Anyone here play Magic: The Gathering?

A place where you can chat about anything that isn't to do with games!
Davey

Re: Anyone here play Magic: The Gathering?

Post by Davey »

BryanM wrote:Things like Stoneforge Mystic, I never understand how they get through. A Diabolic Tutor that plays the card it fetches for free and gives you a 1/2 creature as a bonus, all for two mana? It was like it was designed for vintage and designed to be banned out the gate. Even if Elbrus, Batterskull, and Tatsumasa didn't exist, and even if they didn't bring the wonderfully broken Swords back, it was just the kind of thing designed to explode the minute someone made a piece of gear with a high mana cost and low equip cost.
She is very powerful, but thinking about it from a Legacy standpoint (since she was eventually banned in Standard and is still banned in Modern), there are a lot of ways to prevent her from doing her thing:
- Counter her
- Stifle the search trigger
- Thoughtseize, Cabal Therapy, etc. for whatever was fetched
- Kill her before they can untap (moreso for expensive stuff like Batterskull, not so much Jitte which they can cast anyway)
- Vendilion Clique in response to activation
- Do something unfair that doesn't care about a 4/4 vigilant lifelinker :)

I thought I read once that R&D knew she'd be really good but underestimated her, especially with Batterskull. If her best targets were Swords of X and Y, she'd be very good but not quite broken. She will get even better over time as she gets more targets, just like Show and Tell gets better every time they print something that costs a million mana.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I played Standard pretty recently. G/W Aggro mostly. I even built a Standard combo deck(!) that only had 7 lands in it. Quite weird. I kinda fell off the horse though when my local card shop went out of business.

Basically I really like the game, but have no one to play with =/.

I still play DotP every once in a while.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Anyone remember these competitive tourney decks:

"The Weissman Deck" AKA The Deck: People though I was nuts running multiple Jayemdae Tomes and Disrupting Scepters, with only 2 Serra Angles, 1 Fireball to win. One of my favorite decks to use, hands down.

"Vice Age": When Fallen Empire and Ice Age were released the Red/Green speed deck got a huge boost with Lumberjacks and Tinder Walls. The combo of Howling Mines and Stormbind was insanely powerful. Then there was a Winter Orb and Ice Manipulator variation that had amazing control.

"Necropotence": Misunderstood and overlooked at first, this card made mono-black basically unstoppable. With the Hymn to Tourach, Drain Life, Sengir Vampires and Hypnotic Specters... absolutely no fun to face in competitive matches.

Back in the day, there were a lot of amazing decks, but for me those might have been the 3 stand outs that I used to just slaughter people with.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Aaaaaand now they're suing Hex for being too damn sexy and competitive.

Somehow, I have 0 sympathy for their stance. Mario and Dragon Quest somehow survived five trillion clones, what the hell is this game going to cost them besides putting a better effort into MTGO?

The complaint. One of the arguments: "They made $2 million on their kickstarter. Reasonably, that money should have been ours."
hanasu

Post by hanasu »

chempop wrote:Anyone remember these competitive tourney decks:

"The Weissman Deck" AKA The Deck: People though I was nuts running multiple Jayemdae Tomes and Disrupting Scepters, with only 2 Serra Angles, 1 Fireball to win. One of my favorite decks to use, hands down.
Does anyone remember the most noteworthy deck in the history of Magic? :shock:
KennyMan666

Post by KennyMan666 »

Looks like I never posted in this thread huh

Been playing Magic for a while. Currently more into it than I ever was I guess.

I never got started on Theros, I liked Return to Ravnica too much. I got one deck for each guild, and with the exception of some lands and two creatures in the Golgari deck they're entirely RtR block and don't have any off-guild cards. RtR just fit me so well, given that I almost always since I started playing Magic have gone for two-colour decks. One of the more insane decisions I've made Magic-wise was probably buying a Domri Rade, but now I have all the guild leaders and RtR Planeswalkers so I think those decks are pretty much done. (hahahahaha joke's on me decks are never done)

Also got a pure red Commander deck with Jaya Ballard at the helm, considering taking my spare Borborygmos Enraged and make a RG Commander deck with only RtR cards as well.
My 1CCs so I can find the list easier myself
<Despatche> you've been a thorn in the shmups community since the beginning, you're largely responsible for the horrible face of modern speedrunning
guigui

Post by guigui »

Used to play a lot back in the mid 2000. My own favorite deck in extended format by then :

This is Turbo-Stasis !

4 x stasis
4 x exploration
4 x gush
4 x thwart
4 x force of will
4 x impulse
2 x counterspell
2 x howling mine
2 x ensnare
2 x boomerang
1 x daze
1 x claws of gix
1 x morphelin
1 x feldon's cane

4 x forsaken city
4 x tropical island
14 x island
2 x forest

How to play :
- play stasis as early as possible. Turn 2 is ok if forsaken city is here.
- play exploration as soon as possible, drop lands
- feed stasis with forsaken city, dont hesitate to remove lands, impulse, mines.
- counter with thwart, draw with gush, replays lands.
- counter only creatures that may kill you, others are handled by stasis, ensnare and boomerang if needed.
- feldon's cane and patience is your main kill, I love it : "weeeeell, let me shuffle all those good graveyard cards in my deck"
- morphelin is almost useless, cane is the best.

Real fun to play with, awful to play against.
Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
Davey

Post by Davey »

hanasu wrote:
chempop wrote:Anyone remember these competitive tourney decks:

Does anyone remember the most noteworthy deck in the history of Magic? :shock:
I don't know if it's the most noteworthy, although it's certainly up there. Sligh (mana curve), Necropotence (using life as a resource), and ProsBloom (first "real" combo deck) are arguably just as historically significant.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

Never cared for The Deck or Stasis locks. Long slow boring games where your chance of winning ends long before the game does. At this point in my life, I wasn't aware of the word "concede" and my play group was all too stubborn to ever give up before a game ended.

Sligh was great. I had come up with the formula/curve on my own in what I referred to as my "Orc Deck" before reading about Sligh in The Duelist, but Paul Sligh refined it to near perfection and made it famous. My mental block was going tribal for the sake of being tribal, even though there weren't any real benefits to going all Orc. Paul Sligh wasn't trying to build a themed deck, so he was able to replace a lot of cards I was using with better and/or more resilient cards for his deck. Example, using Brass Man instead of Orcish Spy as one of his 1-drops, and using the extremely versatile Brothers of Fire (A card I otherwise loved) instead of Brassclaw Orcs.

Necropotence was really good, but it just reminds me of this guy who'd sarcastically say, "Ohh! Killer Nee-Crow," before crushing them with his burn deck.

However, for noteworthy decks, I'm inclined to lean towards something like Academy or Ravager Affinity simply because they both did significant damage to the game's popularity and resulted in massive bannings.

I only played against Academy once before it was banned. Our local metagame was still very isolated and everybody brought homebrews. I thrived in this environment. I built what would today be called Jund Aggro. Sedge Trolls, Kird Apes, Erg Raiders, burn, etc. Beat my way through a tournament where the prize was a Power Nine card; perhaps Mox Sapphire. I made it to the finals and faced some guy from out of town that I had never seen before. He was Playing Academy. That was perhaps my most unsatisfying match of Magic. There was no real interaction, he just took damage for a few turns, and then killed me with a combo. Probably the worst deck ever, from a game health perspective.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

I played MTG for a long time - I still play quite a bit.

-Prosperous Bloom was a very fun deck. I've sleeved it recently, and although it doesn't compete to well tuned out modern decks, it was quite a blast to play.

Every era has it's fair share or broken/memorable decks. I remember "Necro Summer", and we were all playing it. It felt absolutely amazing, but boiled down to who would get his Necropotence out first.

-We could play a little while with 4x Tolarian Academy, 4x Windfall, etc. and we knew it wouldn't last long. Sad we could never play with 4x Memory Jar in Type 2 back in the day... It was pre-emptively banned iirc.

-The desperation when facing an opposing Lin Sivvi, and understanding that you would not win the game.

-The resilience of Madness, when Wild Mongrel was a wannabe Tarmogoyf that enabled you to cheat other creatures into play.

-Around the same time, playing Pirates (Hoodwink, Rishadan Curpurse, Rishadan Footpad, RIshadan Port) against Psychatog, and watching them cursing as they realize they couldn't possibly win. I had an all foiled out Pirates deck... I'm still kicking myself for letting go of my set of foil Ports...

-I played Standard when Skullclamp was legal, and you could play affinity with artifact lands. The deck was really degenerate... I had foiled this one out completely too. I stopped playing the game from Kamigawa to M10, and swore I wouldn't touch foil cards.

I found myself going back to Vintage from Legacy/Modern/Commander these days. Nostalgia I guess... But it feels great playing with utterly broken cards. Brings me back to 1995!
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
guigui

Post by guigui »

KindGrind wrote:-I played Standard when Skullclamp was legal, and you could play affinity with artifact lands. The deck was really degenerate...
I loved that Skullclamp card
After all that banning in the Urza's cycle, how could they not think this was overpowered ?
I played it with lotta goblin and patriarch bidding, which meant instant kill.

Bravo jolie Ln, tu as trouvé : l'armée de l'air c'est là où on peut te tenir par la main.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Da, according to the article Aaron wrote on its banning, it just kind of fell through the cracks. It got a hefty mana cost reduction mid development by some goober, but with ~150 cards to look at, no one actually looked at the thing before it was too late to change. Even at +1/+0 it'd still be plenty powerful. One mana! Two cards! Repeatable! Madness.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Skullclamp is a card from yesteryear that has its uses even these days.

Inspired by a deck a guy named Adrian Becker built, I recently put together an Affinity Vintage deck with 4x Skullclamp, because it's the only format in which you can use a full set. It basically uses the same critters as Modern Affinity (Signal Pest, Memnite, Frogmite and Arcbound Ravager), but adds a set of Genesis Chamber to abuse Skullclamp. If it were only that, it would be all right but not too broken, but...

The deck also plays 4x Mishra's Workshop, a full set of Moxen, a Memory Jar, a Tolarian Academy and a pair or Gaea's Cradle. You basically draw your deck and swing for lethal with a pretty much unblockable Signal Pest.

All of that is possible because of the +1/-1 of Skullclamp. AFter having played Modern and Standard a bit, I find Vintage decks to be very fun to play because they take me back in time. Standard Affinity did the same thing essentially with less potent mana sources: you would draw quite a bit with Skullclamp, and ping your opponent with Disciple of the Vault in the process. While drawing your deck, you would kill the opponent, never even having to attack.

I'd say the closest recent Standard deck that was that powerful and resilient has to be Caw-Blade, which the DCI let dominate for a very long time, banning a few cards months away from the rotation. It ran Stoneforge Mystic, Squadron Hawks, Swords and Batterskull (!) and a few pieces of countermagic / Jace the Mind Sculptor. The deck didn't feel Standard at all. Add a few Duals and Force of Wills and you have a full-fledged Legacy deck.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Anything in m15 you're thinking of picking up? I preorder a copy of Sliver Hivelord and Sliver Hive for EDH. Anything else striking your fancy?
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

I played in some M15 events this past weekend. 2-2 in two-headed giant sealed. 4-0 and 3-0 in regular sealed. A few thoughts:

Can't they balance the promo cards better? The blue one was terrible.

The cards are attractive with the modified border and new font.

There didn't seem to be many strong removal spells. They were situational or very expensive.

The sealed format seems to favor slower decks and longer games. Expect a war of attrition. Mid-range creatures with activated abilities were very strong.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

I did two M15 sealed prereleases with horrible card pools (one 2-3 with three dual lands, the other won with one dual land and two even more unplayable mythics, The Chain Veil and Sliver Hiverlord).
I have a strong impression of a diluted set with too little of everything; slivers in particular are too few for a "tribal" deck (much unlike M14). It should be a better sealed format without the promo cards, and an even better draft format due to the remote chance of making a coherent deck. The set's contributions to constructed formats appear solid.
I managed to pull off silly combos with Roaring Primadox (Spirit Bonds, Resolute Archangel, etc.) thanks to the lack of removal spells. As far as mana costs go, apparently 7 is the new 5.
Davey

Post by Davey »

KindGrind wrote:I found myself going back to Vintage from Legacy/Modern/Commander these days. Nostalgia I guess... But it feels great playing with utterly broken cards. Brings me back to 1995!
The release of Vintage Masters online is pretty sweet. I don't play online, so I don't really benefit from it, but I just think it's awesome that sanctioned Vintage tournaments are happening every day of the week now. Not bad for a dead format.
MR_Soren wrote:The cards are attractive with the modified border and new font.
While I think the font itself is fine, I don't like that they changed it. Now on top of black vs. white borders and new vs. old frames, my OCD has to deal with another font? The horror.
MR_Soren wrote:There didn't seem to be many strong removal spells. They were situational or very expensive.
That just seems to be the ongoing trend, unfortunately. Just looking at the past few core sets, we had Doom Blade at common in M12, then Murder, then Doom Blade at uncommon, and now we get that 5 mana thing. Stab Wound got upgraded to uncommon (which is probably fine, since it's pretty absurd) and apparently Incinerate is too good to reprint anymore. Pretty much the same story in other sets too, but it's easier to track the trend in core sets year after year.
Ixmucane2 wrote:I have a strong impression of a diluted set with too little of everything; slivers in particular are too few for a "tribal" deck (much unlike M14). It should be a better sealed format without the promo cards, and an even better draft format due to the remote chance of making a coherent deck.
Were slivers really viable in M14 sealed? It just seems like a deck that'd only work in draft since you usually won't get a critical mass in sealed, although a couple of them were playable on their own without the tribal support.

I did one sealed event this weekend unexpectedly. I went to play Legacy at a local shop, but we didn't get enough to fire, so I headed across town to my friend's new shop that just opened this weekend (some friend I am for skipping that in the first place :roll:). I had an underwhelming pool and went 2-2. I don't think any of my games that night were particularly good; seemed like one person curved out while the other stumbled pretty much every game, but that's Magic sometimes. Having said that, I look forward to drafting the set. Draft >>>> sealed.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

Davey wrote:
Ixmucane2 wrote:I have a strong impression of a diluted set with too little of everything; slivers in particular are too few for a "tribal" deck (much unlike M14).
Were slivers really viable in M14 sealed? It just seems like a deck that'd only work in draft since you usually won't get a critical mass in sealed, although a couple of them were playable on their own without the tribal support.
Outside constructed formats, a tribal deck has to be defined weakly, as "I'll play this sliver because I play these other slivers", and Hive Stirrings + three or four sliver creatures was an effective component of relatively many sealed decks. This time slivers are too few and too odd to expect synergy.
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

My impression is that the slivers in M15 exist just so people can mix them with the M14 slivers and build a constructed deck. I don't believe they are playable in draft or sealed on their own, nor will they be playable in standard after M14 rotates out.
Davey

Post by Davey »

Slivers could also be a decent casual Modern deck now.
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

I also feel like M15 Slivers are a throw-in for casual players, but they're pretty bad in sealed.

In M14, I did successfully draft Slivers a few times, because many were good creatures on their own. I'd say the same for M15... I wouldn't hope to get many, but would take a few that are good on their own.

If I had Sliver Hive in my sealed pool I'd most definitely always play it. Although expensive, the 5: make a sliver ability is nothing to scoff at. I'd never pass it in draft, unless maybe there was a bomb rare or something like Tripicate Spirits in the pack.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

I would pass Sliver Hive 9 times out of 9 if I were playing to win~!

Anyway, did a godbook survey on their site today. Felt a lot like doing a survey on the Mechanical Turk, minus the part where they pay me the $0.80 I deserve for my time.

Did whine profusely about the lack of cohesion and new card frames (so hideous). The lack of a legendary phyrexian, the souls not really doing a good job of conveying the themes of the planes they're from (would have preferred an azorius creature for example), the slivers just being tossed in there for the hell of it (a changeling cycle would have given it some better function, as well as making Crucible of Worlds a stronger card. Hell, everything but the 5 color sliver could have been a changeling instead just to mix it up from last year. Back to back slivers is samey, isn't it?).

They can do better!
MR_Soren

Post by MR_Soren »

My partner ran Sliver Hive in 2HG. Our opponents attacked us with a 10/10 creature. My partner tapped 5 mana and his sliver hive and said, "We'll make a sliver token and block." One of our opponents then pointed out, "You need a sliver to activate that ability."

Didn't catch that when we first looked at the card. It seems excessively handicapped. Only logical reason I can come up with is to keep it from becoming the kill mechanism in control decks; thus lowering the demand and market price for the people who want to build sliver decks.
BryanM

Post by BryanM »

Poo yeah; six mana for a chump blocker isn't a great sink to begin with.

But of course its real power is in being far superior to a basic land in sliver decks. Makes playing a legion or overlord trivial. And then the chump you can summon isn't just a mere chump. Very strong. Very erotic.

^ Man I love this little guy. An Overlord's best friend. And an Undead Slayer's. Basically anything that hoses a certain creature type.

All my favorite cards are commons : [
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

MR_Soren wrote:My partner ran Sliver Hive in 2HG. Our opponents attacked us with a 10/10 creature. My partner tapped 5 mana and his sliver hive and said, "We'll make a sliver token and block." One of our opponents then pointed out, "You need a sliver to activate that ability."

Didn't catch that when we first looked at the card. It seems excessively handicapped. Only logical reason I can come up with is to keep it from becoming the kill mechanism in control decks; thus lowering the demand and market price for the people who want to build sliver decks.
I admit I had overlooked that. If you need a sliver, it's definitely vastly inferior... I saw it as an improved Urza's Factory...
BryanM wrote:I would pass Sliver Hive 9 times out of 9 if I were playing to win~!
Indeed, I would too, now that I RTFC. :wink:
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Khans of Tarkir is out.

The set had a very weird effect on me. As someone who owns all the cards, the fetchland reprint bugged me a lot.

Got me thinking... If these are reprinted, nothing Modern-legal is safe anymore. They said they would reprint stuff, and they're doing it. This sells packs. It puts more cards out there, attracts new players ans whatnot, and normally I'd say that's fine. I have never really cared about reprints, but for some reason this got to me hard. Got me thinking...

Considering I don't play competitively, do I prefer owning a set of Tarmogoyfs, or would I rather have a PCE Duo with Rondo, Spriggan and Lords of Thunder? Pretty sure that when I look at this "trade" a few years down the line, I'll be very happy I made it happen. I'm keeping my reserve-list staples, but the Modern-legal cards that are overpriced at the moment I decided to let go of. Lilianas, Caverns of Souls, Confidants, Vendilion Cliques, Cryptic Commands... transformed into AAA video games. I also sold 4-5 sets of fetchlands, mostly Zendikar (was anticipating reprint, but sold the wrong ones!) and the Polluted Deltas. Better get some money now before they become completely worthless... I may very well rebuy the Khans' Deltas when they hit 10$ (which they will), but at this point holding on to them didn't make much sense!

What's your impression on Khans?

(I realize my post seems very downer...:)
Limbrooke

Post by Limbrooke »

KindGrind wrote:Khans of Tarkir is out.

What's your impression on Khans?

(I realize my post seems very downer...:)
No, if anything it's good. I haven't played standard since the Invasion cycle so I could care less about modern reprints, unless it makes good general-use cards more affordable again. I look forward to $10 Flooded Strand and Polluted Delta once again. Granted I got these cards when I needed them long ago before a more recent spike in the last couple years. I say good on Wizards for doing this lest the prices go bananas - this is something they should've been doing a long time ago.
'Only a fool trusts his life to a weapon.'
KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

Which is why felt the reprint on Tarmogoyf was overdue, hence my selling. I bought mines at 20$ when I came back to the game, but at 200$ each it's getting out of hand, especially for a card that's potentially (and imminently I think) reprintable.

I do love the game still, which is why I traded for a Lotus in June to finish my set of UNL Power. Felt it was then or never (Vintage on MTGO sparked interest in good old cards or yore), and I'm very happy with it.
Davey

Post by Davey »

The fetchlands were overdue for a reprint. I don't follow it any more, but for a while I read Maro's blog. IIRC, he said they didn't anticipate the astronomical price jump, and since sets are designed a year or two before they're printed, they couldn't get them out as soon as they'd have liked. It's not healthy for the game when new players are priced out of it.

Anything not on the reserve list is fair game for a reprint, and as a player that's a risk you take when acquiring or holding onto expensive cards. Despite that, WotC is mindful of the secondary market and is careful about reprints. They have to be. Even though they don't profit from it directly, the secondary market needs to thrive in order for the game to stay alive. People aren't going to want to buy new product without some confidence that the cards will maintain value long-term. WotC has to perform a delicate balancing act of preserving the value of players' collections while keeping the game (somewhat) affordable and having enough cards in circulation to meet demand. I don't know what an "ideal" price for Tarmogoyf is, but I'm pretty sure it's a lot less than $200. I'm sure they'll reprint it (again), but it probably won't be in great enough numbers to really make it tank. But anybody that buys them in the meantime would be dumb to think they'll be $200 forever. Anybody who got them for a fraction of that price back in the day should be happy they got theirs on the cheap, even if the price drops before they sell them (still at a handsome profit most likely).

Like any price bubble, knowing exactly when to get out is tricky. I would have thought it was wise to dump Goyfs and Bobs prior to Modern Masters, yet here are, in a world where those cards got reprinted and the prices eventually doubled. I would have thought selling Underground Seas when they hit $200 was a good move, but now they're $300+. Something has to give eventually; there are only so many greater fools out there. Having said that, even though the market is pretty irrational, you can make certain assumptions about what will be reprinted, and more importantly, how they'll be reprinted. R&D has stated that cards like Goyf, Bob, and Clique are probably too good for Standard, which is why they got reprinted in Modern Masters instead. Reprinting them in a Standard legal set would have surely dropped the price, especially if they were regular rares instead of mythics. Thoughtseize is the perfect example of this; Scavenging Ooze and Urborg are good examples too, as is Mutavault to a lesser extent. Cards that get reprinted in special products don't drop as much, Conspiracy being a weird exception since it was designed to be drafted and thus a lot of it was printed.

Anyway, if you're not playing competitively, I think now is probably a good time to sell. In fact, I'm considering selling my Legacy cards even though I really like the format. Legacy tournaments are few and far between, largely because of the reserve list. The financial barrier is just too high for most new players. I would also sell my Modern staples if it wasn't for the fact that it's my favorite format and I play it a lot. :)

Speaking of Modern, I really like the addition of Onslaught fetches to the format. It could potentially bring some new contenders to the mix and shake things up a bit, which is a hard thing to do due to the size of Modern. I'm looking forward to seeing what comes out of it.

From a draft standpoint, Khans seems like a good format from what little experience I've had. The abundance of color fixing, flexibility of morph creatures, and high number of playables means you don't have to commit to your colors early on (or at all, I've seen people play 5 colors). I like this; to me drafts are more interesting when you have to decide what to cut at the end, as opposed to trying to figure out which marginally playable cards you have to play to round out your deck. Having more playables also lets you take more sideboard cards, which is also a good thing in my book. Also, drafting a set that has cards you actually want is a nice change of pace!
chempop

Post by chempop »

I would have thought selling Underground Seas when they hit $200 was a good move, but now they're $300+
This is a great example why I have to never think about magic again. They cost $5-10 for the majority of the time I was into the game. It was never about money for me but for some reason it still irks me to know what insane prices things go for now.

Great memories for sure, winning the local tournaments for powercards, placing damn high in tourneys out in Boston, defeating pros like Hammer and that guy who used to rage and throw chairs lol. I sorta called it quits after a troubling defeat in the semi-finals at PTQ (loss due to time running out). This was pre-rule changes (stack, etc), which I never bothered to fully learn.

long live mishra’s factories!!!
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc