.
    • The yellow crystals cannot be flown through at all.

>>>STAGE 4<<<
    This stage will be your biggest source of points. Use the starting area to build your multiplier up to high levels and sustain to the boss to gain mass amounts of points! You will get at least 3 extends in this area.
    • AREA 16:
      Use this video for reference: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... zvo#t=709s
      The wonderwitch in this area is located on one of the corners during the last wave.
    • AREA 18:
      This is the bossrush area. You will face 3 bosses one after another. The only really boss to note is the 2nd one. The first five shots that they shoot are aimed AWAY from you. The three shots after are aimed AT you. This applies for all difficulties.
    • AREA 19:
      This is the UFO rush area. Very reminiscent of Space Invaders, eh? The best course of action is destroy the UFO's first as when they are destroyed, they will explode and take out some of the other ships with it. The purple things that will spawn throughout the area do not need to be killed to sustained your multiplier.

If you manage to kill everything in this area, you will be rewarded 80,000 * current multiplier!
    • AREA 20:
      PHASE 1:
      The first phase is very simple. Many enemies will come down that you can simply stream to the left or right of. However, there is a wonderwitch in this phase in the opposite corner of where you were when the phase started.
      To tackle this, start from one bottom corner and immediately move to the opposite corner. Shoot the wonderwitch, you will be able to unlock it before any bullets hit you (does not apply for Hardest). After you acquire it, just simply kill all the enemies to advance to the next phase.
    PHASE 2:
    The boss is a call-back to the Stage 1 boss only much bigger and badder. The more "turrets" you kill, the less enemies will spawn.

The best trick for both scoring and survival is to milk 5 waves. You do this by going to a corner and use W-Shot. This will hit both the purple spheres as well as damage the turrets slightly. Once the spheres have stopped, bullets will shoot out of the turrets. Simply stream to the opposite corner. Hold W-Shot for the first 3 waves, and then only use it when the spheres are out.

After the fifth wave, switch to S-Shot immediately and begin kill the turrets. Since they were damaged from the W-Shot, they should go down easily. You will get one more wave, but keep using S-Shot. You NEED to kill every turret that runs by you. If done correctly, expect a smooth, clean kill, avoiding those annoying crystal things that come down.

Phase 3:
    Phase 3 has you attacking the core, or cores in this case. This phase is fairly simple, you just need to dodge the bullets the cores spit out and also dodge the Xevious plates as well. Use S-Shot and Shield accordingly.

Phase 4:
    The final phase has you attacking the only core remaining. It will send out 3 recurring patterns. The third pattern is important to note as it uses it homing lasers. For this, try to time a F-Bomb as soon as you hear them come out. Otherwise, you shield the core directly to erase most of them. Back out before the 1st attack repeats.

At around 25%, it will begin shooting out an increasingly rapid spiral attack at you. The best way to do this is to simply tap dodge along the core with your S-Shot.
    >>>STAGE 5<<<

• AREA 22:
      wonderwitch
    • AREA 24:
      hand thingy
    • AREA 25:
      wonderwtich, fucking lasers
    • AREA 26:
      dat boss

>>>CONCLUSION AND THANKS<<<
Special thanks to Icarus for writing nice guides to st- I mean borrow the format of.
Last edited by ratikal on Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
DEL

Re: ST: Eschatos (WIP)

Post by DEL »

ratikal wrote;
Talk about Advanced, but Advanced is dumb.
From my very limited experience of this game, it seems that you are right about Advanced mode in that the purple triangle scoring system is unbalanced. Taking a Gold F-bomb will decrease your chain by 1 and the resultant loss to your score will be more than the points gained from the purple triangles that appear.
So you end up going through the whole Advanced game avoiding all smart bombs.

However, I do like the increased firepower in Advance and prefer the harder difficulty of Advance on 'Normal'.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

I just started playing and Original seemed fun at first until I realized how pathetically useless time bonuses are if you can't keep up your multiplier due to enemies escaping, and it quickly becomes a problem for me on Stage 2 onwards where I'm lucky if I even see a x5.

Honestly I'm starting to like Advanced better. I just wish smartbombs didn't requrie so much effort to avoid...
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Also in Advanced picking up the gold F-bomb will reduce your power level. The higher power you are the fewer shield energy you have, so the ability to balance this back if you want to makes sense and is actually quite interesting from a gameplay perspective. Also shielding bullets will make them purple score items. So using the shield a lot will be good for score, and to use the shield a lot you can not have a high power shot. Meaning for highest scores you probably need to not power up a lot of power down strategically with the golden F-bombs before high bullet count areas.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Advanced is awesome, I just wish the golden F-bombs didn't reduce your multiplier. Both F-bombs seem like they need to be avoided, always.

I don't think it's accurate to say that it's better to keep a low power shot. You get more shield, sure, but I'm fairly certain the gems are worth less points at lower power levels. The highest scorer in Advanced Normal keeps his power up as much as he can, and just uses his shield whenever he gets a free second. It charges pretty fast, so even 30 energy is pretty helpful. I do think points items are worth more the more you have spinning around your ship, but I don't suspect it's enough to make up for them being worth less in general. I seem to recall M-Kai saying in an interview that collecting F-bombs changes certain aspects of the game/routes, but I haven't noticed anything.

I could be wrong on any or all of these points, but I think I'm generally correct on this.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
gs68

Post by gs68 »

I also wish F-bombs weren't zigzagging all over the place, or could instead be stocked up or shot away or something. The penalties they come with can make them feel like yet more bullets sometimes. It feels like "fake" difficulty in this regard.
Special World

Post by Special World »

gs68 wrote:I also wish F-bombs weren't zigzagging all over the place, or could instead be stocked up or shot away or something. The penalties they come with can make them feel like yet more bullets sometimes. It feels like "fake" difficulty in this regard.
Yeah, they're even worse than bullets! Just part of the fun, I suppose. I'm not bothered by them, I just wished they were better integrated into the scoring. They feel like a loose end.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
gs68

Post by gs68 »

okay how the hell do you pick up the wonderwitches

it's like i uncover one and then it flies away. "NO BONUS FOR YOU"
Joerpg84

Post by Joerpg84 »

How do you unlock credits? I started off getting things like option 3 and a credit plus other things I couldn't understand just from playing the game a few times....now nothing happens. I played 10+ times and I get nothing after it. I also have no idea what option 3 is. I'm stuck at 2 credits.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

You gain credits from leveling up your "option level" shown in the options menu, by playing the game.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
gs68

Post by gs68 »

The "cumulative score = option level" thing is kinda neat really. You'll unlock everything with diligent play, but you're encouraged to push your scoring hard to unlock things faster.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

• WONDERWITCHES:
These are much like the Dodonpachi bees that are scattered throughout the level. When you pick up one, the next one you pick up is doubled. Assuming you pick them all up, I think the values of the wonder witches are: 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 16k, 36k. Your multiplier is applied to the point values. (I.E. 1k x20 = 20k!) An important thing to note is that while these are fixed on when they appear and their y coordinate, the x coordinate is different for each time you play.
This isn't quite true. First of all there are seven wonderwitches throughout the game (as you mention correctly in the stage walktrough). The exact base values appear to be: 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 20k, 50k, 100k.

I can't stress the importance of the wonderwitches enough. That last witch alone is worth 1mill with a max multiplier in Normal and even more in harder difficulties. It's worth to invest enough time to learn how to properly pick them up (which isn't always easy). The best way is to line up yourself directly under them and then fly up as they approach you. It's very helpful that they function as a smart bomb and clear up the screen from all bullets.

The information about the placement is again not fully correct and holds true only for the first (area 4), third witch (area 13) and last witch (area 25). While the first and third are always at the very top, the last one appears in the middle of the screen. The second (area 9) is fixed and always on top of the pyramid. Witches 4-6 (areas 16, 20, 22) are always in one of the top corners. Which one is determined by your position when the area starts - It's always in the opposite corner relative to your position.
Last edited by Plasmo on Tue May 27, 2014 1:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Since Wonderwitches are the topic now, I guess it's worth asking.

The last few times I played, the Wonderwitch on top of the pyramid (must be the section 09 one?) seemed to be too high on the screen to collect. I think I went up as high as I could and it was still out of my reach... then it flew away. Can they be uncovered too soon, or was I just crazy that day?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Be at the bottom of the screen when you uncover it and then pick it up when it flies towards you.
I like chocolate milk

Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Updated my last post with the correct base values for the witches which are as follows: 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 20k, 50k, 100k.
I like chocolate milk

ShamefurDispray

Post by ShamefurDispray »

Hey Ratikal, just got this game and I'm having some issues near the end of stage 5. Right before I get to the boss, I'm at the part where there are purple chains and some sporadic red crystal looking things that come down. The red crystals make a little sound so I know I'm getting them all, and I know I'm getting all the purple chains. Yet right when I get to the boss my chain goes down from maxed out (5, since I'm playing on easy) to 2 or 3. When I watch replays I swear I can't see anything getting past me. What gives?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

You mean your chain drops when the scene shifts on Area 5 to fight the giant red crystal on top of the spaceship? That's easy - the boss has several destructable spots (the large grey diamond patches with yellow lines on them that 'bubble' when destroyed). Those all count as enemies for the purposes of chain breaks, so you have to make sure you kill them all or else you'll suffer chain dropping when the boss fight transitions to the last phase. Pestro's got a good example vid of how to be aggressive here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsuHfArwGbg
ShamefurDispray

Post by ShamefurDispray »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:You mean your chain drops when the scene shifts on Area 5 to fight the giant red crystal on top of the spaceship? That's easy - the boss has several destructable spots (the large grey diamond patches with yellow lines on them that 'bubble' when destroyed). Those all count as enemies for the purposes of chain breaks, so you have to make sure you kill them all or else you'll suffer chain dropping when the boss fight transitions to the last phase. Pestro's got a good example vid of how to be aggressive here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZsuHfArwGbg

Thank you! Didn't realize those gray bubbly things counted...that's what seems tricky about this game. It seems like NOT every single thing breaks the chain? Ok, that will be helpful :)
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

Expect a big rehaul of this guide in the near future. ;)
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

ratikal wrote:Expect a big rehaul of this guide in the near future. ;)
Yay! Thanks for doing this. :)
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

So, I'm in a rut. I updated the guide with a strat on the stage 4 boss. However, it's tough to explain things when there isn't something to show along with it.

I feel like the written guide here should be more about the mechanics and then have a separate video guide with annotations for routes. I've never written a guide before so I don't know what the best course of action is.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Screenshots. Lots of them.
blossom

Post by blossom »

ADVANCED MODE

Not a lot of information out there concerning Advanced mode, so I thought I'd collect a few things here for reference. Will try to update this if I learn anything new.
  • First things first, I think this mode is really cool, however I feel the need to emphasize it's almost impossible to practice for it. Stage practice for stage 2 or beyond will start you at powerup level 1 out of 7.
  • Your shield is weakened to these values with each respective powerup: 90, 80, 70, 60, 50, 30.
  • Shielding bullets will create purple gems that act as an offensive barrier around your ship.
  • Each powerup will increase your multiplier by 1, up to a max of 7x multiplier which will never drop unless you die or collect an F-bomb.
  • Unlike Original mode which will drop your multiplier by 1 if you die (not taking into account enemies that might escape during the respawn time), Advanced mode punishes each death the same way: let's assume you are at 26x multiplier during a boss and you die. Instead of dropping to 25x multiplier, you will drop to 6x multiplier. For this reason, and this is merely opinion, I don't think picking up F-bombs in Advanced mode should be stigmatized. It's obviously preferable to yo-yo between 26x and 25x, if you think you're in danger, instead of taking a hit due to your pride and receiving a 6x multiplier as a reward.
  • There is no time bonus in Advanced mode, which means speed killing isn't prioritized. There are two ways you can abuse this: waiting for item carriers to give you powerups/F-bombs at a safer time or waiting for a more lucrative bullet cancel. I've provided a list below for when you might want to stall a bit for bullet cancels.
  • Yellow F-bombs appear only during the stage, while blue F-bombs appear only during the boss. I might be wrong here, but it seems likely enough from what I've seen.
  • Wonder witches cancel bullets into purple gems, just like yellow F-bombs - however they do NOT power you down like yellow F-bombs. Good luck finding any decent opportunities to cancel with witches, though.

Here's a list of enemies that will cancel bullets on the entire screen which, as far as I can tell, is complete. Not sure how important these purple gems are for score, so for all I know this list is largely pointless, but I'm sure it could help someone gain some type of advantage. I might have to add screenshots eventually, because my names for these enemies are hilariously stupid. (edit: after some experimentation, I'd say half of these bullet cancels are worthless, however anything involving green lasers is most likely worth your time to bullet cancel optimally, which often requires you to see the attack pattern cycle through a second time)
  • area 2- two large UFOs at the end of area
  • area 5- twice, one bullet cancel for depleting each health bar on the boss
  • area 9- when the three UFOs run away at the pyramid/ziggurat(?)
  • area 11- kill the mirror
  • area 12- kill the first phase of the boss
  • area 14- killing each of the three eggs is a bullet cancel
  • area 15- kill the boss
  • area 17- kill the eight legged eyeball thingy
  • area 18- kill the minibosses: each of the sea creature lookin things is a bullet cancel, each half of the heart is a bullet cancel
  • area 19- killing each of the topmost UFOs is a bullet cancel
  • area 20- killing first phase is a bullet cancel; during second phase, each blue disc is a bullet cancel; third phase has two bullet cancels, once when the boss is around 10% health and again when you kill it
  • area 21- kill the giant egg carrier miniboss
  • area 22- killing each mirror is a cancel
  • area 23- killing each of the eyeballs is a cancel
  • area 26- depleting each of the three health bars is a cancel
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

I can't consistently get a bomb at stage 2 pyramid mid boss. So it makes it very hard for me to no miss this section. Because the way the bullet patterns and the green lasers interact make it very hard to dodge. Any hints?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

You might be underestimating how far it's safe to move up due to the camera perspective. Most of the bullets are gone by the time the lasers show up so you should only be getting herded by them if you're stuck at the bottom. Read a path ahead, or shield, and push up before the lasers come out, then move only horizontally once you're clear. You can keep shielding while doing this if you're not sure about it (remember the shield works on lasers too).

BTW if it is the perspective that's messing with you then some of the stuff later on is going to drive you nuts.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Lethe wrote:You might be underestimating how far it's safe to move up due to the camera perspective. Most of the bullets are gone by the time the lasers show up so you should only be getting herded by them if you're stuck at the bottom. Read a path ahead, or shield, and push up before the lasers come out, then move only horizontally once you're clear. You can keep shielding while doing this if you're not sure about it (remember the shield works on lasers too).

BTW if it is the perspective that's messing with you then some of the stuff later on is going to drive you nuts.
I just went back after having read what you wrote and no missed that segment. Damn man. I thought I had the perspective down. Guess I need to adjust my positioning. Also trying to keep to the top of the screen helped. So that both patterns don't interlace.

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk