Ninja Gaiden [NES] + R2RKMF: Scrolling Action Monogatari

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Austin

Re: Ninja Gaiden [NES] + Sidescrolling Action Miscs

Post by Austin »

Squire Grooktook wrote:^^^Yes, they are great, but nobody is arguing that. It's more just funny how they get a reputation primarily for being hard. Mario 1 is about as hard as Contra 1.
Whenever I see the term "easy" applied to something here, it always comes off to me as having a negative connotation to it. Maybe I'm just interpreting it incorrectly most of the time.

I agree though, I never really understood why people thought Contra and Super C (on the NES) are hard. Contra was the first game I ever no-death cleared. I must have been in first grade or something like that.
MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

I did like eight loops on NES Contra one day. I have no desire to play it again, in single player anyway. Shattered Soldier and the US version of Hard Corps all day long.

What do you guys think about Neo Contra? I had when it came out, but ended up selling it. I remember liking some of it. Maybe I should hunt down another copy.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Neo's a pretty good topdown shooter. With such sharply responsive controls and raucous ultraviolence it could've easily been outright great, were stage and enemy design tightened to arcade spec. It needed more enemies capable of shooting at or otherwise aggressively engaging you, and less space to hide from them (m4's aircraft carrier turrets should've been an inescapable gauntlet - instead you can simply scroll them offscreen for a breather, leisurely picking off one at a time). Bosses likewise don't feel truly threatening outside of a late handful (Mecha Gyaba and Master Contra are both excellent). Compared to stuff like Kiki Kaikai (SFC) or Twinkle Tale (MD) it's very loose.

Would never part with my copy, though! Even if it's not the greatest topdown shooter, it's still got a decidedly gratifying combination of flawless oldschool handling and cinematic, ludicrously violent action.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

On PS2, I found Gauntlet Dark Legacy (with ROBOTRON sytle controls) and the Alien Syndrome remake more essential, but mostly because twin stick controls made so much sense in those. Nothing teribly wrong with Neo Contra, though.
I guess The Red Star warrants namedropping here. It's good.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

Some armchair speculation about the issues of skill and easiness/difficulty:

I think most people fundamentally enjoy action/platform games because they deliver an experience of flowing smoothly, intuitively through an interesting environment and its obstacles. Even for those of us who like hard games, I think the final product---a skilled, effortlessly intuitive run---is the main goal and pleasure. The state of flow is similar to a beginner starting through SMB1 level 1-1, but intensified by the higher density of learned action-sequences and the longer build-up before eventual success.

So we like to be fully-engaged in the game, constantly reacting and exercising skill, but interruptions to the flow are frustrating. There are basically two kinds of interruptions: those imposed by the game, e.g. failure/death, and those self-imposed by the player---stopping to think and reassess strategies.

Casual and, uh, hardcore players are distinguished somewhat by the latter's appetite for strategizing.
And evaluating and experimenting with strategies is part of the fun, but if that were the main thing we'd play strategy/puzzle games instead, no? I think we're all fundamentally united by the search for a certain kind of action-flow experience, and the noob/expert divide is more about a secondary trait of being willing to tolerate more self-imposed interruption in the present in order to overcome failure and achieve a heightened flow in the future. This also naturally feeds into a preference for harder games, with more failure up front met by future dividends.

Of course there are also certain 'enticements' in games that can engage us more fully without necessarily adding challenge. Whipping candles in CV is... just strangely satisfying. The momentum-based movement of a good hop-n-bop is, for me, not just a source of challenge but an attraction in its own right. Elsewhere the main attraction might be blowin' shit up real good. Perhaps the ideal game is one with a healthy dose of enticement, plus as much challenge as one can stomach and overcome. But I've enjoyed games (like the freeware Jumper) that are all challenge and no enticement, and surely others that are mostly enticement with low challenge (Shovel Knight). I don't begrudge these latter games, and ultimately I think they are aimed at creating a similar kind of player-experience (as described above).
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

dojo_b wrote:I think most people fundamentally enjoy action/platform games because they deliver an experience of flowing smoothly, intuitively through an interesting environment and its obstacles.
Hence the FPP exploration of Metroid Prime is such a disappointment. I expect a certain kind of flow from a Metroid game, that Prime did not deliver (except for the Morph Ball bits).
Last edited by Obiwanshinobi on Tue May 12, 2015 11:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

MOSQUITO FIGHTER

Post by MOSQUITO FIGHTER »

I'd rather play Rush N Attack than the nes Contras at this point really. I think it controls like crap, but in kind of a charming way. The levels are basic and repetitive, but it's still really intense.

I think the nes Castlevania games still hold up really well.

Why doesn't anyone else like Rollergames? I think it's so underrated.
BIL

Post by BIL »

BIL aka ME, MUHFUCKA (・`W´・) wrote:Rondo and XX bosses' dying attacks can't actually kill you, if anyone was wondering. I was 99% sure of this in the former and confirmed it in XX this evening (though knowing XX, I wouldn't be surprised if you could somehow get it to kill you).
Yeah you can. Get beaned by Serpent's surprise popup, then walk into his skeletal, still standing remains. Once Richter's hitflash wears off, BLAMMO. Back to checkpoint! Try again scrub!

This won't occur in Rondo, it disables his corpse's hurtbox immediately after the popup. :lol:

It's interesting (if not especially good) how XX upped Serpent's difficulty without changing his patterns or upping his damage. Basically you can't see shit. When he starts either slither pattern, he'll be rocketing right into your face beforehand. In Rondo you can hear him startup offscreen, and by the time he's visible he'll be into the pattern proper and slowed down.

Can't say it's exactly a design triumph, but I do kinda like the reflex involved in XX's version. To counter either slither you simply neutral hop over his head and follow along in the gap, but in XX if you're a split-second off you'll get clobbered (and probably JUGGLED ROFL - oh XX). Hey, this is a st1 boss trying to make it in an unforgiving st5 world! God rest he soul!

Yeah I know about the weeny safespot in the left corner! Meh!
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

dojo_b wrote:So we like to be fully-engaged in the game, constantly reacting and exercising skill, but interruptions to the flow are frustrating. There are basically two kinds of interruptions: those imposed by the game, e.g. failure/death, and those self-imposed by the player---stopping to think and reassess strategies.
I'm mostly interested in the former.

To me, the most important thing, above challenge, is excitement. Excitement, coming from punishment for failure, such as a returning to the start of a lengthy game on death. Contra 1 is not particularly hard but the rng dodging and threat of failing a 1lc or 1cc keeps it exciting and intense.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hey Squire, I think XX's Dullahan patterns can be manipulated via proximity too. I consistently get leap -> icicles -> rocks -> icicles on runs where I stay in his face.

I'd so love to read some developer commentary on XX.

edit: aww sheeeit, back to 1LC shape.

"I ROVE YOU DORAKYURA-SAN" "I ROVE YOU TOO BERUMONDO-KUN, OH FML MY FACE IS MELTING"

exciting session notes

-pests spawn according to the direction Richter's facing. Try back-hopping along st3's columns, all the medusas will spawn from the right instead of blocking your path leftward. Works with the bats on the earlier raft ride, too.

-axe is the best weapon, keep it all the goddamn time. Minces up bosses and can easily bust through the guard of pikemen positioned above you (invaluable in st6's gear tower and st7's elevator shaft).

-since ammo carries over from stage to stage, a 1LC gives an enormous Gradius-like advantage, particularly on later bosses. You can judiciously bomb through Death's vicious second form, despite his subweapon counter, and Dracula's second form is easily shut down with the axe, 50~ hearts and decent positioning.

Vampire Killer stocks ammo like this too. I really like it, allows you to budget out some nice subweapon rampages.

-XX Death is one of the series' best bosses ever, holy shit.

-I'd forgotten this game's staff roll is where Dracula 64's lovely arrangement of "Bloodlines" came from.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

BIL wrote:pests spawn according to the direction Richter's facing.
The whole game should've been based around moonwalking, instead of just the popcorn enemies :P
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Squire Grooktook

BIL wrote:Hey Squire, I think XX's Dullahan patterns can be manipulated via proximity too. I consistently get leap -> icicles -> rocks -> icicles on runs where I stay in his face.
Aha! My theory is that due to the platform placement in his room in Rondo, they gave him two attack routines depending on whether players are on the ground near him or trying to camp on top of a platform.
BIL wrote: -I'd forgotten this game's staff roll is where Dracula 64's lovely arrangement of "Bloodlines" came from.
Definitely enjoy this version of it too. Fits the more dour art and tone of XX.

Ps: Did you record that 1lc session? Wouldn't mind a replay.
Volteccer_Jack wrote:
BIL wrote:pests spawn according to the direction Richter's facing.
The whole game should've been based around moonwalking, instead of just the popcorn enemies :P
Am I doing it right?
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Aha! My theory is that due to the platform placement in his room in Rondo, they gave him two attack routines depending on whether players are on the ground near him or trying to camp on top of a platform.
Does sound likely. I noticed on recent runs that whenever I put up a strong offense, keeping near him and landing plenty of whips, things went smoothly. I tried turtling on an occasion where I reached him with low HP, and got the worst sequence ever.

Such a cool boss. I wish XX had given him a proper room and then swapped him with Serpent - it grates that unlike so many other PCE highlights he's in the SFC game, only totally squandered.
Ps: Did you record that 1lc session? Wouldn't mind a replay.
Just finished recording a new one that actually beat my previous personal best for extends (finished with Rest 14, got my first no-damage Serpent kill). :smile: Encoding and uploading now, unfortunately with my glacial hardware it'll be five hours or so. Will post it here when done!

Quite happy with the run, outside of the st3 pillar hop and st4 key dungeon where I fool about, get whapped around, and very nearly killed by a fleaman. But I find that whole segment a bit insulting with its lame-ass stage design and DO IT RITE OR ELSE strictures, tbh, so it's hard to be disciplined. I can do it proper when IGAF but it ain't one of those times. 3:

I kid you not: during Dracula I was thinking "wouldn't it be great if I fell to my doom while collecting the game clear crystal ROFL" and I damned nearly did. >_< After Dracula's beaten and reappears in human form, the fade-in from white causes slowdown that almost made me hit "jump" too early. If I'd actually fell I would've just uploaded this one with apologies, with my laziness I don't record much and when I do, it's stuff that's a) fairly easy and b) a joy to handle - XX isn't really either. :lol:
Volteccer_Jack wrote:The whole game should've been based around moonwalking, instead of just the popcorn enemies :P
It's all about the moon jump. :mrgreen: I nail a couple good ones in st6's first gear tower, to displace some particularly meddling fledermäuse that'll otherwise spawn directly into your face as you leap for a spinning gear. 1337 tactics! Original technique, do not steal!
Squire Grooktook

BIL wrote: Just finished recording a new one that actually beat my previous personal best for extends (finished with Rest 14, got my first no-damage Serpent kill). :smile: Encoding and uploading now, unfortunately with my glacial hardware it'll be five hours or so. Will post it here when done!
Looking forward to it.

Don't think I didn't catch that blasphemous ninja edited comparison with Battle Garegga, you heretic.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Yeah, that was being MUCH too charitable to XX. It's merely enjoyable despite being bizarrely insular and somewhat busted. :mrgreen:
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Bah, you shouldn't have edited it out. It's the truth, and you know it!
BIL

Post by BIL »

DONE LIKE BUN (and as usual, looking like it was recorded with a bagel)

edit: ugh, and the usual snes9x audio desync. Sorry about that, will run it through virtualdub and reupload. Throwaway emulator kusoplay or not, I fn' hate that!
Squire Grooktook

@Garegga: This reminds me of how I discussed with Obscura that Marvel Vs Capcom 2 was the "Battle Garegga of fighters". Obviously from its combination of sound combat fundamentals and wacky game breaking elements that turned out for the better. But furthermore, with the different team and assist combinations and uneven match ups, the game has a distinct sense of long term planning for a fighter that fits the Yagawa bill on a deeper level. If you don't manipulate and plan the match carefully, you can find yourself in uniquely unwinnable situations, equivalent to a too high rank Garegga run.

I wonder, are there any platformers or 2d action games that could also be said to be the "Garegga of X"? Obviously some of them count from a speed running perspective, since concepts like damage boosting are somewhat Yagawa-esque, but I wonder if there are any games that count from a "normal" or survival play based perspective. Esoteric and counter-intuitive tactics and long term planning based on manipulating the game? Closest I can think of is Ghosts and Goblins esoteric enemy manipulation tactics.

Anyway on to the replay:
Spoiler
-I had forgotten XX had a unique pre boss bgm. I just want to throw out that I fucking love ominous pre boss battle themes. From Thunder Cross 2's "Approach The Boss" to Shin Megami Tensei's "Chaos" and "Law" themes.

-XX's lifebar is actually one of my favorites.

-Giant Bat taken down like a chump.

-Although it's a bit bare in places, I do think this game is overall pretty nice aesthetically, even if it doesn't hold a candle to Bloodlines or Rondo. It's kind of hit and miss. You get some lovely moody set pieces, next to rather bland hallways and such. On that note, I actually really love some of the musical arranges in this. Some of the more "subtle" tracks suffer a bit though (graveyard theme in particular imo).

-Oh man, 99 hearts by stage 3 lol

-Annette's room looks kind of bullshit. I can see draining the water, but inside a wall? Is there really nowhere else you can get her?

-Sea Serpent flailing around from the moment you enter the room just doesn't have the same impact as his wriggling in the background in Rondo. Takes a second longer, but it's not nearly as irritating there as Contra Hardcorps stage 1 miniboss.

-Oh sweet, Death actually bleeds instead of sweats in the JP version lol.

-Love the zombies ineffectually slow hobbling in the last stage's opening.

-Didn't notice the sound desync until you paused after getting the 1 up in the last stage. Still sounds pretty decent.

-Glad it takes less than a century to kill Drac's first form with 30+ hearts lol. 91 hearts though is hilarious. It is a cool battle conceptually though, especially the second form hovering over the platforms. Would have loved if they remade this in a better controlling CV.
Last edited by Squire Grooktook on Thu May 14, 2015 6:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

fiXXed :3

Definitely more to say but I'm heading out the door to catch the bus, will check back in. :smile:
Squire Grooktook

AWWWWW YEEEAAAAH

Just managed a 1 life clear of Ninja Gaiden. Not only that, but I managed to no damage Jaquio.

My only disappointment is that I got hit against the jumping green beret dude from the second room of 2-2 (where you're hopping across the pillars). Just cause it's a really fun and cool looking setpiece. Other than that, I think I did fairly gracefully on most of the stages, and I did manage to get revenge against Green Beret Dude on his near identical attack on 6-2.

Will probably upload later (assuming the movie hasn't desynced, watching it now to make sure *edit* yeah it works) and annotate it over the next few days.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Squire Grooktook wrote:I wonder, are there any platformers or 2d action games that could also be said to be the "Garegga of X"? Obviously some of them count from a speed running perspective, since concepts like damage boosting are somewhat Yagawa-esque, but I wonder if there are any games that count from a "normal" or survival play based perspective. Esoteric and counter-intuitive tactics and long term planning based on manipulating the game? Closest I can think of is Ghosts and Goblins esoteric enemy manipulation tactics.
I was thinking it over too, but couldn't come up with anything really definite. Magic Sword, perhaps? Another medieval fantasy-themed Capcom sidescroller, effectively a coinop ARPG. I'm not knowledgeable enough to say for sure, but it certainly seems to emphasise the long game with its route selections and AI helper levelling, along with a myriad of support items gleaned from Makaimura-esque hidden chests (maybe that's more Dimahoo than YGW, haha).

Specineff has 1CCd it, IIRC. I always loved what I saw but, as with most arcade titles, haven't put the time in yet. It's pretty brutal and definitely benefits from a bit of research beforehand. I imagine the Gauntlet-style depleting HP will be a make or break point for many.
On that note, I actually really love some of the musical arranges in this. Some of the more "subtle" tracks suffer a bit though (graveyard theme in particular imo).
I've been particularly impressed by the SFX quality this time around, especially on weapon impacts and the motion of the whip - destroying Death's sickles with it produces a chillingly sharp ring of metal on metal. I'd go as far as to say audio is XX's best feature, not as a slight on the rest of the game; it just sounds damn good! I guess Konami must've really known their way around the SFC hardware by 1995.
-Giant Bat taken down like a chump.
I only recently discovered how to tie him up like that, after switching from cross to axe - turned a tedious and awkward boss into something a lot more satisfying (it's a little nervy, hitting him before he can divebomb you after regrouping). Started finding Cerberus a lot more enjoyable too after switching, it's fun clocking him out of his high leaps.

Death's my favourite hands-down, one of my all-series favourites in fact - I love the tension of his second phase, and how it plays off the limited footing. If you're too passive he'll barge you to your doom, but the harder you push him the more viciously he'll respond. He also has a random (AFAIK) surprise backstep that can really complicate things.

I flubbed my usual start, after landing the first whip. If you crouch closer you can score several more, but it's tricky getting in there without either a) eating his brutal counter slash, or b) having him land the following overhead on your skull. Then again after all that abuse he'll usually bust out the buzzsaw, which you need space to escape, so maybe it worked out better. It's such an intense fight, I didn't realise until rewatching I'd had my best result yet (just one hit, from a sickle snipe). He seems really open to the axe's item crash - I was playing it by ear in this run, will see how exploitable it is. Speaking of bombs...
-Oh man, 99 hearts by stage 3 lol
Haha, yeah. I realise now I could be a lot more liberal with bombing, another point for the YGW connection. ;3 I only recently started nuking the st6 staircase ravens, who can get into some very aggravating positions otherwise. I'm quite proud I managed to resist the miserly urge and bomb a particularly nasty Death sickle setup, the sort I'd usually take my chances on escaping.
-Annette's room looks kind of bullshit. I can see draining the water, but inside a wall? Is there really nowhere else you can get her?
No other way, sadly (this game really should've incorporated the hostages into both routes). I was pleasantly surprised when I found that breakable scenery - closest XX ever got to Rondo's joy of discovery. I was eyeing those submerged platforms and thinking "hmm..."
-Sea Serpent flailing around from the moment you enter the room just doesn't have the same impact as his wriggling in the background in Rondo. Takes a second longer, but it's not nearly as irritating there as Contra Hardcorps stage 1 miniboss.
Oh man, neither Serpent nor Wyvern's st1 intro cinemas even approach the tedium of HC's cyclops debut. I can't think of another (quality) sidescroller's that do. :lol: I also like how you get a distant view of Wyvern's castle gate from Serpent's bridge, which you continue along during st2'. Good sense of distance, and of a vast monster-guarded perimeter.

Each of its first four stages having regular and hidden bosses+exits makes Rondo so fun on replays. I wish the series would get another game like that, it's a perfect hybrid of disciplined stage design and free roaming.
-Oh sweet, Death actually bleeds instead of sweats in the JP version lol.
That is a criminal bit of censorship on SNES, on par with "Milk Label" Metal Slug. It's so satisfying beating his ass raw in JP, particularly with the excellent *crack* SFX. :mrgreen: Also, don't forget to take a photo op with his decapitated body! magical haunted castle vacation
Spoiler
There's a good sport! Quite apropos duelling with Death in front of a giant clock.
Just managed a 1 life clear of Ninja Gaiden. Not only that, but I managed to no damage Jaquio.
Nicely done, will enjoy that replay. :cool:

---

edit: one-lifed BAD END this evening. I take back what I said about XX Werewolf! He's screwed up too, just like Minotaur. :[ Reach him with an axe and when he goes for the ceiling, he won't know WTF TO DO and will stubbornly keep clinging there after every hit until he's dead. So with Necromancer being nothing special and damaged goods making up the other three BAD END bosses, I'm not as bothered missing out anymore. I'm still a bit miffed that BAD END gets the rather nice st5 though, I really like that one. No way in hell is it worth missing out on Death for though.

edit 2: oh rofl, Rondo Werewolf can't handle axes either. :lol: Sorry XX!

I love the worst ending's illustration, sombre stuff. I'd make a "son I am disappoint" joke but it's truly bleak and works wonderfully with the staff roll BGM. Richter looks kinda like Ryu in these pics but then he did in Rondo as well. It always jars me how his sprite has RARUFU'S unmistakable hockey hair, but in both games' cutscenes he's relatively cleaned up. I wonder what the communication was like between the sprite and intermission artists (can't imagine they were the same people?).
Last edited by BIL on Thu May 14, 2015 11:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Wait, how do you no-damage Jaquio? I thought you were guaranteed to get hit by the rolling head in the last form no matter what?

EDIT: Or is Jaquio only the fireball-wizard form, and is the big lizard thing called something else? I always thought the big lizard thing was something Jaquio turned into, but I haven't played NG1 in forever.

DOUBLE EDIT: Oh, ok, I missed that in the story.
Last edited by Obscura on Thu May 14, 2015 9:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
BIL

Post by BIL »

That's not Jaki Oh (evil demon king) it's Jashin (evil god) - Jaquio's the flying warlock guy you fight second. ;3

Jashin's corpse is on the wall and is revived when TEH BLACK MOON aka eclipse happens.

Yeah, Jashin/Demon's decapitated head is a mandatory -1HP hit, unless you are a TASbot (or you're on a retry and have a meaty subweapon, but eh). Kinda blows if that's one more hitpoint than you can afford, but then you should be playing better! :lol:
dojo_b

Post by dojo_b »

Squire Grooktook wrote: To me, the most important thing, above challenge, is excitement. Excitement, coming from punishment for failure, such as a returning to the start of a lengthy game on death. Contra 1 is not particularly hard but the rng dodging and threat of failing a 1lc or 1cc keeps it exciting and intense.
You're right, the feeling of being in contention for something big, and trying to hold onto it, is addictive. Contra seems notable for having a steady drip feed of low-level risk, which is a good profile.

There are games that I would love if I just felt like I had any hope of reaching a 1CC, but as is am just rarely drawn to play them. Bucky O'Hare comes to mind---you can experience the whole game and its fun challenges, thanks to the checkpoints, but there's little excitement.
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Nice gameplay BIL. I love the masterful use of the axe, nicely done. I've not spent much time with the Castlevania games outside the original SFC and the 2nd GB game, strange :/
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

MEGADRIVE Eswat - 1Life Clear - Audio Commentary + Tips

Another rambling replay..

http://youtu.be/9og8dq5ifOA
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Squire Grooktook

Yo, Ex_Mosquito. Glad you're here. Think you could give any insight on those Ninja Spirits questions from a while back (are zakos random, and is the chain the only weapon worth using?)
BIL wrote: Oh man, neither Serpent nor Wyvern's st1 intro cinemas even approach the tedium of HC's cyclops debut. I can't think of another (quality) sidescroller's that do. :lol: I also like how you get a distant view of Wyvern's castle gate from Serpent's bridge, which you continue along during st2'. Good sense of distance, and of a vast monster-guarded perimeter.
Never noticed this before lol. Good stuff.
BIL wrote: I love the worst ending's illustration, sombre stuff. I'd make a "son I am disappoint" joke but it's truly bleak and works wonderfully with the staff roll BGM.
The endings really are lovely. Polar opposite of Rondo mood wise.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Ta Mr. Mosquito! XX has its ups and downs but ultimately it's good fun to keep under control.

If you've not played it, Bloodlines/Vampire Killer's one of the best introductions to traditional CV - more flexible, more varied and faster-paced than the earliest games, but the hard core of punishing methodical action remains. A technical showcase for the MD as well. Dracula X68000 and PCE Rondo are fantastic too - unless the series totally leaves you cold, it's pretty hard to go wrong with any of these three.

Avoid the PAL version of Bloodlines "New Generation" though! It's censored and 50hz, none of the speed or beautiful violence of the real thing. >_<
Ex_Mosquito wrote:MEGADRIVE Eswat - 1Life Clear - Audio Commentary + Tips

Another rambling replay..

http://youtu.be/9og8dq5ifOA
Naw, you need to visit more often. :mrgreen: I'm still far from done with E-Swat. Will enjoy this when I'm able to put the sound up!
Squire Grooktook

Also missed this:
BIL wrote: Each of its first four stages having regular and hidden bosses+exits makes Rondo so fun on replays. I wish the series would get another game like that, it's a perfect hybrid of disciplined stage design and free roaming.
Actually, M2's Castlevania Rebirth has a take on Rondo style branching stage paths. Skykid didn't like the game on normal, due to being easy till the last boss, but as another user here testified (I think it might have been Ex_Mosquito actually? Would have to look back) hard mode is a challenge on par with x68.

It doesn't have alternate stages, or even alternate bosses, but the stages themselves branch in a manner very similar to Rondo (though a bit more telegraphed, no jumping into pits or anything, and usually based on keys). They also occaisionally have skippable minibosses, such as the slime on the lower route of stage 2.

Stage design seems to have been heavily inspired by x68. Lots of rng, and some very tricky environmental hazards starting from stage 3. One thing that bugged me is that I kept getting my ass kicked by a random skeleton camping a ledge, Ninja Gaiden style, in stage 3. The reaction needed to make it past him seemed to be...questionable. But he's by-passable with a sub weapon easily, and for the most part the stages have a nice balance of platforming and footsies.

I've been liking the 3-4+ hours I've put into the game. Doesn't seem quite as brilliant as X68 or aggressive as Bloodlines, but I think it's definitely worth a look for CV fans.

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Castlevania Rebirth is just shitty. Since the difficulty levels don't affect bosses, on Hard difficulty, they're all complete jokes. There's at least one path that requires you to make a jump onto a moving platform that's off the screen when you make the jump, so making the jump or not is entirely luck. Then the door maze in stage 3 is some of the most worthless time-wasting shit level design I've ever seen.

Fuck Rebirth.