beatmania IIDX thread

Anything from run & guns to modern RPGs, what else do you play?
RaidenViper

Re: beatmania IIDX thread

Post by RaidenViper »

Whatever you guys do, don't issue any ID's or invites to certain services.
Opethian

Post by Opethian »

enjoy spada
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Oh hey this thread exists, that's right.

I finally started playing again after many months of nothing (took a break more or less after the last time I posted in here because I was too busy with school, and then because I upgraded my PC to run an SSD boot drive and didn't have any room on my C: drive anymore for 40GB of IIDX). So I was rusty for a bit but it came back pretty fast.

Have a lot more AAs and HCs now, and made it to 6 Dan without much struggle. Tried 7 Dan but uh... THE SAFARI happened. So I'll come back to that at some point I guess. Currently playing in the 9/10 range; struggling to clear a lot of 10 charts right now but I feel like I'll break through the wall soon. A lot of charts feel like they're really close to being doable.
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Just skip 7 Dan and do 8 like I did. Fuck THE SAFARI
1CC List | YouTube Channel | Twitter | RebKMG/KMG
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

When I was learning The Safari, it was very helpful for me to recognize that the horn sections included "swung" notes similar to what you see in Shoichiro Hirata's 2 Step songs (are those still around?). I think they were the bells and are hard to hear, but if you have a way to listen to someone AAAing the song you'll hear it in their keypresses. Understanding that and trying to play it properly helped keep me in the track's rhythm and once you have that part down it's not so terrible.

I was hoping the double chart might split those notes onto a separate side for easy illustration, but they're not charted in DP at all.

I really like The Safari musically. Slow version is better though. :)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Lol is Safari really that hard? I barely made it in Tricoro. But haven't done it in Spada yet.
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

To be fair the rest of the songs in 7 Dan aren't that easy for me right now, so it was more like I limped into that song and then just got completely wrecked. But having played it in practice too it definitely just feels like an arbitrarily hard chart for its difficulty ranking and Dan placement.

And CStar, I think I know the parts you're talking about... if it's what I'm thinking of it has definitely thrown me off before. Good advice, thanks.
I love Ibara.
Opethian

Post by Opethian »

the safari is just a cluster fuck on the right side of the chart. Id say its harder if you are a 1p side (left turntable). Its much easier on 2p side. I only ever beat it on mirror or random 1p side :(
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Anyone else using the Lane bar (sudden)? I just started using it, and setting down the speed. My timing has improved alot. But in harder songs (like Safari...) it is much harder to see the space between notes :(
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

EDIT: Yeah I play 1P side :V

I always use Sudden, yeah. One thing to keep in mind is that you can change the speed and spacing of notes while using Sudden, so on denser charts you might want to show more of the board to increase the spacing between notes. If you use Sudden and Floating High Speed, you have a lot of control over how fast the notes travel and how spaced out they appear.

My only problem with it is that I have no idea how to react to BPM shifts since I started using it (though I wasn't exactly good at them before). I mean, I know about the "press start 4 times" trick, but that takes time to do and I can't imagine it being as viable on a proper cab due to the sheer distance involved.
I love Ibara.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

Softdrink 117 wrote: My only problem with it is that I have no idea how to react to BPM shifts since I started using it (though I wasn't exactly good at them before). I mean, I know about the "press start 4 times" trick, but that takes time to do and I can't imagine it being as viable on a proper cab due to the sheer distance involved.
You do the old towel trick ;3
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk
Opethian

Post by Opethian »

I don't use sudden+ maybe that's why I haven't gotten any better. I do use floating high speed tho. Green number around ~320
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Opethian wrote:I do use floating high speed tho. Green number around ~320
Woah that's exactly same speed I use :D I highly recommend to try out sudden+.

ugh... I hate songs with changing BPM. like this one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJQlBSOgLX4 pretty brutal :P
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Yeah Sudden+ is pretty useful, though it's sort of hard to explain why at first. I was used to playing on a fairly small monitor so I never really used it until I played at Khoa's. The screen was so big, reading notes kind of fucked with my peripheral vision so I ended up using Sudden+ to recreate the comfort I had when reading notes in a smaller area.
Opethian wrote:I don't use sudden+ maybe that's why I haven't gotten any better. I do use floating high speed tho. Green number around ~320
It doesn't really matter. Use whatever makes you feel comfortable -- though sometimes it's a good idea to try out different things. For a time, I had a problem with hitting notes much too early. The problem wasn't the offset but rather me just reacting too early. The way I circumvented this was using Lift to slightly raise the hit line.
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
Opethian

Post by Opethian »

Im trying to get the number down under 300. When I was at MGC most of the better players were using ~250 or lower with sudden + but that just scrolls too fast for me. Im slowly approaching that number towards 300/
Carmen

Post by Carmen »

:oops: I play at 330... it is better to work on improving your Sud+ but I think forcing yourself to play too fast isn't as helpful, as say, playing on Random.

That said I can only clear 4 Dan on CS 2DX, so yeah... unfortunately the monitor on our arcade cab (Lincle) lags badly...

Has anybody tried a Rainbow Portable btw? I'm thinking of getting one, I have a DJ Ning in the States and its great and all but I find its best used when standing up to play. My current living situation doesn't easily allow for that, and since I'd be playing off a computer screen...
"Mercy on the Earth"

三十六計走為上策
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Never tried a Rainbow controller before. But many players seems to like them. They even have analog support for the turntable. But the new DAO controllers now use a newer PCB with analog support as well. people complains about the stock buttons tho. But Sanwa buttons with Omron switches are the best choice anyway.

I actually prefer to play seated... I noticed when I played on a real machine in Japan that my hand got really tired. Probably because the height of the turntable was rather low compared to what I'm used to lol
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

I've never played on a Rainbow, but I've heard mostly good things. I have a newer Dao FPS (although not one of the newest ones with the new PCB that reports analog correctly over USB), and quite honestly the default buttons are not bad at all -- it's the microswitches you have to be careful with. This video from DJ Darqs does a great job of explaining how to set up your keys whether you're using Sanwa or Dao buttons.

As far as GN goes -- I usually play at exactly 300. I've gone as low as 280 before on open lanes without much discomfort, but I haven't yet found a real need to go faster, and my timing is more consistent at 300. I generally have between 1/3 and 1/2 of the lane covered, but I will adjust the amount of cover on some songs dramatically (very dense charts I often open up a *lot* more, for example).

And I always play standing up now for pretty much that exact reason RaidenViper; I used to play seated but after playing on a real machine I realized that it was a totally different hand and body position. I also find it's just more fun to play standing up for whatever reason.
I love Ibara.
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

I sort of cycle between 290~300 GN. When I'm having a bad day, I stick with 300.

Playing while sitting down creates a lot of discomfort on my hands so I prefer playing while standing up. Are the newer DAO PCBs that have analog support for all DAO IIDX ASCs after a certain date or are they for the newer products (pretty much Real Edition 2nd for now)?
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

I think the new PCB are included in all of their IIDX controllers. My new Real Edition Double came with 2 of the newer PCB's. although I replaced them with something even better.
Opethian

Post by Opethian »

I get hardly any lag with 2 KASCs and a parallel adaptor. just have to get a better stand with the correct height.
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Sorry a little offtopic...

SDVX 3 Gravity Wars got released today at the arcades.
source: https://twitter.com/Taito_Akihabara/sta ... 9200827392

Some gameplay from Konami's stream today: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqMKq6x ... tLmJxUVOnQ

Hopefully the ''zooming'' won't distract the gameplay too much. Can't wait to try this :D
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

The zooms don't seem too bad but I'm sure there will be some bullshit chart that will abuse it like Vallis-Neria. I actually like how the knobs can start anywhere in the highway now too since it requires more thinking. The fact that BT/FX buttons can now overlap scares me though.
KAI

Post by KAI »

SDVX looks soooooooo complicated to me.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

I've never understood what is going on in SDVX.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

The normal small white notes are played with your fingers (4 buttons), the orange, slightly bigger notes are played with your palms (2 big buttons), and for the blue & pink lines you have to adjust the volume knobs (2 of them).
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

what is this memoshit :?

Also, the in-game button interface doesn't look like SDVXII shit at least.

EDIT: Oh wait, I thought it was a cop-out chart at first until I realized you can actually change the lasers to whatever colour you want.
beatsgo

Post by beatsgo »

For those who's has been following IIDX for a long time (interview with our very own shmups forum member, CStar!)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=21JC9b7yhV8

Update on Pendual: rediscovered a play style that I haven't used on IIDX for a long time. Mind you, this is on 1P
Finger position: 1(LH pinky or ring), 2(LH Middle Finger), 3(LH Thumb), 4(RH Indx), 5(RH Thumb), 6(RH Middle), 7(RH Ring or Pinky)
Coincidentally, I switched to this style and cleared an Level 11 song I never played before. God, I love this game so much X3
Just a matter of time before I pass 9th Dan (Sampling Paradise) and beat more Level 11.

Also, going to order a DJ Dao PE 2013 this week. Gonna get gud on 2P side

...thus the devil speaks (666 post, oooooo)
Ex-STGWeekly Crew
Sky of Pin
LoserGaiden
shmups IRC wrote:wich linode wud u fuk