GD: Mars Matrix

For posting and requesting strategic gameplay tips on shmups!
Rob

GD: Mars Matrix

Post by Rob »

Simple RQ, how to trigger the large cube during the small cube-spouting pod sequence? I've managed it by chance a few times without reflecting, and wondering why that is.

From rando's ST:
On stage 3, if you reflect a good deal of bullets on the pods on the right of the final building (the ones popping out if you keep shooting them), you can get a +50 cube.
So to repeat, I'm saying without reflecting.

edit: I changed this to a GD since I have more to discuss
Last edited by Rob on Mon Dec 26, 2005 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

No reflection, no cube, sorry :? i.e. you should trigger x cubes on the spot in a row, and this can happen only if you manage to pierce a few turrets in a row and have an overlap of cubes.Close to impossible if you're chaining properly, as you should absorb the attacks from the red ships just before the respawning turrets, here.
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Randorama wrote:No reflection, no cube, sorry :?
Hmm, I managed to get 2 or 3 large cubes at the spot in one game yesterday and still not sure why, since I always try to do the same thing (and most often get none that I can tell). When the large cubes are triggered, does this take place of the small cubes? I'm thinking that wouldn't be good, but if it's a bonus it's a bonus.
Randorama

Post by Randorama »

Nice question, but honestly, i never went beyond 1 cube obtained with a reflection. If the cube is the result of reflecting X bullets on the turrets and also an extra, it is obviously meant to keep the chain going: if not (i.e. a number of small bullets is converted into a big cube), it's really a funny prank upon the players. Only method i can think of, you should record a session and then check what's going on :?
Chomsky, Buckminster Fuller, Yunus and Glass would have played Battle Garegga, for sure.
Rob

Post by Rob »

I recorded triggering 1 large cube, but couldn't tell what I was doing differently. I'll keep at it, though.

Next question: strategic suicides. I saw you mention a boss suicide in the ST, but what about stage 3? All of the other chains I have from the start, and stage 3 is the most important stage for exp. I managed a +100 cube increase*, which would be about 200,000 exp bonus, but I think it might be able to add +200. I'm also thinking the large ship section on stage 4.

*I'll try to get a video of this up.
Rob

Post by Rob »

Here's an updated stage 3 replay for anyone interested. 2356 chain, 2.7m exp
Rob

Post by Rob »

There really is no point in attempting to chain the 5th boss, is there? They give out some small cube-dropping enemies to link stuff, but break it up in 3 worthless chunks. Best I can imagine is about a 500 chain and I'd like to see even that.

(I know no one cares about MM)
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

I care, pal, I play it every weekday after lunch. :) It's an awesome game.
I can get to the 6th stage on 1 credit - and my biggest problem right now is the 5th boss. I feel I'm almost done with my strategy to beat him, let's see where I'm gonna be in one month.