Sturmwind - New DC Euroshmup by Duranik/redspotgames

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Stevas

Re: Sturmwind - New DC Euroshmup by Duranik/redspotgames

Post by Stevas »

They are.

Whether they will be by the time this investigation finds a conclusion, however...

I note that on their description of even the cheapest mail option that they "ship out all Airmail parcels insured and registered". Hopefully this means they can get some sort of refund on missing items, but lord knows how long they have to wait to claim that back.

I'm already kinda resigned to not seeing this game. Still, my preorders for Shooting Love and DDP SDOJ just shipped!

From... um... from the same place.

Arse.
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Nothing here yet.

:shock:

Bill
the2bears - the indie shmup blog
radirgyman

Post by radirgyman »

Fantastic game! Love the graphics.
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

Nothing but tumbleweed - really annoyed that they are just going dark with people inquiring about there shipments.

Guess it's time to take this up with Amex. :x
dukenukems

Post by dukenukems »

Received my copy from redspot games last friday,still haven't played it yet though.
jp

Post by jp »

I got this last night, 1CC'd the Arcade Mode (Normal) this morning with a score of 3.2 million (stupid stupid stupid death on one of the bosses, this should have been higher).

I think the game is damn good, and is one of the better shooters on the Dreamcast period (easily outclasses the rest of the independent releases, and quite frankly a lot better than some of the mainstream releases). It's just an extremely well designed game that looks fantastic, sounds fantastic, and most importantly, plays fantastic. I think with a little more polish (sometimes the hit detection seems wonky, and whenever your ship gets destroyed there's no "Oomf!", just the screen goes black and you see "Get Ready" or something like that; I need a nice explosion to wallow in as I reflect on my mistake, also, the ship icon for the lives is weak sauce).

I got the LE (though not from Play-Asia, because they're fucking incompetent), and I must say, this is a better LE than most major releases get. Extremely nice. Still gotta get my plush Krakor from the RSG website though.

There's also a funny glitch in the game. At some point the counting for the levels goes off during the Level Clear screen (in arcade mode at least). When I beat Level 5 at the top of the stage clear screen it said Level 6 Clear, when I beat Level 6 at the top it said Level 7 clear. Kind of funny, not a big deal though.

Also, the final boss of Arcade Mode isn't very impressive. I was disappointed, but I'm sure the final boss in Normal Mode is much better. I'll start working on that 1CC next (granted, that's a looooong 1CC).

Oh, any clue on what the final unlockable is in the Bonus section? I'm hoping for the Native demo myself... that would just bring things full circle.
RABBLE RABBLE RABBLE!!!!!!
jp

Post by jp »

Yay! I'm #1 on Normal Mode on Normal Difficulty!

http://duranik.com/sturmwind.php?mode=0 ... fficulty=1

Stupid death at one of the bosses though... this could've easily been a bit higher.

Now to go work on Arcade Mode.
jp

Post by jp »

Unfortunately, scoring is broken in this game. There are a handful of places where you can milk enemies indefinitely with minimal skill (a good place is the Level 2/2.1 boss since you can have 11 stars there)... so a high score in this is absolutely meaningless (or at least, will be as more people figure this out, I'm fairly certain the HS for Arcade mode is a product of extensive milking).

Damn shame... :(

Edit:
On a second note, when you unlock the third gallery via unlocking trophies, the areas under it are for "SD Card Extra Content" (or something of that matter).

Strange, I never knew the Dreamcast could use SD Cards, especially considering that they were only talked about being created a year after the Dreamcast came out. :!:
Last edited by jp on Thu Jun 06, 2013 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

:lol:

second LOL of mine today
I feel cheap
jp

Post by jp »

So... anyone unlock the trophy for completing 4.2 without killing an enemy (except the boss)? I've done this on all three difficulties and it hasn't unlocked for me... :x
Stevas

Post by Stevas »

So I just received this. Play Asia order with Economy Airmail. Took two months.

Annnnnnnnnnnnd, now I'm wondering how long I'll have to wait for my SaiDaiOuJou...
VideoGameRescue

Post by VideoGameRescue »

I just got my copy today, so instead of staying sequential for my reviews (i.e. staying with a specific system to ensure that I do not skip games), I am going to work hard and try to make Sturmwind my review for next week. If I can't get it done in time, it will be Sine Mora since that one is done and on backup. So this weekend I will work on doing this.
louisg

Post by louisg »

I was just playing this over at deadtech's place, and mostly liked it! I don't think it has a lot of depth, but it's a good survival game with just a few minor issues regarding how predictable collisions are the first time through a level. But IMO it's a highly entertaining game. The pacing's not bad, and the bosses are *great*. I'm glad they're a focus of the game, because I think the designers have better boss design chops than enemy wave design/shot pattern chops. I'll have to get a copy for myself :)

I'm also not finding it too easy on normal settings, although I've never been terrific at R-Type/Gradius style shooters either.
Humans, think about what you have done
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

Ordered one Dec 23 2010, still no game.
And no answer from their support.

Scammed?
rtw

Post by rtw »

monouchi wrote:Ordered one Dec 23 2010, still no game.
Scammed?
Are you referring to RedSpot or PA ?
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

rtw wrote:
monouchi wrote:Ordered one Dec 23 2010, still no game.
Scammed?
Are you referring to RedSpot or PA ?
Ah, sorry, Redspot games.
soupbones

Post by soupbones »

Got mine a few weeks ago - and they accidentally sent me a deluxe version. :shock: 8)

Really like it - solid game. Amazing what they are getting out of the Dreamcast in the graphics/sound department! Minor complaint is the control options seemed screwed up for my U.S. DC stick - still havent figured out the proper set up...

Was it worth the headache? Sure, the game is great. But will never order from RS directly again. :|
Austin

Post by Austin »

Six month bump! Anyone else try this game? I purchased one recently and it arrived last week. My impressions are a bit mixed, although I have only made it a couple levels in and need to give it more time. Visually it is amazing, and gameplay wise it is very smooth and feels good. However, it's tough to know what can and cannot hurt you in the backgrounds. Also, I don't care for being punished for holding your charge shot for too long. But, like I said, I still need to play it more so I may get used to these things.
the2bears

Post by the2bears »

Still haven't received mine. I opened a ticket on their site, and they replied that they have no record. Asshats... I told them I have the receipt from Paypal, no response.

Anyone have an effective email address to use?

Bill
the2bears - the indie shmup blog
eatdogs

Post by eatdogs »

I got my copy through Hucast. They have it back on there now I think. Great game too. I've wanted it ever since I watched Mark from classic game room play it.
royalfan84

Post by royalfan84 »

I got my copy off of amazon and got it in about 8 or 9 days. They get copies of it on amazon from time to time ranging from 40 to 60 bucks. I paid 54 for mine. I've ordered a lot of games from Amazon and really never had any problems. (Fingers crossed)
RHE

Post by RHE »

I could sware I just have seen a Turrican sprite running in sprite 1.2 trough explosions when playing sturmwind :lol:

edit: there he is https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zy2k_i ... e&t=10m50s hahahaha (watch the score)
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

Hey kids -

If you're trying to get your hands on Sturmwind Play Asia currently has both the regular edition and the LE.

And they're on sale! $35 for the RE and $90 for the LE. A steal compared to Ebay.

http://www.play-asia.com/search/sturmwind

This is your chance if you've been looking.
My lord, I have come for you.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Stevens wrote:Hey kids -

If you're trying to get your hands on Sturmwind Play Asia currently has both the regular edition and the LE.

And they're on sale! $35 for the RE and $90 for the LE. A steal compared to Ebay.

http://www.play-asia.com/search/sturmwind

This is your chance if you've been looking.
Wow. Thank you for sharing this!!! Ordered. :)
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

just got this and played it, not sure if mentioned in a previous reply but not happy with the 30fps bosses.
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Enemy wrote:just got this and played it, not sure if mentioned in a previous reply but not happy with the 30fps bosses.
lol, considering what they managed to pull off in terms of visuals on a 15+ year old system without a giant team of people working on it, I think you'll be ok.
Austin

Post by Austin »

Enemy wrote:just got this and played it, not sure if mentioned in a previous reply but not happy with the 30fps bosses.
Pretty sure the whole game is locked at 30fps. Some of the bosses may actually be lower.

It's definitely weird, but you kind of get used to it. Sort of.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

don't be cry babies
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

Austin wrote:
Pretty sure the whole game is locked at 30fps. Some of the bosses may actually be lower.

It's definitely weird, but you kind of get used to it. Sort of.
Not locked at 30fps ... most of it is at 60fps just bosses are at 30fps .
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

ATTRACTS wrote:
lol, considering what they managed to pull off in terms of visuals on a 15+ year old system without a giant team of people working on it, I think you'll be ok.

Not sure i agree .. think from other games the dc is more than capable of running the whole game at 60fps