NG:DEV.TEAM announce Kraut Buster

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
Pretas
Banned User

Re: NG:DEV.TEAM announce Kraut Buster

Post by Pretas »

No matter what the Gabe Newell Defense Force tries to spin, there are still tons of people who will pirate everything they can get their hands on, even if it's affordable, just because they can.

I'd also say that people interested in NG:DEV's games would be less inclined to pirate them than the average digital-only PC release, given that a large part of their appeal is the collectible value of physical games newly released for old hardware.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

RaidenViper wrote:PC indie titles are so affordable now these days. no reason to pirate them unless you are REALLY poor.
There are many who pirate simply because they can. Like the Humble Bundles, you can get several, often excellent games for under $5. People still pirate those.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Pretas wrote: Dreamcast games are not nearly as pirated as PC games. Compare the number of PC owners to Dreamcast owners.
So PC is a bigger market, and has a coorospondingly bigger pirate scene to match. I'm not following how this is worse from a total customers standpoint.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
system11

Post by system11 »

Jeneki wrote:
Pretas wrote: Dreamcast games are not nearly as pirated as PC games. Compare the number of PC owners to Dreamcast owners.
So PC is a bigger market, and has a coorospondingly bigger pirate scene to match. I'm not following how this is worse from a total customers standpoint.
Also making games for old hardware is cooler than making PC games. If I could make the same amount of money making a smaller number of sales on one platform with zero piracy vs the same money making lots of sales with lots of piracy, I'd choose option 1 just to spite the pirates. Fuck em.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

system11 wrote:I'd choose option 1 just to spite the pirates. Fuck em.
Actually, I like the way you think :) . I'd much rather play on DC or Neo as well.

I dunno, some days I'm glad that I'm not the one who has to make thise kind of decisions. I really do want to see these companies be successful.
Last edited by Jeneki on Thu Mar 26, 2015 9:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

The Neo Geo is a known quantity. Windows support for old apps going forward isn't. So long as they release a bug-free game, going forward they have no further customer support costs.

My only wish was that the Neo Geo had a much larger install base and didn't cost outrageous money.
undamned

Post by undamned »

Specineff wrote:You guys just don't understand.
Haha, yes! There was some gold in them hills! And for those of you who don't know your shmups history, anyone who opposes the mightiness of DUX (get it? Mighty DUX?) simply doesn't understand. This went on with RHE for about 8 zillion pages, with my favourite part being this:

http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 16#p361316

-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
BIL

Post by BIL »

A classic, that thread. Image
Udderdude wrote:THEY'RE ALL AFTER ME LUCKY CHARMS! :shock:
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Ed Oscuro wrote:
system11 wrote:I ordered one...
It's your money and you certainly don't owe me an explanation, but Christ, why? Are you in on the 1st April plan? :mrgreen:
Does it really matter? In a couple years a used copy will be worth more then a new copy now, so whatever he does he will come out winning.

Pretas wrote:No matter what the Gabe Newell Defense Force tries to spin, there are still tons of people who will pirate everything they can get their hands on, even if it's affordable, just because they can.
I will not be buying anything from Steam or Origin, wanna know why? Because you dont actually own anything that you buy from these places, go on try selling your steam account, you cant because you are basically renting the games. So basically you are just throwing your money on empty air and its gets blown away by the wind.

Games on Steam/Origin/Uplay are absolutely worthless, unlike something like Kraut Buster that I could resell years later for 2x, 3x, 4x etc the price I originally paid if I wanted, I can because I own the copy of the game I bought.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

^^So, playing good, properly made games are a waste of time too unless you truly own them? Me, I'd rather pay to play something awesome (Crimzon Clover for example) on Steam than shell out cash for something mediocre that's just gonna sit on a shelf just because it's worth more money. Personally, I prefer to use my precious time and what little disposable income I have on great games. YOLO.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Lawfer wrote:Games on Steam/Origin/Uplay are absolutely worthless
lmao. worthless to you maybe. some of us pay money for games because we want to play the game. not let let it rot on the shelves.
CulDad78

Post by CulDad78 »

It's not necessarily about value. It's a mindset; some folks can't enjoy something unless they can touch it, look it, and know it's theirs. When I borrow a game...I can't enjoy it as much as if it were my game. Not saying this is "normal", but it's how a lot of folks prefer it. Our precious.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

emphatic wrote:^^So, playing good, properly made games are a waste of time too unless you truly own them? Me, I'd rather pay to play something awesome (Crimzon Clover for example) on Steam than shell out cash for something mediocre that's just gonna sit on a shelf just because it's worth more money. Personally, I prefer to use my precious time and what little disposable income I have on great games. YOLO.
I actually own Crimzon Clover, the japanese physical release. I could list it on ebay if I so wanted, that wouldnt be the case if I had bought it on freaking Steam. Steam/Origin/Uplay is very conveniant for the big wigs, they sell the games and you can not resell the stuff, so no used markets for PC games.

And its about owning the games, you dont actually own Steam or Origin games, you can not resell them:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/s ... ?t=3257892

Like I said, they are worthless, you are basically throwing your money away on something invisible, that you dont own and therefore cannot resell and that you will never be able to get back.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Things aren't as important as what you can do with the time you have in your life. No matter how much money you spend or get, you can never get time back, so why waste it on something that's bad?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Lawfer wrote:I actually own Crimzon Clover, the japanese physical release. I could list it on ebay if I so wanted, that wouldnt be the case if I had bought it on freaking Steam. Steam/Origin/Uplay is very conveniant for the big wigs, they sell the games and you can not resell the stuff, so no used markets for PC games.
So do I, but I also got CCWI on steam and GOG, just because I want to support the dev (And it also is a significanlty polished version with 1.5 new gamemodes. Boost Mode is fucking brilliant.). Also the amount of money I spend on games is negligible in the grand scheme of things. I spend more money on books for example. But even there I don't really care if I could resell them. I would rather leave them on a train for some random person to pick up a book they might never have read otherwise.

I can see this whole "I own it, I can sell" point of view if you buy really expensive stuff like Cave PCBs, which you can play the shit out of and then sell on and get another PCB. But for games that cost less than a cinema ticket I don't care. I get more fun time out of those games than most movies could ever give me, and that is what counts for me.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Personally, I'm fine with paying $10-15 for a digital download. I mean that's only the price of a meal or two at a fast food joint nowadays.

Any higher than that, and I start to question the logic of paying so much money for a license that can be revoked or expire at any time.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

cave hermit wrote:Personally, I'm fine with paying $10-15 for a digital download. I mean that's only the price of a meal or two at a fast food joint nowadays.

Any higher than that, and I start to question the logic of paying so much money for a license that can be revoked or expire at any time.
That is why you can always check on places like Humble and GoG first, where you can get DRM free digital downloads which you can store wherever you want before installing them, and in the case of Humble you ALSO get a Steam key where it applies.
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

emphatic wrote:Things aren't as important as what you can do with the time you have in your life. No matter how much money you spend or get, you can never get time back, so why waste it on something that's bad?
Posting in this thread is a greater waste of time surely :D I'll decide if it's bad by playing it.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

SuperPang wrote:Posting in this thread is a greater waste of time surely :D I'll decide if it's bad by playing it.
While I agree, I'm not on "quality time" right now anyway, so If I wanted to, I could just stare into space right now and not care either. :lol:

I don't know how my posts here read to others, I'm not saying that people aren't free to do what they enjoy with their time or money, but me, I don't have the collector mentality, so I just play stuff then move on. Sure I won't sell my PCBs, but that's basically because I'm too lazy and/or have a sentimental attachment to them. Unless I get offered stupid money for them, that is.
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

emphatic wrote:Things aren't as important as what you can do with the time you have in your life. No matter how much money you spend or get, you can never get time back, so why waste it on something that's bad?
Then spend on something that you deem good? It doesnt have to be Kraut Buster, I just used it as an example for obvious reasons (I also would say that it doesnt really look interesting, but I was just saying that it will be rare and be worth money, so you could still buy it and come out winning out of it).

I am not rich at all, quite the contrary in fact, so if I buy a game that turns out to be crappy or that I just dont care for its a waste of money that could have gone on a good game and I am just happy if I can at least get my money back by reselling it one day, that is not an option with digital DRMed stuff.

cave hermit wrote:Any higher than that, and I start to question the logic of paying so much money for a license that can be revoked or expire at any time.
Exactly, but keep in mind that 15 + 15 + 15 + 15, when you add up becomes 60, the price of a retail game nowadays.

I bought Infamous: Second Son Collectors Edition for 80 bucks a year ago, I really didnt care for it at all, it was okay but quite meh especially in comparison to the first game, now if I wanted I could resell the Colectors Edition to 120 bucks or more, so I can come up winning in the end, that wouldnt have been an option if I bought it off the PSN instead.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Food is a waste of money too; you just end up shitting it out. That's why I always keep mine in jars in the garage, might be worth something someday...
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
drauch

Post by drauch »

That's why you just ramen all day, every day. Peanut butter to mix things up. Then just spend the rest on games.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

drauch wrote:That's why you just ramen all day, every day. Peanut butter to mix things up. Then just spend the rest on games.
Ha, this just reminds me when I was first living on my own when I was like 17 - I could do a weeks groceries on like 10-15 dollars. Canned beans - 3 for a dollar, mac and cheese - 4 for a dollar, 24 pack english muffins - 2 bux. Ah, the good old days.
spmbx

Post by spmbx »

So what's this text on their store about? Are they planning a platorm switch or something?
Due to a licensing/arcade platform change this game may be not available any more after the initial print in the MVS format. For now it will be available for pre order until 31th December 2015. AES pre orders are still scheduled. Our NEOGEO MVS/AES development continues. Details will come later this year.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Sounds like they're trying to do a digital release on modern consoles, like the failed Kickstarter for Gunlord on 3DS/Wii U.

I doubt they'll ever do another Dreamcast release. If they were once profitable for NG:DEV, they had ceased to be by the time Gunlord and Neo XYX came out on DC.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

If there IS a digital release on the modern consoles, I'm getting this on day one.
Letting M2 handle the Neo emulation would be a good idea.

I'm very sure that NGDT is done with Dreamcast. If they were not, we'd have seen a port of Razion.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

gameoverDude wrote:Letting M2 handle the Neo emulation would be a good idea.
They can't do a Neo emulation because it's not licensed by SNK Playmore. It would have to be reprogrammed for modern systems.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Do emulators need to be licensed though? My understanding is that emulators are fair game as long as they're not packaging bits of original code with it (such as BIOs). IIRC Sony failed to kill things like Bleem and Virtual Game Station via the courts, and when emulation sites get busted it's always because they're hosting ROMs.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Isn't it incredibly common knowledge that Neo-Geo emulators require a BIOS ROM to function?

M2 wouldn't accept a project from NG:DEV for all the feathers it would ruffle in the JP industry, anyway.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Ah, I've never tried NG emulation so I wasn't aware of it. I typically associate BIOs with disk-based games. :x
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS