Heavy Unit [Arcade/PCE/MD]

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Perikles

Heavy Unit [Arcade/PCE/MD]

Post by Perikles »

Gotta be honest, folks: I mainly opened this thread for the ports. I am of course willing to include a table for the arcade version but I have no idea what types of information are of importance (regional differences, autofire, player side, stuff like that) so you have to help me out with that.

Default settings, one credit only.

Please post your scores like this:

Name – Score – Stage (- Autofire - Version)

Arcade

Code: Select all

Name         Score     Stage     Autofire     Version     
1. Perikles    1,303,000    2-3        Yes      Japan, Newer      
PCE

Name         Score     Stage     
1. Perikles    1,568,800    ALL
2. EmperorIng  1,546,600    ALL  
3. Kollision    946,700     2-5
MD

Normal:

1. Perikles    1,295,400    ALL
2. PlasmaBlooD  302,150     ALL      
3. UGO          233,400     ALL 
Hard:

1. UGO          328,250      6     
Last edited by Perikles on Fri Oct 04, 2019 5:14 pm, edited 9 times in total.
Perikles

Re: Heavy Unit [Arcade/PCE/MD]

Post by Perikles »

PCE version

Perikles – 1,051,300 – 2-6

MD version

Perikles – 277,550 – ALL
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Congrats on reaching 2-6 on the PCE, Perikles.
I love the fact that there's a loop with a lot more bullets in this version. It's borderline 16-bit danmaku stuff. :P

My PCE score:

Kollision – 946,700 – 2-5

Sadly the scoring system in the MD version is broken. :(
UGO

Post by UGO »

Heavy Unit MD Special.

Normal mode :
UGO – 233,400 – ALL - Rapid On.

Hard mode :
UGO – 328,250 – Last Boss - Rapid On.
L-Dis, Gaiares, Battle Squadron... Go replay : http://www.dailymotion.com/UGO--Runs--- ... oId=xensqt
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

The arcade version apparently has a very different US release simply labeled "USA Version"; changes currently unknown.

The PCE version has a hidden options menu. On the title screen, hold Left + I and then press Select. There's also a silly monochrome mode you can toggle from there, but...
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

PCE version:

EmperorIng - 2-4 - 877,600

It's pathetic that what killed me in the second loop (for the first time that loop!) was when the screen autoscrolls and throws off your controls. It's extremely frustrating. I couldn't beat the boss in my under-powered state.

I thought I had activated a glitch or something with the way your barrier shields can take so many damn hits. The generous shield health resulted in extremely little careful play on the final boss (lots of mistakes!). But I still got the clear, so whatever!
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Ing proves his dominance by clearing yet another easy PC Engine shmup:

EmperorIng - ALL - 1,546,600

If you remain in your mech form, and do not grab too many speed-up icons, you are more than assured of an easy clear. At least, as long as you don't have a stupid death, or run out of shields. The shield survival rate in this game is crazy. It almost feels like a Euro-shmup, with many segments in the second loop seeming impossible to dodge unless you can tank a few hits.

Still, it is all in good fun. The difference between fighting the final bosses in ship vs mech form are huuuge. My clear above was through a stupid grabbing of a T icon, which made the fights 10x harder and longer than they needed to be.

EDIT: I am told there is a third loop to the game (and perhaps more after that); it unlocks if you tap I and II alternating with the blinking cursor on the end screen. I don't know if that is true, but that is a way out if there's someone out there that really wants to beat my score, lol. I don't know if it's true and I am not in the mood to slog back to the end of the 2ALL in order to get there. :mrgreen:

DOUBLE EDIT: Rumor debunked; only two loops to the game. Last time I trust PCE fanatics to give it to me straight. :|
Last edited by EmperorIng on Thu Aug 25, 2016 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

EmperorIng wrote:EDIT: I am told there is a third loop to the game (and perhaps more after that); it unlocks if you tap I and II alternating with the blinking cursor on the end screen. I don't know if that is true, but that is a way out if there's someone out there that really wants to beat my score, lol. I don't know if it's true and I am not in the mood to slog back to the end of the 2ALL in order to get there. :mrgreen:
Thanks for the information, that's certainly interesting if it were true. I denoted your great score as a 2-ALL (instead of just an ALL) for the time being, I might get back to this when I dig out my PCE the next time. :)
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Arcade

Perikles - 1,303,000 - 2-3 - Yes - Japan, Newer

Video

I've no idea how the Japanese version differs from the World version or whether it is important if you play the old version or the newer one, but I know that it is important in Dragon Spirit, for example, so it might be a good idea to add that information.

Anyway, I felt like handling some more heavy machinery after BlaZeon and played this. What a weird, messy game. I do partially concur with the Euroshmup remark, EmperorIng, except that the hitbox is also remarkably small which is not an usual trait of Euroshmups, making this classification at least somewhat debatable. Some very specific sections are much more strict (the mechanical parts in front and on the back of the gates in the fourth stage, for example) for completely inexplicable reasons. The arcade version also has one section that is entirely up to luck, I'm absolutely sure the ball maze is completely random and sometimes unavoidable. This and all the other sloppy choices prevent me from actually spending more time on it even though it shouldn't be too problematic to loop this game a few times (the aforementioned maze notwithstanding, it'll probably end more runs than not). I did the wrong thing in the beginning of 2-2 and then got shafted by one pesky enemy that didn't leave me any time for reaction, and long-term recovery is simply impossible. Gradius games are generous by comparisons, especially since they felt the need to take away some of the power-ups in the second loop, meaning that you can play half a stage without ever seeing one. :?

I know the location of five extends, got two of them in this run (one at the first stage (shoot at the eye level of the face in the wall), one in the third stage (right after the Battletoad sequence with the mechanical snakes you want to go down and hit the floor behind this retracting organic thing)), here are the other ones:

- If you stall the second boss long enough a power-up carrier with an extend will appear.

- Instead of milking the lower organic wall in the fourth stage you can go all the way up and shoot the ceiling for an extend.

- In the lower right corner during the ball maze episode in stage 5 there is another one.

Totally not worth it to go after them, though.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

PCE

Perikles - 1,568,800 - ALL

Finally got that out of the way, no idea why I didn't do so earlier, was probably too embarrassed that I lost the credit on the extremely easy final boss, I surmise. :lol: I tried the above-mentioned button combination (and some other assorted sequences), but to no avail. So until further notice I'm going to assume the PCE port only has one additional loop, i.e. a 2-ALL can be denoted as ALL.

This is by far the best version of the game, by the way. MD port has essentially pacifistic enemies, arcade game is highly unbalanced and has that ridiculous luck-based maze, this conversion right here is actually solid.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Valued arcade/conversion reconnaissance as usual. :smile: Kaneko have slowly but surely become a favourite name of mine for 16bit shooters, I'll have to give the HuCard a go.
PlasmaBlooD

Post by PlasmaBlooD »

Heavy unit MD Normal

PlasmaBlooD 302,150 ALL

https://youtu.be/RMM78Eu5wh8

Hi, sorry weisst ja das ich ein beschissenes Englisch habe ;-) Würdest Du auch meine alte Enginescore akzeptieren?Ich habe sehr viele Highscores noch auf MD und PCE etc.Leider ist mir die Platte damals verreckt und ich habe die Screenshots nimmer :-( In dem Thegforum, wo alle notiert sind , sind die Screenshots nicht mehr vorhanden vom upload.Kannst mir ja per FB Bescheid geben :-)
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

MD, Normal

Perikles - 1,295,400 - ALL