Show them if you've got them - Candy cabs

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Thamiel

Re: Show them if you've got them - Candy cabs

Post by Thamiel »

Yeah would definitely take a lot of the guess work out of it, not sure about hacking up the original bezel though. I don't have a spare unfortunately.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

opt2not wrote:I think the bezel is going to be tougher. Especially since on the NAC, the original bezel is much more curved than an E3. The LCD would probably have to sit a bit deeper in.

I'll reserve a project like this to when the Nanao in my cab dies and isn't salvageable. So like, in another 30-40 years maybe :lol:
Don't worry 4k displays will be a penny a dozen by then.....heck we'll probably have seen 8k and be on 16k displays by then. In which case with the advancement in screen resolutions and software shaders for CRT emulation, we will have the ability to produce perfect authentic CRT look on LCD screens

I'm still hoping some company will sometime in the near future do a KickStarter for 4:3 4k LCD displays, for this very purpose
leonk

Post by leonk »

lettuce wrote:
...we will have the ability to produce perfect authentic CRT look on LCD screens
That will never happen. the following characteristics of CRT (which bring back memories to gamers that grew up with them) will never be reproduced:

- curvature of screen
- blacks that are really a tinge of grey
- humming and static sound from CRT
- glow of the phosphor

some of these characteristics are actually negative, but in my book, they are the "charm" of CRT.
lettuce

Post by lettuce »

leonk wrote:
lettuce wrote:
...we will have the ability to produce perfect authentic CRT look on LCD screens
That will never happen. the following characteristics of CRT (which bring back memories to gamers that grew up with them) will never be reproduced:

- curvature of screen
- blacks that are really a tinge of grey
- humming and static sound from CRT
- glow of the phosphor

some of these characteristics are actually negative, but in my book, they are the "charm" of CRT.
All of those can be simulated in the shaders for Retroarch at the moment (bar the humming, that said the Vectrex emulator actually emulates the buzz of that system), the only thing thats causing issues at the moment is display resolutions, but once 4k displays are mainstream this wont be an issue
leonk

Post by leonk »

how can you simulate the glass curvature of a 25" CRT arcade monitor???

All new display technology is flat (or curved, but in the wrong direction)

Also, when it comes to CRT glow .. I still never found an emulator that can emulate a vector based display on a raster or LCD one to perfection. I can't imagine CRT will be 100% emulated. For most people, it would be "good enough" (Especially to those that never grew up with it) but us old timers will always know it's fake and not good enough.

Look at the folks that are restoring B&W TV's from the 1940's and 1950's .. same thing.
el chuddo

Post by el chuddo »

It's my last chance to show these all together. As hard it was to get everything just right, I am forced to sell one. All of these EII's have original control panels, decked out with Seimitsu purple bubble-tops and Sanwa dark blue buttons just like the EII's at the Taito HEY gamecenter. And, of course they all have the blue Taito ashtrays found there. All but 1 are running double JAMMA's. Keep an eye out for my sales thread.. I'm gonna list one soon. Sorry for the crumby pics.. It's tough to get all 5 in the frame tastefully.
WarLord wrote:You're right, I stop here too, I don't know why I'm searching, I have to fight with people who haven't been at toilets today.
AKRATEN

Post by AKRATEN »

WOW!!
:shock: :D
Awesome...
el chuddo

Post by el chuddo »

AKRATEN wrote:WOW!!
:shock: :D
Awesome...
Thanks AKRATEN!
WarLord wrote:You're right, I stop here too, I don't know why I'm searching, I have to fight with people who haven't been at toilets today.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

El chuddo: Just amazing. And so sad that you have to sell one. :(
el chuddo

Post by el chuddo »

monouchi wrote:El chuddo: Just amazing. And so sad that you have to sell one. :(
Thanks monouchi!
Stompp

Post by Stompp »

el chuddo: That's a seriously nice row of ladies you've got there. Better get your 8) on to avoid sunburn ;) Sad to hear you have to let one go :(
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Wow, that is glorious. Sad to hear you have to let one go...
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
el chuddo

Post by el chuddo »

Stompp wrote:el chuddo: That's a seriously nice row of ladies you've got there. Better get your 8) on to avoid sunburn ;) Sad to hear you have to let one go :(
emphatic wrote:Wow, that is glorious. Sad to hear you have to let one go...
Thanks Stompp and emphatic!! Really appreciate the empathy from all you guys in regards to the "downsizing" of my living-room (mini)arcade. Still, in the grief of the impending loss.. very grateful to retain the other 4 after #5 is gone.

And, yes.. these will definitely light up the room on a dark night.. as well as make the room a bit warmer!
Gamez

Post by Gamez »

Do the prices for Candy Cabs pretty much depend on how desperate you are to have one?
A few months back you kind of knew about much an Egret would cost or an Astro etc,
now prices appear to be all over the place,
although, probably due to people actually reluctant to let go really.

I find Candy Cabs similar to SNES's in terms of the rapid price increase,
people still pay big money even if its yellowed - as long as it works lol

Any thoughts?
chempop

Post by chempop »

DAAAAAMN el chuddo, I didn’t know you had quintuplets (and all tate too), unreal!!! Thanks for sharing the pix, I think you’ll live with the 4, but then again I’ve never had to say goodbye to a cab (though I’ve thought about it). I’ve always preferred the way matching cabs look in a row, compared to a mix match.

Gamez, a big factor on candy prices is not just location, but restoration work such as parts being replaced. For example, if a cab was bought in a group buy for $600, but the junky control panel was replaced with a brand new population panel, that alone adds roughly $200. Also, did the original buyer pay $250-400 to get the cab shipped to them, certainly that’s an expense that someone re-selling might want to recoup.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
el chuddo

Post by el chuddo »

chempop wrote:DAAAAAMN el chuddo, I didn’t know you had quintuplets (and all tate too), unreal!!! Thanks for sharing the pix, I think you’ll live with the 4, but then again I’ve never had to say goodbye to a cab (though I’ve thought about it). I’ve always preferred the way matching cabs look in a row, compared to a mix match.
Thanks chempop! Glad to share the pics. The wall they are on had room for more, and I had attempted some trades with known EII owners to complete the wall. That would have been a great pic! Selling one has made me realize that I was at the peak and am now trying to show the 5 for the last time before it's a tale of past glory.

Here's another pic of the cp's.. sadly the closest (and only) one has the repro 100yen coin sticker. I had to show them from that side, because that og 1L 6B is the only one I've got.. and was the toughest (and most pricey) to source.
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

el chuddo wrote: Here's another pic of the cp's.. sadly the closest (and only) one has the repro 100yen coin sticker. I had to show them from that side, because that og 1L 6B is the only one I've got.. and was the toughest (and most pricey) to source.
Yep, my holy grail is a original E2 1J6B panel.
ratikal

Post by ratikal »

monouchi wrote:Finished.
Amazing set up. What are the size of those posters?
monouchi

Post by monouchi »

ratikal wrote: Amazing set up. What are the size of those posters?
50x70cm
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

:shock: Christ almighty you guys have some nice cabs and set ups.
My beat up NAC is no where in the same league as these nice and shiny Egret IIs. Cool stuff.

Monouchi that Taito Station sign is very sweet.
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
rancor

Post by rancor »

el chuddo wrote:And, of course they all have the blue Taito ashtrays found there.
The ashtrays on the 2nd floor are black now. The blue ones are only on the 3rd floor (fighting games / mahjong). :mrgreen:
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

rancor wrote:The ashtrays on the 2nd floor are black now. The blue ones are only on the 3rd floor (fighting games / mahjong). :mrgreen:
Great info! What about the red ones?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
chempop

Post by chempop »

"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
bradtemple87

Post by bradtemple87 »

I like the layout change josh! Did they fit in the same room?
chempop

Post by chempop »

Thanks dude! Yup, still in the same room! My motivation was getting the Super neo away from the baseboard heater, and mixing it up for my next get together lol.
I can still barely open one of the curtains behind it now for that much needed winter-warming-daylight 8)
OlDirty

Post by OlDirty »

Really awesome setups here. :shock: Thanks for sharing
Does anybody know the original button colors on a 2 player panel for the Egret 2 ?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

OlDirty wrote:Does anybody know the original button colors on a 2 player panel for the Egret 2 ?
According to the flyers, it's yellow for player one and green for player 2.

http://flyers.arcade-museum.com/?page=f ... 10&image=1
chempop

Post by chempop »

^That’s hideous. :lol: When Taito started reselling control panels I’m pretty certain that they were populated with P1 all violet sanwa snap in, balltop and start buttons, and all dark blue P2 side.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Well, not all ladies look so hot au naturel. :lol:
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Yeah, the manual says different IIRC.