TRAILER for my upcoming game

A place for people with an interest in developing new shmups.
Matt McFarland

TRAILER for my upcoming game

Post by Matt McFarland »

I used a nice app called fraps and created a trailer of my upcoming game. I still have a lot of work to do, but I thought I'd show everyone what's going on so far!

The trailer is 5 megs, in wmv format. I've had trouble playing it in WinAmp the first time for some reason. So to play in winamp you might have to stop and hit play again to see it correctly. That might be something just happening on my computer though. However Windows Media Player plays it perfectly fine.

Thanks guys, please let me know what you think!!!

Download Trailer
Dave_K.

Post by Dave_K. »

Nice artwork! But why does it look like its moving in slow motion? Is that the fastest framerate you can get with BlitzMax?
Matt McFarland

Post by Matt McFarland »

I'm using Delta Timing actually. That is the actual game speed and it would be so on any computer. The video dropped it down to 60fps but even at 200fps it still plays the same way. The game is designed for the casual market and that is how fast it will play, especially at level 1. I don't think it looks like "slow motion" at all, perhaps the video is playing slower than intended on your computer?

I also would like to inform you that bmax is an extremely powerful programming language that uses DX9 and Open GL, "C Classes", and rivals C along with other powerful languages. Shareware games are marketed and designed using Blitz.. Maybe you should go to the website and see how powerful it is for yourself?
mrMagenta

Post by mrMagenta »

quite a phallic ship design :P

actually that's the only thing i'd point out regarding the graphics besides the info box (which i'm guessing is placeholder), the player ship looks a bit gray and flat compared to the rest, the other stuff and the game in general looks nice! cool looking turrican-esque powerup boxes and nice effects.
Matt McFarland

Post by Matt McFarland »

mrMagenta wrote:quite a phallic ship design :P

actually that's the only thing i'd point out regarding the graphics besides the info box (which i'm guessing is placeholder), the player ship looks a bit gray and flat compared to the rest, the other stuff and the game in general looks nice! cool looking turrican-esque powerup boxes and nice effects.
heh. yeah actually I plan on getting a completely different looking player ship (that's animated) - Yeah you can call the lame side-panel "programmer art" - if you will - a funny term because I guess some programmers are good at art, but certainly I'm not! :)

Ok. Thanks for the feedback, I appreciate it. The game is on a limited budget so it wont be the best, but I hope it will be fun atleast.
Matt McFarland

Post by Matt McFarland »

GamePlay Video!!!

http://www.mattmcfarland.com/IntrTrl2.wmv

Please Right Click and click "Save as"

-This video shows the game in action, you can see how the ship is controlled more then the trailer, and you can see how the enemies behave, etc. The framerate was dropped to save space, so it is MUCH smoother in real time then recorded.

Hope you like!!
mrMagenta

Post by mrMagenta »

btw, a trick for recording smooth gameplay video is: instead of using fraps, write a line in your program that captures a screen every second frame in 60fps. i bet there is a screencapture function in blitzMax. that way it will look smoother than if the game actually runs in 30 fps. i can't really explain why, but when you put the stills together to a 30fps avi it will look smooth, just like watching a DVD will look smooth. but if you don't have fast disks, the screendumping will lag the game while recording, which messes up the sound sync if you want sound also.. this could be solved too... but that would be going bit too far i guess. :-P

i think a lot of early gameplay footage we get to see from games is recorded this way. that way they can show it off in full speed even if the code is laggy and unoptimized.
mrMagenta

Post by mrMagenta »

the video is cool. i like the way the enemies are moving, the sinus wave pulsing gives it life. and things are looking good... so when do we get to play it? :P