RQ: R-Type stage 7

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Bydobasher

RQ: R-Type stage 7

Post by Bydobasher »

In the old forums, this was a response of mine to a question regarding the stage 7 mid-level checkpoint in R-Type:

I mean there HAS to be a fairly easy way to beat it that I don't know about
Well, if it exists, I don't know about it either, but in any case, I can at least tell you what I do to try and beat the level.

First of all, I think the speedup is key. Frantic dodging is unavoidable, and without the speedup, it will be very difficult. So I think it's important to take the low path and pick that up.

After that, I wait just above the middle platform, while the Bugs -- those yellow creatures -- go streaming down behind you and up in front of you. At this point, there is usually a Cancer following me beneath the platform, and I wait until it turns around and starts going back the way it came from. If this Cancer keeps following you into the next portion of the level, it can make things exceptionally difficult.

By now, the "pit" should be visible, so I fly up, over the outcropping, and into the pit, where I use a succession of quick charge shots to take out those blue missile launchers. This being level 7, you need to watch out for the walls, which may explode at any time near the top or the bottom of the screen. The game does give you a very small advance-warning of this occurrence, but you need to be alert.

This is where it gets really crazy, because you have the last of the Bugs streaming in from the left, and a whole squadron of Pata-Patas -- the red ships -- streaming in from the right, and both of them are raining shots upon you. I find that staying low and dodging all of this is far too difficult to manage with any regularity, so I like to fly up to their level, and start blasting. You can't take them all out, but hopefully you can take out enough that the situation is made at least marginally easier to deal with. There is no real "path" here. You'll just have to react to whatever the Empire decides to throw your way....

There is a POW that flies by in the middle of the mayhem, and it carries a Bit, but I don't usually pay it any mind. If you're here, then it means you died at the checkpoint, and one Bit by itself won't make much of a difference the rest of the way.

Don't forget about the Scant -- the big green guy who shoots charge shots like yours. He's the last enemy in the level, and if you're not paying attention, he'll kill you.

As for Bronco -- the boss -- position yourself in the middle of the screen, between two of the "trash dispensers". The collision detection is very forgiving here, and you need to take advantage of it. Use charge shots, and move up and down to avoid shots from below. Sometimes the dispensers spit out POWs, and if you're very lucky, you may get a Bit to complement the one you (may have) picked up earlier. Two Bits will make a big difference in the last level. As I alluded to before though, I think it's more important to simply get to the last level, and if that means sacrificing the first Bit, then so be it. Getting the "trash" Bit is in any case exceedingly rare....

Good luck! :)
SAM

Re: RQ: R-Type stage 7

Post by SAM »

Bydobasher wrote:First of all, I think the speedup is key. Frantic dodging is unavoidable, and without the speedup, it will be very difficult. So I think it's important to take the low path and pick that up.

After that, I wait just above the middle platform, while the Bugs -- those yellow creatures -- go streaming down behind you and up in front of you. At this point, there is usually a Cancer following me beneath the platform, and I wait until it turns around and starts going back the way it came from. If this Cancer keeps following you into the next portion of the level, it can make things exceptionally difficult.

By now, the "pit" should be visible, so I fly up, over the outcropping, and into the pit, where I use a succession of quick charge shots to take out those blue missile launchers. This being level 7, you need to watch out for the walls, which may explode at any time near the top or the bottom of the screen. The game does give you a very small advance-warning of this occurrence, but you need to be alert.
I thought it was impossible to get back if you die after reaching Stage 7 Mid level Checkpoint, until I see your post here.

Could you be more specify on how to get above the middle platform and how to get off the platform?

How to get above the middle platform

IRRC, there should be a total of 6 Cancers:

2 in front of you above;
1 in front of you mid-screen; [Call it Cancer B]
1 enter from the top; [Call it Cancer A]
2 from behinds;

I spent hours at this check point, but still cannot figure out how to deal with them.

If I pick up the speedup then go above the middle platform, I got cought by Cancer A.

If I deal with Cancer A before picking up the speedup, Cancer B would then block my way to the top of the middle platform. With the Bugs on my back I was then no where to go. I found there is a little gap between the bugs' path and the middle platform which you could guess your ship between, but when the Bugs / Cancers shoot at you there, you are dead meat.

How to get off the platform

When I finally make myself safely above the middle platform, I found myself keep shooting at the Bugs in front of my ship. (The Bugs go down behind me, round the middle platform and up in front of me.)

When I try to get off by moving forward, I can no longer shoot at the bugs. I found my ship is too slow and got catch up and destory by the next Bug.

When I came here a force, I place it behind my ship so that it could deal with Cancers coming from behind and let by get off the perform by moving back (use the force to break the chine of Bugs streaming down behind my ship) and follow the Bugs path around the perform and up again.

I donn't know how to get off the perfrom without a force, could some body help me?

I cannot believe you guys are actually milking for points here?!?! :shock:

Bydobasher wrote:Two Bits will make a big difference in the last level.
I had spent 15+ hours just credit myself though Stage 8 with out a bit. I would say it is pretty hard to get pass Stage 8 without a bit. So if you die after Stage 4, you won't got 2 Bits with you in stage 8. And your chance of finishing the loop is very small.

I see the thread is talking about Stage 7, so I think I better start another thread to talk about Stage 8.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

Hi SAM,

I apologize for the late reply, but I don't visit as often as I used to. :(

Okay, let's discuss! :)
SAM wrote:I thought it was impossible to get back if you die after reaching Stage 7 Mid level Checkpoint, until I see your post here.

Could you be more specify on how to get above the middle platform and how to get off the platform?
It certainly is not impossible! (If it was, I would like the game considerably less than I do; I love checkpoint games, but only when all checkpoints can be overcome without having to continue a thousand times.)
SAM wrote:If I pick up the speedup then go above the middle platform, I got cought by Cancer A.

If I deal with Cancer A before picking up the speedup, Cancer B would then block my way to the top of the middle platform. With the Bugs on my back I was then no where to go.
Okay, I think I see what's going on here. First of all, you do need to take care of Cancer A, as you discovered. I suggest hanging back, immediately below the large wall that blocks your path shortly after the checkpoint. You'll be destroying the Binks as they walk on to the screen, and if you're close enough to the "ceiling", or far enough to the left of the screen, Cancer A will not be able to shoot you. However, as soon as the smallest piece of Cancer A is visible below the wall, blast it with a charge shot and move foward for all your worth -- which isn't much, since you haven't picked up the speed yet.

Now, you have to do what I'm going to describe in one smooth move. As you fly forward, the POW will appear, and you will blast it and pick up the speed. By this time, there should be just enough space on the right side of the middle platform for you to navigate, so keep going, firing all the time, and as you do so, Cancer B should appear and find itself blasted before it knows what hit him. Don't sit on the platform yet! Keep going, charge, and blast the two other Cancers while hiding behind/under the "middle ceiling". Now you may sit on the middle platform and wait, firing all the while; do keep in mind that a stray shot or two may come your way -- either from the Bugs, or more likely from the lone remaining Cancer behind you -- so be prepared.
SAM wrote:When I finally make myself safely above the middle platform, I found myself keep shooting at the Bugs in front of my ship. (The Bugs go down behind me, round the middle platform and up in front of me.)

When I try to get off by moving forward, I can no longer shoot at the bugs. I found my ship is too slow and got catch up and destory by the next Bug.
This is why you need the speedup. If you keep firing, and fly diagonally up and foward, I don't usually have a problem with this.
SAM wrote:I cannot believe you guys are actually milking for points here?!?! :shock:
Yes, well, some of our members really are bordering on the ridiculous (ridiculously good, that is). I'm quite happy just to get passed the darn thing, although I have been known to die on purpose just so I can have a shot at it. ;)
SAM

Post by SAM »

Thank for the details reply, Bydobasher. :D

I would try this checkpoint when I back home tonight.
*Meow* I am as serious as a cat could possible be. *Meow*