Max Credits in Border Down (DC)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Flare

Max Credits in Border Down (DC)

Post by Flare »

Hello guys; I just discovered this forum.

Hi have a question, I hope you can help me out.

Recently I've been playing Border Down for many hours; I managed to clear the norms on every level, but my problem is the last boss on the 6B, 6C and 6D levels. With the number of credits that I have I can't seem to keep up.

Do any of you guys know what is the rule to increase the number of MAX CREDITS? I started with 1; then I got 3 and now I'm maxed on 6. I'mnot sure if this is time based like Ikaruga or Trizeal.

Any ideas?
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

1cc or stfu! :shock:

:twisted:
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Not strategy-related, so moved to Shmups Chat.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
AOTD3025

Post by AOTD3025 »

It's a matter of time, at least from what I could tell. Eventually, it'll go to 9 and then freeplay. Note that going from 9 to Freeplay takes a long time.

-AOTD3025
Daigoro

Post by Daigoro »

AFXisatwin wrote:1cc or stfu! :shock:

what a warm greeting... :roll:
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Yeah time based but really, 6+ continues to beat the boss is quite a few dude. I wasted credits deliberately getting 50% in red to see the bosses but really they can beaten if you just keep your distance and reserve the beam for static patterns while keeping enough juice to stop the dam thing when its firing from behind you. use the old temp invincibility while first pressing fire to your advantage.

What do you think of the game though? I love it!
Vidi Vici Veni
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Just having a laugh. He probably understands. :)
Flare

Post by Flare »

Well, you guys are gonna be proud of me. :P

I did my homework these days; and yesterday I beat the game in 6B, 6C and 6D; with six credits. If I go on I might 1CC it but there are other DC shmups I have in my queue.

I understand this game now. It was all a matter of overcoming my fears; my fear of staying back because the ship would fire at me, my fear of not staying in front of a laser so I could BLS it. And the fear of risking death by reaching for those dangerous corners to avoid fire.

Again, I could now do the same in REMIX mode; but I think I should put it down and head over to Chaos Field; Zero Gunner 2 and Psyvariar 2; the three shmups in my queue. :wink:

Now the question is; which one I should take next. :?:
captain ahar

Post by captain ahar »

dreamcastwise... i think you should go for the 2-ALL in gunbird 2... with hei-cob. good luck, and happy playing! :D
I have no sig whatsoever.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Out of those three, I like Zero Gunner 2 the best.
It has that cool aim anywhere mechanic.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

how can you say "im done with this shmup" if you have only credit fed it to the end?!?!i dont understand this.... :oops: :oops:
go on with border down its a great game dont play anything else.if you think you could do a 1cc then DO IT!
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Sounds like another person who buys more shooters than he plays...not that there's anything wrong with that approach or anything.
Flare

Post by Flare »

I know, I know I shouldn't put it down until I absolutely master it.

I guess it's a matter of making the most out of my free time.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Heh, just for future reference, as long as you don't brag around here about "beating" a game unless you one-credit it, no one should give you a hard time about your playing style. ;) Welcome, btw. :)
Flare

Post by Flare »

Thanks, I didn't want my message to sound as bragging, because I certainly know I'm not that hardcore. Just a huge fan of shmups. :)
zinger

Post by zinger »

Flare wrote:I understand this game now. It was all a matter of overcoming my fears; my fear of staying back because the ship would fire at me, my fear of not staying in front of a laser so I could BLS it. And the fear of risking death by reaching for those dangerous corners to avoid fire.
Border Down has an ingenious system. It's incredibly well-designed and one of my favourite shooters of all time. Sorry to say this, but you can't grasp this game by playing it like that, it's like playing real-time strategy games with unlimited money and supplies.

I'd suggest trying to play a shooter for score atleast once, if you never have before, that is. Layer Section (Rayforce) was designed by the same people that developed Border Down, it has a simple but fun and thought through scoring system and the rank system isn't as mean as in BD. Check it out. :)
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Flare wrote:I know, I know I shouldn't put it down until I absolutely master it.

I guess it's a matter of making the most out of my free time.
Welcome to the forum, flare. Not to worry too much about the hardcore pressure to 1CC, it's true this community is mostly 1 credit focused but a love of shmups can take many forms. The fact that you imported games like Border Down (criminally undersold classic) already shows your passion for shmups is serious...
Flare wrote:I think I should put it down and head over to Chaos Field; Zero Gunner 2 and Psyvariar 2; the three shmups in my queue. :wink:

Psy2 has some insane bullet storms, and buzzing them is an addictive rush, which probably makes it the most intense experience of the three titles, so the other two might make good warm-up titles. :)

The thing to note about Psyvariar games is that you can blast through them in a relatively straightforward way if you aren't playing for score, but they become suddenly deep once you do.
"Thunder Force VI does not suck, shut your fucking mouth." ~ Shane Bettenhausen
Diabollokus

Post by Diabollokus »

Go for remix mode man at least to hear the different boss music in 6C and 6D + attack patterns.

Yeah zero gunner 2 rocks, very hard though. psyvaria 2 is a warm up in comparison!

Good choice of games :D
Vidi Vici Veni
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

Daigoro wrote:
AFXisatwin wrote:1cc or stfu! :shock:

what a warm greeting... :roll:
I was thinking more along the lines of an asshole greeting, but warm works fine-- as long as you mean overtly warm like the fires of hell....

But as long as he's just joking, it's all good. :P
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.
Zweihander

Post by Zweihander »

Flare wrote:I think I should put it down and head over to Chaos Field; Zero Gunner 2 and Psyvariar 2; the three shmups in my queue. :wink:

Ikaruga.

But if you're limiting the choice to just those three, I'd say Psyvariar 2. (however inferior to Psyvariar Revision it may be.) Seeing as Zero Gunner 2 is just another Psikyo game, and Chaos Field is...... Chaos Field. :?

Also, I agree with Thunder. You can simply blast your way through Psy 2, though it will get very boring, very quickly. With short levels, ungodly-slow-or-ungodly-fast bullet patterns, and a simplistic power-up system, it's obvious the game was designed solely for the people who love buzzing... myself included. 8)
Schrodinger's cat wrote:Yeah, "shmup" really sounds like a term a Jewish grandmother would insult you with.
Arcatech

Post by Arcatech »

Zero Gunner 2 plays completely different from the usual Psikyo fare.

How can you say its just another psikyo game?