NG:DEV.TEAM announce Kraut Buster

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
JBC

Post by JBC »

Cool Metal Slug homage from the guys that brought us Gunlord & Last Hope.

Website
Trailer

Godzilla was an inside job
Xyga

Re: NG:DEV.TEAM announce Kraut Buster

Post by Xyga »

Kraut
*facepalm* and :lol:

So far looks like an average MS clone... and damn those 'scanlined' screenshots look atrocious.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Wait, it's not April 1 yet...did somebody break an NDA to reveal this? :wink:
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It was kinda weird. I got their newsletter today and they are talking about it being their biggest project to date, 2 full time pixel artists and so on and it sounded really good. Then I watched the trailer and it was really underwhelming. Nowhere as impressive as Gunlord, Razion or their other titles.

Uninspired Metal Slug clone decribes it quite well - although I liked their previous games and certainly hope for the best.
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

My goodness the characters jump looks terrible.
dink

Post by dink »

It looks like a cheap flash-game version of Metal Slug. o.O
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Yeah, the organic characters are going to be difficult to animate, don't know why they'd consciously go that route when mechanized or semi-robotic things should be easier to deal with and also more believable as enemies than rampaging cows. But it's early days yet.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Yeah... that jump is too much. "Uninspired" is about as fitting as this gets. These dudes are way better than this.
BIL wrote: "Small sack, LOTS OF CUM" - Nikola Tesla
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

-I don't mind pure rip offs if it manages to stay on par with the source material. Considering most of the Metal Slugs after the first two were frequently questionable in many ways, a new good Metal Slug would not be unwelcome even if it's more of the same...

-...except given NG:DEV's more recent track record, and the way the demo currently looks, it's hard to hope that this game will be on par with MS 1 or X. At least, it does have a faster move speed, which is interesting, and a combo meter which could potentially add some nice depth to the run and gun genre if it is handled with care and not just tacked on.

-Kinda disappointed that the game is called Kraut Buster and set in 1936, but they're apparently scared to actually have you kill nazi's. I suppose "get all the hot chicks!" wouldn't mesh with a background of World War 2, but it still seems like it's stuck in an uncomfortable limbo of being edgy but not too edgy.

-Yeah that jumps looks off as hell.

All in all gonna give this some time to improve before I start flagrantly expecting the worst. Might be a decent game, might not. Time will tell.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Did NG:Dev team seriously use the Wilhelm scream as the death sound for every enemy soldier?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

cave hermit wrote:Did NG:Dev team seriously use the Wilhelm scream as the death sound for every enemy soldier?
Watched with the sound off, now I'm hype to watch it again when I have sound back.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

My first thought when I saw the title was "what game are they imitating this time?"

I wouldn't mind if SNK pulled an Atari on the Hellwigs.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

I'm detecting strong anti-German undertones in this game, look the character you control looks totally Greek, it's a commie plot !
Der Varoufakis-Mittelfinger ist echt!
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

This will sell. Because Neo Geo :roll:
KAI

Post by KAI »

A MS clone...running on the MVS...dat irony.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

RaidenViper wrote:This will sell. Because Neo Geo :roll:
This.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

What happened to the promised Ikari Warriors homage? Did they decide that a ghetto Slug clone would resonate better with the Neo cart collectors' market that they're now exclusively catering to?

The Wilhelm Scream has to be a placeholder. I hope. Regardless, I'd take IGS's Demon Front over this any day.
Last edited by Pretas on Thu Mar 19, 2015 4:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
drauch

Post by drauch »

Wow, yeah; watched the first time with the sound off. Dear god, hope that's just for testing purposes. :lol:
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Holy god this looks terrible. That Karnov-style triangle jump is just the most pathetic thing.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hottest shit since TREASURE OF THE CARIBBEAN

ps - AES fans check out these other hot news softs, pending snapcases! paypal me your cash and g̶e̶t̶ ̶f̶u̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ get yours first! Best regards, BIL

BIL:RZR.TEAM announce

Sonic Wings 2: AERO FIGHTERS 3

NAM 1975 2: Uncleben no Densetsu

Beast Busters 2: Bustin In Yo Mama Face

Treasure of the Arabia (NWS 18+ ONLY)

Ecco JR-TYPE 2 (NWS 18+ ONLY)
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

LOL
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
JBC

Post by JBC »

Holy shit lol ^^^
Pretas wrote:What happened to the promised Ikari Warriors homage?
It's still coming. Takes place in the same world as Kraut Buster ala Last Hope/Gunlord.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Looks like a metal slug sprite hack, and a bad one at that.

Why play this junk when I can just play the real Metal Slug games?
cicada88

Post by cicada88 »

Metal Slug x Donkey Kong Country ROM Hack
RHE

Post by RHE »

I can see the problem with the sprites but the backgrounds are beautiful :!:
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Isn't NG dev team based out of Germany? I'm pretty sure there are laws there restricting any explicit portrayal of the Nazis.

Actually, it's kinda like how Capcom made the 19XX games about fighting off imperial Japanese soldiers :/

Anyway, I digress: The thing about making a game riding off of the success of another is that you need to either make the game more polished than the one you're aping, or you have to build some interesting innovations onto the base design.

Kraut Buster isn't anywhere near the quality of the metal slug games in terms of gameplay and presentation, and unless the scoring is particularly interesting, there's pretty much no difference in the basic gameplay from what I see.

Kraut Buster is basically a poor man's Metal slug, which is ironic given that the target audience consists of collectors for niche consoles with disposable income.
JBC

Post by JBC »

WIP stands for 'Work In Progress', for those who don't seem to know.

I really like that NG: DEV make these kinds of games. They aren't knock-offs, they are loveletters - both to the originals & fans of those games. In the year 2015 AD we can buy a brand new cart for Neo-Geo & I think that's pretty cool myself.

It's also only made by a handful of people with no real budget, unlike Metal Slug.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Not saying NG:DEV suck, no, what they do is awesome, but this time it looks quite below their standards, actually like a cheap clone/hack with a bad name.

Even if it's WIP I wouldn't expect them to significantly redraw and re-animate everything into something finer and more original in its design.

Anyway I don't have the cash to buy their AES/MVS games so I should just shut it now. :mrgreen:
drauch

Post by drauch »

There comes a point though, when things like homage and love letters become blurred into shameful reproduction and forgery. Take out the character sprites and this would look like it was ripped straight from Metal Slug. That would be complimentary if it didn't look EXACTLY like it. If they were making a game like Metal Slug but made it their own, I'd be all for it, but this just looks like a copy/paste job, excluding the character sprites. As others have stated, this simply looks just like a romhack. Why play what is more than likely an inferior product that looks like Metal Slug when I could just play the real thing?

Granted, yeah, this is a WIP, but you probably shouldn't showcase a product you plan on selling with Wilhelm screams and Halo jump physics and not expect some sort of backlash.
jonny5

Post by jonny5 »

Those pics look like Shock Troopers 2 meets Metal Slug. Backgrounds look nice though.