Audio Authority 9A60

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Lord of Pirates

Audio Authority 9A60

Post by Lord of Pirates »

I've tried feeding it all manner of signals and nothing wants to work. Any suggestions?
Fudoh

Re: Audio Authority 9A60

Post by Fudoh »

So, what exactly do you want to connect to what devices ?

The 9A60 requires very specific timings on it's input, otherwise the outputs are too far off from the SMTPE timings your component inputs are expecting.
Lord of Pirates

Fudoh wrote:So, what exactly do you want to connect to what devices ?

The 9A60 requires very specific timings on it's input, otherwise the outputs are too far off from the SMTPE timings your component inputs are expecting.
I had planned on using it to get RGB on my IA, it was mentioned here: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46781.

I tried checking if it was working with a DC and my IA at various resolutions. Am I just being stupid or something?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You certainly have a HD LCD or plasma at home ? Just try it with a DC there (component into the TV set). The DC's VGA output is highly overpowered, so it doesn't work well with most transcoders or converters.

I never tried to transcode 15khz signals with an AA, but it certainly sounds like a plan. Still I'd also test that on a standard TV set first.
Lord of Pirates

Fudoh wrote:You certainly have a HD LCD or plasma at home ? Just try it with a DC there (component into the TV set). The DC's VGA output is highly overpowered, so it doesn't work well with most transcoders or converters.

I never tried to transcode 15khz signals with an AA, but it certainly sounds like a plan. Still I'd also test that on a standard TV set first.
VGA directly into the TV works fine, if that's what you mean?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

No, I mean DC > AA > TV.
Lord of Pirates

Fudoh wrote:No, I mean DC > AA > TV.
Oh, I already tried with two TVs.
parodius

Post by parodius »

Just in case, if you didn't get an original power adapter, make sure it's got the correct specs, should be 12V DC negative center.
I received mine recently, and the power adapter I got with it was 15V DC positive center... the seller probably gave me a random one without testing it.

Anyway, with an adequate adapter I got it working using 480p from a DC VGA box, and 240p from a Super Famicom through Sync Strike.
With the SFC it gave me better quality than with my CSY-2100 when passing YUV to my XRGB-Mini, although it might be due to the Sync Strike rather than the AA. Now I have almost no visible video interference, and I got rid of a small bending at the top of the image.
My sales thread : 2020/07/20..MASTER.VER.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

LOL-- this must be the problem with the "DOA" model I just bought off of Ebay. After making sure I had 12 v from the power supply, (which indeed had a positive center!), and getting 0 volts from anything past the initial diode that is inline with the power jack center pin, I checked the voltage across the diode and its got basically the entire 12 volts.

I suspected the polarity issue you speak of, but I swear the cathode of that diode is facing away from the center pin on the power jack-- so I just figured it might be something else. I was about to call AA to open a technical /troubleshooting inquiry, but I think I'll just cut and transpose the wires from the power supply and try that first.

Strange that they designed it for a negative center pin, Im sure the whole reason behind the diode in series with it is to prevent damage when connected to a standard positive center pin.

Im working late today, will try when I get back if I get a chance...
mickcris

Post by mickcris »

Josh128 wrote:LOL-- this must be the problem with the "DOA" model I just bought off of Ebay. After making sure I had 12 v from the power supply, (which indeed had a positive center!), and getting 0 volts from anything past the initial diode that is inline with the power jack center pin, I checked the voltage across the diode and its got basically the entire 12 volts.

I suspected the polarity issue you speak of, but I swear the cathode of that diode is facing away from the center pin on the power jack-- so I just figured it might be something else. I was about to call AA to open a technical /troubleshooting inquiry, but I think I'll just cut and transpose the wires from the power supply and try that first.

Strange that they designed it for a negative center pin, Im sure the whole reason behind the diode in series with it is to prevent damage when connected to a standard positive center pin.

Im working late today, will try when I get back if I get a chance...
If they are anything like the power input circuits on the 1154s, you may need to replace the diode and a power amplifier. I bought some off of ebay that someone tried to daisy chain the power inputs together and fried them all. all needed the diode and an LM386N-4 replaced. Not exactly sure what the person did though, they may have applied an extremely high amount of voltage along with the wrong polarity. If it still doesn't work after correcting the polarity, you may want to check here.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

It's supposed to work with all refresh rates, since it simply transcodes the color space and doesn't alter the sync. I've used my 9A60 to play 480p dreamcast games on a Sony HDTV, and I've used it to play SNES Jr, Genesis, and Saturn games on a 15hz Sony TV. All of those consoles were outputting clean sync (not composite video), and I made a cable that sent the C-sync signal to both the H and V lines.

And what does "IA" stand for?

EDIT FROM THE FUTURE: Actually nowadays I'm just running c-sync to the v-sync input on the 9A60, leaving h-sync unconnected, and it works just as well.
Last edited by BazookaBen on Mon Feb 10, 2020 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

BazookaBen wrote:It's supposed to work with all refresh rates, since it simply transcodes the color space and doesn't alter the sync. I've used my 9A60 to play 480p dreamcast games on a Sony HDTV, and I've used it to play SNES Jr, Genesis, and Saturn games on a 15hz Sony TV. All of those consoles were outputting clean sync (not composite video), and I made a cable that sent the C-sync signal to both the H and V lines.

Success!! Clipped the wires of the PSU and transposed them-- worked like a charm!! Played a little Dreamcast through it on the plasma, looks FANTASTIC.

Really surprised to hear it will convert RGBs to component if you send the sync to both H and V pins. If that works, wouldnt it work to just send it to the V pin?

If thats the case, this thing could just replace the CSY-2100 clone for all intents and purposes, if you had the right cables. All I know is it produces a phenomenal picture, EASILY on par with GC component or even PC HDMI at 480p. I did notice the DC picture is shifted slightly to the right in 4:3 mode, and has small black borders. Not a problem, looks great when using black borders on the TV.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

So far mine has accepted everything I've thrown at it;
DC VGA
XRGB-2 & 3
A couple old Vigatec scalers.

If something's not right it must be either the power source, cabling or the potentiometer inside -> to anyone experiencing trouble: have you tried turning it clockwise and counter-clockwise ?
Most users had to turn it all the way counterclock to get an image, centered and stable.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

Xyga wrote:So far mine has accepted everything I've thrown at it;
DC VGA
XRGB-2 & 3
A couple old Vigatec scalers.

If something's not right it must be either the power source, cabling or the potentiometer inside -> to anyone experiencing trouble: have you tried turning it clockwise and counter-clockwise ?
Most users had to turn it all the way counterclock to get an image, centered and stable.
I wonder if tweaking the pot would shift the entire screen over to the left?--Its slightly off center.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Josh128 wrote:I wonder if tweaking the pot would shift the entire screen over to the left?--Its slightly off center.
Depends on the display and the source.

Some scalers or whatever external devices have their own settings or specs with a direct or indirect influence on horizontal position.
On my setup (XRGB-2/3 + AA + Sony W6) I have to turn it almost all the way left, not '0%', but maybe 3-4% to get the picture right in the center of the screen, so I still have a bit of course remaining on the left side if needed.

Also I didn't mention it before but looks like there's a 'sweet spot' for me between 'too much left' (0%) and 'better centered but slightly shifted up by maybe two lines' (about 4-5%).

Still, always remember that depends on the source, some require I block it a 0%, other about 3%, etc.
I plan to add some kind of knob on the case so I don't have to use a screwdriver every time.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Lord of Pirates

BazookaBen wrote:It's supposed to work with all refresh rates, since it simply transcodes the color space and doesn't alter the sync. I've used my 9A60 to play 480p dreamcast games on a Sony HDTV, and I've used it to play SNES Jr, Genesis, and Saturn games on a 15hz Sony TV. All of those consoles were outputting clean sync (not composite video), and I made a cable that sent the C-sync signal to both the H and V lines.

Image Anyplace.

You could stick an Extron between the DC and the 9A60 center it with that, right?
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Lord of Pirates wrote:
You could stick an Extron between the DC and the 9A60 center it with that, right?
Probably, but I've never tried it.

Have you tried using your 9a60 without the Image Anyplace in the chain?
Lord of Pirates

BazookaBen wrote:
Lord of Pirates wrote:
Probably, but I've never tried it.

Have you tried using your 9a60 without the Image Anyplace in the chain?
I've long since returned it, I bought it after having dealt with a bunch of bad sellers on several previous purchases (items not shipping, not responding after I sent payment, etc.) and I was too annoyed to want to deal with it. In hindsight I should have kept it and sussed out whatever the problem was.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

Haha, I just realized how old the original post is. Whatever, we still have some worthwhile information in the thread.
Josh128

Post by Josh128 »

It certainly helped me out!
simbin

Post by simbin »

I'm using the 9A60 for my Dreamcast and it's freaking great!

As the 9A60 passes signals without conversion, would it be possible to make a custom RGBHV cable for the Sega Saturn to pass 240p over component?
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

simbin

Post by simbin »

Would it be possible to wire RGB directly, then c-sync to both h&v-sync on the 9A60, like this guy describes with the MVS?
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthrea ... deo-anyone
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

simbin wrote:
Would it be possible to wire RGB directly, then c-sync to both h&v-sync on the 9A60, like this guy describes with the MVS?
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying in: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1074121
simbin

Post by simbin »

BazookaBen wrote:
simbin wrote:
Yes, that's exactly what I'm saying in: http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.ph ... 1#p1074121
Terrific! I was reading adapter as converter, not cable - My bad.
simbin

Post by simbin »

BazookaBen wrote:
simbin wrote:
Only took me a year to try this LOL

My expectations were low but THIS ACTUALLY WORKS!

I get 6-7 faint (yellowish) vertical bars - mostly visible on dark black screens. Are these jailbars and how would I get rid of them? Thanks
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

haha, glad it works.

Don't know about the yellow bars, have you tried to see if that happens on other displays?
simbin

Post by simbin »

BazookaBen wrote:haha, glad it works.

Don't know about the yellow bars, have you tried to see if that happens on other displays?
Only tried one HDTV so far. I'm waiting for some components to make a proper cable. Right now the wires are just dangling from the back.

I have one more HDTV and a Commodore RGB monitor, so I can bypass the 9A60 and test.
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

You should also test with the 9A60 on the other HDTV.
simbin

Post by simbin »

BazookaBen wrote:You should also test with the 9A60 on the other HDTV.
Oops yeah that's what I meant ;)