Starhall 2

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Pteriforever

Starhall 2

Post by Pteriforever »

Starhall || Abmneshi || Starhall 2
RegalSin wrote:The art in my opinion is quesitonable, because it looks like it relies on computer art
Cagar

Re: Starhall 2

Post by Cagar »

Nice, will totally check it out later today. Nice to see it finished! There's never enough shmup releases.
because.. you all know..
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Just played earlier and oh my god, that stage 4c boss theme is fantastic. Where did you find that?
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Pteriforever

Post by Pteriforever »

Cagar wrote:Nice, will totally check it out later today. Nice to see it finished! There's never enough shmup releases.
because.. you all know..
Lord Satori wrote:Just played earlier and oh my god, that stage 4c boss theme is fantastic. Where did you find that?
It's called Light In the Darkness of Destruction, it's from an otherwise mediocre flash game called Bullet Heaven.
RegalSin wrote:The art in my opinion is quesitonable, because it looks like it relies on computer art
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

i assume this is why you haven't bothered to update abmneshi and starhall? reminds me of zun development, heh. i think you need to put this thread in your sig and in the score thread

good call on swiping bullet heaven music, that game totally deserves it. they probably swiped it from somewhere else though
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
mehguy

Post by mehguy »

Shouldn't this be in the development forum?
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Nah, looks like a release thread.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Finally gave this a go and the game crashed on stage 4 for me playing with Purple B on hardest difficulty. :(

What pissed me off the most was the inconsistently-volumed MP3s leading to an unnecessarily large download. If you're going to have a lot of music in your game you seriously need to stop using GM's internal system, it's a mess, it causes game stutter on loop as well as pretty much whenever a track is loaded and it gives alarm bells for amateurism. Normalise the tracks with Audacity, remove any prebaked loops in them, save as OGGs and use something like Caster or SuperSound to load them externally and load the associated tracks to be used for a stage before the stage starts, and give credit where it's due. I use GMFMODSimple and loop points for fancier tracks but I don't think you'll need it in this case, should you choose to go that route however feel free to look at GMOSSE to see how I implemented it. Also if you're going to go with Pokemon music you might as well use the originals in hi-def instead of some shitty microphone-recorded version.

Now, engine issues aside I'm digging this. I had some trouble reading the instructions because it was hard to read black text on dark trippy shit-coloured rainbow background but fortunately I was able to get the hang of it easy which is a must for shmups, and the patterns were generally nice and Cavey. I don't mean to rip this game to pieces, more people need to give this a spin - you make a gem by putting it in the tumbler and shaking, not by ignoring it.
Pteriforever

Post by Pteriforever »

Despatche wrote:i assume this is why you haven't bothered to update abmneshi and starhall? reminds me of zun development, heh. i think you need to put this thread in your sig and in the score thread

good call on swiping bullet heaven music, that game totally deserves it. they probably swiped it from somewhere else though
Okay, done ^.^
BPzeBanshee wrote:Finally gave this a go and the game crashed on stage 4 for me playing with Purple B on hardest difficulty. :(

What pissed me off the most was the inconsistently-volumed MP3s leading to an unnecessarily large download. If you're going to have a lot of music in your game you seriously need to stop using GM's internal system, it's a mess, it causes game stutter on loop as well as pretty much whenever a track is loaded and it gives alarm bells for amateurism. Normalise the tracks with Audacity, remove any prebaked loops in them, save as OGGs and use something like Caster or SuperSound to load them externally and load the associated tracks to be used for a stage before the stage starts, and give credit where it's due. I use GMFMODSimple and loop points for fancier tracks but I don't think you'll need it in this case, should you choose to go that route however feel free to look at GMOSSE to see how I implemented it. Also if you're going to go with Pokemon music you might as well use the originals in hi-def instead of some shitty microphone-recorded version.

Now, engine issues aside I'm digging this. I had some trouble reading the instructions because it was hard to read black text on dark trippy shit-coloured rainbow background but fortunately I was able to get the hang of it easy which is a must for shmups, and the patterns were generally nice and Cavey. I don't mean to rip this game to pieces, more people need to give this a spin - you make a gem by putting it in the tumbler and shaking, not by ignoring it.
Not sure why there'd be crashes, nothing like that ever happened for me... it's probably something on your end? Computers are weeiird.

I'll look into the sound systems, that sounds useful~ I used EpicPilgram15's Pokemon remixes, I ended up having to use a youtube-to-mp3 website to get them which is obviously bad for quality but a lot of the other music had the same process and turned out okay... I'm not really sure.

Anyway, thanks for the feedback!
Aleksei

Post by Aleksei »

Just tried it for the first time, got to the tlb on original first try before overing, good game, good job.

Btw, stage 3 music is the bomb, whats it called?
Image Image
[Cabinet 007]
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

Yeah, you should really index the music you use in a text file or something.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Pteriforever wrote: Not sure why there'd be crashes, nothing like that ever happened for me... it's probably something on your end? Computers are weeiird.

I'll look into the sound systems, that sounds useful~ I used EpicPilgram15's Pokemon remixes, I ended up having to use a youtube-to-mp3 website to get them which is obviously bad for quality but a lot of the other music had the same process and turned out okay... I'm not really sure.
Could be a few things but GM's audio system isn't too terribly good anyway and it's very likely "spontaneous" but tied to that sector in general rather than a single command you're using. If I ever get the time to try this again I'll see if I can replicate the crash.

For looping tracks MP3 just isn't going to cut it, and OGG as a format is better if you actually had the original source material in lossless format anyway. The volume was significantly different between tracks for me and this may have contributed to perceived quality, I suppose. Bit of effort but if you do it right you'll find it performs better and costs less in filesize in the long run.
Pteriforever

Post by Pteriforever »

Aleksei wrote:Just tried it for the first time, got to the tlb on original first try before overing, good game, good job.

Btw, stage 3 music is the bomb, whats it called?
Sorry it's taken me so long to reply... Anyway, it's untitled, it's by Kil6969, you can find it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i3_aL49zt3Q