GD: Raiden IV

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Special World

GD: Raiden IV

Post by Special World »

Just got this game, and I'm enjoying it a lot. However, I really have no idea how the scoring works. If anybody cared to elaborate that'd be great, I don't really know how the multipliers work nor how bullet grazing effects things. This is my first raiden game so maybe that's common knowledge across all of them :\

Only other thing is that I might have to switch from my stick to the xbox controller, playing doubles mode sounds awesome.

Anyways, I didn't see a GD thread so here it is.

ED: Also I'm assuming from the score indicators that come up whenever a missile hits something that a good strategy is to wait in between shots so you can recharge your missiles, is that right?

ED 2 : Doubles is liek the funnest thing ever.
BulletMagnet

Re: GD: Raiden IV

Post by BulletMagnet »

Special World wrote:I don't really know how the multipliers work nor how bullet grazing effects things.
I've only played a little bit so far, but it seems that the multiplier works the same way it did in Raiden III (basically, the faster you kill something the more it's worth, with 5.0X being the max, and decreasing from there the longer you take), and bullet scratching nets you a bonus at the end of the stage depending on how many you've scratched. Not sure if those elements go any deeper than that, someone else would know better...
postman

Post by postman »

If you don't shoot, your missiles charge, and this can net you a few more points when they make contact with enemies........
Don't just dodge bullets, dance around them.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Yeah, I figured out myself that the multiplier was for quick kills. Thanks for the response though :)

I think its kind of a crappy system though, doesn't really allow for super awesome scores. I hope bullet grazing nets you a lot of points but i somehow doubt it does.

Also those two aspects kind of counter each other. If you want to bullet graze, you can't kill things right away. Still a great game though.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Dandy J

Post by Dandy J »

Dunno if this stuff was covered in the main chat thread, here's some 'secrets' for people that just picked up the game. Thanks to BBH for telling me about half of this shit.

- Stage 1, destroy all the fuel silos or whatever they are to release the fairy, collect for points.
- Stage 3, on the bridge during the midboss that looks like a boomerang, there is a jeep driving on the bridge you can destroy for 500k (or was it 50k?).
- Stage 3, near the end of the stage, destroy all the tanks that ride along the tracks between the little structures for an extra bomb.
- Stage 4, halfway~3/4ths through the stage there is a section where the camera pans clockwise across statues. Do not destroy the first 2 statues on the far left that do not have the Red Stone on the forehead, but destroy all the rest and the last statue will drop a 1UP.
- Throughout the game, you'll see small grey/silver diamonds (sideways squares, not gems) in the ground. Hover over them (without firing?) for a moment, they will pop up, then destroy them for 100k a piece.
<BEOWOOF> my lifes like battle garegga every time i kill man life becomes harder and the only solution to making things easier is killing ymself.
<SCRUNBABBY> my lifes like gwangs
<SCRUNBABBY> cause .. theres lots of wangs
postman

Post by postman »

- Throughout the game, you'll see small grey/silver diamonds (sideways squares, not gems) in the ground. Hover over them (without firing?) for a moment, they will pop up, then destroy them for 100k a piece.

These are called SOL's, and there is an achievement for getting all of them....which leads to my question:

Where are all the sols in the game?
nZero

Post by nZero »

For arcade mode:

http://raiden.mossjp.co.jp/raiden4/arca ... ure_d.html

Sols also have to be revealed in the 2nd loop for Micluses to appear.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Anyone know if rank affects the toothpaste laser like it did in the past, i.e., it gets a break?
postman

Post by postman »

Here's the Sol location for 360 mode:

1) Middle of the level, look for a set of white stripes on the gravel - it's to the right of the stripes.

2) On the left side after a waterfall.

3) In the 2nd half of the level, on the left side under a shrub by the dock (ractangle shaped water inlet)

4) Beginning of the level, right side, under a shrub in a triangle shaped piece of land.

5) 3/4 into the level, right side, by a giant crack in the ground.

6) Beginning of level, the very tip of the space station as it starts to appear.

7) Beginning of level, in between two enemies based on the ship.

I didn't try for the achievement yet, but I'm pretty sure there is only one Sol per level........
nZero

Post by nZero »

Vokatse wrote:For the achievements where you have to use only 1 weapon to clear the first loop, can you die, pick up a different powerup and not use it until you gain the correct weapon powerup to complete the achievement for that certain weapon?
http://shmups.system11.org/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=24786
postman wrote:I didn't try for the achievement yet, but I'm pretty sure there is only one Sol per level........
Yep, one per level. I keep meaning to run the X360 through the Gamebridge and take screenshots of the locations but haven't done it yet.
postman

Post by postman »

Gamebridge is awesome :)

Next question is for the 1ups.......I know about the tower one - start with the tower with the glowing mark and destroy them in order...

But how do you get the second 1up? Its supposed to be where the red tanks appear from their housing...I killed them all but didn't get it, do they need to be a certian order?
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Nope, you just need to kill them all. You just have to be on the second loop.
Doctor Fugue

Post by Doctor Fugue »

I just bought the US 360 version today and played a few credits.

Am I insane or do the enemy bullets change trajectory as you move your ship laterally? Or is it an optical illusion that happens as the background pans at a different pace than the enemies? Is the effect lessened in tate?
landshark

Post by landshark »

I think it's an optical illusion.
SiKrAiKeN: While I don't think everyone here -is- a Ninja Turtle, I DO believe everyone here has the potential to be a Ninja Turtle. No doubt.
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I think it's just because of the way the backgrounds move that it looks like that. One thing I've found that helps that is to dodge in relation to where the pattern and bullets are on the screen instead of in relation to the background.
Feedback will set you free.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

Any 1UPS to be had in this game?
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

DC906270 wrote:Any 1UPS to be had in this game?
In the fourth stage. When you get to the section where the screen rotates and you get all the destructible towers, you leave the first two that appear on the screen and blow up all the others. After the rotation is over, you blow up the first two you let leave the screen and the one up appears.
captpain wrote:Basically, the reason people don't like Bakraid is because they are fat and dumb
DC906270

Post by DC906270 »

OK, thanks. this game is crying out for an extend @ 10million. what score for an extend?
Acid King

Post by Acid King »

I don't think there is a score based 1up, just another enemy based one in the second loop.
mjclark
Banned User

Post by mjclark »

So at the end of stage score summary, what are the first four categories before bonuses for bombs, stock and medals?
I'm guessing two of them are pecentage of enemies destroyed and average flash shot bonus, but what about the other two?

Also, does bullet grazing add to score in any way?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

So I just picked this up, because hey, I should diversify my shmup collection. It's the first Raiden game I've really tried to sink my teeth into (almost got the 1CC in Arcade Original Light without knowing how the hell to get any extends). It's not bad, though it's a serious adjustment getting used to dealing with the larger bullets/hitbox/speeds and a very slow, single ship speed. A few questions:

a) Plasma, or Proton? Toothpaste is iconic and all, but I do like controllable directional shots... the problem is that the 3-way laser has massive gaps, whereas Type B in Dodonpachi still retains great frontal damage when you're sweeping with the side to side shot. Hrm. It also seems to do a lot less damage than it could, and the piercing effect doesn't make up for it...

b) What missiles are generally recommended? Homing is obviously handy for popcorn, but the M variety seems pretty strong.

c) No score extends? I think I read the 1UP is in Stage 4 in the first loop and involves destroying the statues in a specific order. Any confirmation where it is in the second loop? Same spot or moved?

d) What's new in the Xbox 360 mode aside from a couple new stages? I can't seem to see any major alterations to scoring or extends.

e) Any way to speed up my movement speed? I kinda wish the ships were a bit faster, or there were a speed toggle button. Does the 2P side move a bit faster like it used to in the older game? Are the DLC ships worth it/different at all in terms of performance?
Mero

Post by Mero »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
c) No score extends? I think I read the 1UP is in Stage 4 in the first loop and involves destroying the statues in a specific order. Any confirmation where it is in the second loop? Same spot or moved?
I think in the second loop it's where you get the extra bomb on stage 3 in the first loop (where you have to destroy all the ground based enemies that come out of the boxes).
KOM1SCH

Post by KOM1SCH »

Hey there...
I'm new to the Raiden Series. I enjoy playing shmups, but this seems extremly hard. So i wanted to ask how you guys are doing?

How much Reaction / Learning pattern does it need to master the game? I think the Bosses can learned, but i'm not sure about the whole levels.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

KOM1SCH,

I highly recommend practicing and learning the bosses once you've unlocked them in the stage select. The bosses are the biggest hurdles to just continuing on, but you can "wing" the stages in comparison to the boss' difficulty. You should practice the stages too, get a bit familiar playing a stage over more than a few times, (especially if you know the stage is giving you trouble).

Set little goals for yourself, practice stage 3 and 4 boss (how many bombs might you want/need?), maybe practice stage 3 and 4 some too (try to understand where it's good to bomb). Then try a run to piece together what you know and aim to beat Stage 4/boss. As you go on, you can add the later bosses/stages to this mini-practice regimine, of practice sessions then going to a real run. I think this format can keep the game fun and refreshing as you get farther and farther. It did for me for months!

Good luck!
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
KOM1SCH

Post by KOM1SCH »

Thank you Aquas...
It seem's I was wrong with my opinion, the Levels would be harder than the bosses. I will get some try's with Bossrush.
What do you think? Should i learn the levels/bosses on Ultimate or start with Normal-Difficulty?
There is another Question: Why should some use the Practice-Difficulty? Is there any use beside to see, from where enemys come?
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

Start with Normal or Original (Arcade) Difficulty, that's fine.

Ultimate is far too punishing to learn with.

I never tried the practice difficulty, actually!
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Iron Peach

Post by Iron Peach »

Agreed, easy or normal will give a good idea of what's ahead. If you can clear those, then maybe the arcade difficulty next. Watching replays will give you a lot of info too.
KOM1SCH

Post by KOM1SCH »

The Difficulty of this Game is just insane :lol: I can't get to Boss 1-3 in Easymode... How you guys are doing? Is my skill-level not average or is Raiden just that hard, that even a 1cc in easymode is a real Challenge!? :wink:
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

KOM1SCH wrote:The Difficulty of this Game is just insane :lol: I can't get to Boss 1-3 in Easymode... How you guys are doing? Is my skill-level not average or is Raiden just that hard, that even a 1cc in easymode is a real Challenge!? :wink:
I am far from a expert level STG player, but I actually found Raiden IV to be a fairly simple 1cc on easy... did it in maybe 3 attempts?

Basically, only ever pick up homing missles and the red powerup. Anything else will handicap you.
KOM1SCH

Post by KOM1SCH »

I am far from a expert level STG player, but I actually found Raiden IV to be a fairly simple 1cc on easy... did it in maybe 3 attempts?

Basically, only ever pick up homing missles and the red powerup. Anything else will handicap you.
Maybe I'm just not that good^^ it sounds amazing to clear easy in 3 attemps 1cc. I'm playing R4 Overkill on PS3. Maybe its harder, but I don't think so... I wish there was some english guide, that gave me some tips about boss/level strats. Seems like atm is nobody into Raiden IV...