Death Roulette: Loop 22

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ACSeraph

Death Roulette: Loop 22

Post by ACSeraph »

Click on the colonel to receive your mission!

Play one credit on default settings and post your results. No retries! Submissions for each week end on Saturday at 10pm United States EST!

It is the right of all men to die gloriously in battle! All players are welcome, regardless of their level!

Life is fleeting; there are no second chances, only Death and Legends! How long can you survive!?

---

We have lost contact with the colonel!
Colonel Longhena wrote:...

---

Important, please read!

Please use this format for your submissions and edit all of them into a single post for the current week. Also please calculate your own final score including your weekly bonuses when you are finished playing everything.

Name - Game and Version - Ship (if applicable) - Stage - Score
(TLB Clear)
(Weekly Challenge Clear)

Final Result: ___ Points

---

Congratulations to No Refuge champion chum! The battlefield is strangely quiet...

---

Loop 18 Rankings:

Shepardus – 40,000,000
drunkninja24 – 26,000,000
Heavy Viper – 20,000,000
pandoraXhunter – 17,000,000
S_Fang – 13,000,000

Hall of Champions:

No Refuge - chum - 12th Death March x2

Loop 18 - Shepardus – 40,000,000
Loop 17 - Heavy Viper - 43,000,000
Loop 16 - Heavy Viper - 28,000,000
Loop 15 - Shepardus - 27,000,000
Loop 14 - ACSeraph - 32,000,000
Loop 13 - Ikazu-san - 26,000,000
Loop 12 - iast - 22,000,000
Loop 11 - iast - 35,000,000

URA - Chaos - 57,000,000

Loop 8 - Shepardus – 26,000,000
Loop 7 - Heavy Viper – 31,000,000
Loop 6 - Lilium – 50,000,000
Loop 5 - Heavy Viper – 34,000,000
Loop 4 - Pestro87 – 30,000,000
Loop 3 - Erppo – 31,000,000
Loop 2 - Lilium – 50,000,000
Loop 1 - Shepardus – 26,000,000

---

Intro

Before beginning I'd like to credit Captain for coming up with the original shmups roulette idea as seen in "The Quickening". I really enjoyed participating in that thread throughout 2014.

It's mostly dead now though, and I'd like to restart the idea myself with a bigger focus on competition and a strict no restarts rule set.

So here's how it's going to work: Tournaments will be held weekly until the end of all time (or the forum server) and players may enter and drop out as they please. No registration is required, players of all levels are encouraged to join, and you can feel free to jump in at any time even if it's the middle of a given week. Just play whenever you feel like it is what I'm saying.

So then, lets get to the...

Rules

A maximum of 5 times per week, players can roll a random shmup. You can do this by either using this link, OR by creating a word document list of every shmup you own/have access to and pasting it here.

If the randomizer gives you a game you don't have access to, just reroll until you get something you can play. Do not play the same game twice in a single week, if you roll the same game just reroll. You may not reroll just because you don't like the game you were given. Suck it up and do your duty soldier!

Play one credit of whatever you rolled and posts the results here. You may not restart the credit for any reason! If you stupidly die two seconds into stage one, it just sucks to be you. Pretend you are at an arcade with the last existing 100 yen coin in the universe. Games should be played on normal difficulty and default settings. Beginner, Novice, Boss rush, and Caravan modes do not qualify for Death Roulette.

Obviously since we are all playing random games this cannot be a scoring competition, therefore this will be a purely survival tournament. At the end of each week (Weeks start and end at 12pm on Sundays) I will tally how many stages you reached in all of the games you played during the week. This will be your final score for the week and the player with the highest score will be considered the winner.

If you pull a game that breaks into checkpoint areas rather than standard stages like Hishouzame, please use your own judgement to break the game up into standard stages. In general you should count major area changes as new "stages" in these cases.

You automatically get one point just for playing (because you "reached" stage 1). If you somehow 1cc the game you were given, you gain an additional 5 points (and I will think you are a boss). An additional 5 bonus points will also be awarded for killing a True Last Boss. Please Note the kill in your submission.

As of Loop 7 there will be a weekly challenge that if cleared will result in a 5 point bonus. The challenge for any given week will be listed in the opening post and also the result post for the previous week. Challenges will change regularly. The challenge can only be cleared once per week. If you clear it please note it under the result of whichever game you cleared it on.

All week winners will be logged in this post along with an all time win ranking.

Results should be posted in this format:

Name - Game and Version - Ship (if applicable) - Stage - Score
(TLB Clear)
(Weekly Challenge Clear)

Final Result: ___ Points

EX:

ACSeraph - Mushihimesama (360) - M-Type - ALL (5 Stages) - 10 points
True Last Boss Clear! - 5 points
Weekly Challenge Clear! - 5 points

"

"

"

"

Final Result: 37 Points

Please edit your submissions into a single post for each week and calculate your final result including any bonuses you earned that week. It will save me a lot of time when posting the weekly rankings.

So with all that out of the way...

ぬがよい
Last edited by ACSeraph on Tue Feb 09, 2016 12:07 am, edited 84 times in total.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
pokemon123

Re: Death Roulette: Eternal STG Tournament

Post by pokemon123 »

Okay so I rolled pink sweets. Apparently this game is really hard. I'm f*cked.

Okay so I died stage 2 but I don't know my score and it says my save state isn't valid.

Will wait tomorrow I guess. Didn't really enjoy playing it so far(first time playing this) so it's all good.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

It's OK if you missed your score, just put a question mark there in the submission. The most important thing is the game title and the stage you reached, so go ahead and submit today's in the proper format and that's two points.

And yes, Pink Sweets Vanilla is fuckin' hard. Embrace your Death.

Also remember to roll a new game ever day.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Pretas - SRD: Super Real Darwin (World) - 1-Boss - 15420

What a bizarre game, feels like Terra Cresta on crack or an STG variant of Act-Fancer. Those lasers that leave a huge gap in front of you got me killed twice. The attract mode shows that one of the later stages is a series of medieval castles floating in space. What do the "DNP" pickups stand for?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Shepardus - Espgaluda (MAME) - Tateha - 4-Boss - 9373270

Was a no-miss run for a while but the end of stage 4 was a complete trainwreck and I game-overed during the boss. :? At least I got lucky enough to roll a shmup as relatively easy as Espgaluda.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
pokemon123

Post by pokemon123 »

Pokemon123-Pink sweets vanilla(MAME)-Mount Shasta-2-???
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Softdrink 117 - Darius Burst Another Chronicle: EX - Legend Silver Hawk Burst - A-D-H ALL - 50,690,500

Yesssss an excuse to play DBAC again. Such a good game. :3

Also this is a cool idea.
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
Lilium
Banned User

Post by Lilium »

Fun concept. Figures that the first game I draw is Deathsmiles, the one game i haven't played since 2 years ago and haven't got set up for my controller. Triggered so many bombs while trying to enter power-up mode lol. I didn't remember strategies much beyond save the C levels for last and use the power up in the volcano for 1sissy strat but then i accidentally bombed instead, no big deal i thought and then i triggered the power up and then I had to, in horror, witness almost my entire power-up go to waste by the bomb and i was like nooooo but carried on because rules dictates no restarts! Then I had the most amazing jitterbug fight ever. Rammed stuff twice, triggered his bullet wall and then I got molested by the final boss because I forgot how to do him in all that time.

tl;dr: Fun run! Way out of comfort zone. Cool idea, nothing wrong with getting your shmupping routine shaken up a bit. Now here's hoping I'll never pull DS2, Pink Sweets or MuchiPork!

Lilium - Deathsmiles (360) - Windia - ALL (No Canyon - 4x Lv3s) - 54,544,019 (TURBO-scrub) and finished with no extra lives xD
You don't need a reason to dodge things. http://www.liliumstg.blogspot.com/2015/ ... s-log.html
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

First day and already two ALL scores! Nicely done guys 8) Also Softdrink you lucky bastard, you pull Darius and I have to play fuckin' Gameboy R-Type!? Oh and I forgot to mention this but if you get an ALL please make a note of how many stages are in the game (if EX stages are involved note whether or not you triggered/completed those too). This is because I won't necessarily know how many stages are in the game when I'm tallying scores. if I haven't played it before myself.

I hate me some R-Type. Feels like all the bad parts of Darius II with none of the good. Never been motivated to learn it.

ACSeraph - R-Type (Gameboy) - Stage 2 Boss - ?
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

There are three stages in DBAC's routes, hence the A-D-H designation ;D

Also I just rolled for today (after midnight, won't play until afternoon)... Ibara :3

This is gonna be good.
Last edited by Softdrink 117 on Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
I love Ibara.
Lilium
Banned User

Post by Lilium »

I'm curious about how we should proceed if we come across a game with difficulty settings. My game kinda has that in the sense that you pick the difficulty level for each stage and since I don't see it specified anywhere, I just rolled with what I would usually do.

So what, do we just pick whichever mode we're the most comfortable with? I'd assume this to be the case but because I am so concerned about playing fair, I'll ask anyway 8)
You don't need a reason to dodge things. http://www.liliumstg.blogspot.com/2015/ ... s-log.html
Captain

Post by Captain »

Super Fantasy Zone
But this loops infinitely...
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

^Then it has infinite survival potential! :D
Lilium wrote:I'm curious about how we should proceed if we come across a game with difficulty settings. My game kinda has that in the sense that you pick the difficulty level for each stage and since I don't see it specified anywhere, I just rolled with what I would usually do.

So what, do we just pick whichever mode we're the most comfortable with? I'd assume this to be the case but because I am so concerned about playing fair, I'll ask anyway 8)
Games should all be played on their default normal settings. Outside of that you can do anything you feel comfortable with, so in a case like Deathsmiles there's no problem with choosing level 1 as long as the base settings are on normal.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Eh.. i'll play. though I seem to have pissed away my skill these past couple of months =[

Blinge - Darius - 5 - 2,516,170

I forgot how much of a credit killer Fatty Gluton is when you've just got the laser. Somehow managed to beat him on my last life then run myself right into the wall against Keen Bayonet..
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

First try ever and Image.
Ok then, stand by for results.

BTW, do we need to post emulator version along if game can't be played on real hardware?
1. Unusual Weaponry
2. Short Words
3. Blind(ing) Fire
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

So I rolled and I got Strike Gunner STG. Never played it, had no idea about the selectable power-ups so I went with the shield, made it through stage 1 then found out I couldn't pick shield again. Scraped through stage two and got nailed right away in stage 3. Also, the speed-ups in this game seem completely unnecessary, the standard move speed is already much much faster than most shmups.

PAPER/ARTILLERY - Strike Gunner STG (MAME) - 3 - 750,000ish I think (didn't make leaderboard, not sure)
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

Welp.
Ikazu-san - Ketsui Death Label (NDS) - Type-A - All (Normal Course) - 83.706.720

All 3(or 4? I've lost count actually) bosses on the first try, one death and bombfest beyond. At first I thought I got the wrong version or something.
1. Unusual Weaponry
2. Short Words
3. Blind(ing) Fire
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Just rolled Cho Ren Sha 68k. Will update later with how it went.

Edit:

Shepardus - Cho Ren Sha 68K (PC) - 2-5 (all 7 stages in first loop, reached stage 5 in second loop) - 7880398

So far I've been lucky enough to get games that are relatively easy as far as shmups go (or games that I don't have, forcing me to reroll). Sooner or later I'm going to roll Ibara or Ketsui and game-over on stage 2 or something like that...
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Hmm, after reading the title I was kind of hyped but..
why don't you (the OP, ACSeraph) just roll at the beginning of the week, and have the result game as "game of the week" that everyone will play for that week?
Then it would be literally like "eternal STGT", just with completely random game choice for each play-week.
Right now the system is kind of awkward, because you'll have to play every single day of the week to stay in the competition, and games have different amount of stages anyways.. (with huge variation in difficulty! it's a roulette though so :> )
so why not just roll a random game and have a weekly scoreboard for it here?
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Zaarock - Donpachi (japan) - Type-A - 1-5 - 4,851,330

Last time I played this was for STG of the month back in 2012 I think? Was expecting better but had forgotten a lot of stuff which lead to dying everywhere. I still like the chaining in this game. Even though it's sort of slow paced the stages are fun too.
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Cagar wrote:Hmm, after reading the title I was kind of hyped but..
why don't you (the OP, ACSeraph) just roll at the beginning of the week, and have the result game as "game of the week" that everyone will play for that week?
Then it would be literally like "eternal STGT", just with completely random game choice for each play-week.
Right now the system is kind of awkward, because you'll have to play every single day of the week to stay in the competition, and games have different amount of stages anyways.. (with huge variation in difficulty! it's a roulette though so :> )
I definitely think this would be a better way to do it.
I love Ibara.
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

cool idea, here's what I rolled up:

blackoak - Super Fantasy Zone (MD) - Round 4 - 181,530

Pretty sad, but I didn't know wtf I was doing, so... ;)
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I like this idea, the only problem I can see is if someone doesn't have the game of the week, they can't participate. I suppose you don't need to feel pressured to participate every week, though, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

LordHypnos - Thunder Force IV (guessing PAL, Kega Fusion) - Strite - 3340

Wow, super embarassing score :oops: Been a while since I've played this game. Excellent music, still, though.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Captain

Post by Captain »

Shepardus wrote:
I like this idea, the only problem I can see is if someone doesn't have the game of the week, they can't participate. I suppose you don't need to feel pressured to participate every week, though, so it's not necessarily a bad thing.
1+ seeing as I rolled a game with infinite stages.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

cave hermit - Game Tengoku (MAME) - Pig - Stage 2 - 834620

The theme is really cool, but otherwise the gameplay is pretty middle of the road.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

cave hermit wrote:cave hermit - Game Tengoku (MAME) - Pig - Stage 2 - 834620

The theme is really cool, but otherwise the gameplay is pretty middle of the road.
Actually exploiting the aubergine gimmick is a very deep challenge. More peole should try it! :roll:
Later this weekend I'll draw a game!
Pteriforever

Post by Pteriforever »

Pteriforever - Dragon Saber (MAME 0.154) - 1 - ?

Giant hitboxes suck.

Went on to play a few more rounds after that, I'm convinced the first boss is completely impossible.
Starhall || Abmneshi || Starhall 2
RegalSin wrote:The art in my opinion is quesitonable, because it looks like it relies on computer art
mehguy

Post by mehguy »

mehguy - Nostradamus (mame) - Dalas - 2 - 140200

lol I've never played this game until now.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

EmperorIng - Atomic Robo Kid - 2 - 92,700

Never played this one before. Kind of a weird attempt at hybrid platform and shmup? I don't know why you need a jump button when you can fly indefinitely...