Project HAS - my take on designing a single PCB supergun

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
RGB

Project HAS - my take on designing a single PCB supergun

Post by RGB »

Super late, as my goal was to release this before 2014 year end, but it's finally here.

Description

Home Arcade System, HAS for short, is my newest supergun. The idea was to have a relatively small PCB-type supergun but packed with some useful features, like button layout remapping, autofire and hassle-free power supply connection.

Specifications
  • NeoGeo controller ports with extended pinout for buttons 5 and 6.
  • Full button remapping and VSYNC synchronized autofire - it's 100% based on my previous project RECO and all features remain unchanged:
    • 6 button inputs and 6 fully configurable outputs for both Player 1 and 2.
    • VSYNC is extracted from the PCB game’s SYNC line for the ultimate compatibility and stability. There are 6 different VSYNC synchronised autofire rates to choose from.
    • 6 different VSYNC synchronised autofire rates to choose from.
    • Allows to access the PCB game’s test mode by using a combination of buttons.
    • New button layout and autofire settings are saved and stored in the microcontroller’s internal memory and stay in the memory even after disconnecting HAS.
    • Lagless.
    • Indicator LEDs.
    • more information
  • Kick harness connector to connect to PCB games that use more buttons.
  • RGB video output via a 8pin mini DIN connector and audio out via a 3.5mm jack. Audio also goes via mini DIN, but is being overridden by the 3.5mm jack connector the moment you plug in a jack cable. This allows to run audio via a separate cable to reduce noise and interference. It's also really easy to interface with PCB games that output stereo audio via external connectors (like the CPS1.5, CPS2 etc). Furthermore, the 8pin mini DIN has the same pinout as the XRGB mini and you can connect HAS to XRGB mini using a direct (1:1) 8pin mini DIN cable.
  • Brightness regulation via one dial in order to get perfect colour balance.
  • Safe audio attenuation circuit with volume regulation and option to disable attenuation and use JAMMA aplified audio.
  • Test and Service buttons.
  • 4pin DIN connector to connect the external power supply.
  • additional 6pin connector to connect an arcade power supply if needed.
  • The microcontroller is socketed should there ever be a need to replace it.
  • Laser cut 4mm acrylic glass covers for top and bottom to protect the electronics.
  • All necessary connectors, buttons and dials are accessible from the sides of the PCB.

Availability

There are only 10 sets built (12 couting units for my own use :)) and there won't be more. Sales thread.
undamned

Re: Project HAS - my take on designing a single PCB supergun

Post by undamned »

Looking super clean, sir! :D
-ud
Righteous Super Hero / Righteous Love
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Very nice, but I've wanted to see some self-healing fuses on all the lines in a product like this. Worthy of a purchase all the same!
mvsfan

Post by mvsfan »

This is awesome. This would be just what i need when i eventually build an mv-1c console.

right now ive got a whole bin full of mvs carts and nothing to play them on since my 2 slot board quit working again.

Nice work on that supergun.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Too many expensive things I need to buy right now, or I'd get one of these in a heartbeat.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
microjackson

Post by microjackson »

Looks very nice and clean. Nice work!
limpan

Post by limpan »

This supergun is just so beautiful, can't wait for mine to arrive. Thanks for your dedicated work, RGB! 8)
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Why are you limiting it to such a small run? I can't afford such luxuries at the moment but a guy can dream... or not seeing as they'll all be sold out in a few days :?
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
RGB

Post by RGB »

BuckoA51 wrote:Why are you limiting it to such a small run? I can't afford such luxuries at the moment but a guy can dream... or not seeing as they'll all be sold out in a few days :?
Hey BuckoA51. The reason is obviously the lack of time. 10 is a small number, but remember it's just a hobby for me. If there is enough interest I can consider doing another batch, maybe a bit bigger, depending on the number of people interested.
BuckoA51

Post by BuckoA51 »

Fair enough. I remember a few years back when things were better financially I was actually looking at Superguns and the choice had got extremely limited. Yours looks exactly like what I wanted back then.
OSSC Forums - http://www.videogameperfection.com/forums
Please check the Wiki before posting about Morph, OSSC, XRGB Mini or XRGB3 - http://junkerhq.net/xrgb/index.php/Main_Page
badwhite40

Post by badwhite40 »

If helps, i´d take another one
ifog

Post by ifog »

Impressive work as usual !
If there's a second batch, can we imagine a modified version with the possibility to configure the colors separately ?
I would definitely buy one .
STG

Post by STG »

Got to play with one of these amazing creations after work tonight, hooked up DSMBL to it and was immediately impressed. The Saturn pad to Neo-Geo adapter is really cool! Incredible work as always RGB, after using it now I want one! :D

And I did accidentally install the acrylic the wrong way, my mistake! :oops:
limpan

Post by limpan »

Came home from vacation and picked this bad boy up at the post office yesterday. Impressive work, RGB. So slick and stylish looking. Thanks a lot! :D

Here's a little test video I made using the iPhone. The HAS supergun is hooked up directly to a XRGB-mini using a 8 pin mini din cable: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sydwYl2Bywg
RGB

Post by RGB »

Update.
There will be another batch in a few weeks. I'm not really sure how many I should order, so to help me estimate the quantity, just PM if you're interested and I'll make a pseudo pre-order list.

This time I won't be able to offer any external PSU, so the power connector that you can see now will be removed and the white 6pin connector will be moved to the side for easier access.
SNK-NEO-GEO

Post by SNK-NEO-GEO »

PM sent. I would like to be added to the list. Thank you!
The Future Is Now
yojo!

Post by yojo! »

I'm really impressed with this unit; I own a Sigma AV7000 and thought it to be the ultimate/Rolls Royce of Superguns; not anymore!. The video quality is superb; games with weird sync signals (early 80s data east / konami games like Karnov, Break Thru, Jail Break) that have the very top of their image distorted with my Sigma , now display a clean picture with HAS! And the autofire is built in ! Really great stuff!
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

Lightning strikes twice, think I'd better make the best of that.

In terms of the PSU, what was the unit that shipped four the four-pin connector? I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of that versus the 6-pin option for a real arcade PSU - which I expect would be superior except it loses in portability of the form factor.
RGB

Post by RGB »

Ed Oscuro wrote:Lightning strikes twice, think I'd better make the best of that.

In terms of the PSU, what was the unit that shipped four the four-pin connector? I'm trying to figure out the pros and cons of that versus the 6-pin option for a real arcade PSU - which I expect would be superior except it loses in portability of the form factor.
The PSU was a really cool Phihong "made in Taiwan" 5V/4A and 12V/1.5A PSU, which unfortunately was discontinued.
venchia3

Post by venchia3 »

PM sent :)
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

RGB wrote:The PSU was a really cool Phihong "made in Taiwan" 5V/4A and 12V/1.5A PSU, which unfortunately was discontinued.
I got it. Unfortunately this might also increase the money required to get one of these up and running - I'm still interested though. In fact I imagine going to regular arcade PSUs will prevent suppliers pulling the rug out again :)
kebrank

Post by kebrank »

PM Sent yesterday :). I really believe this is now the best supergun out there. The only thing that i would love to see added is a voltmeter display for the 5v line.
Thanks,
\o/.k.
RGB

Post by RGB »

kebrank wrote:The only thing that i would love to see added is a voltmeter display for the 5v line.
Thanks,
\o/.k.
This is happening as well :)
kebrank

Post by kebrank »

Then, this is it. The perfect supergun is here :)
\o/.k.
ifog

Post by ifog »

RGB wrote:
kebrank wrote:The only thing that i would love to see added is a voltmeter display for the 5v line.
Thanks,
\o/.k.
This is happening as well :)
Great!
Could you list all the differences between the first version and the futur batch ?
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

I can't seem to find the price in this thread, or your sales thread (am I going blind?) ...what will you be selling these for?
badwhite40

Post by badwhite40 »

I am IN
RGB

Post by RGB »

ifog wrote:Could you list all the differences between the first version and the futur batch ?
It comes without a PSU this time, so I removed the blocky power connector and put the 6PIN connector to the side. There will be a LED voltmeter with a jumper to switch between measured voltage (+5V/+12V). All units will come with an acrylic glass cover for top and bottom.
opt2not wrote:I can't seem to find the price in this thread, or your sales thread (am I going blind?) ...what will you be selling these for?
I will announce it when I have everything ready :)

This time I won't be able to offer my AV cables due to a really high USD rate (I used to order parts from the US), at least not from the start. However, HAS is compatible with the NESRGB cables offered by viletim and he offers them cheaper than I ever could:
http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=2& ... how_detail
http://etim.net.au/shop/shop.php?crn=2& ... how_detail
airs

Post by airs »

Very nice. I'd like to order a unit when you make them available.
mr_han_man

Post by mr_han_man »

Hey RGB, I found this thread after a lot of reading around for where to buy a supergun and your name was mentioned a lot - now I see why. I am new to the forum, so apologies if it's not appropriate to post the request here, but I would be very interested in purchasing one of the new HAS models if still available? Thanks in advance.