Sonic Wings (aka Aero Fighters)

A forum for saving and showing off all your hi scores
Jeneki

Re: Sonic Wings (aka Aero Fighters)

Post by Jeneki »

Got a pcb for Aero Fighters recently. Been playing a lot, seem to be improving, but holy wow will I need to practice that last stage. Is the only way to select the second half of the character roster by playing the 2p slot? I want to experiment with time-stop bombs, but don't like using the 2p joystick.

Aero Fighters (pcb, North America verion)

Jeneki - 462,900 - 1-7 - Kohful
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Jeneki wrote: Is the only way to select the second half of the character roster by playing the 2p slot?
Well I only have the Oretachi Gaesen Zoku PS2 release of Sonic Wings (i.e. the ROM on a disc) but yeah, to use the 2p planes I had to have my stick plugged in to the 2nd port.
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

AERO FIGHTERS

DocHauser - 755,500 - 2-2 - Kohful - MAME
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Aero Fighters
Despatche - 447,200 - 1-6 - Keith - ShmupMAME

I played the "Sonic Wings" that functions like Aero Fighters. There are also actual Aero Fighters boards labeled Japan/Taiwan. Apparently MAME does not have the real Sonic Wings at all.

v3.0b, external autofire, etc etc
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Mero

Post by Mero »

Hmm, the original Japanese Sonic Wings seems to be pretty hard to come by. It is very easy though so it's not surprising that they made future revisions harder.
Pinehed

Post by Pinehed »

Aero Fighters

Pinehed - 501,900 - 1-7 - Kohful - shmupMAME

Perikles

Post by Perikles »

SFC version

Perikles – 648,800 – Rabio – 2-2

tinotormed's information is not quite correct. Every character goes to the second loop in the SFC version Sonic Wings, the US release Aero Fighters on the other hand consists of one loop regardless of the character.

Congratulations to Kollision for being a real man and toughing it out. :) His clear is much more impressive despite the lower score.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Ok, I'll seperate the SFC and SNES scores.

EDIT: How did Kollision make it to 2-1 if the SNES version doesn't loop? :?
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

He did play the SFC version according to his own blog. He probably just denoted it as "SNES version" out of habit.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

SFC version

Perikles - 786,300 - Rabio - 2-4

I'm on a SFC/SNES roll and decided to play this one again. I'm pretty sure I'd be able to 2-ALL it with Rabio if I tried to figure out some consistent routes. Not sure if I care enough, though. :lol:
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

SNES Version (Aero Fighters) - Played on Super Hard difficulty

Pegboy - 573,900 - Keith - ALL

Video

Really lame this version doesn't have the 2nd loop. Going to have to pick up the SFC version.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

So the SFC/SNES versions don't have an hiscore table, correct? How exactly do you take a snapshot of your score... it fades away the moment you die! Don't tell me you have to pause the game when you feel you're on the last leg of your last life... :shock:

Also, why everyone seems to favor the Viking...? I can do very little without Hien's homing missiles so far...
X - P - B
ProjectAKo

Post by ProjectAKo »

Big damage especially when up close
Huge shot spread
Max weapon power has a lot of ammo
Decent bomb which makes you invincible
Decent speed

That's why I recommend him for beating the game the first time
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

I think Rabio in the SFC port should be split for both versions. First, he does crazy damage. Second, he goes to all four random stages, which is an extra chunk of points. As it is, there's no point in playing as any character that isn't Rabio.

The unlockable "Super" difficulty in Aero Fighters SFC might be loop 2, as Sonic Wings does not have that code. I assume it's loop 2 as played on Normal difficulty. There's also a boss rush mode; difficulty does not appear to affect it, not sure if it loops.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Well if he plays an extra stage then yeah I'd better seperate him.
andsuchisdeath

Post by andsuchisdeath »

SNES

andsuchisdeath - 517,400 - ALL - Keith

Spoiler
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

Despatche wrote:I think Rabio in the SFC port should be split for both versions. First, he does crazy damage. Second, he goes to all four random stages, which is an extra chunk of points. As it is, there's no point in playing as any character that isn't Rabio.

The unlockable "Super" difficulty in Aero Fighters SFC might be loop 2, as Sonic Wings does not have that code. I assume it's loop 2 as played on Normal difficulty. There's also a boss rush mode; difficulty does not appear to affect it, not sure if it loops.
I'm pretty sure the SFC Sonic Wings works with the super difficult code too. I know for a fact the Super Difficult is different from loop 2 Sonic Wings though. There are suicide bullets on the satellites on the final stage in loop 2, they don't have them in any difficulty of Aero Fighters. Also, the "fortress boss" fires way, way more shit on loop 2.
pegboy

Post by pegboy »

andsuchisdeath wrote:SNES

andsuchisdeath - 517,400 - ALL - Keith

Spoiler
Nice job, that was a pretty fast clear!
Dumple

Post by Dumple »

Aero Fighters:
Dumple - 675,600 - 2-2 - Kohful - MAME

Kohful is indeed a solid character. Newbie tip: When powered up, Kohful fires off missiles each time you hit the fire button, so pound away and don't just rely on the built-in rapid-fire.

Playthrough:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0kF6RcrInHo
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

pegboy wrote:I'm pretty sure the SFC Sonic Wings works with the super difficult code too. I know for a fact the Super Difficult is different from loop 2 Sonic Wings though. There are suicide bullets on the satellites on the final stage in loop 2, they don't have them in any difficulty of Aero Fighters. Also, the "fortress boss" fires way, way more shit on loop 2.
The code that works with the US version does not seem to work with the JP version, I looked into all the codes when making that post. If the JP version has a different code, I don't know about it.

Hm, guess Super is a little more like Gradius III Arcade difficulty. Oh well.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Aero Fighters

Perikles - 1,034,300 - 2-6 - Kohful - MAME

Played a single credit of this to test something out - I actually recorded a video, but this run is so horrendous I'd rather not upload it. :lol:

Anyway, the reason I played this was because of the description in the opening post of this very scoreboard:
Mero wrote:EDIT: For this first instalment of the series, Aero Fighers is much harder than Sonic Wings. Aero Fighters also has higher scoring potential. The tables are now split for this reason.
You see, this statement is both correct and completely wrong. It seems to work like this:

- There's Sonic Wings as is playable in MAME. This one is actually the hardest version to play by quite a large margin, you have nastier enemies (sometimes even more of them in certain spots; the huge helicopter in the sixth stage is always present in Sonic Wings, for example, whereas it doesn't show up in Aero Fighters unless the rank is really high) to deal with, power-ups don't last as long etc.

- Aero Fighter is easier than the above Sonic Wings, but apparently harder than...

-... whatever they used as basis for the PS2 port. I don't own this version myself, but from watching a Kohful 1-ALL video of the PS2 port I can clearly tell that they somehow changed the game entirely to make it significantly easier (looks like the rank takes forever to rise or something along those lines). This Sonic Wings is not comparable to the arcade Sonic Wings, it's just as much of a revision as the SFC version to be frank.
Mero

Post by Mero »

It would be interesting to know what's written in the little booklet that comes with the PS2 release. There's a picture of a PCB in there so I can only assume it's an arcade revision and not some hack job.
ProjectAKo

Post by ProjectAKo »

Wasn't there a really easy rare version of Sonic Wings that was actually the original release of the game? Maybe it's that. Also that's a nice score. You should go for the WWR. :P
KoopaTGR

Post by KoopaTGR »

Despatche and THE ALLETT's scores should be moved to the PCB/MAME board as they were played using the newer Japan version. Therefore THE ALLETT is the community record holder, and Mero's score is not comparable to the Japanese records.

Just saying so the hall of records thread can be updated.
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Correct.
Perikles wrote:- Aero Fighter is easier than the above Sonic Wings, but apparently harder than...
Are you positive? The various versions in MAME all feel identical, and are randomly named either Aero Fighters or Sonic Wings anyway.
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

I'll have a closer look at it, but here are some things that seem to be different between "aerofgt" and "sonicwi" (I checked those two, don't know about the rest):

- Ammunition in Aero Fighters seems to last longer which obviously makes a huge difference.

- The first huge chopper in stage 6 is always present in Sonic Wings, but only at high rank in Aero Fighters, the rank in that stage feels higher in Sonic Wings in general.

- Fifth boss has a tendency to use nastier patterns in Sonic Wings (maybe rank-related, too?).

- Scoring is different, anyway. Don't quote me on the exact figures, but the boss in the Japan stage is several ten-thousand points more worth in Aero Fighters, there are probably several other differences, too.

I might be wrong, I haven't studied it all that thorough, but I'm pretty sure that Sonic Wings is quite a bit harder, especially in the second loop. Will examine it at some point in time!
Baron Rojo

Post by Baron Rojo »

Baron Rojo - 1,305,100 - 2ALL - Kohful - MAME (Aero Fighters)

Video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN97w4QUIo4
Last edited by Baron Rojo on Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
ProjectAKo

Post by ProjectAKo »

I watched it earlier. Breaddy good replay :D .
Mero

Post by Mero »

Good score, will check out your vid.
Macias

Post by Macias »

Aero Fighters

Macias - 1,383,300 - ALL - Kohful - shmupMAME 4.2

autofire ON (12Hz)

replay part 1, part 2

Would you consider splitting boards by character if there's some more interest, Mero? I'm planning another AF 2-ALL (using Keith) and maybe a few 1-ALLs.