Jigoku Kisetsukan (Released + Steam)

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Blackbird

Re: Jigoku Kisetsukan (Demo March 2015)

Post by Blackbird »

I think deathbomb is a nice mechanic to help casual players, but it's a little too easy for veteran players to take advantage of.

Here's a suggestion: Why not adjust the duration of the deathbomb by difficulty?

Keep it more or less as-is on Easy, and then adjust the timing window to be less and less as you go up through the harder modes, to the point where the window is very small on Hell.
Emad

Post by Emad »

Blackbird wrote:I think deathbomb is a nice mechanic to help casual players, but it's a little too easy for veteran players to take advantage of.

Here's a suggestion: Why not adjust the duration of the deathbomb by difficulty?

Keep it more or less as-is on Easy, and then adjust the timing window to be less and less as you go up through the harder modes, to the point where the window is very small on Hell.
That's a very good idea. I'll add it now :)
Emanuele Franceschini | Blog | DeviantArt | Facebook | Twitter |
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Make the deathbomb timer smaller every time you use it but don't die? And make the amount the time decreases each time bigger based on difficulty.
Emad

Post by Emad »

Cagar wrote:Make the deathbomb timer smaller every time you use it but don't die? And make the amount the time decreases each time bigger based on difficulty.
This is interesting too. I'll try it out.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Blackbird wrote:Here's a suggestion: Why not adjust the duration of the deathbomb by difficulty?
Do Touhou games do this too? Or is it just based on how long you've survived? I know that Reimu generally gets a wider deathbomb window, and if you've survived a while without dying that your deathbomb window in Imperishable Night is much, much shorter than if you died a few times or if you're on your last life.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
Blackbird wrote:Here's a suggestion: Why not adjust the duration of the deathbomb by difficulty?
Do Touhou games do this too? Or is it just based on how long you've survived? I know that Reimu generally gets a wider deathbomb window, and if you've survived a while without dying that your deathbomb window in Imperishable Night is much, much shorter than if you died a few times or if you're on your last life.
According to the Touhou wiki the window is dependent on the character/team (pretty sure Reimu/Yukari has the longest window), the number of bombs remaining (it doesn't say if more bombs gives a longer or shorter window, but I'm assuming more gives a longer window), and whether you're doing a spellcard (the window's larger during spellcards).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Emad

Post by Emad »

New version available!
Now the game is more or less complete, all five stages are done and following your latest advice I tweaked the difficulty and the deathbomb timer. Everything should be gradually more difficult!

You can download the latest version on itch.io.
http://emad.itch.io/jigoku-kisetsukan

I also published the game on Greenlight. If the game gets Greenlit, it will be free there too.
http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/f ... =428353597

I also made a trailer, I hope you'll like it!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHTgv7f9G84
Kaiser

Post by Kaiser »

You certainly got my vote on Steam, got the game and i'll definitely post some feedback when I have time to sit down and play it properly. Nice to see another developer in here to make it to Steam.
Zenodyne R - My 2nd Steam Shmup
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Lol, is that. swastika pattern? Looks great!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Emad

Post by Emad »

Kaiser wrote:You certainly got my vote on Steam, got the game and i'll definitely post some feedback when I have time to sit down and play it properly. Nice to see another developer in here to make it to Steam.
Thanks for the vote! Much appreciated! :wink:
emphatic wrote:Lol, is that. swastika pattern? Looks great!
It's flipped! It has nothing to do with the nazis :lol:
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

YES! D pad support :P
My lord, I have come for you.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

My lord, I have come for you.
Emad

Re: Jigoku Kisetsukan (Released + Steam)

Post by Emad »

The game is on Steam now. :D
You can download and play it for free here http://store.steampowered.com/app/368950/
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I find it interesting that it's being distributed via steam even though it's freeware.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Emad

Post by Emad »

Lord Satori wrote:I find it interesting that it's being distributed via steam even though it's freeware.
For glory and honor!

and something to put in the cv, maybe
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Nice, congrats on the release!
The game seems really solid to be honest, haven't played the a lot of the full version yet.
It's great that you finished the game and released it (on STEAM, for FREE), and you should surely be proud to put it in your CV.

btw, if I'm not mistaken, the game has v-sync on by default? You should turn that off to have less input lag and make the game feel more responsive.
Not sure though, I just quickly tried it (gonna play more soon)
sempiro

Post by sempiro »

Please add music and sfx settings. I'm also not able to use my gamepad, the game supports only Xbox :/
Emad

Post by Emad »

Cagar wrote:btw, if I'm not mistaken, the game has v-sync on by default? You should turn that off to have less input lag and make the game feel more responsive.
Not sure though, I just quickly tried it (gonna play more soon)
In the last update I disabled v-sync and it can be toggled with F6.
sempiro wrote:Please add music and sfx settings. I'm also not able to use my gamepad, the game supports only Xbox :/
I will add a way to edit the volume of SFX and BGM in the next update.
For the pad issue, game maker's api don't support direct input, I'd have to use the deprecated api along with the new ones to have full pad support and I'm not going to do it anytime soon.
Ebbo

Post by Ebbo »

While we're at it, here are a few more quick suggestions:

- Add a toggle for all the cut-scenes. I appreciate the effort, but after the first playthrough all story stuff just became a nuisance that breaks the pacing. I know they are skippable with a press of button but it's the small conveniences that can make a great difference.

- Add a toggle for screen effects such as shaking and flashing. Screen shaking goes a bit overboard during the meteor stage and stage with the thunder and constant screen flashing actually began to strain my eyes, even though it was very brief.

- I noticed that some boss attacks start right after the eye-catch art fades away while other times attacks seems to start somewhere while the art is still on the screen. It feels a bit inconsistent and annoyingly obscures some patterns. It gets especially troublesome when I'm trying to move past the auto-pick zone and boss just decimates me without a warning.

- Besides the UFO-girl, most of the characters feel just a tad underpowered. Some have better coverage that others but since enemy waves either come one at a time or simply move in the line of your fire anyway, raw firepower ultimately feels a lot more useful. Maybe other characters could be powered up a notch?

- Speaking of firepower, the power up icons feel unnecessary. I'd prefer if the characters just started the game with max power and stayed that way. Usually I die during bosses and that simply means the bosses drag on too long for my tastes.

Overall the game is very competently made, if a bit homogeneous - nothing looks or feels that memorable. I like how some parts of are synced with the music, I wish the stage and boss design had more details like that. It's still a nice start and if you ever plan to work on another shooter, I'm sure it will be a great improvement.
ScreamboxStudio

Post by ScreamboxStudio »

I like the design of the image of the characters. :)
Dumple

Post by Dumple »

I just stumbled across the game on Steam today and played through some of the characters on Normal. The bullet patterns are varied, fun to look at, fun to dodge. I really like it - this is unbelievably good for a first game.

I especially like that there's a "training" mode. My favorite of the extra features.

It might be nice to add a place to show off high scores...Steam leaderboards? Then again, probably makes sense to wait to add that until any other polishing and fixing is done, if there's any other changes in the works.
Lobinden

Post by Lobinden »

Character design is great and it replicates the Touhou style of gameplay pretty well. I also like how the deathbombing works and that the game is very unforgiving towards dying, because you respawn with a power decrease and a half-filled bomb gauge. I find that it makes the last two stages/bosses much more engaging and intense.

However; I could not get my PS3 gamepad to work with this game, even with motionjoy's DS3 tool.
Iori Branford

Post by Iori Branford »

Lobinden wrote:However; I could not get my PS3 gamepad to work with this game, even with motionjoy's DS3 tool.
https://github.com/x360ce/x360ce
Try getting the 32-bit download, and putting xinput1_3.dll in the game directory.
Shatterhand

Post by Shatterhand »

I got this today on Steam. When I saw the credits and noticed it wasn't made by a japanese guy and it had a thank you to this forum, I came here to see if I'd find a thread about it :)

I personally have never been a big fan of the Touhou games, I don't like the "fill the screen with slow bullets - small taps to dodge - bullets coming from out of screen" stuff.

I also heavily dislike the "modern retro" aesthetics that plague so many indie games today. This made me really not like the music in the earlier levels, though the music in the last 2 levels are pretty nice.

Now this is all down to personal taste.

I did enjoy the game, I've played for 1 hour now according to Steam (I don't think I've played more than 4 full credits) and already reached last level on normal mode.

I'd guess Hard and Hell is more suitable for veteran shmuppers :) but I'll aim for the 1cc on Normal first anyway.

My arcade stick worked with it flawless, and the game is overall very polished. This being your first game, be a lot proud about it. It's a very good work undoubtly :)
Seelpit

Post by Seelpit »

To start off, so sorry for this massive bump of...a small 5 years. I know that it's kind of an unwritten rule, but I really wanted to ask if you could re-upload the spritesheets for the characters, now that the dropbox link has passed away =w="

I had a lot of fun beating it, and with Covid going rampant still, it's nice to return to this...and fail and fail again at the bosses with their cool shot patterns /w\
Emad

Post by Emad »

Seelpit wrote:To start off, so sorry for this massive bump of...a small 5 years. I know that it's kind of an unwritten rule, but I really wanted to ask if you could re-upload the spritesheets for the characters, now that the dropbox link has passed away =w="

I had a lot of fun beating it, and with Covid going rampant still, it's nice to return to this...and fail and fail again at the bosses with their cool shot patterns /w\
Hello! Glad you had fun with the game!

The illustrations are collected here:
https://cdn.cloudflare.steamstatic.com/ ... r_Book.pdf

And here the lil' picture with the pixel-art characters if you meant that
https://www.dropbox.com/s/4dfttbao8p869 ... l.png?dl=0