The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

The place for all discussion on gaming hardware
Ed Oscuro

Re: The Supergun discussion and Q&A thread.

Post by Ed Oscuro »

RGB wrote:@Ed - What video encoder is in your supergun ?
I'll try to go and take a look, thanks for the help!
speedlolita wrote:RGB should be rock solid. Normally people only install transcoders because component is preffered in America.
I know, I'm baffled too. It's straight RGB output and nothing else. The wavy lines do not show up via 480i (PS2). Maybe I need to get some terminators for my PVM's inputs.

Update: I had a look at a number of PCBs. Aside from a couple disappointments with Raiden series boards, I noticed that the amount of waver definitely changes from board to board. Game content doesn't change the wave pattern, but the board type does.

The actual supergun design is...well, something older, I think. I had a look at it and there are a lot of large components but nothing that I can really recognize (other than capacitors and the like). I'll try to get some pictures of stuff if that's any help. I think it might be time to think about retiring this one though. Would love to get the design of one of the nice units seen here.
RGB

Post by RGB »

Not directly relevant to the thread, but I just thought this was awesome:

Doodles courtesy of our forum member 604_degrees, thank you!
opt2not

Post by opt2not »

T-shirt print please. :) 8)
Ex_Mosquito

Post by Ex_Mosquito »

Oof! That RGB made Supergun looks damn nice.

Here's my homemade Supergun made from parts bought from Maplins. It's a bit crude but it works nice. The variable resisters on the RGB lines are a must when using it on a generic Scart TV. Some PCBs have such high contrast it makes it unplayable sometimes. I also made an external speaker after buggering up my old TV speakers when I set the volume too high on a PCB :/

http://youtu.be/h01Sok6ATgI
My Arcade 1-Credit Replays
http://www.youtube.com/user/exmosquito
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Anyone know a decent Mini ITX or similar sized power supply I can use for my supergun? I've got a dinky 2A brick at the moment but getting rom errors when loading atomis wave games, assuming I'm not giving it enough current.

I don't need a -5V rail, but something like a Mini ITX would be perfect. Something with 10A on the 5V and 12V rail. However, finding one with good reviews is proving to be challenging. Not looking to get a big ATX power supply, I want something a bit more portable.

Anyone have any suggestions? The main problem is trying to find one that doesn't have numberous DOA, or caught on fire reviews =/. Thanks.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Pasky wrote:Anyone know a decent Mini ITX or similar sized power supply I can use for my supergun? I've got a dinky 2A brick at the moment but getting rom errors when loading atomis wave games, assuming I'm not giving it enough current.

I don't need a -5V rail, but something like a Mini ITX would be perfect. Something with 10A on the 5V and 12V rail. However, finding one with good reviews is proving to be challenging. Not looking to get a big ATX power supply, I want something a bit more portable.

Anyone have any suggestions? The main problem is trying to find one that doesn't have numberous DOA, or caught on fire reviews =/. Thanks.
Does it have to be ATX-compliant? There are some very nice small power supplies with +12 and +5V if that's all you need ... would be screw terminals, not terribly difficult to integrate into a supergun as long as it's not built with an ATX power connector
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

I'm up for any external solution that's compact (such as a power brick). Not exactly sure what you're describing with screw terminals. Mind elaborating? Thanks.
shmuppyLove

Post by shmuppyLove »

Pasky wrote:I'm up for any external solution that's compact (such as a power brick). Not exactly sure what
you're describing with screw terminals. Mind elaborating? Thanks.
Aha found it: http://na.suzohapp.com/all_catalogs/pow ... 80-0210-00
hanasu

Post by hanasu »

What box did you use? I'm looking into trying to house my Vogatek in some way and trying to find something that will fit everything is the hangup. Smart idea on the screw terminal kick harness business!
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Would 4A on the 12V rail be enough to support CPS2/Atomiswave and any other misc boards I throw at it?

Also, where can I find a nice 6 Pin thick pronged connector (male and female) to make a plug for it.

EDIT:

I think this would work perfect:
http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... 0-ND/96999

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/e ... -ND/500834
RGB

Post by RGB »

Pasky wrote:Would 4A on the 12V rail be enough to support CPS2/Atomiswave and any other misc boards I throw at it?
4A on the +12V line is plenty, most board use it only for amp; the CPS2 doesn't exceed 1A. I will repeat myself, but make sure you use thick wires for power supply.
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Awesome thanks, just ordered it.
mojo

Post by mojo »

RGB, any chance of some pictures of the inside of your Supergun? I'd love to see how you constructed it.
airs

Post by airs »

mojo wrote:RGB, any chance of some pictures of the inside of your Supergun? I'd love to see how you constructed it.
^^This please!
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Can a super gun play all formats of arcade games ?

Like cps 1,2,3 , ST-V
And mvs carts . All in one machine ?

Sorry for my noob question , don't hurt me
Arms installation complete Good luck
Artemio

Post by Artemio »

Axelay wrote:Can a super gun play all formats of arcade games ?

Like cps 1,2,3 , ST-V
And mvs carts . All in one machine ?

Sorry for my noob question , don't hurt me
Depends on the super gun itself. In general terms a jamma super gun will support all jamma games.

However the platforms you mention have their quirks and extensions over the jamma standard. All of them can be addressed when the super gun is built.

For instance, kick harness for each; Stereo adapters for external amplifiers; support for the fourth button in mvs; etc
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Thank you very much .

I'm starting to get it now 8)
Arms installation complete Good luck
RGB

Post by RGB »

Hopefully this inspires some supergun builders:

The key in this design was a PSU that wouldn't get hot or even too warm, and the suzo PSU did the trick, probably the best I've got chance to use up to date. The PCB for AV out, pots, buttons etc. is piggy-backed on the bottom PCB that has fuses and the rest of connectors. The ribbon tape has more pins that necessary for buttons, but I wanted to provide a fair amount of current to the saturn decoder PCB and the controllers, so iirc 8 lines are reserved only for power.

- https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7307/123 ... 47eb_h.jpg
- https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3681/136 ... a028_h.jpg

I get a lot of questions about this supergun, so to answer all - I won't be making any superguns like *this*. However, I have another supergun project underway, so watch this space : )
XianXi

Post by XianXi »

RGB wrote:Hopefully this inspires some supergun builders:

The key in this design was a PSU that wouldn't get hot or even too warm, and the suzo PSU did the trick, probably the best I've got chance to use up to date. The PCB for AV out, pots, buttons etc. is piggy-backed on the bottom PCB that has fuses and the rest of connectors. The ribbon tape has more pins that necessary for buttons, but I wanted to provide a fair amount of current to the saturn decoder PCB and the controllers, so iirc 8 lines are reserved only for power.

- https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7307/123 ... 47eb_h.jpg
- https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3681/136 ... a028_h.jpg

I get a lot of questions about this supergun, so to answer all - I won't be making any superguns like *this*. However, I have another supergun project underway, so watch this space : )
Very nice. Pretty similar to mine.

Did you have the saturn controller ports repopped or are you harvesting them from broken Saturns and Saturn Multitaps?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

RGB: That looks so damn clean... :shock: If you're gonna offer similar builds, what price would be asked, and what type of input/outputs are offered?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
RGB

Post by RGB »

Hey, thanks!

I cannot deliver any time and price estimates right now, I'll just post some stuff when it's ready.
The next will definitely have RGB video out only. For joypads - probably Saturn again (if supply allows), maybe NeoGeo because these have been requested a number of times.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

How about Undamned's USB converters?
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
RGB

Post by RGB »

There will be a DB15 version of undamned's converter, really handy if I go the DB15/NeoGeo way.

I know that including this as a standard would be a nice touch, but with the rest of stuff that goes inside, it can get cost prohibitive very fast. I want a solution that will be accessible for more people while still being quality stuff. That's all I can share 8)
mojo

Post by mojo »

Thanks RGB, I'm shamelessly stealing your ideals for my own build :-)

Splitting the PCBs out so you have separate controller inputs and AV/power boards is a really good idea.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

RGB wrote:There will be a DB15 version of undamned's converter, really handy if I go the DB15/NeoGeo way.
I'm not sure I follow. His DB15 solution is to use USB sticks/pads on a supergun with DB15, right? Do you mean offering them as a side order for superguns with DB15 connectors?
Pasky

Post by Pasky »

Question about where to get mono audio on the Jamma connector with a RCA jack. I have pin 10 going to the RCA, and pin M going to the RCA ground. Is this correct? I'm not getting any audio for some reason with it wired this way.

Also, anyone have a schematic for a good audio amp for general purpose use for boards that don't have amplified audio? Thanks.
XianXi

Post by XianXi »

Pasky wrote:Question about where to get mono audio on the Jamma connector with a RCA jack. I have pin 10 going to the RCA, and pin M going to the RCA ground. Is this correct? I'm not getting any audio for some reason with it wired this way.

Also, anyone have a schematic for a good audio amp for general purpose use for boards that don't have amplified audio? Thanks.
You need to build an attenuation circuit. The simple one is a voltage divider. Pin 10>10k resistor>RCA with a 1k tied to the 10K output and ground. And for the RCA you just connect the output to the center pin and ground to the ring.
RGB

Post by RGB »

A sneak peek at the prototype supergun PCB I've been testing for some time now : )

The final version of the PCB is slightly different and I hope to release a limited number of those (10 pcs) by the end of this year.
Last edited by RGB on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
XianXi

Post by XianXi »

Very nice!!
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Cool. What external PSU is that?