Special Demonstrations #18: Leiria -Stargazer- (12.6.23)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

daigle wrote:Really enjoy the output from you guys, sorry if this has been asked already but have you thought about putting out dvd/blu compilations? something like special demos season 1...i dunno...anyways keep up the great work!
Strikers1945guy

Re:

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Icarus wrote:
daigle wrote:Really enjoy the output from you guys, sorry if this has been asked already but have you thought about putting out dvd/blu compilations? something like special demos season 1...i dunno...anyways keep up the great work!
Would buy
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
BIL

Re: Special Demos 8: Garegga (T3-神威, 20.83mil ALL, Gain (WR)

Post by BIL »

WHOA, ITS BEAUTIFUL Image
brokenhalo

Re: Re:

Post by brokenhalo »

Strikers1945guy wrote:
Icarus wrote:
Would buy
SapphireDensetsu

Post by SapphireDensetsu »

BIL wrote:WHOA, ITS BEAUTIFUL Image
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Related but unrelated question, and will probably lead to another thread:

What does "T3-神威" mean? This is just a psuedonym I'm assuming?

Is "T3" a group or circle?
Eaglet

Post by Eaglet »

While i don't know the story behind it, i'm guessing that T3 is a circle of superplayers since i've seen other players use that prefix.
It's probably a bit of an homage to the Japanese fusion band T-Square (T^2) but since these players are more hardcore they probably decided to add another dimension to it.
"神威" is just Kamui.
moozooh wrote:I think that approach won't get you far in Garegga.
Image Image
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I think T3 is a group, of which Kamui is a member. I had a Radiant Silvergun VHS where the player was T3-WIZ. (Who I think was also a great Ikaruga player)

(I wonder if WIZ had any connection to the group that released a couple great STGs for PC98?)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
dex

Post by dex »

lookin' solid, thick, tight. thanks for the vid Icarus, hope Kamui gets to her goal someday!
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

T3 was/is a group of players mostly playing in one arcade, if I recall correctly. Icarus and/or GP probably know the details well.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Icarus

Special Demos 9: Rayforce (Jaimers, 8.01mil ALL)

Post by Icarus »

So apparently Jaimers thinks he hasn't done anything worthy of being on a Special Demonstration. (⌒▽⌒)
Jaimers, via PM wrote:Sure I'd love to.
However I don't think that I ever really did anything that is worthy of a Special Demonstration though. :V
So we have Episode #9, featuring Rayforce! I wanted to do something else for a change as we've had just Cave and Raizing the past eight episodes, and featuring Jaimers' recent Western record at this amazing game provided the perfect opportunity to do just that. This was especially important because there is a severe lack of decent quality footage of the game being played for a high score, my own 5.60mil ALL not counted as it's a crappy run to begin with. :V

Thanks goes out to Jaimers for agreeing to contribute to the project, and also for working alongside me to get the replay the way we like it. We've also had some nice discussion between us and R_GRAY1 on Twitter, and hopefully Jaimers can go on to break the 9mil barrier with the things he's learned. Good luck, and many thanks!

Enjoy the replay everyone! I have no idea what to do for the big 1-0, but I'll find something.
BIL

Re: Special Demos #9: Rayforce (Jaimers, 8.01mil ALL)

Post by BIL »

NICE AS FUCK :shock: Hell of a score, hell of a game, and a sorely needed high-end demonstration too. Loving the annotations, great work from you both!

edit: just finished. Good-bye my earth. ;_;7 What a watch, I'd forgotten how relentless this game is.
Last edited by BIL on Mon Jan 26, 2015 9:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Awesome video and run as always, never heard of the game before Jaimers posted the screenshot of his score here but it looks pretty cool, I ought to try it sometime.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Shepardus wrote:I ought to try it sometime.
You should, I highly recommend it and the sequels Raystorm and Raycrisis.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

^^^Its a masterpiece.

Also might I ask what the intro track was? Don't think I've heard it in any of the series ost's.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Squire Grooktook wrote:^^^Its a masterpiece.
Also might I ask what the intro track was? Don't think I've heard it in any of the series ost's.
"Ray'z -Beyond-" - TAMAYO feat. Cyua (ZUNTATA Records)
From the Ray'z Premium Box -Beyond-, the Ray-series complete OST collection.
Sadly I couldn't find a HD version of the special animation video, so I took the highest quality one I could find and added a bunch of grain to offset the drop in video quality from scaling it.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Icarus wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:^^^Its a masterpiece.
"Ray'z -Beyond-" - TAMAYO feat. Cyua (ZUNTATA Records)
From the Ray'z Premium Box -Beyond-, the Ray-series complete OST collection.
Sadly I couldn't find a HD version of the special animation video, so I took the highest quality one I could find and added a bunch of grain to offset the drop in video quality from scaling it.
Many thanks, both for the track and the annotated video!
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

Spectacular run Jaimers ! Thanks Icarus for doing these! I love the STG weekly stuff from a fan perspective and picking up tips but these are especially cool for their detail to perfection and learning some more advanced skills. Always a pleasure to watch these.
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Add me as another person who'd never really heard much about Rayforce, but man, that game looks gorgeous, especially considering the year it was released. I'll definitely have to check it out sometime.

Thanks for the great work, Jaimers and Icarus.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

We're finally up to Episode #10 with Battle Bakraid, featuring two ships, Buster Lizard and Flame Viper!

So a little history: about this time last year, back when Bakraid was enjoying a little renaissance with players finding out new tricks and routes, and scores breaking the 50mil+ mark, I sent ciox, our main driver of score progression, a PM asking if he'd be interested in doing a replay when he gets to 100mil. I don't recall hearing anything back from him about it, so I thought nothing of it at the time.

Fast forward to a fortnight ago, when out of the blue, he sends me a PM saying he's not only managed to break 100mil, but has done it with two different ships, and is up for doing a combined replay for both of them for SD #10. We got cracking, and wrapped up everything last night ready for release. This is a nice milestone release for a variety of reasons: it's the first 720p60 release in the series, it's the first non Flame Viper replay with exceptional scoring, and is also now the highest scoring publicly available replay known.

Much thanks to ciox for working hard at the game and finally breaking the 100mil mark, and for contributing two stellar replays and great commentary to the project. Congratulations on the amazing scores, and keep on rollin'!

Enjoy the replay! https://youtu.be/dP3OjSDMM3o
Shepardus

Re: Special Demos #10: Bakraid (Advanced - ciox, 100mil+ ALL

Post by Shepardus »

T-there are other ships besides Flame Viper?!?

Huge congrats ciox, I haven't watched the runs yet but I can't wait to do so!
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
ciox

Post by ciox »

Shepardus wrote:T-there are other ships besides Flame Viper?!?

Huge congrats ciox, I haven't watched the runs yet but I can't wait to do so!
Thanks man, I doubt I would be playing this game so much if you hadn't found that type B thing, no type B no fast axebeak to say the least.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

By the way, why Buster Lizard instead of another of the ships? I thought people liked Blade Owl a lot, so I'm a bit surprised to not see that one.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
ciox

Post by ciox »

There's two twings you really want for scoring in Bakraid:
- good movement speed, even with Type B
- twin main shot even at minimum power level (after respawning), even with Type B

This leaves out a lot of ships, you're left with these:
a) Hammer Shark, fastest ship and probably the WR ship, its sideshot is very hard to control and the piercing charge attack while strong can't be used well while bombing/suiciding
b) Buster Lizard, second fastest, feels most familiar to playing Flame Viper with its homing attacks so it's an easy switch aside from the massive increase in movement speed
c) Blade Owl, the slowest of the three but still pretty fast, has the strongest weapons but no homing and its piercing charge attack has the same problem as Hammer Shark's

HTH
Icarus

Re: Special Demos #11: Garegga (SDD-Kaede, 18.45mil, Miyamot

Post by Icarus »

Icarus (sometime in 2014) wrote:I might ask if she knows if players of any other ships would like to contribute. Maybe someone like SDD-Kaede…
So about that...

A couple of months ago, Plasmo asked me if I'd be interested in editing a replay using SDD-Kaede's great annotated run of a nearly-WR score with Miyamoto, that's currently hosted on his own YouTube channel. I had some initial reservations as the footage we had originally thought to use was low quality and a little problematic to work with, so Plasmo asked Kaede-san if he still had the original footage, and to my surprise, he gave us the original capture footage and his blessing to use it!

So here we are: Special Demonstrations #11: Garegga!

It took a bit longer to get started due to Christmas and work schedules, etc, but along with a new super-fast Hackintosh I custom built up, the past week was spent just leisurely putting it together and checking it over. Of course, YouTube nuked all soft annotations, so this is the first SD with hardcoded annotations, so I'm still trying to find a good method to incorporate them. I'll revisit the past episodes at some point in the near future to bake their commentary back into the footage and re-release.

Thanks to Kaede-san for letting us use his original capture footage, and to Plasmo for keeping in touch with him, and for translating the original Japanese annotations.
This project has been taking a break for a while, but hopefully we'll have more stuff to come soon.
brokenhalo

Re: Special Demos #11: Garegga (SDD-Kaede, 18.45mil, Miyamot

Post by brokenhalo »

Glad to see another Special Demo up. These are by far the best superplays in terms of presentation and notation. All the hard work is definitely appreciated!
Animaitor

Re: Special Demos #11: Garegga (SDD-Kaede, 18.45m ALL, Miyam

Post by Animaitor »

Thanks Icarus and everyone else involved in the production of such amazing superplay!
xavierjesus wrote:Fcuking love sticks made from random objects. I'm off now actually to buy a plastic vagina...
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Fascinating as always.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Oh hey, the project is alive! Thanks for another great replay with great presentation!
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
ReSe2k

Post by ReSe2k »

Thank you for doing these Icarus!

The text could stay a bit longer on the screen though, especially in the beginning when there's quite a gap between them.