STG Live Stream Index

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Bananamatic

Re: STG Live Stream Index

Post by Bananamatic »

http://www.twitch.tv/bananamatic

ketsui, CCWI, SDOJ, futari 1.5
almost always hardest difficulty
Hardbody

Post by Hardbody »

Austin

Post by Austin »

I just started streaming a few weeks ago. I don't focus on shmups specifically and don't intend to have my name on the main list here, but I figured I'd post a link here regardless in case anyone is interested in checking it out. In my first few streams I ran through Android Assault on the Sega CD as well as Thunder Force IV on the Mega Drive. In my stream session last week I played through most of Silver Surfer on the NES. More shmups to come, but I will be doing a lot of different types of games. http://www.twitch.tv/amackert
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

http://www.twitch.tv/nasty_wolverine

Shmups and 8/16 bit games.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
roguestar

Post by roguestar »

Quick question for all the streamers; are people in this forum interested in streaming shmups in development? (testing builds and such)
nasty_wolverine

roguestar wrote:Quick question for all the streamers; are people in this forum interested in streaming shmups in development? (testing builds and such)
some do...
leadwing85

Post by leadwing85 »

a friend helped me set up a stream on ol' twitch, so now I can be like the cool kids :P

http://www.twitch.tv/leadwing85

I have STG ADD, its difficult for me to play just one STG for extended amounts of time (maybe this is why I have so few 1CCs under my belt, but its how I most enjoy games). I like all STGs, but I think I might favor cave most.

I plan on losing my Batrider virginity tonight, ive heard a lot of talk about how great it is, and having played the garegga port on Saturn quite a bit, I think im ready to try batrider
Long Live STG!
Austin

Post by Austin »

leadwing85 wrote:a friend helped me set up a stream on ol' twitch, so now I can be like the cool kids :P
http://www.twitch.tv/leadwing85
Looking good!
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

http://www.twitch.tv/shmuppyLove

Variety, but usually STGs
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

http://www.twitch.tv/iconoclast89/

Set up a twitch stream now that I have a good Internet connection. I'm not sure how often I'll be playing shumps to be honest, but for now I'm trying to learn Dodonpachi Daioujou with B-EX. I should warn everybody, though - I'll probably be listening to bad music whenever I play DOJ.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I'm thinking about downloading OBS and joining Twitch: I've been swamped with college work lately, but spring break starts this Friday for me so maybe I'll make my streaming debut Friday night!

I'll probably stream some Death roulette attempts, maybe Garegga or Cosmo gang, space bomber, really any shmup I feel like playing, and maybe even some non-shmups (tetris grand master or some rougelikes probably, maybe Mario 3mix). Hell, I'll probably hop on mumble and take suggestions from you guys!

Anyway if I do end up streaming I'll make another post here and in IRC!
iconoclast

Post by iconoclast »

^ Go for it, I'm definitely glad I started streaming. I don't get as frustrated as I do when I'm just sitting here grinding out credits on my own, plus I'm more motivated to play for (much) longer periods of time. More people should hop on board the twitch train.

The only problem for me is that when I watch my past broadcasts, I can barely make out anything I say lolol. I guess I need to speak louder and/or get a better mic.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

http://www.twitch.tv/solunas

My computer can't handle the demands of streaming but that won't stop me from trying! Will probably be mostly Death Roulette and whatever I happen to be practicing (which for now is Armed Police Batrider and Battle Garegga). Feel free to tune in if you enjoy watching scrub-tier play.

I also tried to get a mic set up, but gave up on it after a lot of futile attempts to get it to sound decent - I might just need a better mic, and a better voice.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

iconoclast wrote:^ Go for it, I'm definitely glad I started streaming. I don't get as frustrated as I do when I'm just sitting here grinding out credits on my own, plus I'm more motivated to play for (much) longer periods of time. More people should hop on board the twitch train.
The only problem for me is that when I watch my past broadcasts, I can barely make out anything I say lolol. I guess I need to speak louder and/or get a better mic.
I used to play at arcades a lot, and the social side of arcade gaming makes it much more fun for me. Streaming is almost a decent substitute for it, as it is like having a lot of people watching over your shoulder and chatting with you as you play. It's also a pretty easy way to record your sessions for review. :3
If you have second-hand gaming stores around, you can probably find a decent headset for cheap. I picked up a Turtle Beach P11 (X360/PS3/PC) headset for about £20 and it's worth it. You don't need to buy a crazy expensive headset or dedicated mic unless you have a particular setup for your stream in mind.

Nice to see more people setting up for streaming, and joining the small but growing STG community on Twitch.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Well I tried streaming a little bit for the first time yesterday, and it didn't really go very well. 3 or so people showed up for a few minutes, quickly left without me noticing, then I was left alone for the rest of the night with the exception of chempop and system11 stopping in to watch a credit of Thunder Dragon 2.

Also I'm apparently unable to form a coherent sentence on stream for whatever reason, so from now on I'm probably not going to be commentating on my streams; I have trouble talking IRL since I tend to think faster than I talk, and I doubt trying to describe what's happening while playing an intense shmup is going to go well.

Anyway if you want to see my channel it's here: http://www.twitch.tv/cavehermit

You can expect me to mostly play assorted shmups and Tetris the grand master. However lately I've been getting into Thunder dragon 2, so you might see me playing that more often.

I may occasionally play roguelikes or MOBAs as well.
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Don't worry about it! Viewer numbers can be wildly different from day to day, depending on a ton of external factors. If you just keep doing it on a semi-regular basis, people will like to drop in more when they're more familiar with you and the type of games you play. Even if you never get a ton of concurrent viewers (even the bigger STG streams seem to only get 10-20 concurrent when I'm watching), it's still a lot of fun hanging out with just a few familiar faces dropping in to cheer you on here and there.

I have some problems talking too, mostly because when I'm focusing on the game, I can't hold any complex conversations, and when I'm focusing on talking, I start doing worse in-game. :lol: It's just a matter of getting a feel for how to balance the two, I guess, and that just comes with practice.

I gave you a follow; you'd be surprised how many times there's only one (or zero!) channels streaming STGs when I go to Twitch. :)
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Additionally, I noticed you kept stopping and starting your stream; you'll get and keep more viewers if just stream for one (or maybe two) big block in a day.

Updating the stream list now.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Should probably mention that the easiest way for a lot of people to find active shmups streams on Twitch is though http://stgrillz.appspot.com/.
So to all the people that have just set up a stream, I'd advise you go on there, register your stream on it, and use [stg] in your stream title.

Also agreeing with trap15 in that streaming either in a decently sized block, or setting up a regular stream schedule, is the best way to attract people to your stream.
That, and actually interacting with other active channels - no one will know who you are if you don't make an effort to pop in to an active stream, say hi, and take part in the discussion.
nasty_wolverine

Icarus wrote:Should probably mention that the easiest way for a lot of people to find active shmups streams on Twitch is though http://stgrillz.appspot.com/.
So to all the people that have just set up a stream, I'd advise you go on there, register your stream on it, and use [stg] in your stream title.
this should be sticky somewhere
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

nasty_wolverine wrote:
Icarus wrote:Should probably mention that the easiest way for a lot of people to find active shmups streams on Twitch is though http://stgrillz.appspot.com/.
this should be sticky somewhere
The site's mentioned at the top of this thread, though admittedly I saw it once before and forgot about it until now.

Also, thanks to everybody who tuned into my stream yesterday! I wasn't really paying attention to the viewer count, but I know at least a couple of you were there for that last run (speaking of which, SCREW DISCHARGE).
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I did a fairly long Bosconian stream yesterday: There were plenty of tough moments that I managed to get through, and I actually had my highest scoring run (about 200k)! At first I thought I had 8 whole viewers, but then I realized there was a speck on my screen and there were actually 2 viewers. Eventually one of them left, but there was one person who watched me for 3 credits, silently cheering me on as I played through tense moments. After I stopped streaming I realized that the viewer was still there, even 10 minutes later. Apparently he stopped watching a long time ago and just never left the channel :(

Also I was going to register for that stggrillz site, but Twitch mentioned that doing so would grant it permission to see my email address and display it.
nasty_wolverine

consider the following. aquas, icarus, softdrink and the others have been playing for years. you are a new kid on the block, i am sure they went through the same thing. Actually I am going through the same thing, max number of watchers i had was 3. dont get disappointed continue streaming, eventually people will come. also get a mic, people love hearing the player.
cave hermit wrote: Also I was going to register for that stggrillz site, but Twitch mentioned that doing so would grant it permission to see my email address and display it.
its okay considering so many on there never having a problem with it.
pokemon123

Post by pokemon123 »

nasty_wolverine wrote:consider the following. aquas, icarus, softdrink and the others have been playing for years. you are a new kid on the block, i am sure they went through the same thing. Actually I am going through the same thing, max number of watchers i had was 3. dont get disappointed continue streaming, eventually people will come. also get a mic, people love hearing the player.
cave hermit wrote: Also I was going to register for that stggrillz site, but Twitch mentioned that doing so would grant it permission to see my email address and display it.
its okay considering so many on there never having a problem with it.

not if you're 13 like me XD
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

nasty_wolverine wrote:consider the following. aquas, icarus, softdrink and the others have been playing for years. you are a new kid on the block, i am sure they went through the same thing. Actually I am going through the same thing, max number of watchers i had was 3. dont get disappointed continue streaming, eventually people will come. also get a mic, people love hearing the player.
If anything, it's less about the amount of people you get in at once, and more about the amount of people who come back to watch you regularly. While I stream purely for the enjoyment of it, I also do it because it's a good way to get people together to chat, and it's nice to see people coming back to the channel to hang out. Some people are becoming part of the furniture :lol:

So yeah, I agree, don't get hung up on getting a billion viewers in at once.

Also, T4N3 plays Ketsui on occasion. http://www.twitch.tv/t4n3
Give him a follow.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

here's a tip
don't practice, stream only full runs

the moment i take a break to practice, everyone leaves (and when I played a credit again everyone came back somehow)
STG4WD

Post by STG4WD »

Has anyone here experimented with Host Mode on Twitch?

Basically allows you to run someone else's stream through your channel.
#STG4WD>>
nasty_wolverine

STG4WD wrote:Has anyone here experimented with Host Mode on Twitch?

Basically allows you to run someone else's stream through your channel.
I think thats for partners only...
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

nasty_wolverine wrote:I think thats for partners only...
Nope, anyone can host.
Chats aren't linked, though, so people can either chat in your channel, or the hosted channel.
STG4WD

Post by STG4WD »

Is there a thread to discuss hardware for streaming, how to make overlays etc?

I've seen e.g. Aquas coming with some sick overlays recently...
#STG4WD>>
STG4WD

Post by STG4WD »

STG4WD wrote:Is there a thread to discuss hardware for streaming, how to make overlays etc?

I've seen e.g. Aquas coming with some sick overlays recently...
If there isn't one already, any suggestions on which sub-forum to use if we set one up?

Hardware? Or just Shmups Chat?
#STG4WD>>